- Text Size +
Epilogue

Thursday morning, September 24th

Lee entered the outer office and walked past the empty assistant’s desk. Things were definitely changing. Never in a million years would he have believed that he would willingly be coming into work for a meeting this early in the morning. However, what he was about to do would more than make up for the unusual hour. Without knocking, he turned the knob and entered Dr. Smyth’s office.

Dr. Smyth looked up at the intruder. “Well, well, well. When my assistant called me last night at home to let me know I had an early morning meeting she neglected to tell me who it was with.” He then pointed to his appointment book. “But when I came in this morning and saw that the meeting was with you, Scarecrow, and that you wanted to meet with me at seven-thirty in the morning, I thought she must have written down the time wrong or you were playing some cruel joke on me. I guess I won’t have to fire her for making me get in so early for nothing.” He closed his appointment book as he continued to puff on his cigarette. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure of your presence this early, Stetson?”

Lee walked up to Dr. Smyth and handed him two documents. “I wanted to personally hand these to you.”

Dr. Smyth glanced at the headers of both papers and then back at Lee. “You’re wasting my morning for a change of address form and a change of name form?”

“You might want to take a look at the names of the employees who are filing them.” Lee gave him a knowing look. “Oh, and this might help make things a little clearer.” He handed him another piece of paper with his left hand, making sure the glimmer of gold on his ring finger was clearly visible. “It’s a copy of my marriage license, and before you ask if it’s real, I assure you it’s as real as they come.” Then, before Dr. Smyth could say anything else, he reached into his suit pocket, pulled out a white envelope marked confidential and placed it on the desk. “And Billy asked me to give this to you, too.” He watched the almighty director of the Agency with extreme interest as the information began sinking in.

Dr. Smyth narrowed his eyes at Lee. “I told Melrose not to give you and your partner the Bristow case. I told him it would go to your heads.”

Lee shook his head. “You might want to take a look at the date on the marriage license. The only thing this case did was make me realize that I want to live the life I’m entitled to. Lay all my secrets out on the table so to speak.”

Dr. Smyth looked down at the date and then puffed on his cigarette again. “Oh the tangled webs we weave, when at first we practice to deceive.” Locking eyes with the agent in front of him, a sinister smirk crept across his face. “You do realize that this little revelation means that your partnership with the little housewife is hereby terminated, right?”

“I think you might want to read that letter, the one marked Confidential, with the Presidential Seal. I believe you’ll find it most interesting.” Lee kept his expression neutral. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go meet my wife and partner. We have an early morning meeting with Billy.” He turned and began heading towards the door. “Something about a new case he has for both of us.” Fighting the urge to see the look on the old man’s face, he continued his path out of the office.

Dr. Smyth watched the agent's retreating figure as Lee passed through the outer office. “Stetson, if you think that you and Mrs. King are going to remain partners in the field, you’re sadly mistaken. We haven’t even begun to discuss the implications of married agents working in the field together. If you walk out that door right now, it had better be to go and tender your resignation!”

Lee ignored the old man’s threats and kept on walking. He knew, that once Dr. Smyth read the letter, the Agency’s director was going to be eating crow. Entering the hallway, he turned in the direction of the elevators and whistled softly as he strolled down the carpeted hallway. For the first time, in a very long time, he felt at peace. He had a loving family, the perfect partner, and all the important secrets of his life were finally out in the open. Reaching the elevator, he pushed the call button and glanced briefly back in the direction he had just come from. A wide grin spread across his face at the knowledge that Dr. Smyth wouldn’t be able to do anything to the team of Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Stepping into the now waiting elevator, he heard the noise of Dr. Smyth’s door slamming shut echoing through the empty corridor and his grin grew even wider. It was going to be a wonderful future.

The End
Chapter End Notes:
References are made to situations or dialogue that took place during the following Alias episodes:

“Snowman” (Season 1) – written by Jesse Alexander & Jeff Pinkner;

“Cipher” (Season 2) – written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman-Counter

“Salvation” (Season 2) – written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman-Counter

“Reprisal” (Season 5) – written by Monica Breen & Alison Schapker

“All the Time in the World” (Season 5) – written by Jeff Pinkner & Drew Goddard

The majority of the information about Project Christmas came from the second season Alias episode “The Indicator” written by Jeff Pinker.

Also, a side note, in the series, Sydney Bristow, CIA agent extraordinaire, is supposed to be fluent in 25 languages

References are made to situations or dialogue that took place during the following SMK episodes:

“The First Time” (Season 1) – written by Eugenie Ross-Leming & Brad Buckner;

“The ACM Kid” (Season 1) – written by Gregory S. Dinallo;

“Lost & Found” (Season 1) – written by Eugenie Ross-Leming & Brad Buckner;

“I am Not Now, Nor Have I Ever Been…a Spy” (Season 1) – written by Peter Lefcourt;

“The Long Christmas Eve” (Season 1) – written by Peter Lefcourt;

“Double Agent” (Season 2) – written by Robert Bielak;

“Playing Possum” (Season 2) – written by Rudolph Borchert;

“Spiderweb” (Season 2) – written by Juanita Bartlett, Stephen Hattman & March Kessler;

“A Relative Situation” (Season 2) – written by Joan Brooker & Nancy Eddo;

“Life of the Party” (Season 2) – written by Stephen Hattman;

“Vigilante Mothers” (Season 2) – written by Rudolph Borchert;

“The Wrong Way Home” (Season 3) – written by Nelson Costello & Robert W. Gilmer;

“The Triumvirate” (Season 3) – written by Robert Bielak;

“The Eyes Have It” Season 3 – written by Nelson Costello & Robert W. Gilmer;

“All the World’s a Stage” (Season 3) – written by Richard Raskind;

“Stemwinder Parts 1 & 2” (Season 4) – written by Robert W. Gilmer & George Geiger;

“Unfinished Business” (Season 4) – written by Lynne Kelsey;

“Nightcrawler” (Season 4) – written by George Geiger;

“Billy’s Lost Weekend” (Season 4) – written by Tom Chehak;

“Photo Finish” (Season 4) – written by David Brown;

“The Man Who Died Twice” (Season 4) – written by Cynthia Benjamin;

“Any Number Can Play” (Season 4) – written by Lynne Kelsey;

“Promises to Keep” (Season 4) – written by David Brown, Lynne Kelsey & Lee Maddux;

“Do You Take This Spy” (Season 4) – written by Robert W. Gilmer, Tom Chehak & George Geiger;

“Mission of Gold” (Season 4) – written by Lynne Kelsey.

The movie Spaceballs was written by Thomas Meehan, Ronny Graham and of course Mel Brooks, who also directed and produced the movie. I thank them for writing such witty dialogue and allowing me to borrow them.

And:

“O, what a tangled web we weave,

When first we practice to deceive!

But when we've practiced quite a while.

How vastly we improve our style.”

—J.R. Pope, A Word of Encouragement (updating Sir Walter Scott's Marmion)