- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
Part Ten: Day Out

Tuesday, February 6, 2001

9:30 AM

"So, where would you like to go today?" Francine asked as they got into her car.
"I know we said the mall but it's your choice today, Jenna--my treat."

"The mall sounds nice to me." Jenna struggled to pull and fasten the seatbelt,
her teeth gritted with the effort. "We could always--eat at the Food Court."

"Oh, I think we can find better places to eat than the Food Court," Francine
said. "There are bound to be nice restaurants all around that area. Here, let me
get that, okay? It's tricky at the best of times--and it can't be very easy with
your ribs." She pulled the seatbelt and fastened it securely around the girl.
"Is that all right?"

"It's good, Francine," Jenna said. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." Carefully Francine pulled the car out of the driveway.

"Can I turn on the radio?" Jenna asked.

"Sure." Jenna turned the dial to a local pop station--the melodies of what
sounded like one of the many boy bands filled the car.

"I don't like the Backstreet Boys all that much," Jenna said. "But mostly
they're okay--better than 'N Sync anyway. Do you know what Lisa calls 'N Sync?
'N Stink!"

Francine shook her head bemusedly. "I'm afraid they all sound alike to me."

"That's the same thing that Dad says. Jamie says they're probably all cloned in
a factory somewhere."

"Well I certainly can believe that." For a few moments they drove in
companionable silence, listening as the DJ played 'the newest hit' from a group
called Coldplay. Then a news bulletin came on:

"Gary Johnston, charged in the murder of his daughter Marcie Johnston and the
alleged kidnapping and attempted murder of local girl Jenna Stetson, is due to
be arraigned later today. His defense attorney--"

Oh God. Leaning over, Francine quickly switched off the radio. "I'm so sorry
about that, Jenna."

"No, it's okay--really." Jenna's voice shook slightly. "I mean, stuff like that
is bound to be on the news, isn't it? It makes sense."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, Gary Johnston is going away for a very,
very long time."

"How can you be so sure?"

How--Francine hesitated, knowing that she couldn't tell Jenna about how she'd
been in constant communication with the Commonwealth's Attorney since Gary's
arrest. "They have a lot of evidence against him. Trust me, that creep isn't
going anywhere soon."

"Okay."

'Alleged kidnapping and attempted murder' Francine thought grimly, the words of
the newscaster replaying themselves in her minds. From where she stood there was
nothing 'alleged' about what Gary Johnston had done.

They came to a stop at the light--she turned to look at her passenger. Jenna had
pulled down the mirror on her side and was staring fixedly at her face,
smoothing her bangs down as far as they would go. Probably trying to cover the
scar, Francine guessed. The skin where the stitches had recently been was still
red and angry-looking. That would disappear after a while--she knew from
personal experience--but for someone Jenna's age it was going to seem like
forever. And then there were the inner scars--Amanda had told her about the
nightmares and the flashbacks. It was ironic--the worst thing Francine could
remember from her childhood was the day her pet rabbit Buster died.

If anyone deserved a day of spoiling--

The light changed to green as Francine turned onto Glebe Road.

"What would you like to have done with your hair?" she asked Jenna.

"Get it dyed back," Jenna said. "I used to think I would like to try red hair,
but now--" she looked over at Francine. "Maybe I could get it really blond--like
yours."

"Well, you could." Francine thought of what Lee would say if she brought Jenna
home with hair that blond. "But personally I liked your natural color a lot--it
was beautiful."

Jenna smiled--a small smile. "Thanks."

"We can get it styled too--it could look really cute--help to show off your new
earrings--maybe a manicure too--what is it?"

"Nothing," Jenna said. "It's just--isn't this a lot?"

"Jenna, we deserve a girl's day. Especially you. It'll be fun, I promise. Okay?"

Jenna's smile actually widened. "Okay."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Tutto Bene Restaurant

3:30 PM

The main dining hall was in full swing as the hostess led Francine and Jenna
towards a table near the back of the restaurant. A noisy toddler wailed, the
sound intermingling with the voices from a large group of college students
seated closer to the front. As if that wasn't enough, the wait staff clapped
rhythmically as they made their way to a table where an elderly couple sat.
Loudly they began to sing:

"Happy, happy, happy birthday, to you, to you, to you..."

"I didn't expect there to be this much racket," Francine said.

"It's not that bad," Jenna said. "But I always turn bright red when someone
sings that to me in a restaurant."

"Personally, I'd never allow someone to sing that to me in a restaurant."

"Something for you two ladies?" The waitier asked as he came over. Francine
ordered a coffee for herself and a sprite for Jenna."

"I'll be right back with your drinks," the waiter said.

Francine looked at Jenna, who was silently scanning the menu. Jenna's short hair
had been dyed back to its natural color, then feathered and cut to frame her
face--the studs they always put in when first piercing your ears glittered in
the dim light.

"What's a saltena?" Jenna asked suddenly.

"It's a Bolivian pastry filled with meat or veggies," Francine said. "You should
try one--this place is famous for it. So--have you had a good day?"

