- Text Size +

<><><><><><><><><> 

Amanda was glad the craziness of Christmas was over. Now if she could just get through this one last holiday. Like Valentine’s Day, New Year’s Eve was a couple’s holiday and she hadn’t been part of a couple for a long time.

In the past, she tried hard to make this just another happy holiday for her family. At least this year she wouldn’t have to pretend to be having fun. Her mother was going out to the annual New Year’s Eve dance hosted by her garden club and the boys had a party of their own to go to. Phillip’s pal Johnny Stevens was turning thirteen tomorrow and he was having his party tonight, and Jamie was tagging along.

“Amanda, darling, are you sure you don’t want to join us?” Dotty queried as she came down the stairs to greet her date.

“Oh Mother, you look marvelous! Yes, I’m sure. I’m looking forward to spending a relaxing evening at home. Besides, I’d like to be here in case the boys need me.”  She kissed her mother on the cheek and sent her on her way.

She really was looking forward to being home alone. Changing into sweatpants she settled on the couch and grabbed the latest thriller she’d been dying to read.

No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn’t concentrate. The house was too quiet. She found herself reading the same page three times and still not understanding what was going on. Her mind drifted back to the last time it was this quiet on New Year’s Eve.

She'd never forget that night.  It started out with a surprise when Joe came home unannounced. Even though he was tired, he insisted they take the boys to see the holiday ice show at the Capital Centre. Dotty changed her plans at the last minute and volunteered to have the boys spend the night with her, so she and Joe could spend some much needed time alone together.

While Joe napped, Amanda rushed to get all the ingredients she would need for his favorite meal. On the way back to the car she spied a lingerie store. Checking to see if anyone was watching, she darted in and purchased a very sexy teddy. “Won’t Joe be surprised when he sees this?” she whispered as she left the shop.

As she entered her bedroom, the sight of her husband asleep in their bed filled her with longing. She debated whether or not to slide in next to him. Not yet, she wanted this night to be perfect. So she tiptoed across the floor, blew a kiss in his direction and slipped into the bathroom.

She took her time. It had been a while since she primped for her husband and she took joy in it. The simple acts of shaving, smoothing his favorite scented lotion over her body and dressing in the sexy teddy made her feel a little bit wanton.

She had to stifle a giggle as the excitement coursed through her. That would have to wait until after dinner, so she slid on a pair of gray slacks and a soft, cream-colored sweater. He was sleeping so peacefully. ‘Let him rest. He’ll need all the energy he can muster.’ A blush crept up her neck as she made her way to the kitchen to start dinner.

A few minutes before dinner was ready, Amanda heard his footsteps on the stairs and turned to watch him take in the romantic scene she’d set. There was an intimate table set up in the family room in front of the fireplace. The lights were off and two tall tapers cast soft light and shadows across the room.  “Sweetheart, I’m glad you’re awake. Dinner is just about ready.” She greeted him with a smile.

“It sure smells good. You didn’t have to go to all this trouble.” He walked over but took a step back when she leaned in to kiss him.

She was confused. Maybe it was just her imagination but now that they were alone, Joe seemed different. “It was no trouble. Besides, it’s not everyday that you’re here.”

It was his expression that brought her romantic plans crashing down around her. She could still see that look on Joe’s face when he dropped his bombshell.

“No, Amada, it’s not and we need to talk about that. I’ve been giving it a lot of thought and I realize it’s not fair to you or the boys—me being away all the time.”

“Does this mean you’re coming home?” She was hopeful. Having him back home would be wonderful. They’d be together again. The boys would finally have their father home. 

Joe hesitated. He walked across the room and turned the lights on. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, he turned back around. “No, I’m not coming home. I’m extending my tour in Estocia for another three years.”

She closed her eyes and blew out a small breath as he continued. 

“Amanda.” He gently held both her hands in his. “I've given this a lot of thought, and I think it would be best for all of us. Oh God, this is so hard… I think… no, I know… it’s the right thing to do.” 

“Sweetheart, what’s wrong?” She squeezed his hands. “You’re scaring me.” Joe would rather spend the next three years half a world away than with her and the boys. "It didn't make sense."

“I want a divorce.” 

Momentarily stunned, she swallowed a few times, trying to get her voice to work. He didn’t just say what she thought he did. No, it was ridiculous. They loved each other. Of course, it was tough with him so far away. “You … you want a … a divorce?” Her voice squeaked and she had to blink repeatedly to keep from crying. 

I want a divorce. Those four words changed her whole world. Thinking back over that night, she recalled every word spoken between the two of them. 

Joe tried so hard to convince her there wasn’t another woman. That he was doing this for her and the boys. He was torn by his duty to his family and his need to help others. Finally, after seeing how difficult it was for him and remembering that old adage about loving someone and setting them free, she agreed. 

The details were easily worked out. Primary custody would be hers, but she was adamant in her refusal of alimony.  However, she did agree to child support. Six weeks later she was no longer Joe’s wife. 

