- Text Size +
Chapter Seventeen

Wednesday, September 23rd

Startled by the sound of a knock on his door, Billy looked from the file he had been reading, and waved Lee and Amanda into his office. As the pair entered the room, he immediately noticed the paper in Amanda’s hand and smiled. “Is that your final report on the Sydney Bristow case?”

Lee nodded as his wife handed the report to their section chief. “It’s as complete as it’s going to be. We still don’t know what Jack did to Issac Borsky once he took him into custody.”

“Well, I didn’t expect you to be able to give an account of Jack’s little indiscretion.” Billy scanned the report briefly. “This looks like it’s a very complete and thorough job as usual, Amanda, despite the mystery of Issac Borsky’s current whereabouts.” He smiled and nodded at the brunette, as she sat down in her usual chair.

“Actually, Billy, Jack stopped by Amanda’s last night, and I found out that he let Borsky go. Sent him back to Russia with ‘a message’ for Kholokov.” Lee took the seat next to his wife. “We weren’t sure if we should put that in our report, or not. For the moment, we left it out, but if you think we should include it, we’ll amend the report once we’re done here.”

Billy shook his head. “While normally I’d say yes, especially since you do have knowledge of his supposed whereabouts, in this case, however, since you left Borsky in CIA custody, we’ll let the CIA file that information.” Scanning the report briefly, he found the section he was looking for. “As far as your report is concerned, since you noted that Jack informed you that he had planned on taking him to the CIA, and his reasons for doing so, I’d say we can officially wash our hands of the matter. Let the CIA deal with all the mess and paperwork.” He placed the report on his desk and then picked up another document. “While this might not be the same as an actual ‘I’m sorry for deceiving you’, it might help make up for Jack’s lack of judgment.” He handed the paper to Lee before looking in Amanda’s direction. “It’s a commendation from the Director of the CIA.”

Amanda leaned over towards her husband in order to read the letter. “Why would they do that sir? I would have thought that they’d be rather upset with us, especially since Sydney ended up getting kidnapped while we were supposed to be protecting her?”

Billy gave her a knowing smile. “What happened was a fluke, no one could have predicted the turn of events that led up to the kidnapping. The fact that your son was also kidnapped didn’t go unnoticed by the CIA either. In light of the personal aspect to this whole situation, I want to go on record as saying that you two did an amazing job, as usual, not waiting for backup aside.” He looked down at the letter in Lee’s hand. “And, as you’ll read in the commendation, the CIA was extremely grateful to you for taking in one of theirs, especially since it put your family at considerable risk. I wasn’t going to bring this up but, in light of the fact that he’s probably not your favorite person at the moment, I thought you should know that Jack was the one who arranged for you both to be given the commendation. According to the Director of the CIA, Jack hasn’t seen his daughter so happy in a long time and he wanted to do something to thank you for making her feel like a member of your family. Although I have a feeling the idea was more Sydney’s than Jack’s.”

Lee’s eyes widen in surprise. “You mean Jack told Sydney that he works for the CIA?”

Billy shook his head. “No, I’m pretty sure Jack hopes to take that secret to his grave. What I meant was that I think Sydney probably asked her father if he could do something nice for the two of you. I’m guessing that Jack came up with this.” He turned his gaze out the window into the bullpen and then back towards Amanda, a question in his eyes. “By the way, where are Jamie and Sydney?”

“Well we couldn’t really arrange for them to take a tour of the Agency, as much as they would have liked that, so once they finished giving their statements, we brought them down to see Leatherneck.” Amanda smiled at her boss. “He was really impressed with the transmitter they built and wanted to hear, first hand, how they made it. I’m glad Francine had one of the agents retrieve it from the back room of the pawnshop. Apparently Sydney used her mom’s bracelet as a conductor, and was worried that she wouldn’t get it back. Now I know that she won’t have to worry about losing that link to her mother, and, if Leatherneck wants to keep the transmitter working, he can use something in his shop to replace the missing piece.”

Billy let out a low belly laugh. “I can just see Leatherneck now. He’s probably showing off some of his own gadgets, and basking in the glory of being admired by two teenagers. I just hope he doesn’t go overboard.”

Lee laughed along with his boss. “Well, I wouldn’t worry too much about that, Jack’s down there with them.”

“He’s probably giving Leatherneck the stern, but silent, treatment.” Amanda let out a small sigh. “I just hope that Jack listened to some of my advice last night. Sydney really needs to know that her father cares about her.”

“I know what you mean and we can only hope. I assume you made Sydney promise to keep in touch?” Billy smiled as Amanda nodded in response. “I’m glad and I hope you’ll give me occasional updates on how she’s doing.”

Amanda nodded. “I promise to do that, sir.”

“Good.” Billy stood up from his seat, his gaze still on his female agent, and leaned his hands on his desk. “By the way, Amanda, I happened to catch some of Jamie’s statement as he was giving it, and I wanted to tell you that I think he was very brave, trying to protect Sydney back at the school. Not many kids his age would have the guts to stand up to adults like that, most would either try and run away or just freeze up. I can tell he has a good head on his shoulders, and he definitely puts others’ safety before his own.”

Lee glanced over at his wife, a proud and loving expression on his face. “Just like his mother.”

Billy saw the color rise slightly on Amanda’s cheeks and knew that, although she was proud of her son, she was more than a little embarrassed by the praise from her partner. Smiling, he decided now was the perfect time to discuss another issue. Moving around his desk, he leaned back against it and folded his arms across his chest. “Now, on to other matters. I was wondering if there was anything you two would like to share with me?” He asked in a fatherly tone.

Lee looked at Amanda and then at his section chief. “I’m not sure what you mean, Billy.”

