- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

Saturday, September 19th

Amanda stretched her legs out in front of her as she sat down on the blanket she and Sydney had just spread on the ground. They had all just returned from a family outing to a fair in Rockville. Leaning back on her arms, she chuckled as watched the basketball game currently taking place on the driveway. Her sons seemed to have a never-ending supply of energy. What made it even more amusing was the fact that her husband believed that he possessed a large amount of reserve energy too. She shook her head as she realized that he would be complaining about all his aches and pains later. He may be one of the Agency’s top agents but, as she had reminded him on more than one occasion, he was no Superman. He didn’t need to prove anything to Phillip and Jamie, they were teenagers and they were supposed to expound large amounts of energy.

Amanda gazed over at the other member of the game’s cheering section. Sydney was lying on her stomach, her head lying contentedly on folded arms, her knees bent and her feet bouncing. For the first time since last night, her thoughts traveled back to what Lee had told her. She could only hope that the young girl next to her never found out what her father was capable of. Anyone who could even think of training children to be spies had to be twisted. As she watched Sydney, she prayed that their earlier suspicions about Jack were wrong and that he hadn’t been so messed up by his wife’s betrayal that he would use his own daughter as a test subject for Project Christmas.

Sydney turned her head and caught Amanda’s gaze. “Phillip’s really good, isn’t he? I mean, Jamie’s not a bad player, but Phillip really seems to put his heart into the game.”

“You’re very observant, young lady.” Thankful for the interruption to her dark thoughts, Amanda smiled encouragingly. “You’re right though, Phillip does love this game. Jamie likes to play, but I think he learned so that he could have something in common with Phillip; besides, it’s what almost all the neighborhood boys like to play.” She turned her focus back to the game. “So did you have a good time at the fair today?”

“Oh, yes I did. I don’t usually get to go to things like that.” Sydney turned her head to look in Amanda’s direction. “My dad’s work takes him away so much and Maria really doesn’t enjoy doing that type of thing.” She caught the questioning look in Amanda’s eyes. “Sorry, I’m so used to Maria being around that I talk about her like everyone knows who she is. Maria is my nanny. I guess it sounds strange to hear a twelve-year-old call someone their nanny, but Maria’s been taking care of me since I was seven. I don’t really know how else to describe her.”

Amanda looked back towards Sydney. “I understand. Sometimes people become such a huge part of your life that you can’t imagine a time when they weren’t there. Was Maria unable to stay with you this time while your dad went away?” She knew the real reason the young girl wasn’t staying with her caretaker, but it would seem odd to someone as smart as Sydney if she didn’t appear to be curious. Then, realizing that her question might have a different meaning, Amanda smiled endearingly at the young girl beside her. “I hope that didn’t come out wrong, because I wouldn’t want you to get the impression that we don’t enjoy having you stay with us. I love having you here, and Jamie’s enjoying having someone around who shares the same interests as him. I think Jamie finds it hard to compete with his brother’s new life, now that Phillip’s started high school. Having you around is helping him re-adjust to school without his big brother.” She stopped when she saw Sydney gazing at her in amazed silence.

Amanda let out a self-conscious chuckle. “Sorry about that. Lee loves to give me hard time about my rambling. I usually tend to talk too much when I’m either very nervous or excited. Anyway, we somehow managed to get off topic, didn’t we? You were telling me about Maria.”

Sydney gave a pleasant little laugh. “Yeah, I think I was telling you why we never do anything fun anymore. It’s just that now that I’m older, Maria tends to concentrate on cleaning the house, especially now that I’m at school all day. Besides, she’s only around during the week, if my dad’s away over a weekend I usually stay with neighbors or even my friend, Rachel. So, I’m really glad Lee suggested the fair, I had a very good time.”

“Well, I’m glad you enjoyed yourself.” Amanda leaned forward and placed a hand on Sydney’s shoulder. “We did too. To be honest, I haven’t been to a fair in quite a few years myself. Well, at least not one that wasn’t run by the PTA and I’m usually helping out at those.”
Sydney looked back over at Amanda. “You’re very involved in everything Phillip and Jamie do, aren’t you?”

Amanda shrugged her shoulders, as she eased her hand away from Sydney’s shoulder. “I try to be. Although, I feel like I haven’t been as involved as I used to be, not since I started working with Lee.”

“Well I think you’re a pretty cool mom. I’ve heard some grownups say how much times have changed since they were kids and how it’s a real shame that a lot of moms have to work and are unable to stay home with their kids anymore. I guess it’s true because most of my friends have two parents that have to work. From what Jamie says, though, you do everything you can to go to his games or school functions. He told me that even though you don’t make it to everything, and he misses not having you there, he knows how hard you try and how guilty you feel for not being there. I bet you’re around a lot more than most parents.” Sydney turned her focus back on the game, hoping that Amanda hadn’t caught any sign of the disappointment she felt as she thought about her dad.

Amanda heard the catch in Sydney’s voice, however, and placed her hand back on Sydney’s shoulder. “Sydney? You miss your dad, don’t you?”

Sydney shrugged her shoulders. “I guess you could say that. I don’t like that he travels so much, or that we’re not as close as we used to be before my mom died.”

