- Text Size +
Chapter Four

Thursday Evening, September 17th

Lee took a deep breath before entering his house and smiled. No matter what anyone had to say, this was his home. Even if he didn’t officially live here, Amanda was here, and anywhere his Amanda was, was home. He was definitely going to enjoy ‘coming home’ here everyday for the next week. As he put his key into the lock, he took another deep breath. ‘Damn, Dr. Smyth anyway.’ No need to let his mind go there, he was home and he didn’t need to get himself all worked up. After all, he commended himself, he’d done a pretty good job of keeping his anger in check for the last hour. He had only blown his top once in Billy’s office. Of course that was right after Billy had informed him for the second time that he needed to lay off finding anything out about Project Christmas.

Apparently Dr. Smyth was really pissed that he and Amanda had been assigned this one. Billy had tried not to go into too much detail, but from what his section chief had said he was beginning to think that Dr. Smyth would like nothing more than to find a way to break up his partnership with Amanda. If that were true, he wasn’t sure what would happen once they went public with their marriage. He didn’t want to think about that right now. Sydney and his family were the only things that concerned him at the moment. Turning the key, he remembered what Billy had said to him right before he had left: “One slip up and Smyth will have me pulling you off this assignment. We can’t afford to do that, not after your cover’s already been established. I won’t be able to put anybody else in Amanda’s house without raising everyone’s suspicions, especially Sydney’s. Just behave yourself.”

As Lee opened the door, he made a pact with himself. He would do whatever it took not to be pulled off of this one. He didn’t want anyone else responsible for his family. Of course, he still hadn’t heard back from T.P. and his favorite librarian always came through for him. It was contacting his sources in the CIA that had tipped his hand. So as long as he didn’t do any more questioning there, he might not get into trouble. A smile crossed his lips as he stepped into the house and took in the smells of dinner coming from the kitchen.

‘Playing house indeed.’ Lee laughed to himself, as he remembered one of Dr. Smyth’s comments to Billy. ‘If the old man only knew.’

Stepping over the landing, Lee peered around the corner and, as he watched his wife pulling something out of the oven, a sudden feeling of domesticity came over him. Unable to control himself, he smiled and called out, “Honey, I’m home.” Moving into the kitchen, he put the folder he was carrying on the counter and approached her.

Amanda put the pan on the hot plate and wrapped her arms around her husband. “God, it sounds so right to hear you say that.”

Pulling her to him, Lee smiled. “You have no idea.” Leaning down he placed a longing kiss on her lips. “I missed you this afternoon,” he commented as their kiss ended.

Amanda caught the tone in his voice. “Uh-oh. Not that you wouldn’t miss me, but something in your voice is telling me that I should’ve been there with you. What happened? You didn’t do something impulsive, did you?”
Lee pulled back a little and shook his head. “No, but it was close. I really had to fight the urge to pound my fist into something…or someone.” At his wife’s questioning gaze, he continued, “Billy had a very long meeting with Dr. Smyth and it seems that I was the main topic of conversation.” Looking around, he made sure there were no family members in earshot. “Let’s just say that I’m more than anxious to find out just what Project Christmas is.” He caught Amanda’s raised eyebrows. “Apparently it’s so top secret that the CIA is extremely intent on keeping a very tight lid on it. Jack pretty much clamped up at the mere mention of it. Then Billy said that Dr. Smyth threatened to pull me off this assignment if he finds out that I’m still asking around about it.”

“Oh, Lee. I know you and I know you aren’t going to stop until you get your answers so please be careful. I need you here.” Amanda kissed him on the lips. “I want you here.” She kissed him again. “I don’t want anyone else living in my house, but my husband.”

Lee smiled. “Believe me, I plan on treading very carefully because there is no way I’m getting pulled off of this assignment. In the meantime, I still have T.P. doing research and if he does come up with anything, I’ll only share those findings with you. As far as I’m concerned Billy and the Agency can stay in the dark. So, no worries, I’m not going anywhere.” He leaned down to place a kiss on her lips, when he was interrupted by what sounded like a herd of elephants running down the stairs. Breaking the embrace, he took a step and turned in the direction of the stairs. “I was just about to ask where everyone was.”

Phillip bounded into the room with Jamie close behind. “We thought we heard your car pull into the driveway.”

Lee looked over the boys’ heads. “Where’s Sydney?”

“She’s in my room.” Jamie replied as he moved into the kitchen. “She’s doing some unpacking.” At his mom’s questioning gaze, he explained, “I emptied out a few of my dresser drawers for her. I figured she might feel more at home if she didn’t have to live out of a suitcase.”

Lee looked over at his wife and saw a strange expression on her face. Reaching over, he squeezed her hand in support when he saw a single tear appear at the corner of her eye. She had mentioned to him, once or twice over the past few months, how hard it was to watch her sons turning into young men. To her, Jamie was always going to be her baby.

“That was very nice of you, Jamie.” Amanda sighed. No matter how hard she tried to deny it, her baby wasn’t a baby anymore.

