- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Babylon 5 and its characters belong to JMS and Warner Brothers. Thomas Connor wrote “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks to: Kris and Rita for all your help with how children speak and act.
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

David Sheridan couldn’t sleep. He tossed and turned in his bed. Tomorrow, his grandparents were arriving from Earth to help celebrate the Christmas holidays. When they called, on December 15, to wish him happy birthday, they told mom and dad they wanted to enjoy a traditional Christmas on Minbar. Problem was, Minbari didn’t have Christmas. They had lots of religious ceremonies, but nothing like Christmas. At least he didn’t think so. He remembered Daddy put up a little tree last year, and David got presents. But he had been a baby then. Now he was five years old--a big boy. He smiled, in the dark, and thought back over the last few days.

During the time between his birthday and the expected arrival of Grammy and Grandpa, Mommy ran all over, putting things up and going shopping. She didn’t even read him his favorite book when he asked her to. That made him sad, and he started to cry. Mommy stopped what she was doing and hugged him. Then they sat down, and she read him the story--the whole book! He had to remember to cry again the next time he wanted something. If it worked once, it might again. Maybe it would even work with Daddy!

Mommy found a tree that most looked like the pictures of a Christmas tree. When Mommy left the room, Daddy told him the tree smelled funny, but not to tell her. It now stood in the common room, covered in twinkling lights and glass balls Daddy called ornaments. Mommy put silvery things--Daddy called them tinsel--on so many things that he said they’d better move around a lot, or else she’d put tinsel on them too!

The popcorn strings they made the other night were his favorite. Mommy told him Uncle Michael introduced her to popcorn a long time ago on Babylon 5. Most of the popcorn ended up in David’s belly though, instead of on his string. Every time he was near the tree, and no one was around, he snuck a piece of popcorn off the string. Except, when he did it this afternoon, it hadn’t tasted good. He didn’t think he’d be sneaking any more. Maybe Mommy would make him some more tomorrow, if he asked nicely.

Earlier that afternoon, while Mommy baked cookies, he watched his favorite vid--‘Duck Dodgers Meets Santa Claus.’ She had flour everywhere, even in her hair. Once, when he looked up, all he could see was a cloud of white stuff. Mommy said, since Grammy had made Flarn on her last visit, she would make these. Mommy didn’t know he’d seen her put extra salt on the Flarn, when Grammy wasn’t looking, before she brought it to the table. The cookies were good, even if she did have to make them three times.

He rolled onto his stomach and tried to figure out this whole Christmas and Santa thing. All the vids and pictures showed a jolly man, with a white beard and a red suit, who brought presents to good little boys and girls. David would like more presents, even though he had just gotten some for his birthday. A boy could always use more toys.

All the stories were either about Santa Claus, or the birth of a God. He liked the story about Mary, Joseph, and the three wise men. But Santa wasn’t in them. David didn’t get it. Several nights ago, he got up the courage to ask Daddy all the questions that were bothering him.

Daddy told him Santa first appeared on Earth a long, long time ago. He said he wasn’t sure how the two became com-com---put together, but it was always a wonderful holiday for kids and adults. Daddy said to look it up in the Earth records Mommy had. Well, if he’d wanted to do that, he wouldn’t have asked Daddy in the first place. How could he look up something he knew nothing about? Parents.

David punched his pillow and rolled onto his back, listening carefully for any sounds in the compound. It seemed like forever since he’d pretended to be asleep when his parents came to check on him. He knew once they did, they’d go off to their bedroom and lock the door. When he asked Mommy why they did that, she said something about Daddy sleepwalking and not wanting him to get hurt. He ran to Daddy’s office to ask him what it felt like to sleepwalk. But Daddy started coughing a lot and went to get a drink of water. He never did answer David’s question. He had to remember to ask again. Maybe he’d ask Grandpa when they went starfishing. Yeah. Grandpa would tell him why Daddy walked in his sleep.

He couldn’t stay in bed any longer. Not if he was going to catch Santa putting presents under the tree. He’d picked the perfect spot, just that afternoon, while Mommy was baking. For two days, he’d looked for a place to hide. Then, today, an ornament fell off one of the branches, and he crawled underneath the tree to pick it up. While he was under there, Mommy entered the room, calling his name. He was as quiet as he could be. David almost laughed, but he clapped his hand over his mouth. Peeking between the branches, he could see Mommy looking around the room. When she didn’t see him, he knew he found the perfect spot to spy on Santa. He kicked off the sheet and put on his slippers.

After opening his door, he peeked outside and looked up and down the hall. Good. No house staff around. The door to his parent’s bedroom, at the end of the corridor, was closed. He shut his door and stayed in the shadows close to the wall, being very quiet, tiptoeing all the way. The lights were on dim. David wished he could turn the lights up. It was a little spooky with no one around. But he didn’t want to give himself away.

The Christmas tree was the only thing lit when he entered the common room. The lights twinkled on and off. He knelt down, looking to see if the presents were there yet. Nothing. Good. He wasn’t too late. The sound of footsteps made him scurry to his hiding spot.

Whoever it was didn’t enter the room. David sat, with his back against the wall, for what seemed like forever. His eyes started getting heavy. He wished Santa would come soon. Before long, he was fast asleep.

The sound of soft music woke him. Christmas carols again. Yuck. Daddy played them all week long; David wanted to hear different music. Then his favorite started to play, and he sang the words in his head. ‘Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.’ Maybe Santa played music when he delivered presents. With all the bravery he could muster, he pushed back the branches to see if Santa was there. One of the pointy things pricked his finger. Ouch! He sucked on his sore finger.

A flash of red caught his eye as it passed in front of the tree. Was it Santa? David couldn’t tell. The figure moved further away. It wore a red suit, hat, and black boots. Just like the vids and pictures he had seen. It had to be him. Silently, he pleaded for the man to turn around, so he could see his face. Did he have a white beard?

The figure kept walking away from him and the tree. David looked down and saw all the presents that surrounded him. Big boxes and little ones. All decorated with pretty paper and bows.

When he looked through the branches again, he saw Mommy enter the room. Santa--he thought it was Santa, but really wasn’t sure--stopped and talked to her. Why was he talking to Mommy? David wished the music would stop, so he could hear what they were saying, but it kept on playing.

Then Mommy and the man turned towards the tree. David scooted back as far as he could go. His hand never left the tree branch, and he saw them both in the glow of the lights. It was Santa Claus! With a bushy white beard. Just like he’d seen in the vids and pictures. Mommy tugged on the beard, and they both laughed. David couldn’t believe his eyes--Mommy leaned up and kissed Santa right on the lips! Then they turned and left the room.

As careful as he could, David moved the presents aside and crawled out from his hiding place. He made sure he put them back in exactly the same place and peeked into the corridor, to make sure no one was around. After what he’d just seen, he didn’t want to get caught. Why hadn’t Mommy told him she knew Santa Claus? She made it sound like she’d never heard of him before. But she had to know him. Mommy didn’t kiss just anyone. Daddy was the only man David ever saw her kiss.

He tiptoed back to his room and crawled into bed. Tomorrow morning, he would ask Mommy why she was kissing Santa Claus.

I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night
She didn’t see me creep
Down the stairs to have a peep;
She thought that I was tucked up
In my bedroom fast asleep

Then, I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If Daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night



The End