Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Part Thirty-Three :Good and Bad

Kenmore Middle School

Wednesday, February 28, 2001

8:10 AM

"Well, here we are," Lee pulled in front of the school. "You got everything you
need for today?"

Jenna nodded. "My homework's in here--I finished it all last night—even the
makeup assignments."

"Anything for me to sign?"

"Dad--they don't do that in Middle School."

"Oh yeah--I keep forgetting."

Jenna smiled slightly. "It's all right."

"You look really nice today." Lee said. He knew better than to mention the
concealer she wore to cover up her scar--yet another concession on the makeup
front.

"Thanks." Jenna stared down at her lap.

"How is school going for you these days?"

There was a brief hesitation. "The classes are going well," Jenna said finally.
"Math is good--and I got an 83 on a pop quiz in Social Studies--not an 'A', but
it's pretty good."

"Jenna--an 83--that's fantastic."

"Thanks," Another slight smile--but she still didn't look up.

What else could be bothering her? Lee wondered--then it struck him.

"How's school going--apart from the classes?" he asked gently.

Jenna shrugged. "It's not too bad, I guess."

"Is that girl still giving you a hard time?"

"You mean Terri?" Lee had struck a nerve there--she looked up at him. "Yeah,
she's still saying stuff--mostly I just try to ignore her now. Lisa says that
Terri's just jealous of me, but--" Jenna's voice broke off and she bit down on
her lip.

"But what?" Lee prompted.

"I don't know--I guess I don't understand why she would be jealous--I mean, what
happened to me, what Gary did to me--no one would want that to happen to
them--would they?"

"Well no--but Terri might be jealous of all the attention you're getting."

"She can have the attention," Jenna said quietly. "She can take it all if she
wants--I don't want any. Most people are being nice, I know--but I just want to

"Yeah, I know you do--and you will. You are."

"Yeah." Lee could hear the doubt in his daughter's voice. He pulled her into a
brief hug, kissing the top of her forehead.

"I love you, munchkin," he said. "And I want you to know that I'm very proud of
you--for everything."

"I love you too, Dad." Jenna returned the hug. "See you after school."

Shouldering her backpack she got out of the car. Lee watched her, making sure
she was inside the building before he pulled away.

 IFF

11:30 AM

Dr. Pfaff unwrapped an ice cream sandwich. "It's Neopolitan," he explained. "Not
just plain vanilla--every now and then I like to treat myself. Either of you
want one?"

Lee shook his head.

"No, thank you, sir--I'm fine." Amanda said.

Pfaff shrugged. "Suit yourselves--how did Jenna seem this morning?"

"She was fine--no big problems," Lee replied.

"Any nightmares last night?" Pfaff asked. Lee and Amanda shook their heads.
"How is school going for her in general?"

"Academically she's doing pretty well--better than she was," Lee said. "There's
a girl at school who's giving her a hard time, but Jenna seems to be handling
it."

"There's always going to be someone like that, unfortunately--with all the
coverage on the news--publicity like that is bound to bring out the worst in
certain people. Has Jenna seen any of the coverage?"

"No sir," Amanda said. "She's aware that it's on the news, of course-- but we've
been trying to keep her away from that--after what happened the last time we
don't want to trigger another flashback."

"Good idea," Pfaff took a bite of the ice cream. "Most of the recent coverage
has been sensationalistic--and with Gary's lawyer still making the rounds that
could really complicate everything at this point." He paused. "How are you two
doing? Any more nightmares?"

"No--not for the past few nights," Lee said.

"Good--very good." Dr. Pfaff nodded. "Everything seems to be settling
down--which is one of the reasons why I wanted to see you this morning."

"Because things are getting back to normal?" Amanda asked.

"Exactly," Dr. Pfaff said. "And because of that, I think we can start to taper
off Jenna's sessions to--let's say about once a week."

'Once a week,' Lee thought--that was good--very good.

"Now don't get me wrong," Pfaff said. "She's not out of the woods yet--there are
still going to be issues--but I think that this point we're definitely on the
upswing."

"What about the hearing coming up--and the trial?" Amanda asked. "Couldn't that
cause her to have a relapse?"

Pfaff took another bite of his sandwich. "I doubt it," he said. "I do expect
some setbacks around that time--nightmares--possibly even a flashback or
two--but nothing that would cause her to go backwards completely. We'll begin
preparing her for the court proceedings at later sessions--right now she has
other things to process."

"You said this was one of the reasons you wanted to see us," Lee said. "What's
the other reason?"

"The other reason is that I think we need a family session," Dr. Pfaff said.
"Both of you, Jenna, of course--and Mrs. West as well--not here in the office
but in your home."