Jamie shrugged his shoulders. “Well this morning, as I was coming downstairs for breakfast, I overheard you telling Grandma how you had done that for Lee. And…well…I sort of felt bad for my outburst earlier. You know…when I saw what Grandma had done to my room. I figured it was the least I could to do to try and make Sydney feel a little more welcome.”

Amanda smiled and began to turn her attention back to finishing up dinner but stopped when a thought occurred to her. She turned back to look at her youngest son. “What did you do with the clothes you took out to make room for Sydney’s?”

Jamie looked down at his feet. “Well, I kind of folded them neatly and shoved them under my bed.” Raising his head, he looked sheepishly at his mother. “I only took out the clothes that I wouldn’t be wearing right now.”

Amanda shook her head and sighed. “Tonight, after dinner, we’ll find some boxes and pack the clothes away in the attic.” Reaching over she mussed his hair. She never tired of doing that, even if he was getting too old for it. “Now, dinner’s almost ready. Jamie, can you please set the table for me and Phillip, can you please go ask Sydney and your grandmother to come and join us.” As she watched her first born head for the stairs, she added, “And, Phillip, please go upstairs and tell them, do not shout up the stairs.”

Lee watched his eldest stepson hang his head, as he trudged back upstairs. “That was very tactful.”

Amanda smiled. “I didn’t think Sydney was ready for the regular ruckus that usually goes on around here.” She turned her attention back to the pot roast in the pan. After she pulled the meat out and placed it on the platter, she began spooning the vegetables into a serving bowl. “Did Jack get off okay?”

Leaning in, so Jamie wouldn’t be able to hear him, Lee whispered, “Yeah, I dropped him off at Langley before heading over here.” He reached over to grab a piece of carrot that missed the bowl and popped it in his mouth.

“That’s good. You’ll have to fill me in on your meeting later.” Amanda swatted his hand as he reached over for another piece of carrot.

Jamie came back into the kitchen and pulled out the silverware drawer. “Mom, we seem to be a few dinner forks short.”

Amanda leaned over and inspected the drawer. “Hmm, guess we didn’t get a chance to run the dishwasher earlier. Go ahead and use a couple of dessert forks.” She turned her attention back to her husband. “Lee, why don’t you go on upstairs and get cleaned up. I’ll have dinner on the table by the time you get back down.”

Lee reached over one more time and successfully grabbed another carrot. “Yes ma’am.” He mock saluted as he headed in the direction of the living room. They had been in such a rush to get the house in order this morning before heading to the airport that he hadn’t moved any of his clothes upstairs. However, he stopped in his tracks when he noticed his bags were no longer downstairs. Turning, he re-entered the den. “Amanda, where are my clothes?”

Without looking up at him, Amanda answered, “I took the liberty of moving everything upstairs to my room while you were at the office.” She smiled, as he got closer. “I figured it was one less thing for you to do.”

Lee walked over to his wife and placed a kiss on her cheek. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now go get cleaned up.” Amanda pushed him towards the stairs. “Oh, before I forget, did Jack remember to fill out those permission forms for Sydney?”
Lee nodded as he paused at the bottom of the stairs. “Yep, everything is in the folder on the counter.” Before he could utter another word, he was practically bowled down by Phillip. He just shook his head and made his way up the stairs.

“Mom, Grandma and Sydney said they’d be right down.”

“Phillip, please be careful on the stairs.” Amanda admonished as she moved to pick up the folder. “Sweetheart, do me a favor and bring the food into the dining room.” As she scanned through the papers, she caught sight of the emergency form. She was glad that Jack had remembered to fill one out. With everything that had been going on, it had never crossed her mind and being a mother, it should have.

“Are those the permission forms from my dad?” Sydney asked as she came into the kitchen.

Amanda nodded. “They sure are and I spoke to the Principal at Jamie’s school. She said that it should be no problem at all for you to sit in on a few classes, so you’re all set.” She closed the folder and put it back on the counter. She placed an arm around the young girl’s shoulders. “Are you sure you want to do this. If you would rather use this time as a vacation and see the sights of D.C., I’d be more than happy to give you a tour. We could have a lot of fun.”

Sydney tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear and shook her head. “As much fun as that would be and I’m sure I’d love to see some of the museums, I want to do this. Besides, from what my dad mentioned, he’s going to be gone for at least a week and there’s probably a ton of things you need to be doing anyway, I wouldn’t want to be in the way.”

Amanda guided the girl towards the dining room. “Nonsense, I took off work to be with you, Sydney. I think it’s great that you want to keep up with your schoolwork and I’m not trying to talk you out of anything. But if you change your mind, there’s enough to do and see in D.C. and the surrounding areas that would keep us busy for much longer than a week.”

As Amanda removed her arm from around her shoulders, Sydney moved to take a seat at the table. “I appreciate the offer and I hope it won’t mess up any of your plans if I go to school. And, with me there you won’t have to take time off of work.”

