- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs. King is copyrighted to Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Production Company. This story, however, is copyrighted to the mentioned authors. This story is for entertainment purposes ONLY. If you would like to add it to an archive, please just let us know.

Timeframe: Fourth Season (This story does not follow canon, exactly)
Chapter 1

Amanda sipped her morning coffee as she watched the snowflakes turn the earth into a white blanket. Everything was so peaceful and calm, unlike the emotions that churned within her. She turned her eyes from the window and walked to the family Christmas tree. Christmas was less than two weeks away, and this was usually her favorite time of year. This year, however, it was also a time filled with uncertainty. She knelt to pick up a package that was neatly wrapped in red paper. She hoped that the person it was intended for never had to open it. She straightened the gold bow and returned the package under the tree.

“Hey, Mom, these new sleds are way cool,” Phillip yelled as he slid in the back door.

“Yeah, Mom. They’re awesome!” Jamie reaffirmed, tracking snow through the kitchen.

“Stop right where you are! Take yourselves back out to the porch and remove your shoes. Then, I expect you to go upstairs, change clothes and clean up this mess,” Amanda placed her hands on her hips and shook her head.

“Ah, Mom! We were just going to get something to drink and head back out. It’s really coming down now.” Phillip protested.

Amanda smiled at her two drenched boys. She was going to miss them next week. “I think you’ve had enough for today. You need to get ready for your Dad. He’ll be here in another half-hour or so. Go on upstairs and I’ll fix you some cocoa.”

“Mom, put extra marshmallows in mine!” Jamie yelled as he flew up the steps.

Phillip chased his brother up the stairs. “Ditto.”

“Hey! Is anybody home?” Joe called as he entered the front door.

“In the kitchen,” Amanda answered. “You’re here early.”

“I didn’t have any more cases to deal with, so here I am.” Joe replied. Walking into the kitchen, he noticed the small trail of water that started at the back door and headed up the stairs. “I see the boys are enjoying the new sleds I got them for Christmas.”

“Yeah, they’ve been on those things all morning. I still wish you would’ve waited until Christmas to give them their gifts,” Amanda answered, concentrating on her task of preparing cocoa.

“Well, being the wonderful father that I am, I knew this storm was blowing in and I didn’t want them to miss any fun.” Joe went over to the cabinet to retrieve a mug.

“You really are something,” Amanda laughed as she added the marshmallows to the cocoa.

“You look beautiful this morning, Sweetheart. Are you sure you have to go into work? The boys and I would love to have you spend the day with us.” Joe asked, pouring himself one of her delicious concoctions.

“Unfortunately, I do. I have a ton of paperwork waiting for me. I need to finish it before I leave for Atlanta. I’ve only been working at this new job for three weeks and I want to make a good impression. Besides, I’m sure you guys will have fun doing the ‘man thing’,” Amanda laughed.

“You like your new job?” Joe took a seat at the counter.

Amanda went to the sink to finish the morning dishes. “Yeah, it’s different.”

“How is Mr. Stetson taking all of this?” Joe asked before taking his first sip of the hot liquid.

“What do you mean?” Amanda turned an innocent face towards him.

Joe patted the stool beside of him. “You know exactly what I mean, Amanda.”

“I haven’t seen him yet.” Amanda retrieved her cup of cocoa from the edge of the sink and sat at the counter with him.

“I’m glad you decided to leave all that Agency stuff behind you,” Joe said, putting his hand over hers.

Amanda focused on her cocoa. “I’m not completely out of the Agency part, Joe. Just a different department.”

“It’s a lot safer behind a desk than out in the field,” Joe reaffirmed, patting her hand.

“Yeah,” Amanda quietly responded, keeping her eyes focused on the snow falling outside the kitchen window.

Joe noticed Amanda’s lack of enthusiasm for her new job, and decided to change the subject. “Have you heard from your mother and Captain Kurt?”

“Yes. She called this morning. They’re having a great time up at Pine Top. They really got a good dose of snow last night so they were heading out to enjoy the slopes.”

“I’m so glad she has found someone that makes her happy.” Joe smiled brightly.

“Me too, Joe.” Amanda placed her other hand over Joe’s.