“I saw the way Francine was walking around here yesterday.” Billy looked at Lee skeptically. “And although I didn’t come out and ask her what was wrong, I did pick up a few words here and there, and I’m almost positive she said something about marriage and you, Scarecrow.” He then turned his attention on Amanda.

Amanda looked at her husband who shrugged. “I guess now is as good a time as any.” She turned back towards their section chief. “We were planning on telling you once this whole situation with Sydney was wrapped up, sir. I’m sure that you’ve put a few things together by now and even though, from what Lee told me of his conversation with Francine, he didn’t really come out and tell her, but from what everyone is saying and the few snide remarks she’s thrown my way, I’m sure she’s figured it out by now. I think we’ll have to buy her some chocolates to make up for the fact that we didn’t tell her sooner.”

Lee took Amanda’s hand in his and smiled lovingly at her. “What Amanda’s trying to tell you, Billy, is that she and I got married.” He turned and looked at his friend.

Billy couldn’t keep the stern look on his face any longer, and his mouth spread into a huge grin. “Well it’s about time.” He then turned around and took two envelopes off his desk. “I have to tell you I’m glad my suspicions were correct, and on the off chance that I was right, I took the liberty of calling in a favor or two.” He handed one of the envelopes to Amanda. “This is an official order from the President that prohibits anyone from splitting you two up in the field unless you two make the decision on your own. Consider it a belated wedding present.”

Amanda stared at the envelope in her hand before looking at her husband. Without even opening the letter, she rose and wrapped her arms around Billy. “Sir, this is probably the best wedding present anyone could have given us.” She then stepped back and wiped a stray tear away from her eye. “Sorry about that, sir. I guess I got a little overwhelmed.”
Billy grinned at her and pulled her back into a hug. “Don’t apologize. I’m extremely happy for you two. Although, I think it would have been nicer if you hadn’t kept this a secret from me for seven months.” He released Amanda from the embrace and looked over at Lee.

“Billy, how long have you known?” Lee eyed his friend and boss suspiciously.

“Only about a day. After I pulled in the favor, I got in touch with your friend T.P. Aquinas and had him do a little digging for me.” Billy watched Amanda take her seat again. “If he hadn’t turned up your marriage license, I would have assumed that you told Francine that you had finally decided to ask Amanda to marry you or that you two were simply engaged. Either way, I figured this would end up being a wedding present, one way or another.”

“I guess we owe T.P. an explanation.” Lee looked over at his wife before turning his attention back on his boss. “I suppose we owe you one, too.”

Billy shook his head. “No, you don’t. I’m sure you had your reasons, and in this business keeping secrets is a fact of life. Besides, I was kind of hoping that when I assigned Sydney to you two, your living situation would force the issue.” He looked directly at Lee. “I kept trying to give you hints about marriage, and I was beginning to think that I was speaking to a brick wall. It’s nice to know that some of those words of wisdom didn’t fall on deaf ears.” He winked at Amanda.

“So, you’re really okay with this?” Lee pointed between himself and Amanda.

“Lee, I’m more than okay with it.” Billy nodded and grinned. “In fact if you hadn’t wised up after living under the same roof with Amanda, I was seriously considering making it an official order that the two of you tie the knot.”

“Sir, what’s in the other envelope?” Amanda asked eyeing the white document Billy was still holding.

“Oh, this is a copy of the letter that I just gave you. I’m supposed to deliver it to Dr. Smyth.” Billy grinned devilishly before handing the letter to Lee. “However, I think you might have more fun delivering it to the old man than I will.”

Lee accepted the letter. “Billy, this is the best present you could have given me.” He grinned at his friend.

Before the section chief could respond, Francine opened the door. “Billy, here are the backup team’s reports. I thought you’d like to…” She paused when she took in the happy faces on the three people in the room. “Why do I feel like I’ve just missed something important?” She rolled her eyes when no one answered her. “Fine, don’t tell me. Anyway,” she looked back at her boss, “I thought you’d like to have these when you meet with Dr. Smyth this afternoon.” She handed three folders to Billy. “The reports are in the bottom folder, the top two contain paperwork you need to sign.” She pointed to the top one. “If you could take care of the paperwork in the first one now, it’s the documentation that officially relinquishes any further hold we have on Ivan Plotkovich.” She then turned and, leaning back against Billy’s desk, looked at her fellow agents. “I'm sooo glad that this case is over and the Q-Bureau is all yours again. You two owe me big time, even if did Billy order me to take over your case files, I still had to do your jobs for a whole week.” She smiled thoughtfully, as she tapped her finger against her chin. "You know I saw the most gorgeous Vera Wang at Nordstroms that would be perfect to wear on my date to the Kennedy Center Friday night. There's also a matching bag and shoes to go with it...”

Lee rolled his eyes. “Just how much is this ensemble going to set me back?”
Francine smiled knowingly and waved her hand slightly. “ Don’t worry about it, I’ll just send you the bill.”

“Here you go, Francine, the paperwork for Plotkovich, all signed and ready to go.” When his assistant turned around to look in his direction, Billy handed her the folder.

Lee shook his head. “I can’t believe we’re really letting Plotkovich go.”

“Well, we did promise the bureaucrats at the Russian Embassy that we would release him once we got Sydney and Jamie back.” Billy glanced at his agent.

“But, Billy, that’s just a technicality, it’s not like Romanovich handed them over, we had to go in and get them.” Lee let out a sigh of disapproval as he looked at his section chief.

“And Plotkovich isn’t really going free.” Francine looked in Lee’s direction. “Fielder’s waiting outside Ivan’s holding cell right now, along with two MPs. Once I bring him a copy of the signed release papers, he’ll be escorting Plotkovich straight to Dulles,” she smiled shrewdly, “and will then pass him over to two members of the Soviet Secret Police, who are waiting to escort him right back to Russia, and straight to the Gulag.”