Amanda sighed. “Oh Sydney, you didn’t mess up any of my plans. In fact, since you had your heart set on going to school with Jamie, I arranged to help out at the school’s book sale. So everything worked out anyway, I just wanted to make sure you wouldn’t rather be enjoying your time away from home.”

“You may think it strange but I really don’t want to miss too much school work.” Sydney watched as Phillip and Jamie entered the dining room. “I don’t want to be too far behind when I get back home.”

Dotty had heard Sydney’s last comment as she entered the room. “Well, I for one think that’s a very commendable attitude to have. Education is very important.”

“I think it’s pretty nerdy, if you ask me,” Phillip mumbled as he took his seat on the opposite side of the table from Sydney.

“I don’t think anyone did ask you dufus,” Jamie chimed in, glaring at his brother as he sat down next to Sydney. Leaning his head close to hers, he whispered, “Don’t mind Phillip, he thinks anything that doesn’t have to do with sports is boring.”

“Shut up, wormbrain.”

“That’s enough. We’ve got a guest here and I don’t want to hear any more name calling.” Amanda looked pointedly at her eldest son. “I want everyone on their best behavior, is that clear.” She looked from Phillip, to Jamie and back again.

“Yes, Mom.” Both boys chimed in unison.

“Good.” Amanda took her seat at the head of the table. Changing the topic, she watched her mother seat herself at the other end of the table. “Mother, I’ve been meaning to ask you, were all those dolls you put in Jamie’s room, really all mine? I don’t remember having that many.”

Before Dotty could reply, Jamie moaned. “Oh, Mom, did you really have to bring that up.” He gave his mom a thin lipped, tough guy stare. “I’m trying really hard not to think about it.”

Phillip laughed. “I’m just glad Sydney’s not staying in my room.” He looked at the brown-haired girl across from him, “No offense, but dolls and sports stuff do not go together.”

Sydney smiled in response and then turned towards Jamie. “It was awful nice of you to give up your room. I wanted to thank you again for finding a way for me to unpack my bags too.”

Jamie shrugged. “It was nothing.”

Dotty passed the vegetables over to her grandson “I think it was very sweet of you, Jamie”

“He’s just trying to impress Sydney ’cause she’s a girl, Grandma.” Phillip took a couple of pieces of meat from the pan and placed it on his plate.

Jamie glared at his brother. “Shut up, moron.”

“What did I just finish telling you boys about name calling and behaving yourselves at the dinner table? If I have to remind you two, one more time, you’ll both be excused from the table, is that understood?” Amanda admonished. She watched as both boys nodded and then turned their attention to the food in front of them.

Lee chose that moment to walk in and take the seat next to Phillip. Noticing the chagrined expression his stepsons were both wearing, he glanced at Sydney. “Guess I missed something, didn’t I?”

Sydney smiled shyly and shrugged. As she tucked her hair behind her ear again, she glanced around the table. The verbal battle between Phillip and Jamie had been extremely entertaining. It was a good change from the boring dinners she was used to. Usually she would either eat by herself or with the cook. Her dad was never around and Maria had to go home and make dinner for her own family.

“Sydney, what can I get you to drink?” Amanda asked as she turned to head back into the kitchen. “We have iced tea, lemonade or milk.”

“Um, lemonade sounds really good, thank you.”

Amanda headed into the kitchen and was just about to open the fridge to retrieve the pitchers of lemonade and iced tea, when the phone began ringing. Shaking her head, she hoped it wouldn’t be work related. Sydney was their case and there should be no reason the Agency would be calling them, unless it was urgent.

Amanda picked up the phone after the second ring. “Hello? … Oh, hi T.P.,” her voice reflecting the relief she felt that it wasn’t someone from the Agency. “No, you’re not catching us a at a bad time, we were just sitting down to dinner … Yes, Lee’s here … No, no need to call back later, I’ll … Honestly, T.P., don’t worry about it … Trust me, Lee is very anxious to hear if you found out anything for him … just hold on, I’ll get him.” She put her hand over the receiver and called out, “Lee, telephone.”

Before she could say anything more, Lee appeared around the corner. “It better not be work…”

Amanda shook her head as she handed him the phone. “It’s T.P.”

Lee took the phone and placed it to his ear. “Hey, T.P. I was beginning to wonder when I’d be hearing from you.”

Moving to the fridge, Amanda listened to Lee’s side of the conversation as she got out the drinks she’d come in for earlier.

“You did? Really?” A satisfied smile appeared on Lee’s face as he leaned against the counter. “No, as much as I can’t wait to hear what you’ve you found out, tonight won’t work. How about I meet you tomorrow morning, I just have to drop off Amanda and the kids at school first? I should be free by nine, just name the place … Perfect, I’ll see you there. Thanks again, T.P. … Yeah, I will. Bye T.P.”

“You will what?” Amanda had decided to wait and hear the rest of the conversation before heading back into the dining room.

Lee hung up the phone and turned towards his wife. “T.P. wanted me to tell you again how sorry he was for interrupting dinner.”