“Is that you, Dad?” Phillip yelled down the steps.

“Yep. Are you and Jamie ready?” Joe yelled back.

“We’ll be down in a minute,” Phillip answered.

“Joe, I need you to do me a favor.” Amanda took a tighter grip of his hand.

Joe noticed the seriousness in her voice and replied, “Sure, anything.”

Looking deep into Joe’s eyes, and with a slight catch in her voice, Amanda replied, “I want you to take care of the boys for me.”

“I always do. You’re only going to be gone for a few days, Amanda.” Joe squeezed her hand.

“I know. You just never know what could happen on a trip out of town.”

“Amanda, are you all right? Is there something going on at work that you want to talk about?”

Amanda shrugged her shoulders. “I’m fine, Joe. I’ve just had a few bad dreams and you know me, I worry.”

“You worry too much, Sweetheart.” Joe stood and placed a kiss on her cheek as the boys bounded down the steps.

Amanda watched while the three piled into Joe’s car and headed out for some quality father-son time. She was glad Joe had come back into their lives on a more part-time basis. She glanced at her watch and realized it was getting late. She started to grab her coat when the phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hi, Amanda. I’m just calling to tell you they have moved our flight up two hours, because of the weather. I’ll send a car over at noon to pick you up.”

“Okay, Mark. I’ll be ready.”

“I’m looking forward to our trip together,” Mark said in a seductive voice.

“Me too. I’ve got to run a few errands before we leave. I’ll see you at the airport,” Amanda quietly replied.

“Till then.”

“Goodbye, Mark.”

Amanda looked down at her left hand where her engagement ring should be. Lee was due home tomorrow and she wanted to leave before she had to see him. She hoped that he would understand. It was something she had to do. She sighed and pulled on her coat. Picking up her purse, she headed out the door.

Lee entered the Agency doors with a spring in his step. Finally, after four long weeks, he would be able to hold his fiancée in his arms.

“Welcome back, Scarecrow.” Mrs. Marston’s greeting brought him out of his daze.

Lee walked over to her desk. “Good morning, Mrs. Marston.”

“Did you have a good trip?” she asked, handing him his badge.

Lee gave her a half smile. “Let’s just say that I’m glad to be back.”

“Mr. Melrose left word for you to report to him immediately.” Mrs. Marston tilted her head down and looked at Lee over her glasses.

“I just bet he did,” Lee said sarcastically as he bounded up the steps to the Q-Bureau.

Lee wanted to get back to familiar territory. He hadn’t seen Amanda’s car in the lot and it was way past time for her to be there. ‘Maybe her jeep broke down again,’ Lee thought as he fished his key out of his pocket.

He couldn’t wait to get his hands on her. ‘God, how I’ve missed that woman.’ Lee smiled as he quickly unlocked the door to the Q-Bureau.

He was disappointed not to see her smiling face as he entered, but he knew it wouldn’t be long till he had her in his arms. He dropped his keys on her desk and looked around the office they shared.

His eyes fell upon the dying plants that hung in the windows. He looked down at his partner’s desk to see that there were no Christmas decorations, no pictures of the kids, nothing. He took a seat at her desk and pulled the drawers open.

“What in the hell is going on here!” Lee exclaimed when he found the drawers empty. He looked towards the door with the sound of the doorknob turning.

“I wish Rag Mop would remember to keep this door locked,” Francine mumbled, bending down to pick up the files she had placed on the floor.

Lee waited until Francine was at the vault before he spoke. “Good morning, Francine.”

Startled, Francine dropped her armload at the sound of his deep voice. “Lee Stetson! God, I wish you wouldn’t do that!”

“Sorry, Francine.” Lee stood and went to her side to help pick up the files.

“I didn’t know you were due back today,” Francine said, regaining her composure.

“I wasn’t. Things got wrapped up a little early. What the hell is going on?” Lee asked as he opened the vault door for Francine.

“What do you mean?” she asked, handing Lee the files so she could open the filing cabinet.

“Where’s Amanda’s stuff?” Lee asked, pointing towards her desk.

“I figured your little housewife already told you,” Francine replied smugly as she took the files back from him.

