- Text Size +
Trial by Fire—the Aftermath

Epilogue 5 Friday afternoon, 3:15pm just outside Dr. Smyth’s office within the Agency

Billy sat in the chair waiting for Dr. Smyth to become available. He had arrived five minutes earlier for his scheduled 3:15 appointment.

At 3:23 the door to Dr. Smyth’s office opened and Billy recognized the Agency’s chief accountant as he emerged, looking tense. The man nodded at Billy as he quickly exited.

Dr. Smyth’s receptionist picked up the phone—then spoke to Billy, “Dr. Smyth will see you now, Mr. Melrose.”

“Thank you.” Billy rose and entered the sanctum.

Dr Smyth was sitting with his back to Billy in his high-baked leather chair, smoking as usual.

Billy entered and stood across the desk, his hands folded behind his back, waiting for Dr. Smyth to acknowledge his presence.

Dr. Smyth spoke without turning around, “So Melrose, the housewife has once again managed to beat the odds.”

“I wouldn’t call it beating the odds, sir.”

Smyth turned and regarded Billy. He waved to a chair. “Sit, Melrose. I have a feeling this won’t be short.”

Billy sat and continued, “Mrs. King has good instincts—she’s a natural for the business. This whole episode confirms it. She’s had no drug resistance training, yet she managed to keep them from discovering they had kidnapped the wrong person, she didn’t give anything away and she’s recovered fully. How many other agents could manage that?”

“Yes, she beat the odds.”

Billy pressed his advantage, “She should be a full-time agent. She’s operating like one as it is—working with Scarecrow.”

“Ah yes, how’s our Scarecrow doing? I heard he was instrumental in putting his partner back together again—too bad he wasn’t around when Humpty Dumpty took his fall,” Smyth grinned in a humorless manner.

Billy refused to take the bait, “He’s cleared to go back into the field.”

“But…”

“Pfaff says he needs to ‘process’ a bit more.”

“Ah yes. Our Dr. Pfaff.” Smyth took a long drag from his cigarette and blew out smoke. “Are you aware that he’s not a member of your unit?”

“I am.”

“Are you aware he is the Agency psychiatrist—as in Agency-wide?”

“Yes.”

“I am curious then, as to why you would be giving him orders about how he performs his duties within this Agency.”

Billy had expected this, “He is meddling in my agents’ lives. He goes beyond merely finding out information and he’s telling them how to live their lives.”

“And how is that so bad?” Dr. Smyth waved his cigarette in its’ ornate holder around. “He’s a psychiatrist—a medical professional if you will—if your agents have bad habits, I should hope they would want to improve themselves to become more effective to this Agency.”

“It goes way beyond that,” Billy shook his head, “He tried to tell Mrs. King that she needed to change the custody arrangement with her ex-husband. That is not a ‘bad habit’. The woman has a right to raise her children as she sees fit.”

“The Old Woman in the Shoe didn’t do so well—maybe Mrs. King could use a little more help.”

“If she needs more help, she can ask. So far, from what I can see, she manages with her mother quite nicely.”

“But if she saw less of her children, she would have more time for this Agency.”

Billy took another tack, “She’s only a civilian auxiliary. We’re using her like a full-time agent. She needs the training. This last week illustrates that.”

“But she’s flunked out of Station One—twice.”

“So? Look at her track record.”

“The rules were created for a purpose, Melrose. We use Station One to screen applicants. She tried and failed. She should be happy we kept her on as a civilian auxiliary.”

Billy was not to be deterred, “She’s half of my best team.”

“Yes, she has managed to keep up with Scarecrow these past years. I’ll admit that isn’t easy. But without a successful rating after Station One—she isn’t eligible for the training according to the Agency manual.”

“You can authorize her training, despite her lack of a successful Station One,” Billy countered.

“I might be able to—but so far I don’t see the need. She seems to do just fine without the training.”

“Are you trying to get her killed?” Billy was indignant. “Can’t you see that if she’s this good without the training, she’ll be that much better with it?”

Dr. Smyth paused in thought as he puffed his cigarette. Billy waited patiently. Smyth finally spoke, “I’ll admit you have a point, Melrose.” Billy smiled. Smyth continued, “I’ll take it under consideration.”

Billy’s smile diminished, but he wisely stayed silent.

“Anything else?” Dr. Smyth asked.

“Are you satisfied with my position and performance within the Agency?” Billy asked.

“For the most part, yes.”

Billy nodded. “Then kindly allow me to do my job and run my unit without interference. If you have any questions or need to make changes, kindly do so through me, not by going around me.”

“I retain the prerogative to take a ‘personal hand’ in any portion of this Agency as I see fit. However, I do respect your ‘territory’ and will allow you to do your job and run your unit as you see fit—unless I determine changes need to be made.” Dr. Smyth glared at the section chief.

Billy was not fazed, “I don’t have that many years left, as it is, Dr. Smyth. I could just as soon retire early, if it came to that,” he countered with a threat of his own.

Dr. Smyth nodded. “Just so we understand each other, Melrose, I’m pleased with your performance and that of your field unit.”

“Thank you, sir. I appreciate your confidence in me.” Billy replied mildly.

“If there’s nothing else, you can go, Melrose.”

“Thank you for your time, sir.”

Dr. Smyth waved in dismissal as Billy stood and left.