“Oh. So I gather from the grin on your face, T.P. has something for you?” Amanda moved closer to her husband.

“Yeah, I’m going to meet him tomorrow after I drop you, Sydney and the boys off at school.” Lee took one of the pitchers from her. “Now, let’s go back and join our family at the table. I don’t know about you, but I’m starved and if we don’t get in there soon, there may be only slim pickings left.”

Amanda laughed and followed him into the dining room.

SMK a SMK a SMK

Amanda sat on the couch attempting to watch an old movie on TV, but was having a hard time concentrating. After dinner and dishes were done, Phillip had challenged Lee to a game of one-on-one, and now Lee was upstairs, in her bathroom, showering. What she really wanted to do was go upstairs and join him; unfortunately she knew that was impossible. It would be a different story if everyone was asleep, but they weren’t. And even if they were, she still wouldn’t feel right about it, at least not until their marriage was out in the open. She still felt a little guilty because of their romantic encounter last night. No matter how enjoyable it had been.

Trying not to think about a very naked, very sexy Lee with water cascading over his very firm, muscular body, Amanda decided to remind herself that they weren’t alone. Phillip was upstairs doing his homework, Dotty was out on the patio reading one of her romance novels and Jamie was in the dining room with Sydney. Although she was sure that her youngest son was enjoying having someone to do his homework with, the idea to compare notes had been Sydney’s. Knowing that she would be going to a different school and that they probably weren’t learning exactly the same things, Sydney had asked Jamie if he wouldn’t mind going over what he was currently learning in school.

Having spent only a few hours with Sydney, Amanda was already growing very fond of her. She was warm, caring and obviously very bright. She began to wonder just how much attention Sydney received from her father. Knowing that the young girl spent most of her time in the care of anyone but her father, she could only surmise that it probably wasn’t a lot. If that were true, then it would most likely explain Sydney’s love of school. Sydney probably chose spending time with her studies as an alternative to feeling lonely.

Amanda was so engrossed in her current thoughts, she never heard Lee come downstairs. She jumped suddenly when he placed a tender kiss on her cheek.

“Nickel for your thoughts?”

“Gave up on the penny, huh?” Amanda smiled up at him.

“Well, with inflation on the rise, I figured a penny wasn’t enough anymore.” Lee came around and sat down next to her. “Good movie?”

Amanda shook her head and turned to face her husband. “I have no idea. I wasn’t really watching it.”

“So I gathered. What were you thinking about?” Lee eyed her curiously.

“Actually, more like trying not to think about certain things.” Amanda smiled mischievously. “So, I guess we’ll have to wait till everyone is in bed before I can find out how your meeting went earlier.”

His wife’s attempt to change the subject didn’t go unnoticed by Lee. He leaned over and whispered into her ear, “Nice diversionary tactics there, Mrs. Stetson.” Catching her brief shiver, he pulled back and smiled. “But you’re right, it’s definitely not something to discuss with ears around.”

Amanda nodded. “That’s one thing we’ll have to get used to.” At his curious look, she continued, “Well, we usually talk about what we’re working on either outside,” she motioned towards the backyard with her head, “or at your apartment. We’ve never had to worry about who might hear what. Now that things are more ‘normal’ we have to be extra careful what we say.”

Lee chuckled. “If this is what you consider ‘normal’, I’d hate to think what you consider complicated.”

Amanda elbowed him in the side. “Ha, ha. You know what I mean.”

“Yes, I do.” Lee bent down to place a gentle kiss on her lips.

“Ugh! Get a room you two.”

Lee and Amanda broke their kiss and turned around to see the giant grin on Phillip’s face.

“I’m just joking. I think it’s great that you two feel comfortable enough around us not to hide your feelings for each other.” Phillip moved closer to the couch. “Seriously, Lee, mom seems so much happier when you’re around. You’re good for her.”

Lee looked at Amanda, a satisfied smile on his face. “Thanks, Chief.”

Before Amanda could comment, the phone began ringing. She raised her eyebrows at Lee.

“I wonder who it could be at this hour.” Dotty remarked as she came in from the backyard and placed her book on the counter.

Phillip changed direction and went to answer it. “Hello? … Hi, Dad. … Yeah, hold on a minute, she’s right here.” He held the phone out towards his mother. “Mom, it’s Dad, he says he needs to talk to you.”

Amanda patted Lee’s leg as she rose from the couch and went to retrieve the phone from her son. Placing the receiver to her ear, she kept her focus on activity in the den. “Hi, Joe.” She watched Phillip head over towards Lee and ask if he could change the channel on the television. “Yeah, I suppose we could … How about I meet you here at the house for lunch? … I’m helping with the book sale at the school and don’t want to be gone too long … Great, I’ll see you around eleven-thirty tomorrow … I will. Bye, Joe.” Returning the receiver to its base, she leaned against the counter.

“Isn’t this Joe’s weekend with the boys?” Dotty asked as she went to remove a glass from the cabinet. Moving to the sink, she turned on the faucet and filled her glass.