Pulling herself out of the memories of the past, she slid off the couch to make some tea, wiping a stray tear from her face. 

<><><><><><><><><> 

Lee splashed on some cologne and grabbed his tuxedo jacket. He had plans to take Victoria—Tori Andrews, out for a romantic dinner then back to her hotel to ring in the New Year--privately. 

He hated Christmas. But he loved New Year’s Eve. Kissing all those women. He was usually able to find one willing to do more than kiss. 

He glanced at the clock to check the time. He still had a few minutes left. After he gave his hair a final swipe with the comb, Lee slipped on his jacket, and tugged his cuffs in place. “Keys, keys, where are my keys?” he asked his reflection. Snapping his fingers, he walked over to the dresser, picked them up, and headed out. 

Traffic was surprisingly light and he let his mind drift over the evening’s plans. He could just imagine his fingers running through Tori’s silky blonde hair. How it would feel next to his skin. The way her body would brush against his as they danced. How soft she would feel under his hands. 

Before he knew it, he was pulling off the highway and heading in to Arlington. Arlington! What the hell was he doing in Arlington? Tori's hotel was in Alexandria. “Good going, Ace. You went the wrong way.” Lee pounded his fist against the steering wheel. 

He took a good look around and realized he was only a few blocks from Amanda’s. Out of the corner of his eye he spied the bag with all his receipts for the past three months’ expenses. He placed them in the car earlier so he wouldn’t forget them. "Well, as long as I'm here I might as well drop these off."  

He drove past her house and parked towards the end of the street. There was a party going on, and who would notice one more car? He started to remove the bag but changed his mind. He better make sure she was home first. As he strolled down the street he could see through windows, several parties were going on. They looked boring. Hell, no one was even wearing a tux.

The sound of laughter floated past. He scoffed thinking about the normal people eating chips and drinking cheap champagne. Amanda would say he was out of touch. He crept along the wall adjacent to the neighbor’s garage, careful to stay in the shadows. A smile crossed his lips as he saw light coming from Amanda’s living room.

Silently, he approached and peeked inside. The house was unusually quiet and he gave it a quick once over to be sure it was secure. When the light flipped on in the kitchen, he started for the back door. 

Just as he raised his hand to tap on the window, the glow from the porch light illuminated his watch. “Damn, I’m late. Tori hates to be kept waiting.” After one last quick look inside he made his way back to his car.  He’d ask for help with his receipts on Monday. 

 <><><><><><><><><> 

What was that sound? She was sure she heard something in the backyard.  And peered out the back door, checking the lock. “Must have been the wind.” In the time it took walk to the fridge, she made up her mind to stop looking back--she couldn't change the past anyway--and concentrate on the here and now. 

Amanda poured herself some of the spiked eggnog her mother stashed in the back of the fridge, and carried her drink back into the family room.  She flipped on the stereo, and the sounds of the latest top forty hits brightened up the entire house. She even found herself humming along. 

Amanda replayed the entire year over in her mind. Okay, so things didn’t work out with Dean or the other men she dated. Well, there were other fish in the sea, or so her mother was fond of reminding her. 

She enjoyed her job with IFF, although the lies she had to tell still bothered her. She couldn’t call all the people at work friends, but knew she could count on them if she really needed them--especially Lee.  

He still annoyed her but not as much as before and she was beginning to think she annoyed him less, too. He stopped looking at her as if she came from Mars and started to realize she was, in fact, a human being. At least that’s what she hoped he thought.  

Something else she could count on the plus side--her children. They were growing like weeds--strong and healthy.  She was lucky. Having her mother there to help out was a blessing too. So, all in all, the past year was not so bad and the next one promised to be even better. 

She picked up her book again and was quickly engrossed in the story.

 <><><><><><><><><> 

Lee drove like a mad man, but he was still twenty minutes late. His date was mad, and she made sure he knew just how mad she was. 

He pulled her close in his arms and tried the old Stetson charm. “Darling, I’m sorry. It couldn’t be helped.” As he rained kisses over her face and neck he tried to remember which cover he gave her.

Unwittingly, she came to his rescue when she all but purred in his ear. “That’s what I get for dating one of the country’s leading cardiac surgeons. You will make it up to me.” 

“Oh, I promise.” He winked as he led her to the car. 

By the time they got to the restaurant the party was in full swing. Amid the laughter and music, Lee raised his glass to toast Tori’s beauty. Using the Stetson charm to its full effect.

Over dinner, Tori entertained him with tales of the various people she met as a stewardess, and somewhere between the main course and dessert he let his mind wander. If he had to listen to one more story about the poor sales help in the boutiques in Paris or which celebrity was on her last flight, he'd scream. 

Tori’s toes wiggling against his calf brought him out of his musings. “Oh, my poor baby.” She cooed. “You’re really worried about your patient. Aren’t you?” Leaning forward slightly, she gave Lee an enticing peek at the creamy flesh spilling out the top of her gown. “Let’s see if there is something I can do to take your mind off him.”  She grabbed his hand and pulled him to the dance floor. 