Lee relaxed in his chair. “Well, at least he’s not getting off totally scot-free. I guess the Soviets aren’t thrilled with his behavior, especially if they’re planning on imprisonment. They only do that if they feel one of their own has disgraced the motherland.” He glanced at Francine. “What about Romanovich and Vadorsky? Surely we’re not going to hand them over, too.”

Billy shook his head. “No, we won’t be. The Soviets waived both of their diplomatic statuses, so we’re free to try them here as enemies of the state, and sentence them to one of our maximum security prisons. Then, once they’ve finished out their sentences here, they’ll be escorted back to Russia, and most likely be sent to the Gulag, as well.” He pointed towards the other folder on his desk. “That’s what’s in this folder, all the necessary paperwork that puts everything into motion, and covers our asses, just in case.”

“That’s good.” Lee nodded towards the folder. “Does it also include orders that Romanovich be placed into solitary confinement, in order to reduce the risk of him escaping?”

Francine let out an exasperated sigh. “Of course it does. We have no intention of letting him get away, not on our watch.” Glancing over at Amanda, she noticed the letter in the brunette’s hand and caught sight of the Presidential seal stamped on the envelope. “What’s that you have in your hand, Amanda?”

Amanda looked at the blonde. “I was just getting ready to open and read it. Would you like to hear what it has to say?”

Francine’s eyes grew wide in anticipation. “Why of course. You know me, I’m never one to turn down an invitation to find out information first hand.”

Amanda rolled her eyes as she accepted the letter opener Billy was offering her. Opening the envelope, she pulled out the letter and began to read.

“By official order of the Office of the President of the United States of America.

This letter officially confirms that the partnership of Lee Stetson, codenamed Scarecrow, and Mrs. Amanda King shall not be dissolved based solely on marital status, whether to each other or other individuals. If at any time the aforementioned team decides to dissolve their partnership, it shall be of their own accord and not by directive from any executive order from within the Agency itself. The office of the President commends the work the team of Scarecrow and Mrs. King has done in the past. The country will forever be in their debt.


And then it’s signed and sealed by the President himself.” She glanced over at her husband briefly before looking back at the letter. “There’s a P.S. too. It reads: Congratulations on turning your professional partnership into a personal one. May you have many years of wedded bliss.”

“Well, how about that. There is absolutely no way Dr. Smyth can separate us now.” Lee winked at his wife.

“So, it’s really true.” Francine stared at the couple in bemused astonishment. “You two really did get married. I can’t believe it.” She walked over to the couch and sank back into it. “The Scarecrow finally settled down and married the housewife. The world really is coming to an end.” She then turned towards Amanda. “I’m sorry for all the comments I’ve made in the past. Obviously you do know him better than I do. Congratulations.”

Lee looked at Billy and then over at his wife who sat there staring dumbfounded at their fellow agent. Turning to the blonde, he laughed. “Well I think you finally did it, Francine.”

Francine looked at her friend. “Did what?”

“You may be the first person in history to render my wife speechless.” Lee caught the glare that both women shot him simultaneously and laughed again.

Francine shook her head. “Now that is something I thought I’d never hear you say, Scarecrow.”

Amanda managed to find her voice again and looked quizzically at the blonde. “What’s that, Francine?”

“I never thought I’d ever live to see the day that Lee Stetson would call anybody his wife and it wasn’t a cover.” Francine rose from her seat and started walking towards the door. “Oh, by the way, I give your little secret about a day before it becomes public knowledge. If you thought you two were the main topic of conversation around the water cooler before, just wait.” Turning the doorknob, she opened the door. “But I want you two to know, I’m here for you…whether you need support or someone to confide in.” She smiled cunningly at the couple and then turned and headed out into the bullpen.

Lee groaned. “Sure she’ll be there for us.” He turned and glanced at his boss. “Right after she rats us out to the Agency grapevine.”

“Somehow I don’t think that even a box of chocolates and some homemade brownies is going to get us back on her good side.” Amanda watched her friend walking towards her desk. She then turned towards her husband. “She’s just getting even with us for not telling her the truth sooner and for everything that happened during this case.” She shook her head when her husband looked at her, a question in his eyes. “Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten so soon. Do I need to remind you that it was your idea that she should teach gym class to a bunch of adolescent boys, or the fact that you dropped a bombshell on her and then left her standing in the hallway without a proper explanation?”

Billy chuckled. “If telling the office gossips is the only revenge Francine plans, then, if I were you, I’d count my blessings that you got off so easily.” He then looked from Lee to Amanda, his expression sobering ever so slightly. “All right you two go on home and spend some time with your family but I expect you back in my office at eight a.m. A new case just came across my desk that’s right up your alley.”

Amanda turned back and looked at her boss. “Are you sure you don’t want to brief us on it now?”

Lee stood and walked over to his wife’s chair and, taking both her hands in his, he pulled her to her feet. “We’ll see you tomorrow, Billy.” As he led his wife out of the office, he shook his head. “I don’t believe you. Billy just told us to spend time with our family and you want to find out what our new case is.”

Amanda smiled. “I figured if Billy told us now then we could sleep in a little later tomorrow.” She chuckled when her husband groaned. “Let’s go down and see Leatherneck. If we leave Jamie and Sydney down there too much longer, they might get some wild ideas, even with Jack supervising.” She entered the hallway ahead of Lee and started walking towards the elevator.

Lee quickened his pace and caught up with his wife. “You’re right, especially since Jamie does just fine on his own when it comes to wild ideas. Let’s not let Leatherneck start showing him how to turn any of the household appliances into sophisticated weaponry.” He’d seen the boys’ attempt at creating a volcano for science class, and what a mess it had made of Amanda’s kitchen. He didn’t want to think what Jamie could do with anything electrical. “You know, I’m still extremely impressed with Jamie and Sydney’s ingenuity in building that transmitter.”