Amanda nodded in reply as Lee came to stand beside her.

“What did Joe want?” Lee looked at his wife curiously.

“He wants to drop off Phillip’s football helmet. Apparently Phillip left it in his car Tuesday after Joe picked him up from practice and he hasn’t had a chance to return it until now. I’m kind of glad he called. I’ve been meaning to call him anyway. With Sydney here, I was going to see if he wouldn’t mind switching weekends. I want to plan some kind of outing for Sydney and it would be more fun if we could do it as a family. She might feel a little more at ease with Jamie and Phillip around.” Amanda took her husband’s hand in hers and gave it a little squeeze. Lee seemed to have gotten past his jealousy of Joe, especially now that they were married, but she still felt like she needed to reassure him, every now and then, that he had nothing to fear with regard to her ex-husband.

Lee squeezed her hand in return. He didn’t feel threatened by Joe, at least not anymore, but it was still nice to know that Amanda felt the need to put his mind at ease. “I heard you mention meeting him at eleven-thirty. Aren’t we going to be busy with the sale at the school?”

“Yes, but I don’t think they’ll miss me for an hour.” Amanda saw Lee’s eyes widen as he realized that she would be leaving him alone to handle things. She removed her hand from his and patted his arm. “Don’t worry, I promise not to be gone too long. You’ll do just fine.” She winked at him and then turned towards Dotty. “Mother, will you be here to let Joe in, just in case I’m running a little late.”

Dotty placed her now empty glass in the dishwasher. “Probably not. Edna Gilstrap is going to pick me up around eleven. We’re going to grab some lunch and then go shopping for new plants.” She started moving towards the den. “You know, Amanda, it’s the most amazing thing. All of a sudden things are starting to grow under the kitchen window again. I want to find something really pretty to plant in that spot. I’ve really missed having flowers under there.”

Amanda gave her husband a knowing look and he smiled at her in return. Now that Lee was using the front door, he didn’t have to sneak around in her flowerbeds anymore. “Sounds like you’ve got a fun day planned for yourself.”

“Well I do enjoy wandering around in a flower shop.” Dotty changed direction and went over to the counter. Picking up the book she had dropped there when she had come in earlier, she headed back into the den. “Amanda, do you remember getting anything from the phone company about them doing any work to the phone lines in the neighborhood? Like a note in the mail or even a phone call?”

Amanda shook her head. “No, Mother, I don’t recall anything like that, why?”

“Well, it’s just that the phone company appears to be working on the lines, again.” Dotty sat down in the armchair in the den, placing her book in her lap. “I could have sworn I remember them working on the lines just recently. In fact, they always seem to park right in front of that house at the end of the street, the old Cooperman place. You know the house that’s always up for rent. That house never can seem to hold onto occupants for more then a few days or weeks. Do you remember that nice looking young man, Mr. Sampson I think his name was?” She glanced in her daughter’s direction when Amanda let out a small cough. “You know, the one that I told you to invite over, but you never did. I guess that’s because he only stayed around for a few days, not even a complete week.”

Lee tried to conceal a chuckle as he looked over at his wife; her eyes were closed and she was shaking her head. “Perhaps they finally found someone to rent the place, long term. I’ve always lived in apartments, but I know they have to come over and flip some switch whenever anyone signs up for service. Maybe they’re just getting the phone lines updated for the new occupants.”

Dotty opened her book to the place she had book marked. “Well perhaps, but doesn’t it seem odd to you that they would be working this late in the evening? I don’t know about you but I can’t think of any reason why a phone company would be working at night. Do you want to know what I think is really going on?”

Amanda opened her eyes and stared at her mother. “I can only imagine.”

Dotty ignored her daughter’s sarcastic comment. “I think that that’s not really a telephone company van. I think that it’s someone from the government tapping our lines.”

“Cool, you mean like spying.” Phillip took his eyes off the program he’d been watching and glanced over at his grandmother.

“I’m sure she doesn’t mean that, Phillip.” Amanda shook her head, as she felt Lee tense up next to her. “Honestly, Mother I think you’ve been reading too many spy novels lately. What could possibly be going on around here that would interest the government? It’s just your typical suburban neighborhood.” She wanted to choke on her last words. It was hardly typical. She could count on her hands the number of times that matters of national security had indeed crept into her quiet little suburban neighborhood.

“I still think there’s something fishy about that van.” Dotty mumbled, before turning her attention on her book.

Lee caught Amanda’s eye. They both knew exactly what or who that van really belonged to. He made a mental note to mention it to Billy. Perhaps they had been using that cover a few too many times. He’d spent enough time around Amanda’s to know that Dotty wasn’t the only curious one. From what he had gathered, there were quite a few busybodies in this neighborhood.

Amanda shrugged and then glanced at the clock on the counter. Realizing what time it was, she moved over to the back of the couch and placed her hands on Phillip’s shoulder. “Time for bed, sweetheart.”