“You know, just because your dad isn’t always around, doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about you. Sometimes people tend to put their work ahead of everything else. In many cases, it’s a healing mechanism, or even an escape.” Amanda gazed lovingly at her husband. She knew quite a few people, men mostly, who would dive head first into their work, trying not to let their emotions get the better of them. “I think your dad is escaping from what happened to your mom and he doesn’t know how to connect with you anymore.”

“I know my dad cares about me, but you’re right, he does concentrate on his work, a lot. Who would have thought that selling airplane parts would be that demanding?” Sydney rolled over on her side, bending her arm, she propped her head up with her hand. She started tracing the pattern on the blanket. “I bet you’re wondering why my dad hasn’t called. You probably think it’s pretty unusual, and maybe it is, but I’m used to it. We rarely have much to say to each other when he is home. I doubt we’d be able to find anything to talk about over the phone. He might call when I’m not home, you know to check up on me, but Maria has never mentioned to me that he has, so who knows.”

Amanda had been curious about Jack’s lack of contact with his daughter, especially considering the real reason she was staying with them. Maybe he had checked in with Mr. Melrose, afraid that calling here might alert someone to Sydney’s whereabouts. She’d have to mention it to Lee later and have him ask Mr. Melrose about it. She was just about to reply when she heard a voice calling her name.

“Yoo-hoo, Amanda? Dotty? Are you back here?”

Amanda rose from her position on the blanket and moved in the direction of the voice she recognized as one of her nosiest neighbors. “Hello, Mrs. Gilstrap.” Putting on a friendly face, she waved.

“Oh, there you are.” Edna Gilstrap smiled, relieved that she had found someone. “I hope you don’t mind me stopping by, but I was hoping to talk to your mother. I tried knocking but no one came to the door. Then I heard the boys playing basketball and decided to try around back.”

“I’m afraid my mother’s not home.” Amanda shrugged apologetically. “She went flying for the weekend.”

Edna approached Amanda. “Hmm. I wonder if Captain Kurt is the reason she cancelled our trip to the nursery.”

Amanda tried to hide the surprise from her voice. “Mother cancelled on you?”

“Yes, she called me about ten minutes before I was going to pick her up, saying that something came up and she wouldn’t be able to go with me.” Edna’s attention was drawn to the young girl, who was now sitting Indian style on the blanket, watching the basketball game. “Who’s your young friend? Is she with Phillip or Jamie? You know Amanda, I think your boys are a little young to have girlfriends.”

Amanda, fighting the urge to tell Mrs. Gilstrap that it was none of her business if her boys had girlfriends or not, just shook her head. “No, she’s a friend. She’s staying with us while her father is out of town on business.”

Sydney had heard them talking about her, and stood up from the blanket. She walked over to stand next to Amanda.

“Edna Gilstrap, this is Sydney Bristow. Sydney, this is one of our neighbors, Mrs. Gilstrap.” Amanda put her arm lovingly around Sydney’s shoulders.

Sydney nodded at the older woman. “Nice to meet you.” She then turned her attention towards Amanda. “I think I’m going to go help Lee. I just heard the score, and Phillip and Jamie are really creaming him. He could probably use a partner.”

Looking down towards Sydney, Amanda smiled warmly. “Sounds like a good idea to me.” Knowing that Sydney was anxious to join the game, she removed her arm from around Sydney’s shoulders.

Amanda watched Sydney run over to the driveway and knew, from the vigorous nod of Lee’s head, that he was extremely willingly to accept the young girl’s offer to be his teammate. Hearing the comments her sons were making, she hoped that her husband and Sydney would be the victorious team. She couldn’t help but shake her head and laugh as she heard Phillip telling Lee that there was no way he was going to bounce back and win, especially with the help of a girl. When would her sons learn that they should never underestimate girls, particularly in light of the fact that Sydney was obviously not like most girls; at least not like most of the girls Phillip and Jamie were used to. She had a feeling her two boys would be eating crow before the end of the day.

“So, is that handsome man over there the one your mother keeps talking about.” Edna’s eyed Lee approvingly. “I don’t think your mother did him justice with her descriptions. He’s a very handsome young man, Amanda.” She smiled conspiratorially. “I wouldn’t let that one get away.”

Amanda smiled lovingly in her husband’s direction. “I don’t plan on it.” She then turned her attention back on her impromptu guest. “Speaking of mother, you were saying how she cancelled on you at the last minute?”

Edna nodded. “Yes, she did. I was running a little late and was just about to leave when she called to cancel.”
That nagging feeling that Amanda had when she had first read the note last night, was coming back. “Did she seem upset when she called?”

“No, just flustered, I guess. Like she was in a rush.” Edna gave Amanda a supportive glance. “I wouldn’t worry about her, dear. You said she was flying with her very attractive flight instructor. I’ve heard the way Dotty talks about him. She’d drop almost anything when he calls.”

“You’re probably right, and it wouldn’t be the first time Kurt called to invite her at the last minute for a trip and wanted to get an early start.” Amanda wasn’t as reassured as she sounded, however. She was beginning to wonder if her mother had been home yesterday when Joe was there. Had her mother overheard her conversation with Joe? She glanced back towards the basketball court as she heard Lee and Sydney congratulating each other. She shook her head slightly, a grin tugging at the corners of her mouth, as she watched how happy her husband currently was. No, Lee was probably right; her mother had probably jumped at the chance to go away with Captain Kurt, giving them time to feel like a real family without, as her mother would put it: ‘a meddlesome mother getting in the way’.