“Told me what, Francine? I’ve been gone for a month. Remember? I haven’t been able to talk to anybody but Billy,” Lee asked in a demanding voice.

“She took a job with I.A. about three weeks ago.” Francine looked up to be greeted by Lee’s furious stare.

“Amanda took a job at Internal Affairs!” Lee shouted.

“Hey, don’t shout at me. All I know is one minute she was sorting through files for us, and the next, she had accepted a job with I.A.” Francine kept her eyes focused on the files.

“Francine, why would she do that?” Lee asked, trying to calm down and hold onto his patience, which seemed to be unraveling at an alarming rate.

“I really don’t know. The last time I saw her, personally, was when she was talking with Billy and Smyth about a week ago. When she left the office, I stopped to ask her if she had heard from you. She didn’t even reply. She looked back at the office and left just as Smyth came out and followed her out the door. I went to ask Billy what it was all about and the only response I got was ‘need to know’.” Francine looked up from her completed filing to find she was alone.

Lee exited the elevator doors and headed for the bullpen.

“Welcome back, Scarecrow.” Lee looked up to see the face of Karen Motley, a member of the steno pool.

“Thanks,” Lee muttered as he walked around her.

“Maybe things will get back to normal with you here. We sure do miss Mrs. King,” Karen said as she slipped into the waiting elevator.

Lee turned to look at the woman as the doors closed. ‘This has to be a joke,’ Lee thought as he continued his path to Billy’s office.

“Hey, Scarecrow.” Frank Summers gave Lee a pat on the back as he entered the bullpen.

Lee glanced towards his fellow agent. “Hey, Frank,” he half-heartedly replied.

“Glad to have you back. Things were way too quiet while you were gone.” Frank smiled at Lee.

“Yeah, so I’ve heard.” Lee’s eyes focused on Billy office.

“I hate that you lost your partner, but I hear Smyth has got a new one already lined up for you. All the rookies have been aggravating the shit out of Billy for the position,” Frank said as he watched Lee’s face turn from surprise to anger.

“I’ll talk to ya later, Frank.” Lee turned and made it a few more steps before being stopped by another agent.

Debbie Collins walked around her desk to face him. “We’ve missed you, Lee.”

“Yeah, thanks. Excuse me, I really need to talk to Billy.” Lee moved around the young blonde and entered Billy’s office without knocking.

Billy sat at his desk, tapping his pen against the hard grain of the wood. He had watched Lee make his way through the bullpen, and knew that it was only a matter of seconds before Lee barged into his office wanting answers.

“I’ve been gone for a month and all hell breaks loose. What happened while I was gone? Why was she reassigned to I.A.?” Lee demanded, standing in front of Billy’s desk.

Billy stood and pointed to the chair in front of his desk. “Have a seat, Lee.”

“I don’t want to sit. I want answers!” Lee shouted, placing his hands on Billy’s desk.

Billy looked into his friend’s eyes and immediately saw the fire that flowed through his veins. This was going to be much harder than he had anticipated. “Lee, there’s not much to tell. Amanda was offered a part-time position with Internal Affairs, and Smyth gave her a choice of the Agency or them. The job at I.A. offers a higher salary than we can offer her here. It’s a safe job with reasonable hours. When I.A. found out that she was interested, they gave her a full time position instead.”

Lee flopped back into the waiting chair. He ran his fingers through his hair, trying hard to make sense of the words Billy had just spoken.

Billy watched Lee’s face turn from confusion, to hurt, to anger in a matter of seconds.

“She would have talked to me first.” Lee looked at his superior.

“Like you said, you’ve been gone for a month, Lee. A lot of things have changed.” Billy leaned back in his leather chair, mentally preparing for his agent’s wrath.

“Like what?” Lee looked at Billy with irritation evident on his face.

“Amanda said she couldn’t take the pressure of being an agent any more. Too much had happened over the past few months. She decided to do what was best for her boys.” Billy hoped the mention of her family’s safety would calm Lee down.

“If she was feeling that way, I know she would have said something to me before I left. This doesn’t make any sense. We’ve always made sure that her family was safe.” Lee looked at his boss, his eyes now full of confusion.