“Aw, Mom. This show is almost over.” Phillip turned around and looked pleadingly at Amanda. “Please, can’t I…”

Amanda shook her head. “I’m sorry, Phillip, but no. You have school tomorrow and besides it’s not like you started watching this show from the beginning.” She saw him start to protest. “I know for a fact you that only turned this show on ten minutes ago. Now, no more arguments, I want you to head upstairs and get ready for bed. I’ll be up to say goodnight in fifteen minutes.” She then headed in the direction of the dining room.

“But Mom, it’ll be over in another ten minutes. Can’t you tell Jamie and Sydney to get ready for bed first?” Phillip tucked his knees under him and rested his head on his hands, as he leaned on the back of the couch.

Amanda shook her head and put her hands on her hips. “Jamie is still working on his homework. You’ve finished yours. It’s time for bed young man.”

Before Phillip could protest again, Lee stepped next to Amanda. “Chief, I think you better listen to your mom. If I remember correctly, we were all running a bit late this morning and that was with just one extra person needing to get ready in the morning.” He pointed to himself. “We now have one more person who’ll need to get ready, pushing everyone’s schedules even further back.” He walked over and put a hand on Phillip’s shoulder. “That means you have to get up even earlier tomorrow.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Phillip turned around and rose from the couch, his head hung in defeat as he headed for the stairs. “Goodnight, Mom, Lee. Goodnight Grandma.”

“Goodnight, Phillip” All three said in unison.

As Lee headed back towards the kitchen, Amanda stopped him with a hand on his arm. “Nicely done.” She smiled lovingly at her husband.

Lee watched his wife head in the direction of the dining room and as her words sunk in a wide grin appeared on his face; he really was beginning to get the hang of this parenting thing. Resuming his earlier path to the kitchen, he walked over to the coffee maker. Opening the cabinet, he took out the coffee grounds and began making a fresh pot. He and Amanda had a lot of things to go over tonight and he would need the extra caffeine to keep him awake.

Amanda stopped in the doorway of the dining room, smiling she listened to her son and Sydney.

“It’s great you're studying the same stuff and you’re at the same level, too. I should be able to jump right in and then, when I get back home, it’ll be like I haven’t missed anything.” Sydney smiled in Jamie’s direction.

Jamie shrugged. “Yeah, well thanks for doing my homework with me.”

“Ahem.”

Jamie and Sydney turned around at the sound of Amanda’s voice. “Um, Mom. I didn’t mean that the way it sounded.”
Sydney jumped to her new friend’s defense. “I offered to do the homework with him, so that, if we are in the same classes while I’m here, like you said you were going to try and arrange, then I can contribute, too.”

Amanda smiled as she approached them. “I know, I was in the room when you suggested going over what Jamie was studying.” She placed a hand on each of their shoulders. “So is your homework done?” Her son nodded and she gently squeezed his shoulder. “Good, then it’s time for you two to get ready for bed.” She stepped back so that they could push their chairs away from the table.

Jamie collected his books and turned to head out of the room. “Goodnight, Lee, Grandma,” he called has he began his ascent up the stairs.

Sydney held back and, tucking her hair behind her ear, looked in Amanda’s direction. “I didn’t get Jamie in trouble, did I? I mean I didn’t really help him with his homework, it was more like were doing it together.”

Amanda wrapped her arm comfortingly around the young girl’s shoulder. “No, Jamie’s not in trouble. It’s a mother’s duty to make her children sweat a little.” She winked at Sydney as they began walking towards the stairs. When they reached the steps, she removed her arm and watched as Sydney stepped started up the stairs. “Sydney…”

The young girl stopped and turned to look at Amanda. “Yes?”

“I just wanted to let you know how glad I am that you’re staying with us.” Amanda smiled warmly. “I also want you to know that if you need anything…anything at all, don’t hesitate to ask; even if it’s the middle of the night, okay?”

That warm feeling that Sydney had felt at the airport, returned. Without warning, she stepped back towards Amanda and wrapped her arms around the older woman. “I promise.”

Amanda returned the hug and placed a kiss on the top of Sydney’s head. “Now, go on and get ready for bed. I’ll be up shortly to check on you, too.”

Sydney smiled and stepped out of the embrace and practically ran up the stairs.

Amanda turned to head back into the den. She cringed when she heard her mother talking to Lee. She was just about to go and rescue her husband, but then stopped. Assuming that her mother and husband might not be as candid with her in the room, she decided to eavesdrop instead.

“You know, Lee,” Dotty looked at Lee innocently. “I couldn’t help but overhear what Phillip said to you earlier.”

“A lot has happened tonight, you’ll have to refresh my memory, Dotty.” Lee gave his mother-in-law a confused glance. He and Phillip had had quite a few conversations tonight. They had talked about school during dinner and about girls and sports while playing basketball. He thought back on their conversation about girls. Phillip had simply been asking what do to when two girls liked you at the same time. He had given Phillip what he thought was pretty good advice on how to handle the situation so that neither girl would be hurt. He didn’t think Dotty had been in earshot of the driveway, though. Taking a sip of his coffee, he couldn’t wait to hear what his mother-in-law was referring to.