“Well, I just stopped by to talk to Dotty. Since she’s not here, I’ll let you guys get back to the rest of your Saturday.” Edna turned to leave.

“I’ll let mother know you stopped by.” Amanda didn’t mind Mrs. Gilstrap’s company, but she really just wanted to spend time with her family. “Is there a message you wanted me to pass along to mother?”

Edna spun back around. “No, no message. It’s just that I’ve just been dying to ask Dotty her opinion about the phone company van that’s been parked at the end of the street, but since she cancelled yesterday, I didn’t get the chance. I really don’t know how anyone could miss it. I mean it’s been there since Wednesday. They don’t even appear to be doing any work, not to mention that today is a Saturday, which means that whoever is supposed to be working is getting paid time and a half. No wonder our phone bills are so high. It’s to pay for all that overtime!”

Amanda took a deep breath and sighed. “Actually mother made a similar comment just the other night. I’m sure the workers have a good reason for being here so long. I can’t imagine, with the amount of phone problems that constantly arise, that the phone company would waste their men on unimportant jobs.” She hoped that would appease her neighbor. She needed to add the van to her growing list of things to talk to Lee about. Mrs. Gilstrap was now the third person to comment on the van, and would most likely not be the last. It was definitely time for the Agency babysitters to hang up their phone company costumes for something a little less conspicuous.

“I suppose you’re right dear. Well I’m going to head home now. Maybe I’ll get a chance to meet your gentleman friend another time.” Edna waved and turned to head back the way she came in.

“I’ll make sure if it.” Amanda watched as Edna headed out through the opening in the latticework, before turning her attention back to the game. A smile crossed her face as she took in the scene before her. Despite the fact that Phillip was blocking Lee, her husband had managed to get a pass over to Sydney, who ducked around Jamie and made her shot. Lee let out a whoop and gave Sydney a high-five as the ball sailed right into the basket. Phillip and Jamie hung their heads, in obvious defeat.

“I can’t believe we got beat by a girl.” Phillip looked back at the basket, disbelief showing on his face.

“Hey, what about me?” Lee sounded a bit dejected. After all he was the other half of that team that had just beaten his sons.

Phillip gave the older man a slap on the back. “Face it Lee, before Sydney joined the game, Jamie and I were trouncing you. We would have won, too.” He shot Sydney a glare of mock annoyance.

Jamie stepped over and put a supportive arm around Sydney. “Hey, I thought it was a pretty good game. Besides, it wasn’t really a fair game until Sydney joined in.” He turned to look at his friend. “Where’d you learn to play like that? You’re really good.”

Lee nodded in agreement. “I’ll say, and Jamie’s right, I definitely wouldn’t have won without your help. You can be on my team anytime.”

Sydney looked down at her feet, a little embarrassed by the compliment. “Um, thanks, and actually, I learned how to play in gym class.” She stepped away from Jamie and bent down to pick up the ball that was now lying near her feet.

Phillip watched as Sydney began dribbling the ball. “You learned all that in gym class. I’m amazed. All the girls I know only care enough to pass the class.”

Sydney shot the ball into the basket. “I really like gym.” Catching the ball as it fell from the net, she turned to look at the older boy. “You’d be surprised at how many girls really enjoy sports.”

Amanda walked over and stood beside her husband. “She’s right, Phillip. Just look at the Olympics. I honestly don’t know where this ‘boys are better than girls’ attitude comes from.” She gave her eldest son a teasing look.

“Your mom’s absolutely correct.” Lee put an arm around his wife’s waist. “There are a lot of things that men do that women are just as good at, sometimes even better.”

Jamie saw the annoyed look his brother shot at Lee, and started laughing. “Lee, I think you just lost a ton of cool points.”

“Big time!” Phillip winked at Lee.

“Before the testosterone level rises again, I think it’s about time we start working on dinner. Even though I know how much you all ate at the fair, I’m sure you’ve managed to work up quite an appetite this afternoon.” Amanda received enthusiastic nods from everyone. Turning, she looked at her husband. “How about you go fire up the grill, big fella, while I go get the burgers ready?”

Lee squeezed his wife’s waist. “Sounds like a great plan to me.” Reluctantly he let go of Amanda and headed towards the patio.

“I didn’t realize how hungry I was till you mentioned food, Mom.” Jamie rubbed his belly.

Phillip grinned. “I agree with wormbrain.”

“Don’t you two ever stop thinking about food?” Sydney laughed. “I’d bet money that the two of you would starve to death if you were ever on a desert island.”

Phillip shook his head. “That’s not true at all. I’ll have you know, I’m a certified Junior Trailblazer. I can survive in the wilderness, probably better than you could.”

“Too bad we didn’t have this discussion last night, I’d have challenged you to a wilderness test.” Sydney chuckled, then looked at Jamie. “Jamie’s mentioned that you guys go camping a lot.” She looked back in Phillip’s direction. “I bet we could have gotten Amanda and Lee to take us camping instead of the fair. I’d love to show you just how good a scout I am.” She was enjoying this banter. It was all in fun, and it felt nice being so at ease around Phillip and Jamie. She didn’t have many guy friends; in fact, she realized, she didn’t have any. She always felt like none of the boys wanted to hang out with her because she was such a brain, as most of the boys back home loved to call her. She secretly hoped her dad’s business would last a while. She missed Rachel, and maybe Amanda might let her call her friend later, but she was really enjoying being a part of this family. She was so caught up in her own thoughts, that she had missed Phillip’s come back.