“I am too.” As they waited for the elevator to arrive, Amanda took her husband’s hand in hers and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. She didn’t care who saw anymore. By this time tomorrow their secret would be all over the office anyway. “I’m going to really miss having Sydney around, but I am looking forward to getting things back to normal.”

Lee nodded. “And I’m looking forward to finally being an actual family.” As the elevator doors opened, he smiled as he followed his wife inside the car. “Do you think we could get Phillip out of school early?”

Amanda looked at him curiously. “I guess so…why?”

“Because, even though he was joking around last night, I could tell that Phillip was really disappointed about missing the game Monday night. So I called my friend, the one who got me the first set of tickets, and he managed to get me another set of tickets for today. Apparently the Orioles have a day game this afternoon. So, I was thinking that after we say our goodbyes to Sydney and Jack at the airport, I thought we could head straight over to Camden Yards.” Lee grinned at her with child-like enthusiasm.

Amanda shook her head and laughed. “And exactly when did you make that call, Stetson?” The elevator reached Leatherneck’s floor and she stepped out into the hallway ahead of her husband.

“While Jamie was giving his statement.” Lee looked at her sheepishly and shrugged. “I figured if Billy didn’t give us the day off, I was going to ask for it anyway.”

Amanda rolled her eyes. “You’re incorrigible, you know that? Just don’t go making this a habit, I want the boys to look up to you as a good role model.”

“I can be tough when I want to be, but I have to maintain my cool status somehow.” Lee winked and headed into Leatherneck’s so-called office.

“Don’t worry, love, between your car, your job, and your knowledge of just about everything, I doubt you’ll ever lose your ‘cool’ status.” Amanda playfully swatted his bottom. As she followed him into the room, she couldn’t help but wonder if becoming a family was going to be a good thing or not. For some reason, she had a feeling that she didn’t just gain a husband with her marriage, but a third child as well. Laughing to herself, she suddenly yearned for someone with an adult mentality and had a feeling that she wasn’t going to find someone to meet that description in Leatherneck’s lair of toys and gadgets.

SMK a SMK a SMK

Dotty sat on the couch in the den trying to read the romance novel she had started on Sunday. Glancing at the clock, she wondered how much later her family would be; she wasn’t worried, but it was a school night and it was going to be hard enough to get the boys to bed on time after a day at the ballpark. She looked down at her book and sighed. As much as she was enjoying this book, she felt a pang of regret that she wasn’t reading the spy novel she had started on Friday. She had just gotten to a really good part in the book right before her peaceful world had been turned upside down. Now, however, knowing that her daughter was living the life that she read about in those spy novels, she had decided to put those types of stories on the back burner; at least until she came to terms with her daughter’s career choice. With her overactive imagination she knew that she’d only picture her daughter in place of the heroines in those books. Sighing, she put thoughts of spies, real and fictional, out of her mind and focused her attention back on the love story in her hands. She had just started reading again when she heard the lock click on the front door, followed by the sounds of laughter filling the foyer. Closing her book, she looked towards the entranceway. “Did you guys have fun?”

Phillip raced into the room. “It was awesome, Grandma. You should have been there. Lee’s friend got us seats right behind home plate.”

“Yeah, Grandma, and then we stayed after and got to meet a couple of the players.” Jamie added as he entered the room behind his brother.

Lee followed them shaking his head in amusement. “Dotty, we really did miss not having you there.” He moved over and leaned against the back of the couch.

Dotty smiled at her son-in-law. “Why thank you, Lee, but baseball’s not really my thing so I was more than happy to stay home and read.”

“Did you have a nice quiet evening, Mother?” Amanda asked as she entered the den. Before her mother could respond, a loud clattering of plates hitting the counter came from the kitchen and she turned towards the sound. “Fellas, no more food. You had enough to eat during the game.”

“Mom, I’m still hungry. That last hot dog didn’t even come close to filling me up.” Phillip opened the refrigerator.

Lee glanced over at Jamie and, shaking his head, let out a chuckle. “Where do you two put it? When I was your age, I don’t ever remember eating as much as you and your brother.” His youngest stepson just shrugged in response.

Amanda walked into the kitchen. “Sorry, Phillip, you’ll just have to wait till breakfast before eating again.” As her son stepped back, she closed the door. “Okay, you two.” She turned from Phillip to Jamie. “I want you to go upstairs, brush your teeth and get your pajamas on.”

“But Mom,” Jamie groaned. “It’s still early and we’re too pumped up from the game to sleep.”

“If you would let me finish.” Amanda let out a deep sigh. “I was going to say that once you’re all ready for bed, I want you to come back down. Lee and I want to talk to the two of you about something very important.”

“Okay.” Phillip sighed and slumped his shoulders. He caught up to his brother at the foot of the landing. “I bet they want to talk about you being kidnapped, wormbrain and setting ground rules now that we know what they really do for a living.”

Jamie glared at his brother as he headed for the stairs. “I bet that wasn't it, but I'm sure it will be now. Nice going dork breath.”

“That’s enough name calling, boys.” Amanda moved to the landing. “But Phillip's right that is one of the things we are going to discuss.” She heard Phillip mumble something about ‘see I told you so’ before disappearing into his room.

Dotty glanced over at her son-in-law and then towards her daughter. “Are you sure you want to do this tonight?”

Amanda turned around and nodded. “Yes, we’ve waited too long as it is. Besides, by tomorrow everyone at work is going to know and I don’t want Phillip and Jamie to be the last to know.” She looked over at her husband knowingly.

“I’ll go make some hot chocolate, then.” Dotty rose from her seat on the couch and headed into the kitchen.