Dotty put her bookmark in her book and smiled sweetly at her daughter’s boyfriend. “He said you were good for his mom and I couldn’t agree more. I’ve never seen Amanda so happy. I’ve seen the way you two look at each other. You two are so obviously in love with each other, it’s almost like you have that newlywed glow. I’d love to see a ring on my daughter’s finger sometime in the very near future.” She let out an exaggerated sigh. “I just don’t understand what you two are waiting for.”

Lee had just taken another sip of his coffee and almost choked on it. Amanda had been right; Dotty wasn’t going to let up on the getting married comments. Trying to hide his shock, he coughed and put the cup on the coffee table.

Knowing that her husband was most likely growing quite uncomfortable, Amanda decided it was time to go rescue him. Leaving her spot on the landing, she headed into the den. “Well, the boys and Sydney are getting ready for bed. I’m going to give them another ten minutes and then go up and check on them.” She sat on the couch next to Lee and patted his knee reassuringly.

Dotty rose from her seat. “I was just on my way up, I can check on them if you want.”

“Do you mind? Lee and I do have some of our own homework to do.” Amanda gasped when a mischievous smile spread on her mother’s face and she heard Lee cough. “Not that kind of homework, Mother. Lee actually brought some work home from the office.”

Dotty headed towards the stairs. “Uh-huh, sure, whatever you say, dear.” She smiled and let out a little chuckle as she turned the corner. “Goodnight, you two. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

“Mother…” Amanda called out to Dotty, exasperation in her tone.

Dotty poked her head back around the doorframe, a teasing grin on her face. “Yes, sweetheart?”

Amanda shook her head. “Nothing, Mother, absolutely nothing.”

“Okay, well then, goodnight.”

“A-man-da…” Lee drew out her name. “Did you really have to go and say that?”

Amanda began laughing as she turned to look in her husband’s eyes. “Honestly, Lee, I didn’t mean for it to come out like that.”

Lee glared at her in mock annoyance. “Oh, so you think this is funny?” He leaned closer to her and spoke in a quiet voice. “It’s a good thing we’re already married. If we weren’t, and she had said that to me a year ago, that type of comment from your mother might just have scared me off big time.”

Amanda swatted him in the ribs. “Well, you have a point there.”

Lee pulled back to look at her and his brows furrowed as he took in her unreadable expression. She was getting a little too good at hiding her emotions. “And what point is that?”

Amanda shrugged. “Well, if I didn't know that I'd already made an honest man out of you, I might be a little worried.” She let a playful smile cross her lips, as she leaned in seductively. “But I know the old Scarecrow is gone. The man afraid of commitment disappeared a long time ago.” She tantalizingly trailed a finger up his arm.

Lee gulped. What was she up to? This definitely wasn’t the time and place for this. Dotty and everyone were definitely not asleep yet. Deciding to play along, he wrapped his arm around her waist. “Oh, you definitely made me a one woman man.” He placed a gentle kiss on her lips. As he began to pull her closer and began to deepen the kiss, he felt her hands on his chest.

Before her husband could register what was happening, Amanda pushed him away and was out of his arms in a matter of seconds. Quickly standing she stepped away from the couch and stared down at him, a satisfied grin on her face. “Come on, Scarecrow. There’s no time for fooling around we have work to do. Didn’t you tell me you were bringing home some photos and files we needed to go through?”

Lee hung his head and took a deep breath. He knew they couldn’t repeat what had happened last night and it was going to be very hard to fall asleep knowing she was going to be so close. But did she have to tempt him like that. Getting his emotions under control, he looked up at her. “You’re one wicked woman, Amanda Stetson.”

“I know.” Amanda smiled wickedly at him. “Now, get off your butt and go get those files.”

Lee mock saluted. “Yes ma’am.” He rose from the couch and headed towards the back door. “I’ll be right back. I left them in the car. I figured they were safer from prying eyes that way.”

Amanda nodded. “Good idea. I’ll meet you in the dining room. I figure we can set up in there, have a little privacy and still be able to see anyone coming down the stairs.” After watching her husband head out the door, she picked up his coffee cup and walked into the kitchen. Pulling out a mug for herself, she refilled Lee’s and made herself a cup as well. Adding sugar to hers, she added cream to his and then headed into the dining room. She had just placed the mugs on the table when she heard the back door open and close. Sitting down in one of the seats facing the entranceway, she opened her eyes wide when her husband entered the dining room carrying a file box full to the rim with folders. “Goodness Lee, what did you do, bring half the vault with you?”

“No, but close. Jack gave us the name of the guy he thinks is behind this.” Lee placed the box on the table and took the seat next to Amanda. “His name is Valery Kholokov and he’s part of the KGB’s psych-ops division.” He started pulling files out of the box and handing them to his wife.