“Hey numbskull,” Jamie replied. “Sydney may not be a Junior Trailblazer, but I bet she knows a lot about survival. She told me she spent two summers at camp and the camp was in the woods, with very little in the way of stuff you need to survive. Isn’t that right, Sydney?”

Sydney had no idea what Phillip had said, but she had heard everything Jamie said when he had come to her rescue. “That’s right Jamie.” She gave him a smile of thanks.

Amanda saw Phillip opening his mouth to retort and quickly put her hand out to stop any further comment. “All right children, that’s enough name calling and one-upmanship. Before this conversation gets anymore out of hand, how about you three go on in and wash up; then you can help me get the table set.” She shook her head, as the three started trudging towards the house. She heard Phillip tell Jamie that it wasn’t cool that his own brother chose to side with a girl, as he held the door open for his brother and Sydney. Amanda missed Jamie’s comment, but caught the wink Phillip gave Sydney.

“I think Phillip’s been attending the Stetson charm school.” Amanda said as she walked over to where her husband was moving the coals around in the grill, getting them nice and hot.

“Oh, what makes you say that?’ Lee closed the lid on the grill and moved to wrap his arms lovingly around his wife’s waist. Leaning down, he placed a kiss on her nose.

Amanda shook her head and chuckled. “Let’s just say, Phillip idolizes you in more ways than one. He may think your car is ‘rad’, but he’s also picked up your ‘subtle’ little charms.”

Lee graced her with his famous smile. “Why, Mrs. Stetson, I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.” He lowered mouth to hers and placed a very gentle kiss on her lips. Pulling back, he winked at her.

Amanda closed her eyes. “That’s exactly what I’m talking about Scarecrow, and you know it.”

Lee laughed huskily. “Well, I guy has to use what he’s got.” He decided it was time to change the conversation before it led them down a path he knew they couldn’t continue right now. “So which neighbor were you talking to before, the one that had Sydney so eager to help me out of my losing streak?”

“That was Edna Gilstrap, the one that my mother was supposed to go to the nursery with.” Amanda sighed, and her brow creased with concern.

Lee knew the look on his wife’s face, all too well. “Amanda? What’s wrong?”

“I was just thinking about the fact that my mother hasn’t called.” Amanda glanced into the house.

Lee followed her gaze and tightened his arms around her. “Look, she’s probably having a wonderful time with Captain Kurt.” He placed a kiss on her forehead. “Try not to worry about it.”

Amanda laid her head against Lee’s chest and sighed. “I can’t help it.” She then pulled back and looked into her husband’s eyes. “Lee, don’t you think it’s strange that Jack hasn’t called? Sydney mentioned that she’s used to him not calling, but I find it odd. I hope he’s okay…I mean I hope he’s okay for Sydney’s sake, because it’s the only reason I can think of that would keep him from calling to check up on the daughter he just had to have protected.”

“Maybe he’s deep undercover, or maybe he’s afraid that calling here might jeopardize her safety.” Lee shrugged, but saw the concern in his wife’s eyes. “You know how this business goes.” He saw her start to protest. “But I know what you’re saying. No matter what, you always find a way to call home, unless of course it’s physically impossible. I remember a few times when we were ‘tied up’ or weren’t near a phone. But you’re right, we haven’t heard from him in three days. If it’ll make you feel better, I’ll ask Billy if he’s heard anything from Jack when I call to check in tomorrow, okay?”

Amanda let a slow smile creep across her lips and nodded slightly. “That would make me feel a lot better.” She placed a gentle kiss on his lips. “Thank you.” Wriggling from his embrace, she moved towards the back door. “I better go get those burgers so you can get them started, otherwise we’re going to have three very grumpy, very starving teenagers hounding us before long.”

“You’re probably right.” Lee watched his wife head into the house and chuckled. It never ceased to amaze him the amount of food his two sons could eat. He couldn’t believe that any of them could even contemplate eating again after all the food they consumed at the fair earlier today; however he’d seen the amount of food the King boys could pack away and wasn’t really all that surprised that they’d be hungry again. As his stomach growled, he realized he couldn’t really complain about his stepsons’ eating habits since he seemed to have worked up a pretty good appetite himself. However, there was no denying the fact that his stepsons were bottomless pits, and as Phillip and Jamie loved to point out, they were growing boys. Yes, they were indeed growing up, in more ways than one. Maybe it was time that he had a man-to-man talk with Phillip. He had given Phillip pointers before about girls, and if Amanda was right, the boy was probably beginning to pick up a few things from him that could come off wrong, if not used correctly.

Lee opened the grill cover to make sure everything was good and hot. Glancing into the house, he saw his eldest stepson getting the plates down from the cabinet and by the look on Sydney’s face, Phillip had obviously said something peculiar. Shaking his head, he realized that it was definitely time to sit Phillip down and make sure he understood exactly how best to use those charms. Maybe he’d include Jamie in the discussion as well. A smile spread across his lips as he thought about the idea of giving fatherly advice to his stepsons. He began whistling a happy tune as he waited for Amanda to bring out the burgers.