Although his body moved to the music, his heart just wasn’t in it. What the hell was wrong with him? He was with a beautiful, willing woman--looking for nothing more then what he was willing to give. He knew how good sex between them was and still something wasn’t right. Maybe he was working too hard. That must be it. He squared his shoulders and pulled Tori closer. He smiled at her contented sigh and swirled her around the dance floor.

It was no use. Another turn around the dance floor, and his mind began to wander again. He briefly reviewed the cases he was working on. Why was he so distracted?

Obviously, he was doing a lousy job at hiding his inattentiveness because Tori stormed off the dance floor, and he followed in her wake. She whirled on him. “Look, Lee, it’s clear that you don’t really want to be here. Go back to the hospital. You’ve been there all night anyway. You’re no good to me like this.”

“I’m sorry. It’s nothing personal.” He did his best to salvage the evening.

“It certainly is personal.” She hurled back, turned on her heel and stalked away.

She took two steps before he caught up with her. He turned her to face him. “Let me at least drive you back to your hotel.”

“I can find my own way back, thank you. Besides, I’m not ready to leave yet. It’s not even midnight yet.  The night is still young.” Pulling her arm free she stalked off towards the bar. Never once looking back at Lee.

Lee tossed some bills on the table to cover the tab. He was sure he wouldn’t be taking Victoria out again. It didn’t matter; he had four black books filled with names to choose from. He briefly thought about stopping at a nearby club, but the loud music and stale, smoky, air didn’t appeal to him tonight. When the valet brought his car around it was almost a relief. 

He slammed on the breaks as a car full of teenagers blew through a red light, and the bag of receipts in the back toppled, scattering papers everywhere. “Damn it all to hell! I’ll never find all of them now.” He pulled into an empty parking lot and gathered them up.  Maybe it wasn't too late to swing by Amanda's place.

He parked in the same spot as before only this time he carried the brown bag with him. He spotted her on the couch and gave a few taps on the back window to get her attention. 

<><><><><><><><><> 

Amanda was startled by the noise. Only one person tapped on her window. It couldn’t be Lee. He had a hot date and planned on dancing the night away.  Or so he’d told her earlier that week.  It must be her imagination. 

No, it was Lee, all right. Standing in her backyard looking so darn sexy in his tuxedo. The man should come with a warning label. She glanced at the clock -- it was almost midnight. What could he want at this hour?

“Lee, what are you doing here? Since when is standing in my garden a formal event?” 

“I was on my way home and I just wanted to make sure you were okay. The last case got a little hairy.” 

“I’m fine, Lee. Really. I thought you had a date tonight?” 

Lee ran his hand through his hair. “Ah … I did …things didn’t go as smoothly as I hoped.” 

“I’m sorry. Would you like to come in?” 

“What about your mother and the boys?” 

“They’re out.” She stepped back to allow him to enter. “What’s in the bag?” 

“Oh, this is the other reason I stopped by.” He shifted the bag in his arms. “I was wondering … If you weren’t doing anything … Maybe you could …?” 

Amanda sighed. “What do you need me to help you with?” 

“You heard Billy say that he needs everyone’s year end expense reports by the end of the week? I can never make heads or tails out of all this and I was wondering …” 

She cut him off by reaching out her arms for the bag. “You want me to go through your receipts for you? At midnight? On New Year's Eve?” He really had to be kidding. Who did he think he was? 

“Would you? You don’t have any plans, do you?” He flashed his dimples and she knew she was lost. “Amanda, you’re a lifesaver.” Lee handed her the bag. “Thanks. I really appreciate it.” 

As he turned to go, the clock struck twelve.  Lee turned back around and placed a chaste kiss on Amanda’s cheek. “Happy New Year, Amanda.” 

“Happy New Year, Lee.” Amanda kissed his cheek. They stood and stared at each other for a moment. The phone rang breaking the tension that sprang up between the two of them. Amanda went to answer it and she turned back only to find him gone.  Poof!  

The End 

It’s Just Another New Year’s Eve—words and music by Barry Manilow & Marty Panzer  

Don’t look so sad

It’s not so bad you know

It’s just another night

That’s all it is

 

It’s not the first

It’s not the worst you know

We’ve come through all the rest

We’ll get through this

 

We’ve made mistakes

But we’ve made good friends too

Remember all the nights we spent with them

 

And all our plans

Who says they can’t come true

Tonight’s another chance to start again

 

It’s just another New Year’s Eve

Another night like all the rest

It’s just another New Year’s Eve

Let’s make it the best

 

It’s just another New Year’s Eve

It’s just another Auld Lang Syne

But when we’re through

This New Year, you’ll see

Will be just fine.

 

We’re not alone

We’ve got the world you know

And it won’t let us down

Just wait and see

 

And we’ll grow old

But think how wise will grow

There’s more you know

 It only New Year’s Eve