Amanda took the files and after a quick glance into the contents of each, she started putting them in organized piles. “Wait, psych-ops? Isn’t that the same division that Krutiov was part of?”

Lee nodded his head slowly. “Exactly, that’s why we have so many files to go through. We made that connection too. Figure it can’t hurt to cross-reference, especially since we have a ton of material on Krutiov and only have half that amount on Kholokov.” He paused for a second and looked towards Amanda. “I’ve been thinking.” His wife turned and gazed at him, her eyebrows raised questioningly. “Are you sure you don’t want to have the boys go with Joe? I mean, what if something happens over the weekend…”

Amanda shook her head. “I know what you’re getting at and no, I want to keep everyone here with us. I can’t really explain why, it’s just that I want to make sure I know where everyone is. I guess you can say it’s a mother thing.”

Lee nodded and smiled reassuringly. “Actually, I understand completely. I feel better knowing that I’m the one keeping my eyes on them during this whole thing, too.” He placed the empty box on the floor as he handed Amanda the final documents from the box. “I just wanted to make sure you felt the same way that I did.”

Amanda placed the last file in its appropriate pile and surveyed the amount of work ahead of them. Sighing, she picked up a folder on each man and started comparing the information within. “So, are you going to tell me what Dr. Smyth said?”

Lee picked up a folder on Kholokov. “You had to go and bring that up, didn’t you?”

“I’m sorry, Lee, but I’ve been dying to know ever since you brought it up before dinner.” Amanda replied, as she continued her reading.

Lee leaned back, rubbed his forehead and sighed. “Well, Billy was reluctant to say too much of anything really except a few words of warning. Which leads me to believe that a lot more went on in Billy’s meeting with old high and mighty than he was willing to tell me. I think Billy was afraid I might do bodily harm to Dr. Smyth if I knew exactly what the old man had said.” His wife stopped reading and looked at him curiously. “Well, while Jack was working on the forms for Sydney, Billy warned me again, not to look into Project Christmas. Dr. Smyth was adamant that I keep my nose out of it. Billy then went on to tell me that Dr. Smyth was looking for any excuse to pull me off of this one. Apparently he didn’t like the idea that you and I were going to be living under one roof.”

“Well, what did he expect was going to happen?” Amanda huffed in exasperation. “I’m sure he knew Mr. Melrose had chosen me and my family to take Sydney in. He knows you’re my partner. Did he honestly think that I wouldn’t want the extra protection for my own children? Never mind, I already know the answer to that one. He didn’t think about the assignment in that way because he doesn’t have children of his own, besides I know his take on children. Dr. Smyth believes that all children should be seen and not heard. As far as he’s concerned they’re are an expendable nuisance.” She grunted as she remembered back to the case with Khai. Dr. Smyth had made it quite clear that he didn’t give a fig about what happened to Khai’s son. “I’m glad I wasn’t there, I might have gone and given Dr. Smyth a piece of my own mind. What else did our fearless leader have to say?”

Lee turned in his seat and took her hands in his. “Amanda, Dr. Smyth isn’t as blind as we would like to think he is. I’m positive that he’s heard the water cooler gossip and I’m sure he thinks that we’re more than partners.” As she opened her mouth to comment, he let go of her left hand and placed his right index finger over her mouth. “Well, we are. Anyway, the comment Billy made was that Dr. Smyth didn’t want our ‘playing house’ to give us any ideas.”

Amanda gently pushed her husband’s finger away. “Lee, we’ve been so focused on the idea of coming clean about our marriage because we want to be a family that I never once thought about what Dr. Smyth’s reaction was going to be. From what you said earlier, I gather that he’d love nothing more than to break us up as partners.” Squeezing the hand that was still holding hers, she looked lovingly into her husband’s eyes. “I don’t want to be separated from you. We’re partners in more ways than one. You’re the main reason I’ve stayed with the Agency for so long.”

Lee lovingly caressed her cheek with his right hand. “I know and I won’t work with another partner. Look, we’ll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.” Taking her left hand back into his, he locked eyes with her. “I’ll be honest with you, Amanda. I don’t really care what happens. If I have to take a desk job, I will.” He saw her start to protest. “I know what you’re going to say. I’d hate being behind a desk. Maybe I would, but you know what, I’m willing to give it a try because being a real family is more important to me than anything. I married you, Amanda, for better or worse.”

Tears welled up in Amanda’s eyes. “I love you so much, Lee.” She leaned forward and kissed him.

Lee let go of her hands and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer, deepening the kiss. As they pulled part, he tenderly wiped her eyes. “Okay, enough of this. As someone pointed out to me earlier, we have work to do.”

Amanda smiled. “Yeah, and we have to be up early to get everyone moving and to school on time.”

Lee turned his attention back towards the folders on the table. He meant what he’d said. He didn’t care what happened, as long as he had Amanda and his family, he would be a happy man. Opening the folder in front of him, he got back to the task at hand. He needed to familiarize himself with as many of the KGB agents associated with Kholokov as he could and figure out which ones posed the most likely threat to his family and Sydney.