SMK a SMK a SMK

Amanda stirred slightly as a flash of lightning lit the room and the boom of thunder rolled away slowly. She jumped as a louder crash echoed outside, shaking the house. She rolled over on her side, trying to block out the sounds of the storm. As another lightning flash lit the room, she caught sight of a figure silhouetted in her doorway. “Lee?” she mumbled, still half-asleep.

“Amanda,” the meek voice replied, “it’s me…Sydney.”

Hearing a tinge of fear in the young girl’s voice, Amanda was instantly awake. She hastily pushed the covers aside and swung her legs over the side of the bed. “Sydney? Is everything okay?”

“Yes…I’m sorry if I woke you.” Sydney started turning around, ready to head back to her room.

Amanda rose from the bed and took three quick steps over to the young girl. She put a gentle hand on Sydney’s arm. “Wait, it’s okay, I think it was the storm that woke me, not you.” Wrapping her arm around the girl’s shoulders, she started to guide her over to the bed. “Did the storm wake you, too?”

Sydney nodded slowly, feeling a little better with Amanda’s arm around her. She jumped as another clap of thunder reverberated within the bedroom. “I’m not really afraid of thunderstorms.” She let out a self-conscious chuckle

Amanda squeezed Sydney’s shoulder affectionately. “I’m sure you’re not.” Removing her arm, she sat on her bed and patted the space next to her. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Sydney hesitated briefly, glancing at Amanda. A flash of lightning lit the room again, illuminating the look of concern on the older woman’s face. Letting out a sigh, she sat down next to Amanda and clasped her hands in her lap.

As Sydney contemplated whether or not to share her fears with Amanda, another member of the household had been disturbed by the storm. Hearing footsteps in the hallway upstairs, Lee had automatically reached for the gun he had hidden under his pillow earlier in the evening. Wrapping his left hand around the cold metal, he pushed aside his covers and climbed out of bed. He then quietly made his way out of his ‘bedroom’ and tiptoed towards the stairs. Pausing at the base, he listened for any unusual noises. He quickly went into agent mode at the sound of voices coming from his wife’s bedroom. With his back to the wall, and his gun hand raised, he began creeping up the steps, ready to surprise any unwanted guests. As he reached the top of the stairs, he relaxed when he heard the soothing tone in Amanda’s voice and lowered his gun to his side. Moving up a few more steps, he tucked his gun into the waistband of his sweatpants and, keeping himself hidden, he listened to the conversation inside.

“You know, I’ve always believed it makes a person feel better if they talk about what’s bothering them.” Amanda reached over and turned on the light on her nightstand. She then fluffed her pillow and leaned it against the headboard. Scooting back, she leaned against the soft cushion and tucked her legs beneath her.

Glancing at Sydney, Amanda caught the look of uncertainty in the young girl’s eyes. She knew from years of breaking down Lee’s walls that it was easier not to push someone into admitting what was bothering them, and she knew Sydney would open up to her when she was ready. “But you don’t have to if you don’t want to. We can just sit here and listen to the storm outside. When I can’t sleep, and it’s storming like it is now, I like to think about the good that can come from all the rain. I know that rain helps the flowers grow, and I know that makes my mother happy. When it rains like this, I know I won’t have to worry about watering the garden tomorrow, Mother Nature’s doing the job for me.” She smiled tenderly as Sydney shifted her position and tucked one of her legs beneath her, while her other leg hung over the side of the bed, an expression of wonder on her young face. “Sometimes, though, the storms bring back memories that I’d rather keep tucked away, and sometimes it brings back some very pleasant memories.” A small grin tugged at the corner of her mouth as she thought back to a rainy night just over a year ago.

Sydney watched as a far-away look crossed Amanda’s features. “Are you thinking of one of the more pleasant memories now?”

Amanda nodded. “I guess you could say that. Storms like this remind me of a night not too long ago. The events surrounding that night weren’t the most ideal, but it’s what occurred during that storm that I like to remember.” Catching the expectant look on Sydney’s face, she smiled. She had a feeling that if she shared her own thoughts, Sydney might do the same; however she was unsure of just how much to share with the young girl beside her. “You see, Lee and I found ourselves in a very complicated situation and, while we listened to the storm outside, we shared some of our fears and thoughts. I like to think that the storm helped to bring Lee and I closer.”

A knowing smile appeared on Lee’s face. He knew exactly which night his wife was referring to. A lot more than just talking had happened that night. They had been on the run from the government for three days and that night had them facing the possibility that the following day might bring disaster. They had both been scared of the fact that he might actually have had to defect to Russia if Billy was unable to come through for them or if Alexei didn’t show and eluded capture, successfully cutting off any hope they had of clearing their names. Knowing that it could have been their last night together, they had found themselves needing some sort of physical comfort. They had come very close to making love that night, but common sense had prevailed. Not only would it have been too soon in their relationship since they had only just voiced their true feelings for each other; but they both realized that an intimate act like that might have caused some very pleasant, but distracting emotions and, given the events that they expected take place the next day, they both knew that they would need to remain focused. So, after they had gotten their hormones under control, they had taken comfort in each other’s arms instead, sharing their fears over the events that would most likely take place, and gaining strength from their newly expressed feelings for each other.