Billy straightened in his chair and placed his arms on his desk. “I know that, Lee. I guess she just saw this as a better opportunity.”

“Who offered her the damn job?” Lee asked as he rose from his seat and began to pace.

“Mark Dobson,” Billy replied quietly, watching his young agent.

“Mark Dobson! He’s been after Amanda since day one, and not just for her work ethics either. No wonder he’s been prowling around while I’ve been gone. This is his sick idea of revenge against me!” Lee barked, letting the emotions that flowed through his body exit his mouth.

“What are you talking about?” Billy raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Ever since Paul gave me the OZ position, instead of him, he’s had it out for me. All of this happened because he was assigned to a desk job at I.A., instead of being out in the field with the Wizard. Now he’s using Amanda to get his revenge.” Lee’s words quaked with anger as he stopped in front of Billy’s desk.

“Lee, you take everything too personally. Amanda was offered the job because she’s qualified. She has the right education requirements, plus all the field experience she received here. There were others interviewed and they chose her.” Billy shook his head at Lee’s assumption.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Lee shoved his hands in his back pockets and began to pace the room again.

“Lee, you should be happy that she has found a safe job. I can’t count the times you wanted to get rid of her. Is there something going on that you’re not telling me?” Billy asked not expecting Lee to answer truthfully.

Lee looked at his boss and friend. He wanted to tell him everything, but instead he held his tongue. “No, Billy, there isn’t.”

“I’ve been ordered to assign you another partner. You know, there are plenty of new recruits that would sell their soul to be your partner.” Billy pointed to the bullpen.

“Don’t even try it. If I can’t work with Amanda, then I work alone.” Lee turned and started walking towards the door.

“Lee, I would let this one go,” Billy encouraged.

“Not a chance, Billy. Not until I talk to Amanda.” Lee stopped mid-stride and turned back to face Billy.

Billy decided to change the subject. “Fine, but first I need a debriefing of your London assignment.”

“That assignment was the biggest bunch of bullshit I’ve ever seen. I spent the past four weeks undercover, as a bartender, trying to track down a mystery man,” Lee stated exasperatedly, and resumed his pacing.

“A cover, that I might remind you required contact zero, except to report to you on a daily basis.” Lee looked to Billy, emphasizing each word. “This man, whom you and Smyth were so sure was involved with the missing agents, turned out to be a two bit bookie. If I had stayed here in my own jurisdiction, maybe none of this shit would have happened.” Lee walked to the door and placed his hand on the doorknob.

Billy stood and walked over to Lee. “We had good reason to believe—“

“I don’t know what Smyth is up to, but when I find out, there will be hell to pay.” Lee slammed the door behind him.

Billy shook his head and watched his hotheaded agent storm out of the bullpen. He walked back to his desk and picked up the phone.

Chapter 2

Amanda sat in her family room looking at her Christmas tree while she waited for her ride to the airport. She closed her eyes and laid her head back against the couch. Not looking forward to the events that lay ahead, she allowed her thoughts to drift back to a happier time four weeks ago.

“I’m going to miss you, Amanda.” Lee wrapped his arms around her waist as she finished packing his suitcase.

"I'll miss you more," Amanda teased as she turned to face him.

Lee gave her a quick kiss on the nose. "I doubt that."

"Prove it, Scarecrow." Amanda gently pulled his head down, capturing his lips with hers.

"Mmm... If this is the send off I get, I'll have to leave town more often," Lee taunted as he went back for seconds.

"If you think the send off is good, you just wait for your coming home present." Amanda wiggled out of his embrace to finish packing his suitcase.

"Why wait?" Lee swept her off her feet and laid her on the other side of the bed. He quickly pinned her to the bed by placing his knees on either side of her hips and claimed her mouth with his.

Amanda parted her lips and eagerly accepted his hungry mouth. He tugged her shirt loose from her pants and slid his warm hand over her cool skin. Amanda felt her body tremble as his large hand caressed her breast through her silk bra. Lee's touch became more intense as he felt her nipple harden under his fingers. He lowered his lips to her neck, knowing the response he would receive.

"Mmm…Lee..."

