- Text Size +
Timeframe: Christmas 2008

Disclaimer: The usual. The characters don't belong to me, blah,
blah, blah. You know the rest.

Notes: I know that Lee and Amanda are now in their late 50's or
60's And I know that they wouldn't have a child still in school at
that age. So, for this story to take place I'm gonna say that they
are still in their late 30's, early 40's at this time. I'm also
saying for this story that Phillip and Jamie are late teen early
20's. Also this story is a tribute to Beverly Garland. We will
never forget her in our hearts. May she rest in peace.

SMK SMK SMK SMK SMK SMK SMK SMK SMK

Amanda stood at the kitchen counter looking through a recipe book.
She had told her daughter, Jennifer that she would bake Christmas
COOKIES for her class at school.

Jennifer stood next to her mother to help her. Looking up at her
mother she said. "Mommy, will grandma be able to come home for
Christmas?"

Amanda's eyes glistened with tears as she looked down at her
daughter. "I don't think so sweet heart, she's very sick."

"Maybe Santa's ELVES can make her better. It won't be the same if
grandma's not here for Christmas."

Amanda knew Jennifer didn't understand that Dotty was not going to
get any better. She avoided looking at her daughter if she asked
anymore questions about her grandmother. She looked at the SNOW
through the kitchen window as it was rapidly coming down.

She wished her husband and sons hurried home. They were picking out
a Christmas tree, a tradition Lee had with the boys since he became
a permanent member of the family.

Amanda was still looking out the window when the french doors
leading to the patio opened.

Lee and Phillip carried the tree through the doors, being careful
not to get poked with pine NEEDLES.

Jennifer ran to the living room with excitement. "Daddy, you're
back!"

As Jamie held the door opened he said. "Stay back squirt, it's cold
outside. We wouldn't want you to get sick. Remember, you're
supposed to go see Santa next week."

"Okay." Jennifer went back into the kitchen to help Amanda.

Amanda stepped away from the window and was now heading toward the
refrigerator to grab the butter. Taking a bowl out of the cupboard,
she also grabbed the sugar.

After Lee had the tree in the stand, he went to the kitchen to see
what Amanda and Jennifer were doing.

Lee stood behind Amanda, wrapping his arms around her, careful not
to touch her with his cold hands, which he knew was very
tempting. "Have you heard any news on how your mother is doing?"

Amanda started mixing the sugar and butter together. "Not since
this morning when we woke up. I thought I would call once I put the
COOKIES in the oven."

Lee headed back to the living room where Phillip and Jamie were
standing by the fireplace to warm up. "You guys wanna help me get
all the Christmas decorations out of the attic?"

At the same time Phillip and Jamie said. "Sure."

After Lee and the boys got all the boxes from the attic, they
stacked them in the living room by the tree.

Lee opened the first box, it was the lights for the tree. The
second box contained a MISTLETOE. Lee hung it above the steps
leading into the kitchen. He thought mischievously that he would
move it later to the bedroom above the bed.

Jamie pulled an ORNAMENT out of the box. "I remember grandma giving
this to me when I was little."

Phillip looked toward the kitchen to his mother and said. I just
wish grandma wasn't in the hospital. Maybe she'll be well enough to
come home and spend Christmas with us."

Lee pursed his lips, looking at his wife and said. "Yeah, we all
do. But as sick as your granmother has been, I doubt she will be
with us much longer."

Jamie opened up a huge box that contained a BAH HUMBUG light up sign
for the front yard. He looked at the sign and said. "I don't
remember seeing this before."

Phillip laughed. "I remember it. Mom brought it home and put it in
the yard with all the other decorations. Grandma thought it was
strange cause mom was never the scrooge kind."

Lee laughed and said. "It's mine, your mother had given it to me.
I was never into Christmas. When I met your mother she thought I
was acting like a scrooge. I lived in an apartment and had no place
to store it. So your mother kept it here with all the other
decorations." They continued digging into boxes getting things out.

After Amanda placed the COOKIES on the cookie sheet, she put them in
the oven to bake.

Jennifer washed her hands and said. "Can I go outside and play in
the SNOW?"

Amanda put the mixing bowl in the sink along with all the other
dirty dishes. She wiped her hands on a towel, turned towrd her
daughter and said. "Yes, you can. Remember to zip your coat and
put a hat on. You should also wrap a scarf around your neck and put
it over your nose to keep the wind out of your face."

Jennifer went over to Lee and said. "Daddy, can you get my SLEIGH
out of the garage so I can RIDE down the little hill in the
backyard?"

Lee looked at his daughter and said. "Sure."

He put his coat back on, heading out the back door to the garage.
Jennifer followed him as soon as she was bundled up.

Phillip and Jamie went into the kitchen and found a plate of
CHOCOLATE fudge Amanda had made.

Lee came in the back door as the phone rang. He stomped his SNOW
covered boots on the mat as he took his coat off.

Amanda picked up the phone and said. "Hello......"

A minute later, Lee noticed a tear running down her cheek. He
motioned for the boys to follow him to where Amanda was standing in
the kitchen.

"Thank you for all you have done, Merry Christmas."

Amanda had hung up the phone and found Lee and the boys looking at
her.

"She's gone, my mother, your gradmother is gone."

Lee took her in his arms as she started sobbing.

Phillip and Jamie stood behind her, wrapping their arms around her
from behind.

This would be a Christmas they would never forget

THE END
(In memory of Beverly Garland, October 17th, 1926 – December 5th, 2008)