As Lee continued to stand outside his wife’s bedroom, he thanked the powers that be for letting everything work out the way they had, because he knew one thing for sure, if things had gone differently, and he had been forced to go with Rostov, he would have been absolutely miserable without Amanda. Life might not have been ideal these past seven months, living apart, but he wouldn’t trade them for all the gold in Russia. He thought about retreating back downstairs, but his curiosity won out; anxious to discover what had brought Sydney searching for his wife in the middle of the night, he turned his attention back on the conversation inside the bedroom.

Sydney tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and looked down at the bed. There was something so open and honest about Amanda that she felt the overwhelming urge to confide in her. “I found out my mother had died in a car crash during a storm like this one.” She started tracing the pattern on the comforter.

“Oh, Sydney.” Amanda reached out and placed her hand gently over Sydney’s. “Is that why you came looking for me?”

Nodding ever so slightly, Sydney raised her head and caught the sympathetic look in Amanda’s eyes. “I guess I just needed to make sure you were still here. I haven’t been afraid during a storm in a really long time, but for some reason tonight, when the thunder woke me, I remembered the night the police stopped by to tell us about my mom, and I needed to reassure myself that I wasn’t alone.”

Amanda’s eyebrows raised in concern. “Sydney, wasn’t your dad with you when you found out?”

“Yes,” Sydney gave an imperceptible nod, “he’s actually the one who told me. I remember coming out of my room and seeing two policemen standing in our doorway. My dad came over to me and told me that my mother was dead and that I had to be strong.” She looked at Amanda curiously. “I didn’t understand why he wanted me to be strong when all I wanted to do was cry. I guess I figured he didn’t want me to break down in front of him. When I went back to my room, I suddenly felt very alone and since I didn’t understand what had really happened to my mom, I blamed the storm for taking her away from us. Then two days later my dad went away.” A few stray tears trickled down her cheek.
Amanda’s heart burst with emotion for this young girl and, moving closer to Sydney, she wrapped her arms around the young girl. She thought back to her earlier observation about Jack Bristow. She had been right in her assessment of Jack; he really was very similar to the Colonel. Why would anyone want to tell a child, who had just lost a parent, to be strong? Children need to be comforted, not told that they should be tough in situations like that. “Sometimes grown-ups don’t know how to handle their own grief. I’m sure your dad was having a hard time with the news about your mom, and he was asking you to be strong for him.”

Sydney pulled back and shrugged as she looked up at Amanda. Sitting here, being comforted by Jamie’s mother, she suddenly longed for her own mother. Gazing longingly at the woman in front of her, she realized that in some ways, Amanda actually reminded her a little of her own mother and she felt oddly comforted by that fact.

Amanda wiped a stray tear from Sydney’s cheek. “It’s okay not to be strong especially when something terrible happens. You should know that it’s perfectly okay to break down and cry, no matter who’s around. No one will think any less of you. You just remember that, okay?”

Sydney nodded, and a shy smile crossed her lips. “Thank you.” She gently pulled away from Amanda’s comforting arms.

Amanda smiled warmly at the young girl in front of her and reached out, taking one of Sydney’s hands in hers when the storm reminded them of its presence with a very loud thunderclap. “I bet your dad being away so much doesn’t help matters, does it?”

Sydney shook her head and pulled back a little to look up at Amanda. “Actually, I haven’t felt this way in a very long time. I guess this time it’s different because I’m in a place so far away from home.”

Amanda tenderly squeezed Sydney’s hand. “It probably doesn’t help that you’re in an unfamiliar room, either.”

Sydney looked away sheepishly and shrugged. “I guess so. I mean I’ve been staying in Jamie’s room for the last few nights, but I think you’re right, it’s not the same as waking up in my own room.” She looked back at Amanda. “I don’t want you to think that I don’t want to be here, because I do. I’ve really enjoyed staying here with you and your family, Amanda. It’s been kind of interesting hanging around with Phillip and Jamie.”

“I’m glad, and I think you’ve been good for them too, especially Phillip. He needs to have his attitude towards girls adjusted just a little.” Winking, Amanda let out a quiet chuckle.

Sydney chuckled with her. “Yeah, he does think girls can’t do much, doesn’t he?” She shook her head. “Typical jock attitude.” A yawn escaped her mouth and she quickly moved her hand up to cover it.

“Are you feeling a little better now?” Amanda eyed the young girl. “Or do you think you might still have trouble sleeping? If you want to we can go downstairs, I can make us some hot chocolate and we can find an old movie on TV.”

Sydney covered her mouth again, as another yawn escaped. “That sounds wonderful, but I think I’m okay now.” She glanced over at the clock on Amanda’s nightstand. “Besides, it is pretty late and I’m sure you must be tired.”

“Don’t worry about me, I’m more than happy to watch a good movie if it’ll help you sleep better.”

Sydney stood up from the bed and shook her head. “Thanks anyway, but I really do feel a lot better now and, despite the fact that it’s still storming outside, I’m so tired that I’ll probably fall back to sleep the minute my head hits the pillow.”

Amanda rose and stood beside her. “How about I walk you back to your room and tuck you in.”

“Okay.” Sydney smiled shyly.

Amanda wrapped her arm around Sydney’s shoulders and guided her towards the door. “If you change your mind, you know you can always come and get me, right?”

Sydney nodded, hiding another yawn as they stepped out into the hallway and turned towards her temporary bedroom.