He smiled into her neck as she wrapped her fingers in his hair. He continued his exploration of her soft skin. His lips sought other sensitive spots, while he nimbly began to unbutton her shirt. Amanda could feel his need growing as he quickly hardened against her abdomen.

"Lee…" Amanda moaned as his lips began to drift down to her breasts.

"Hmm…" Lee looked up from his pleasurable task.

"Your plane leaves in thirty minutes," Amanda whispered, trying to control her own hormones.

Lee gave her a wicked grin. "I'll catch the next flight out."

"Don't you know that 'good things come to those who wait’?” Amanda gently removed his wandering hand from her body.

"All work and no play makes Lee a dull boy’. Billy told me that!" Lee proclaimed, and reluctantly rolled off her.

"I don't think he had this in mind," Amanda teased as she buttoned her shirt.

Lee looked into her passion filled brown eyes. "I'm sorry, Amanda."

"Don't be. I just don’t want us to do this on the ‘fly,’ so to speak." Amanda grinned, and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek.

"It's just when I touch you, or even kiss you, my whole body comes to life," Lee explained, playing with a curl of her hair that lay on her shoulders.

"So I noticed," Amanda said impishly as she looked down at his body.

"Well, I guess I need to go take a cold shower now." Lee kissed the nape of her neck.

"I think the long flight to London will take care of your problems." Amanda playfully smacked him on the arm.

Lee reluctantly rolled himself into a sitting position and stood from the bed. "I don't know about that," he moaned as he headed to the bathroom.

"I'll just finish packing while you freshen up," Amanda laughed, as she concentrated on his suitcase.

The ringing of the phone brought Amanda back to the present. She blinked back the tears that were forming in her eyes. She had to think of the future and stop reminiscing about the past. Glancing at the clock on the wall, she realized that her ride would soon be there. She hoped that she would be able to leave town before Lee realized what had happened.

“Aren’t you going to answer the phone? It could be important,” Lee said, shaking the snow from his hair.

Amanda quickly stood, her heart skipping a beat as she looked at the handsome man before her. “What are you doing here? You’re not due in till tomorrow.”

Lee scoffed, “I’d expected a more enthusiastic welcome from my fiancée, especially since I’m a day early.”

“I’m sorry. You just surprised me. Why are you here and not at the Agency for your debriefing?” Amanda forced a smile to her lips, refusing to move from her spot.

“Well, when I returned from London this morning, I found that my partner and fiancée had quit her job. I figured I’d better come by and see what the hell was going on, especially since no one else would give me a straight answer.” Lee’s anger and hurt quickly melted away as he looked at the beautiful woman before him.

Amanda avoided making eye contact with him. “I’m sorry, Lee. It all happened so suddenly, and you weren’t around to talk things over with.”

Lee closed the distance between them and encircled her waist with his strong arms. “I’m here now, so let’s talk.”

“The problem is that you’re gone so much lately.” Amanda forced herself to pull away from his touch and walked into her kitchen. She couldn’t be next to him. ‘Why had he come home early? I didn’t want to do this.’ Her mind rushed with ideas of how to get rid of him before her ride showed up.

Lee followed her to the kitchen. “Amanda, it’s my job.”

“I know, Lee. I can’t ask you to give up your job. You love it too much. I just can’t deal with you not being here when I need you.” Amanda turned from his intended touch towards the kitchen door, and began to fidget with her necklace.

“Amanda, we’ve talked about this before. I thought we were going to work this out together. I know things will be rough to start with but, in time, we will hopefully be able to let the world know of our love,” Lee quietly said as he watched her nervous actions.

“I just needed to get away from all the danger that comes with the Agency. I had to do it for my family.” Amanda continued to play with her heart pendant as she looked out her kitchen door. The snow swirled around the small back yard with the same furious force her own emotions were now in.

“Amanda, I understand. At least, I think I do. Why didn’t you tell me this before?” Lee asked as he placed his hand on her chin to turn her face to look at his. She looked in his tender hazel eyes. They were filled with so much love for her. She memorized his gentle features so she could hold them close to her heart.

“Lee, you really don’t understand,” Amanda whispered.

“Explain it to me then,” he said, lowering his voice.

She was racking her brain for an answer, when she was saved, by the ringing of phone. “I’d better get that.”