"Why in the home?" Amanda asked.

"It's a more normalized setting--we can talk to Jenna about how the sessions
will be tapering off and work on what everyone can do to help her--and more
importantly--how she can help herself," Dr. Pfaff said. "This kind of trauma
affects everybody in a household--and Jenna needs a strong support system around
her while she heals."

Support system--for some reason Lee found himself thinking of the scaffolding
he'd seen around a building while driving to work. Soon the scaffolding would
come off and the building would stand on its own—but until then it needed the
support. Amanda's hand found his--he knew without asking that she was thinking
the same way.

"I think a family session would be a good idea," Lee said.

Kenmore Middle School

12:00 PM

"Please?" Lisa said. "Pretty please?"

Jenna sighed as she opened her locker, taking out her Math and Earth Science
book and putting the rest of the books back. "For the ten-millionth time,
Lisa--he answer is still no."

"Why?"

"Because--just because, that's why."

"But I can't do it by myself--not with everyone staring at me."

"And you think I can?" Jenna shut her locker and turned to face her friend.
"Lisa-- you know that the last thing I want is people looking at me."

"Yeah, I know--and I do understand--but--you're my best friend, Jenna--we always
did dancing together since we were little--it's going to be weird if I try out
and you're not there too--" Lisa's voice quavered slightly "Well, you know."

"Oh--" Jenna hadn't thought of it that way--how Lisa might be missing something
they always used to do together. "I'm sorry--I didn't think of it like that--"

"Hey there, Scarface."

Terri's voice seemed to fill the hallway. She stood there facing Jenna--hands on
her hips--flanked by two boys who looked like they were eighth-graders.

"Oh God, here it comes," Lisa muttered.

Taking a deep breath, Jenna mentally counted to ten before turning to face the
girl.

"Terri, in case you've forgotten, my name is Jenna," she said. "Maybe you should
write it down next time."

"Sure--if she knew the English language," Lisa spoke under her breath.

"What was that, Lisa?" Terri asked sharply.

"Who, me?" Lisa said. Jenna pressed her lips together to keep from laughing.
Terri walked over to Jenna.

"For your information I actually did write your name down," she said. "But when
I see those railroad tracks across your forehead I get all distracted again."
She moved closer. "The concealer you're wearing doesn't work, you know--everyone
can still see it."

'Everyone can still see--' Jenna felt the heat rising in her face--she looked
down--her eyes stung but she was determined not to cry--she would not show this
girl any tears.

"Awww...What's the matter, Scarface Stetson?" Terri taunted. "Going to fake a
flashback or something?"

"Terri, don't they have a word for 'shut up' on your planet?" Lisa said. "I
don't know what makes you so stupid, but it really works. Now back off !"

"You think I'm stupid, Lisa?" Terri said. "You're the one who still believes her
crazy kidnapping story. At least I know she's faking-- I'm not living in
ignorance."

Ignorance--suddenly Jenna recalled something she'd once heard Francine say. She
looked up at Terri's face--only inches from her own. She drew in another deep
breath before speaking.

"Terri--you know what? If ignorance was bliss, I think you'd be the happiest
person alive."

"Burn!" a boy yelled. Someone else started clapping--Jenna was too embarrassed
now to look and see who it was. The older boys who had been with Terri stepped
away from her now, shaking their heads.

Terri's cheeks reddened--she glared at Jenna. "You little--"

"Is there a problem here?" Mrs. Brooks came up. "What exactly is going on?"

"No ma'am--there's no problem," Terri said.

"Well that's good, Terri--because if you're late for class one more time you'll
get a one-day suspension instead of the detention you've already had. Do I make
myself clear?"

Terri's face was now a deep shade of plum. "Yes Mrs. Brooks--I understand."

"Good--now run along." Casting one last glare in Jenna's direction, Terri
whirled around and disappeared down the hallway. Mrs. Brooks looked at Jenna.
"Is everything all right?"

Jenna nodded. "It's fine--everything's fine."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Good." The older woman patted her shoulder gently. "Now you need to get to
class too, all right?"

"Yes, Mrs. Brooks--thank you."

"Wow, Jenna--what you said really put her in her place," Lisa said after Mrs.
Brooks left. "Very cool."

It had been cool--and now that Mrs. Brooks was aware Terri might think twice
about harassing her. Jenna thought that she should probably feel happy--but all
she felt instead was tired and a little numb.

"You okay?" Lisa asked her.

"I'm great." Jenna tried to smile. "Let's get to class, huh? We really don't
want to be late."