“That sounds good, Mother, I’ll help you.” Amanda followed behind her mother.

Lee pushed off from the couch “If you ladies will excuse me, I need to get something from the other room.” Not waiting for a response, he headed towards his temporary bedroom.

Dotty took the kettle off of the stove and moved over to the sink. “It was nice having Carrie and Joe here. I think Phillip appreciated the extra support.” Turning the faucet on, she started filling the kettle. “He and Joe had a wonderful conversation about football. I overheard Phillip saying that he decided to play football because both his dad and Lee played it in high school.” She moved over and place the now full kettle back on the stove.

Amanda walked over to the cabinets and pulled down five mugs. “I thought he wanted to play because all his friends were. I’m sure Joe was touched.” Moving about the kitchen, she began gathering the ingredients to make the hot chocolate. “I hope Carrie won’t be mad at Joe for too long. I think I’ll invite her to lunch one day next week and clear the air.”

“That might not be a bad idea.” Dotty nodded and then moved over to the cabinet where the marshmallows were hidden. “Carrie did seem a little distant while she was here. I tried to talk to her, but she spent most of her time with her head buried in some big legal case she’s working on.”

“Yet one more mess I have to clean up.” Amanda mumbled to herself, then, recognizing the item now sitting on the counter, she looked at her mother quizzically. “How did you know that’s where the marshmallows were? I thought I did a good job of hiding them.”

Dotty chuckled. “A mother always knows.” The kettle screeched and she moved over and turned off the stove. “By the way, Sydney called about an hour ago. She said you asked her to call when they were home, so you wouldn’t worry. She asked me to thank you again for the travel Scrabble game you got her. Apparently it helped make the five-hour flight very enjoyable. She said she beat her dad, twice.”

Amanda smiled. “Thanks, I’ll sleep a little better knowing that she and Jack made it home safely.”

“I’m really going to miss Sydney. It was so nice having a girl around here.” Picking up the kettle, Dotty walked over to where her daughter had the mugs ready. “Maybe some day soon, I’ll have another little girl to dote on?” She smiled affectionately at her daughter briefly and then, turning her attention on the objects sitting on the counter, she began pouring the hot water into each of the mugs.

“Mother…” Shock and exasperation were evident in Amanda’s voice. Even though she and Lee had discussed the idea just the other night, it wasn’t something that they were remotely ready for, at least not yet. However, she had a feeling that this would not be the last time the topic would come up, especially since her mother couldn’t prompt them about getting married anymore.

“Speaking of family...” Lee came up and stood next to his wife. With his right hand, he gingerly lifted his wife’s left and then, with his left hand, already sporting his wedding ring, he slipped her wedding set onto her ring finger. “These have been in the box way too long.”

Amanda looked down at her hand and then up at her husband, love shining in her eyes. “When? How?”

“I’ve had them here all week.” Lee kept his gaze on his wife. “I locked them in the strong box under the bed in the living room.”

“Oh,” Dotty tried to get more out but found she was too choked up to speak. Wiping a few tears from her eyes, she walked over to her son-in-law and pulled him into a hug. “That was very romantic, Lee. It’s about time those rings are where they should be.”

Lee, stunned, returned the hug. “They should never have left her finger in the first place. We were wrong…and now we’re making things right.”

Dotty nodded and placed a quick kiss on her son-in-law’s cheek. She then let go of Lee and turned towards her daughter. “I may not have forgiven you for not inviting me to the wedding, but I’m glad you listened to my advice and held on to a good thing when you saw it.” She pointed towards Lee before pulling Amanda into a tight embrace.

Amanda wrapped her arms around her mother. “I am, too.”

“Oh, no. Grandma’s crying and she’s hugging mom.” Phillip looked first at the pair of women and then turned towards his brother, who had just entered the kitchen behind him.

“This can’t be good.” Jamie gave his brother a worried glance.

Dotty stepped away from her daughter and, wiping her eyes, let out a little laugh. “Boys nothing bad has happened, I promise. These are happy tears.”

Jamie rolled his eyes and looked at his brother. “Girls sure are mushy.”

“Yeah, I don’t think I’ll ever understand the opposite sex.” Phillip nodded and glanced over at Lee. “Are you guys going to share this good news with us?”

“Why don’t we head into the den and then we’ll fill you in, okay?” Lee picked up two cups of hot chocolate and followed his mother-in-law and his two stepsons into the other room. He watched as Dotty took a seat in the armchair and Phillip and Jamie sat down on the couch. Stepping around the sofa, he approached the two boys and handed them each a mug.

As Jamie took the offered drink, he noticed the gold band on the older man’s finger. “Lee, is that a wedding ring on your finger?”

Amanda had picked up the remaining two mugs and was heading into the den just as Jamie asked his question. Glancing at her husband, she caught the pleading look in his eye. Walking around the couch, she sat down on the coffee table, facing her sons. “That’s actually what we wanted to talk to you about.” She looked up at her husband and patted the table next to her with her left hand, inviting him to sit. When he had complied, she handed him one of the steaming mugs of hot chocolate.

Phillip took a sip of his hot chocolate as he looked from his mother to Lee, and then back to his mother, his gaze falling to her left hand. “Mom, I thought you stopped wearing your wedding ring years ago?” Suddenly he felt a sharp jab in his side. “Ow!” He turned and glared at his brother as he rubbed his side. “What did you do that for?”

Jamie tilted his head in the direction of Lee's hand and leaning closer to his brother, whispered. “I don't think that's mom's wedding ring from when she married dad.”

Phillip scrunched his eyebrows, confused. “It's not?” Then, as what his younger brother was hinting at finally sunk in, his eyes grew wide. “Oh, it's not. That means that you two are married...to each other.”