"It's been great--you didn't have to get me a new outfit, though."

"I don't mind," Francine told the girl. "And anyway, you needed something new to
wear back to school next Monday, right?"

Jenna's expression clouded slightly. "School? Yeah, I guess so." She looked
down briefly at the tablecloth and then back up at Francine again. "I don't know
what dad's going to say about the makeup."

"It's barely noticeable--perfectly appropriate for a twelve-year-old. And
besides, you needed a little bit of something to go with the manicure."

"He's only just gotten used to clear lip gloss."

"He'll be fine with it," Francine said firmly.

"Yeah," Jenna said. "I hope the ear piercing guy didn't get mad at me--it's just
that when he said they use a gun, I--" her voice faltered. "The last time I saw
a gun was--it just wasn't good."

"Oh, I'm sure he's seen nervous customers before." Francine thought back to the
way Jenna's hands had tightly gripped the chair as the man had put the holes in
her ears. "Want to talk about it?"

"No." Jenna rubbed at the center of her forehead with her hand. "I want to
forget--put it behind me. Dr. Pfaff says I can't do that unless I talk about it
but I just--I just don't want to."

"Ready to order?" the waiter asked as he returned with their drinks. Francine
looked at the younger girl, who was still rubbing her forehead.

"Well I think maybe some saltenas to start with," Francine told the waiter. "And
then--Jenna, would you like to split a pizza? We could get the
combo--pepperoni, sausage, ground beef--"

"Yeah, that sounds good." Jenna didn't look at her as she spoke. The waiter
left.

"You know," Francine said. "Going to see Dr. Pfaff isn't a bad thing to do--he
can really help you a lot if you let him."

"That's what my parents say too--I just don't see how talking to him is really
going to make things better."

"I didn't see it myself at the time when I went to see him."

"You?" Jenna asked. Francine nodded. "What for?"

"I had some--issues--with an old fiancee of mine." Francine thought back to that
time with Johnathan.

"And talking to Dr. Pfaff helped with that?"

"Well, it didn't happen overnight," Francine said. "Maybe talking to him helped
me put things into context--you know--I really can't put my finger on any
specific thing that he did or said--" as she spoke she put two packets of
Splenda into her coffee and stirred "--all I know is that after a while I
started to feel better about everything."

Jenna sipped her soda slowly through a straw. "He says that talking about my
fears--and about what happened will help make me less scared --but when I talk
about it I think about it--and sometimes that makes me feel like it's happening
all over again."

"You don't have to talk about it all at once," Francine told Jenna. "Maybe if
you just deal with a little bit at a time it'll be easier--no one's going to
pressure you."

"I know that--but I do want to get better," Jenna said. "I just--I don't know."
She rubbed at her forehead again. "How do I think about it without being so
afraid?"

"Maybe that's a question you need to ask Dr. Pfaff," Francine said. "He's there
to help you."

"Dad says that to--only he's always said that he doesn't trust shrinks or
doctors--I've heard him say that lots of times. And then he wants me to go see
one."

"Well, he's probably had some bad experiences." Francine chose her words
carefully. "Your dad had a rough time growing up. I don't know if he told you--"

Jenna nodded. "He did."

"But he also wants you to recover and he knows that you need help."

"Yeah, that does make sense." Jenna fell quiet for a moment, staring down at her
hands and then back up at Francine. "So--if I tell Dr. Pfaff why I'm scared, he
might be able to help?"

"I can guarantee it."

"I hope so--someone's got to."

At that moment the waiter brought the saltenas to their table, putting the
platter in the middle of the table.

"Your entrees should be out shortly," he said.

"Jenna," Francine said, after the waiter left. "It might not feel like it right
now, but I promise--things will get better with time. In the meantime just know
that you have all of us to support you."

Jenna's voice was soft. "I know."

"You know what else we need to do?" Francine said. "Some more shopping--that's
what we need."

Jenna looked puzzled. "Shopping for what?"

Francine took a saltena, biting into it. "Window shopping is always fun."

"Yeah, my friend Lisa says that she likes to go into stores just to try on fancy
dresses--she knows she can't afford them but she's just curious."

"Oh--my friends and I used to do that with all kinds of clothes--even shoes and
accessories--you name it. We also used to check out the cute guys."

Jenna blushed. "Lisa does that--I think some guys are cute but I'm not as flirty
as she is. I never know what to say." She grabbed a saltena from the platter.
"Like there's this one guy--Paul Davidson--every time I see him I freeze up. He
probably thinks I'm mute or something."

"Jenna, trust me," Francine said. "When you get older boys will be knocking on
your door. It might drive your father insane, but they'll be there." A sudden
thought occurred to her. "Hey-why don't we get you some shoes to go with your
new outfit?"

"You mean like high heels?" Jenna took a bite of the saltena.

"Well no--you're a little young for those. But how about some ankle boots with
low heels? Those would look great with the slacks we picked out."

"It sounds good--still seems like an awful lot, though."

"Let me worry about that, Jenna. All I want you to do is relax and concentrate
on having a fun day. All right?"

Jenna smiled. "All right."