Lee quickly stepped down a few steps and pressed himself firmly against the wall in an effort to remain hidden. From his position, he watched as Amanda and Sydney disappeared into Jamie’s room. As soon as the coast was clear, he quietly crept up the remaining stairs, and entered his wife’s bedroom. Removing his gun from his waistband, he moved over to the bed and sat down in the spot Amanda had vacated a few minutes earlier. He then placed his gun on the nightstand, hiding it just behind her alarm clock. He was tempted to turn out the light in order to alert Amanda to his presence, but the luminance was oddly comforting. Hearing Sydney recount the night her mother had died had struck just a little too close to home for his liking. A lightning bolt lit up the sky outside and, rising from the bed, Lee walked over to the window. He pushed aside the curtain and watched the trees dancing in the wind. His wife’s words about letting out your emotions replayed in his head as he watched the rain continue to fall, and he wondered if the heavens were shedding their own tears for some indescribable loss. He wondered if she knew he had been there listening and if she had been trying to comfort him as well as Sydney.

Amanda entered her bedroom to find her husband standing by the window, deep in thought. Quietly she began shutting her door, leaving it just slightly ajar in case Sydney came looking for her again. She then moved over to her nightstand and, so as not to startle her husband, she turned out the light, casting the room into darkness and alerting him to her presence. Walking over to the window, she stood behind Lee and wrapped her arms around his waist. “I think you need to take the Agency’s Eavesdropping 101 course over again, Scarecrow.” She whispered, with just a hint of humor in her voice.

Lee clasped his hands over hers. “You knew I was there, huh?”

Amanda nodded her head against his back. “Well, I have the advantage. I know the normal sounds the house makes at night, so I knew what noises to listen for. Besides,” she squeezed his midsection lovingly and placed a gentle kiss on the back of his neck. “I figured you probably heard Sydney walking around. You are one of the Agency’s best after all. I’d have been a little worried if you hadn’t come to check on us.”

Turning around in her embrace, Lee wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer to him. “Is Sydney going to be okay?”

Amanda sighed contentedly. “Yes, she should be. Although she puts on a brave front, not unlike someone else I know.” She looked at her husband knowingly. “Are you okay?”

Lee bent down and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. For half a second he thought about telling Amanda that he was fine, but he knew his wife could read him like a book so there really was no use in trying to hide the truth from her. “I can’t fool you for a second, can I?” He smiled as he watched her shake her head. “It’s weird. Listening to Sydney, I realize just how similar her experience is to my own. Both my parents may have died in that crash, but I can’t help but wonder if, on some level, Sydney lost more than just her mother six years ago. Jack may still be alive, but I don’t think he’s much of a dad to her when he is around. I know what that’s like. When I went to live with the Colonel, I always felt alone. I know I’ve probably said this to you a hundred times, but the Colonel wasn’t much for affection, he was more a rule maker than a parent.”

Amanda gazed lovingly at her husband. “And despite all of that, you turned out just fine. You’re a loving, caring husband and stepfather. But I know what you’re saying. When I look into Sydney’s eyes, I can see the longing, the yearning to be loved, and I just want to wrap my arms around her and make everything okay.” She broke from her husband’s embrace and, slamming her fist into her hand, she began pacing. “Then I start thinking about her father, I don’t know whether to feel sorry for him, or to wring his neck. I just don’t understand how a man could be so distant and cold towards his own daughter. What happened to him wasn’t Sydney’s fault. I wonder if he even realizes how much he’s hurting her with his indifference.”

Lee approached his wife and tentatively put a hand on her arm, stopping her tirade. “Shhh, you need to calm down, before you wake up the whole house.” He gently pulled her back into his arms. “I’ve been watching Sydney, too, and I can’t help but notice that despite all she’s missed since her mother died, she’s still a very caring and bright young girl.”

Amanda relaxed in her husband’s arms. “You’re right. I just can’t help getting mad at Jack. I mean, and I realize this may come out wrong, but I keep comparing Jack to the Colonel. Based on what you’ve told me about being raised by your uncle, and even though I got to spend an afternoon with him, it’s obvious that he wasn’t prepared to raise a child. It’s like you’ve told me on more than one occasion, he’s a military man through and through, and he brought you up the best way he knew how. He wasn’t used to showing affection, so he did it through his own methods. Jack doesn’t have an excuse, at least not in my opinion. I listen to Sydney talk about her life before her mother died, the way she describes it they were a happy family once, Lee, which leads me to believe that Jack knows how to show affection. I realize Irina ended up betraying Jack’s trust, but is that any excuse to neglect his own daughter?”

“I know what it’s like to be betrayed like that, but then I had a wonderful, compassionate woman come into my life, who showed me what I’d been missing.” Lee placed a kiss on his wife’s nose and smiled at her. “She made me trust again, and helped me find true, everlasting friendship and love. I don’t think Jack will ever be that lucky.”

Amanda gazed lovingly up at her husband. “I love you, you know.”

Lee tightened his hold on his wife. “I love you, too.” Bending down to place a kiss on her lips, he stopped and tilted his head to the side when he noticed the door slightly ajar. “Afraid of being alone with me?” he asked, a teasing lilt to his voice.