Amanda nodded slowly. “Yes, Lee and I are married to each other. We hadn’t planned on telling you quite like this, though, Jamie’s observation skills kind of beat us to the punch.”

“When did you two find time to get married?” Phillip’s expression was one of confusion. “I mean was it before or after wormbrain here got kidnapped.”

“Phillip, please stop calling your brother names.” Amanda sighed and shook her head slightly. “To answer your question, it was before Sydney arrived, way before, actually.”

Lee placed his mug on the table next to him and took Amanda’s hand in his. “Your mom and I eloped back in February.”

“February?” Jamie started mentally counting the months backwards in his head. “That was eight months ago.”

Phillip looked over at his brother and then towards his parents. “You guys have been married for eight months and never told us? Why the big secret?”

Jamie thought about everything that he’d been through in the last two days and all that he had learned about his mom and Lee’s jobs. Leaning forward slightly, he looked at his mom. “Did you keep your marriage a secret because of your jobs?”

“Wait a minute,” Phillip jumped in before either his mom or stepdad could answer his brother, “you were on vacation in February, and that’s when…that’s when you got shot.” He watched his mom closely. “Were you really on vacation, or were you there for work? And were you married before you went to California?”

“This family sure knows how to ask questions.” Lee looked at his eldest stepson with an expression of amusement. “Your mother and I weren’t in California for work. What happened to your mother was just what we told you after it happened. Your mom and I were in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Amanda squeezed her husband’s hand encouragingly. “Lee’s telling you the truth. We were supposed to be on our honeymoon and, just like we told you back in February, we were meeting up with an old friend of Lee’s when we accidentally got caught in a cross-fire.”

Phillip exchanged a glance with his brother. “Wow, that doesn’t sound like a fun way to spend your honeymoon.”

“It wasn’t.” Lee closed his eyes and tried to keep the memories at bay.

Dotty leaned forward, deciding to break the melancholy mood. “I believe Jamie still has a question that needs to be answered. Something about why you kept your marriage a secret.”

Lee looked over at his mother-in-law and gave her a small smile of thanks. “You’re right.” He then turned back towards his stepsons. “Keeping our marriage a secret was largely because of our jobs. But, to be honest, it wasn’t the only reason.” He paused and glanced over at his wife.

Amanda picked up on his need for her to take over. “You see, you boys didn’t know Lee very well, in fact you had really only just met him.”

“We didn’t feel it was right for me to just pop into your life and announce that I was going to be your stepfather.” Lee looked from Phillip to Jamie. “Your mom and I felt it would be a good idea for us to get to really know each other first.”

“Why didn’t you and mom just have a really long engagement?” Phillip didn’t think he’d ever understand adults. “That would have given you time to get to know us.” He looked at his stepfather.

Lee sighed and smiled self-consciously. “Because I was…and still am…very much in love with your mother. I wanted to prove to her, and maybe even to myself, that I was really ready to make a lifelong commitment. I didn’t want to wait…”

Amanda glanced over at her husband and grinned. “We both couldn’t wait. It’s really hard to explain. We were so much in love. We wanted to prove to each other just how much we loved each other.”

Taking a sip of his hot chocolate, Jamie peered at his stepfather over the rim of the mug. His brow creased in thought as he lowered his mug and looked towards his mom. “Even though you eloped, were you planning on telling us the truth, eventually? Or are you telling us because we found out about your jobs and, since that secret is out, you felt it was time to tell us everything?”

“Sweetheart, we’ve always planned on telling you.” Amanda leaned forward and placed her hand gently on her youngest son's knee. “It was just a question of when.” She noticed the slightly skeptical look on Jamie’s face, and sighed. “I know you think that because we eloped that we were always planning on keeping it a secret, but that’s not true. I admit that we kept everything a secret, mostly because we wanted to keep you and your brother safe, at least until you were old enough to really understand what the potential dangers our jobs could mean and be more capable of taking care of yourselves.” Sitting up straight again, she moved a little closer to her husband and gazed over at Phillip. “We had actually started discussing the idea of telling you not too long before Sydney came to stay with us. Of course certain circumstances kind of forced our hand a little.” She looked back over at her youngest son. “You’ve more than shown us that you are capable of handling yourself in a less than ideal situation. We’re very proud of you, Jamie, not only for trying to protect Sydney, but for coming up with such a clever plan to send out that signal, although I hope and pray that you never have to go through that again.”

Jamie smiled a little self-consciously. “I hope I don’t have to, either. Although, I don’t know if I would have been as brave if Sydney hadn’t been with me.” Not wanting to think about the whole ordeal any longer, he looked over at his stepfather. “You were really going to tell us about your jobs and everything, not just because, as mom put it, certain circumstances made you?”

“We planned on telling you because we wanted to.” Lee smiled tenderly at his youngest stepson. “I was beginning to realize just how much I hated going home to an empty apartment after spending the day or evening with you boys,” he looked over at his mother-in-law, “and your grandmother, too, of course.” He then returned his gaze to Jamie. “Living here for the last week has made me realize just what I was missing, living across town, by myself, and just how much I love being a part of this family” He smiled lovingly at his two stepsons. “I want to be a part of this family on a full-time basis…that is if you’ll have me.” He glanced at each of the boys in turn, patiently awaiting their response.

Phillip leaned forward and smiled. “Lee, I told you the other day that we already think you’d make a great stepdad. Who knew you already were.”

“So you boys are okay with this?” Amanda glanced at her youngest son, skeptically.

Jamie shrugged. “I guess so.” He looked over at Phillip and then back towards his parents. “We just wish you would have waited to get married. We would have liked to have been there…we love you Lee and…well, we would have liked to have been present to welcome you into the family.”

Lee swallowed the lump forming in his throat. Glancing over at his wife, he saw the tears streaming down her face. “I don’t know what to say.”