“Yeah, it might be more important than what we’re discussing,” Lee seethed through clenched teeth.

Amanda felt a shiver go through her body as she heard his cold tone. “Hello.”

“Hello, Amanda. I’ve been trying to call you all morning!” Billy stated exasperatedly.

“I’ve been busy.” Amanda turned her back to Lee.

“Scarecrow’s back in town.”

“Yes, Mother. I found that out a few minutes ago,” Amanda replied, wrapping the phone cord around her finger.

“Is he there?” Billy asked.

Keeping her eyes focused on the floor, Amanda responded, “Yes, Mother.”

“Amanda, you need to keep him in the dark on this one.”

“Thank you for reminding me,” she snapped out. She didn’t mean to get snippy with Billy, but this whole situation wasn’t one she was extremely happy with. She looked up to see that Lee had moved from behind her and now stood in front of her, glaring intensely.

“Good Luck,” Billy stated.

“Thanks, I’m going to need it. I’ll see you in a few minutes, Mother.” Amanda hung up the phone.

“Your Mother?” Lee stated the obvious.

“Yes, Lee. Actually, my mother will be here any minute. You need to leave,” Amanda lied as she escaped to the kitchen.

“Why? She’s seen me here before,” Lee asked as he followed her.

Amanda stood before her Christmas tree. “I don’t want her to see us arguing.”

“We’re not arguing. We’re discussing what in the hell has been going on.” Lee placed his hands on her shoulders.

“You need to leave,” Amanda protested as she pulled away from him and walked to the French doors.

“Amanda, would you stay put for one minute so we can talk? Please.” Lee ran his fingers through his hair as he followed her to the den.

“Lee, you need to leave,” Amanda reaffirmed, concentrating on the snow.

“Amanda, something’s wrong. Tell me what it is.” Lee placed his hand on her arm and pulled her around to face him.

She swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. “Lee, things have changed since you’ve been gone. I came to realize that our relationship could never work.”

“What in the hell do you mean by that?” he hissed.

“Exactly what it sounds like,” Amanda whispered, glancing back at the tree.

“Are you telling me that you want to end it between us?” Lee asked.

Amanda looked into his hazel eyes. “Yes.”

“Amanda…You are all that I could ever want in my life--” Lee stammered, trying to find the right words.

“Lee, did it ever occur to you that maybe you are not what I want in my life?”

“Not what you want in your life! If I’m not what you want, then exactly what is it that you do want!” Lee released her and began to pace her family room.

“Lee, you could never be what I need. Please leave my house and my life,” Amanda whispered, as she sat back on the couch.

“If I remember correctly, it didn’t seem that way a month ago. We couldn’t get enough of each other.” Lee stopped and stood before her.

Amanda looked up at his determined face. She had known that he was going to be difficult to convince, but she hadn’t wanted to go this route. She took a deep breath and began a new approach. “A month is a long time, Lee. I had time to think while you were away. Our relationship could never work. I realized it was the excitement you brought into my life that I loved.”

“What! That is the biggest line of crap I’ve ever heard Amanda King! Tell me what is going on!” Lee grabbed her arms and forcefully pulled her up to face him.

“Let me go, Lee. You’re hurting me,” she whispered, as she looked into his pain filled eyes.

Lee looked at the hands that grasped her shoulder. “I’m sorry, Amanda,” he whispered back, releasing her. “I just don’t understand. I thought that we had something special. I thought that you loved me for me.” He shoved his hands in his pockets, and started to pace her family room once again.

“I’m sorry, Lee. I just came to my senses while you were gone. I guess you could say a ‘light’ came on. Things became so much clearer when you left. We lead different lives. I need a man that can help me raise a family. Not one who has to fly off to gosh knows where at the drop of a hat on Agency business for weeks, even months, at a time. Every time you leave on one of those trips, I’m terrified that you’ll never walk back through that door. If you really think about it, Lee, you’re not the kind of man I need at all.” Amanda started towards the steps that led to her bedroom.

“Amanda, don’t do this to me. You’re the only woman I have ever loved. Hell, you’re the only person that I’ve ever cared about this way.” Lee walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Lee, I’m sorry.” Amanda tried hard to keep her voice from cracking.

