- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs. King is copyrighted to Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Production Company. I have borrowed the characters without the permission of WB & Shoot the Moon. This story
is for entertainment purposes ONLY, and I do not wish to use this story to profit off of the borrowed characters. This story, however, is copyrighted to the mentioned author.

Author's note: This was written for a challenge issued on an SMK site; the prompt line was "Where did you learn to do that?" Many thanks to Jan G for beta'ing this for me.
Bathroom Break

Jamie began jumping in place. "I can't believe neither one of us remembered to grab our house keys. Maybe Buck's home and we can head over there."

"Not my fault you drank two cans of cola before we left school." Phillip scanned the backyard until his gaze spied just the right item he needed. "Don't fret little brother, I think I have the answer to our problem." He walked over to where his bike lay and picked up one of the pieces of a broken spoke. He then made his way back over to the door.

Ignoring his brother's confused look, Phillip knelt down at the lock and inserted the spoke. He twisted and turned it just like he'd practiced and then, when he heard the click, grinned with satisfaction. Pulling his lock-picking device out of the keyhole, he turned the doorknob. "There you go wormbrain." He gloated as he pushed the door open, and stepped aside for Jamie.

Jamie was too stunned to even care about the name calling. "Where did you learn to do that?"

Phillip slipped the spoke into his back pocket as he followed his brother into the house. "From Lee."

"Lee taught you how to pick a lock?" Jamie's look of astonishment grew more pronounced. "Why would he do that, and where did he learn it?"

Phillip shrugged. "I don't know where he learned it, and don't get your knickers in a bunch. He didn't exactly teach me. I've just watched him do it a few times. He seems to misplace or forget the key to the house a lot. He thinks he's being slick about it; he makes it appear that he's pulling out his keys, but one time I realized I'd never heard the jingle the keys make, so I watched him the next time we came home, and he was using a really thin piece of metal."

"So if he didn't teach you, how'd you do that so quickly?" Jamie nodded towards the door.

"Lee made it look so easy. I mean he had the door unlocked so fast, you'd think he was actually using a key. So I started practicing with one of mom's long sewing needles, and finally got really good at it." Phillip smiled smugly.

"Well, I for one am glad you learned how." Jamie quickly ran out of the room and up the stairs. "But," he called down from the top of the stairs, "you'd better hope mom never finds out you can do
that."

"I don't plan on telling her," Phillip commented to the empty room, "you never know when it might come in really handy." He pulled the spoke from his back pocket. "I just wish I could ask Lee where he
learned it. Maybe he's got some other tricks he can teach me." Smiling, he tossed the piece of metal into the air and caught it as he made his way towards the stairs.

End