“There’s nothing to say, Lee.” Phillip smiled and then looked over at his grandmother. “Grandma, did you know that they were married?”

Dotty wiped the tears from her own eyes. “Yes, but I only found out on Sunday.”

Phillip leaned forward and placed his now empty cup on the coffee table next to his mother. “So, was this the other thing that you wanted to talk to us about?” He then sat back against the cushions of the couch.

Amanda nodded. “Yes, it was. Which reminds me, we still need to talk about setting some new ground rules, now that you know what we do for a living. And I think we need to refresh your memory of some of the more basic rules that you learned long ago, like not talking to strangers.” She looked pointedly at her youngest son, her eyebrows raised slightly.

“Nice going dufus.” Jamie sunk back against the couch and glared at his older brother. “They probably would have forgotten about the rest, in light of the good news, but no, you had to go and open your big fat mouth.” He muttered under his breath.

“James King, that’ll be enough name calling.” Amanda looked at her son sternly. “Now, although I know you know better than to talk to strangers, and you’ve already explained to us what happened back at the school on Monday, it’s extremely important that you report anyone suspicious to us immediately.” She looked over at her oldest son. “That goes for you, too, Phillip.”

Lee leaned forward and looked first at Jamie, than at Phillip. “We’re not trying to scare you, or make you paranoid, but we want you to realize that there are certain dangers you have to look out for, especially once word leaks out that your mom and I are married.”

“We’re going to sign you boys and your grandmother up for a basic Agency course that’s given to family members.” Amanda let her gaze fall on her oldest son. “It’ll give a basic background of the potential dangers all agents face, and teach you what to look out for, without making you suspicious of every little thing. The class also teaches you the importance of keeping secrets, and the dangers of guns.”

“That’s another thing that we should discuss, too. Your mother and I both have to carry a gun when we’re working, but at home, all guns will be locked away.” Lee looked briefly at his wife, who nodded that he could continue. “Although the Agency class will go into greater detail, it’s important that you know now, that guns are not toys. We use them as a means to protect ourselves and our fellow agents when we’re out in the field.”

Amanda set her mug down on the coffee table and then placed a hand on each of her boys’ knees. “So, that means you boys are never, ever allowed to touch them, or show them off to friends. Is that clear?”

“I think we can handle that.” Phillip looked over at his brother, who nodded in agreement. “Will this class also teach us any cool self-defense moves?”

“Actually, the class doesn’t teach anything like that.” Noticing the crest-fallen face of his oldest stepson, Lee smiled at Phillip. “However, I was planning on teaching both of you boys some basic moves. Nothing too fancy, but enough to allow you to defend yourselves should the need arise. We’ll also talk about the proper time and place to use these moves. I don’t want to find out that you got into a fight and drop-kicked one of your classmates, is that understood?” Both boys nodded. “Good.”

Dotty cleared her throat. “Lee, I don’t doubt that you’re a skilled fighter, but are you certified to teach them?”

“Yes, Mother, he is.” Amanda replied as she looked over at her mother. “Lee’s been an instructor at one of the Agency’s training camps, numerous times. So, not only is he qualified to teach the boys, he’s the best choice. The Agency doesn’t offer self-defense courses for civilians. Trust me, I know. You have to at least be an agent-in-training to sign up for them.”

Lee smiled at his mother-in-law. “I’d be happy to teach you, too, Dotty.”

“Let me see how things go with Phillip and Jamie before I commit to anything.” Dotty smiled at her son-in-law. “But thank you for the offer, Lee.” Glancing at her watch, she looked over at her daughter. “Have you two covered everything you wanted to? I only ask because it is getting late, and some of us have school tomorrow.” She gazed at her two grandsons.

“I think we’ve covered enough for tonight.” Amanda looked over at her husband, who nodded. “All right, fellas. Time for bed.”

“Okay, Mom.” Phillip rose from the couch, and tried to stifle a yawn. “I’ll see you in the morning. Goodnight.”

Jamie stood up and followed his brother towards the foyer. He stopped at the foot of the landing, and turned to face the adults. “You know, it’s going to be weird going to my classes without Sydney along. I really got used to having her around.”

“We all did, sweetheart.” Amanda watched her son climb onto the landing. “Oh, Jamie,” her son turned around and looked at her with a curious expression on his face, “I want you to give some serious thought as to what you think your punishment should be.”

“Punishment for what? Is it because I talked to Mr. Romanovich and followed him to that classroom? Wasn’t being kidnapped enough of a punishment?” Jamie gave his mother his best puppy dog pout.

Amanda shook her head. “Nice try, Einstein, but no amount of clever excuses is going to work, or puppy dog faces for that matter.” She looked at him sternly. “We’re meeting with Principal Dennis tomorrow to discuss the fact that you snuck out of class and deceived your teacher.”

“Oh,” Jamie sighed, and his shoulders slumped. “I guess I kind of forgot about that. I promise to give some thought to what my punishment should be.” Turning, he stepped up onto the landing. “I’ll let you know what I come up with, in the morning. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” All three adults replied in unison.

Dotty glanced over at the television, and was about to suggest they turn on the news, when she remembered something she had wanted to discuss with her daughter. Smiling, she looked over at Amanda. “You know, I was watching the Arlene Frances Show this morning,” she ignored the unhappy look that passed between her daughter and son-in-law, “and I got to thinking about that time she had that author on, the one who wrote that book, I think it was called ‘The Suburban Spy’ and he was talking about a mother with two boys from Arlington who jeopardized Operation something or other. That was you wasn’t it?” She looked directly at her daughter. When Amanda nodded, she shook her head in disappointment. “That’s what I thought. Do you remember how I thought it was Gwen Dorset?” She watched her daughter reluctantly nod again. “Well since you never bothered to correct me, I called and accused Gwen. She thought the whole idea that she could be a spy was preposterous. Amanda, she was so mad at me at me, that she didn’t talk to me for a whole month.”