She felt her body betray her as she relaxed in his embrace. She needed him so badly, but there was so much at stake. “Lee, don’t make this harder on yourself. I’m not the type of woman you need in your life. You could never be happy with a simple housewife from Virginia.” Amanda lifted her eyes to meet his.

“You’re anything but a simple housewife, Amanda; you are so much more. You’re the woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with.” He leaned forward to taste her sweet lips.

Amanda again pulled from his embrace and rushed up the steps.

He quickly followed her flight up the stairs. Amanda walked over to her bed and picked up her suitcase. As she turned to exit her room, Lee stood in her path.

“Lee, it’s over. I’m not the woman you thought I was.”

“I’m not going to let you throw our love away that easily, Amanda King.” Lee stood determined in her doorway.

“We all have to make sacrifices in our lives to ensure that the people we love are happy, Lee. So please, do this for me. If you love me like you say you do, then you’ll let me go. Go on with your life. Forget about me. Forget about us. Return to your fancy restaurants and nightclubs. You’re not the type of man that would ever settle for hamburgers and wine. We could never make each other happy.” Amanda walked around him and headed back downstairs.

“Where in the hell are you going?” Lee asked as he noticed the suitcase she carried.

“I’m leaving town for a few days,” Amanda stated as she placed her luggage next to the front door.

“Amanda King, you look me in the eyes and tell me that you don’t love me. If you can do that, I will let you walk out that door and never bother you again.” Lee grabbed her arm and turned her to face him.

Amanda stood quiet for a moment. She looked at his worried face and gently placed her hand on his cheek. “Please, Lee. Don’t make me do this.”

A wave of relief washed across his face. “I knew it! You can’t do it! What has Smyth got you into?”

She swallowed and closed her eyes, managing to summon strength from someplace deep in her soul that, until that very moment, she never new she possessed. She lifted her head and looked him straight in the eye. “Lee, I thought that I loved you. I don’t know how I feel now. After you left, I went out with Mark a few times. He was there when I needed someone and you were off, as usual, playing James Bond. It made me rethink our relationship. I just don’t think that it would work out for us. Please don’t see me again.”

“Mark!” Lee released her arm, as if her skin had burned him. Her body screamed in pain, as she saw the reflection of betrayal in his eyes. She had the overwhelming urge to wrap her arms around him and tell him it was all a bad dream, but she couldn’t.

“Yes. Mark Dobson.” Amanda made herself look into his eyes.

“That son-of-a-bitch only wants one thing, Amanda!” Lee yelled. She remained silent as he released a tidal wave of raging anger. “Is that what you want? If all you wanted was a romp in the sack, I could have filled that bill a long time ago, Sweetheart!”

Amanda opened her mouth to protest, but the sound of a horn interrupted her. “That’s my ride, Lee. I’m sorry to rush off. Our flight is leaving earlier than we had anticipated.”

“‘Our flight’! Are you taking off with Mark!” Lee demanded, as his scorching stare followed her to the closet.

Amanda skirted around the issue. “Lee, I really have to go. We can continue our conversation later.”

Lee continued his blistering stare towards her. “You can be damned sure of that! I’m not going to let you end this relationship until I get some real answers!”

Amanda picked up her suitcase and opened the door to find the waiting driver.

“I’ll take that, Mrs. King.”

Amanda handed him her bags. “Thank you.”

“Amanda!” Lee slammed the door and followed her out into the snow.

“I’m sorry, Lee.” Amanda entered the waiting car and closed the door.

Lee watched his reason for existence pull away as he stood, feeling paralyzed, in the driving snow. He felt his eyes begin to burn and a wet substance slide down his cheeks. He reached up and wiped away the unfamiliar tears.

“I’m not going to let you go that easily,” Lee declared as watched the limo round the curve out of his sight. He didn’t know what had happened, but he was damn sure going to find out.

Amanda looked through the tinted glass of the limo at the man who stood in her driveway. “Goodbye, my love,” she whispered as she held back the burning tears. She knew that she had hurt Lee beyond anything that words would repair, but it wasn’t his happiness she had to concentrate on; it was his life.