Amanda followed his gaze and shook her head slightly. “Not really, although now that I think about it, leaving the door slightly ajar probably saves my virtue.” She let out a silvery laugh. “Since I knew you probably wanted to talk, I figured shutting the door would give us some privacy, but I didn’t want to close it all the way, just in case Sydney woke up again. I stayed with her until I knew she was asleep but, even though the storm seems to be moving away, who knows if another bad thunderstorm won’t roll through. I don’t want her to feel unwelcome, and I think a closed door really does say ‘stay away’.”

Lee chuckled at his wife’s ramble. “You were good with her, you know. You always seem to know exactly what to say in order to get people to open up to you.” He gazed at his wife appreciatively. “It’s one of the many things that I not only admire and love about you, but what helps to make you such a great agent.”

Amanda looked away, slightly embarrassed by the compliment. “I guess I just try and put myself in their shoes, you know figure out what might be going through their minds, and figure out the best way to make them feel more at ease. With children, it’s a little easier than with adults. Children need to be comforted. If you make them feel wanted and open your heart to them, children are more likely to open up to you. I think I want to help Sydney so much, not just because of her situation, but because her experience is so close to yours. I guess in some small way, if I can help her, I’m helping the five year old little boy in you, too.” She looked back and gazed lovingly into her husband’s eyes.

Lee bent down and kissed his wife tenderly. When their lips parted, he asked in a quiet voice, “How did I get so lucky?”

“Blame it on lots of men in red hats.” She laughed, then turned serious again as she glanced at the door. “I really hope Sydney’s going to be okay. I mean it’s hard enough to lose a parent, any parent, but I think she really misses her mom. I’ve seen how much Phillip and Jamie have thrived since you became such a huge part of their lives, and how much they enjoy having their dad around. It makes me realize just how much they missed out on, with Joe being away for so much of their lives. I know I did the best I could, but boys need a strong male role model in their lives, just as much as girls need their moms.”

Lee hugged her comfortingly. “You really did a wonderful job with Phillip and Jamie, you know. I’ve been watching you with Sydney, and I’ve been wondering, do you ever wish that you had a little girl of your own?”

Amanda pulled back and looked curiously into his eyes. “What are you getting at Stetson?” She wondered if his thoughts were similar to the ones she'd been thinking about lately.

Lee shrugged a little self-consciously. “Well, it’s something that’s been on my mind ever since I watched you walking hand-in-hand with Sydney at the airport. I keep wondering what it would be like to have a little Amanda running around.”

“I’ve been thinking about the same thing, too.” Amanda gazed at her husband wistfully. “A little girl with your hazel eyes and disarmingly charming smile.”

“And your chestnut curls, with the West women’s knack for getting into trouble.” Smiling, Lee leaned down and kissed her nose.”

“And your stubborn streak.” They both said in unison and laughed.

Still chuckling, Amanda smiled knowingly. “She’d be a handful, that’s for sure.” Then smiling tenderly, she reached up and gently caressed his cheek. “It’s something we’d have to seriously talk about, though. I’d love nothing more than to have a child with you, boy or girl. A child who would be a symbol of our love, and someone to carry on your legacy.”

Lee bent his head down and laid his forehead against his wife’s. “I’d like that too, but I think we need to jump one hurdle at a time. Once we’ve shared our secret with everyone and I move in, and the initial adjustment period is over, I think it might be an assignment we’ll both enjoy, very much.”

“An assignment Scarecrow?” Amanda raised her eyebrows, in mock dismay. “I don’t think I’d consider the idea of creating a new life as an assignment. It’s supposed to be something wonderful, exciting, memorable…” Her words were cut off when her husband’s lips captured her own.

Lee pulled her closer to him, deepening the kiss. The heat between them beginning to rise as he moved his hands hungrily up and down her back. When his wife’s fingers began playing with the hair at the base of his neck, all his rational thought evaporated and he began moving them towards the bed. A sudden crack of thunder, however, brought him back to his senses. Breaking apart, Lee tried to get his breathing under control. He knew from the deep, ragged breaths his wife was taking, that she was doing the same. “It’s always something, isn’t it?” He joked, his voice husky.

Amanda nodded, her own heart racing. “I guess Mother Nature intervened this time. Probably a good thing, too. It’d be quite embarrassing if the boys caught us, but I’d be mortified if Sydney were to walk in here in the middle of…well, I mean she’s a bright girl and all, but she doesn’t really know us and she’s only just beginning to feel comfortable around us.”

Lee shook his head and laughed, his breathing coming more evenly. “I love you, Mrs. Stetson.” Breaking their embrace, he took her hand in his and started heading for the door. A few feet from his destination, he bent down and placed a longing, but gentle kiss on her lips. Pulling away, before their hormones took over again, he smiled. “Just something to help me sleep.” He let go of her hand and, as he reached for the doorknob, he stopped and then headed back towards the bed.

“Lee?” Amanda looked at him curiously and then watched as he took his gun off her nightstand. “Oh.”

Lee placed a quick kiss on her cheek as he passed. “Sleep tight.” He winked back at her, as he opened the bedroom door.

“You, too. I love you.” Amanda whispered as he disappeared into the hallway. Sighing, she made her way over to the bed. Climbing under the covers, she touched her hand to her lips and looked longingly at the empty space next to her. She knew it wouldn’t be long before her husband would be lying beside her every night for the rest of their lives. She hoped she had the strength to wait for that day to arrive. Closing her eyes, she let the memory of their last kiss play through her mind, if she couldn’t have her husband physically beside her, at least he’d be with her in her dreams.