Amanda cringed slightly at the memory of that whole incident. She didn’t want to think about where she might be right now had events turned out differently. The thought that she might not be married to Lee was just too horrible a thought to even fathom. Glancing over at her husband, she could tell by the distant look in his eyes, that he was having similar thoughts. “I’m sorry, Mother, but at the time, I couldn’t tell you that it was me who had almost blown Operation Sandstorm.” She looked guiltily at her mother. “I promise that in the future, I won’t let you falsely accuse any of our neighbors, okay?”

Dotty rose from her seat and narrowed her eyes at her daughter. “I’m going to hold you to that.” Bending down, she picked up Phillip’s discarded mug and started heading towards the kitchen. “By the way,” she turned and looked at her daughter. “Whatever happened to that book, anyway? Did it ever get published? Because if it did, I’ve never been able to find it and I still look for it every time I’m in a bookstore.”

Lee shook his head, not just in response to his mother-in-law, but also to ward off the dark thoughts that had entered his mind of how lonely his life would be right now, if the manuscript hadn’t been burned in that warehouse fire and had actually been published. “No, thankfully it was never published. It would have put a lot of people’s lives in jeopardy, including Amanda’s.” He looked at his mother-in-law. “In fact, if that book had been published, we would have had to put Amanda, you and the boys into the witness protection program.”

“Oh. I never gave any thought to what would happen to the people mentioned in the book. Now I’m sorry I asked.” Dotty turned and continued into the kitchen. Placing the mug into the sink, she turned and headed towards the foyer. “I think I’m going to go bury my head in a good romance novel, and try and forget all about what might have happened. Goodnight, you two.” Stepping up onto the landing, she paused again and looked at her daughter. “It’s nice to know that you’ll finally be able to snuggle up to something other than that large panda bear in your bedroom on cold nights.”

“Mother?” Amanda eyed her mother suspiciously.

“I wonder…did you give her that panda, Lee?” Dotty looked over at her son-in-law. “I know she’s had it for almost four years, I always thought it was from Dean, but when Amanda didn’t get rid of it after she broke up with him…” She let the rest of her thought go unfinished as she smiled cunningly at the pair before disappearing up the stairs.

As soon as his mother-in-law was out of sight, Lee turned and smiled at his wife. “You cuddle up with the panda?”

“Sometimes.” Amanda shrugged sheepishly. “Don’t start getting a big head about it though, I only started doing that after we started dating. It filled the empty void on cold nights when I couldn’t get cozy with you.” Ignoring the amused expression on her husband’s face, she gathered the remaining mugs and headed towards the kitchen.

“I think it’s sweet that you miss me so much, that you pretend that overstuffed panda bear that I got for Alexei all those years ago, is me.” Lee followed his wife into the kitchen.

Amanda shrugged. “Well I always said you could buy my affections with that bear.” Opening the dishwasher, she began rinsing out the mugs. “Who would have guessed back then, that we’d end up married?”

“Nobody, that’s for sure.” Lee took one of the rinsed mugs out of her hand, and placed it in the top rack. Reaching out to take another mug from his wife, he quickly changed course and covered his mouth to hide a yawn. “Wow, I didn’t realize how exhausted I was.”

Amanda placed the last mug into the dishwasher and closed the door before wiping her hands on a dishtowel. “Well it has been an exhausting week.” She then wrapped her hands around her husband. “But I’m glad everything’s out in the open and everyone’s home safe and sound.”

Lee nodded and smiled at his wife. “Me, too.” Lowering his mouth to meet hers, he placed a feather light kiss on his wife’s lips. “I guess we should turn in. We have to be in the office early tomorrow.”

“Back to business as usual.” Amanda turned her head to the side to hide her own yawn.

Lee leaned down and placed another kiss on Amanda’s lips. Before the kiss could get too passionate, he pulled back. “Well, I guess this is goodnight, I love you.” Reluctantly he let go of his wife, and began heading towards his bed in the living room.

Amanda took a few quick steps and placed a hand on his arm, stopping him from heading any further into the den. When he turned to look at her, she gazed at him with an expression of warmhearted amusement. “Lee, where are you going?”

Lee looked at her, slightly confused. “I thought I’d made that clear, I’m going to bed, why?”

Amanda shook her head. “No, I meant why are you heading for the living room?”

“Well that's where I'm supposed to be sleeping, isn't it?” Lee shrugged. “I figured that sleeping upstairs Monday night was because, under the circumstances, neither one of us wanted to sleep alone.”

Amanda chuckled softly. “You must really be tired. Weren’t you paying attention to the conversation we just had with our sons?”

Just then Jamie poked his head into the room. “Lee, Phillip and I were wondering, do you want help this weekend?”

“This weekend?” Lee looked at his youngest stepson with a slightly perplexed expression.

Jamie nodded. “Yeah, we were wondering if you wanted help packing up your apartment… you are planning on moving in here, aren’t you?”

Lee grinned boyishly. “I certainly am…but aren’t you going to be with your dad this weekend?”

“Oh yeah. Well, we’ll start helping you unpack Monday, after school then. See you in the morning, Mom, Lee.” Jamie smiled and then turned and headed back upstairs.

Amanda gazed at her husband with a smile. “See, I told you so. Now, shall we head upstairs to our bedroom?”

“Our bedroom. That has such a wonderful sound to it.” Lee’s grin grew into a wide smile.

Amanda smiled lovingly at her husband. “Yes it does, and that’s how it’s going to be for the rest of our lives.” She moved over to the landing and held out her hand, and as her husband linked his fingers with hers, she led him up the stairs towards their bedroom, where he belonged.