- Text Size +
Just Another Christmas

4247 Maplewood Drive

Saturday, December 23, 2000

6:20 PM

"Damn it!" Lee swore as the wrench he was using to tighten the bolts
slipped, smacking him across his already bruised knuckles. "I swear,
Amanda— this wrench has it in for me."

"Maybe because you're using the wrong one? Here—this should work a
little better." Amanda handed him another wrench.

"Thanks," Lee carefully tightened the bolts as far as they would go.
"You know, when Jenna showed me a picture of this in the catalog I
thought it looked like it would be pretty easy to put together, but this—"

"Not so simple?" Amanda picked up the paper which held the basic
assembly directions, looking at it as she spoke.

"Not so simple," Lee repeated. "I finally got the top part connected
but I can't keep the thing upright to get the wheels on. I want her to
be able to RIDE this thing on Christmas Day."

"Lee, the best way to keep it upright is to keep the bottom part of
the metal frame on."

"What?" Lee said. "How do you know—"

"It's right here at the bottom of the page." Amanda said. "See? If
the scooter is a complex model that comes packaged in a metal frame—"

Lee snatched the paper from her hands and looked at it. "Typical," he
said. "They put it at the bottom where you won't see it—that way they
can make it as difficult as possible. It's a plot."

"Sweetheart, I'm sure that's not the way they think."

"Isn't it?" Lee ran both hands through his hair. "I just hope I can
get this together by Christmas Eve."

"We will," Amanda told him. "But in the meantime you should get
ready—this party starts at 7:00 PM, remember?"

"I haven't forgotten." Lee stood up. For a moment he was at a loss
for words as he stared at his wife. The black dress she wore
accentuated her slim figure, and the simple diamond pendant at the
throat added just the right touch. Her dark hair was pulled up,
tendrils of curls escaping and falling to her shoulders.

"Amanda you look—" Lee's voice trailed off— at a complete loss for
words. Amanda smiled and Lee wrapped his arms around her, pulling her
close.

"Maybe we'll meet our contact early," he told her. "Hmm? And then we
can get back here and start enjoying our Christmas early."

Amanda ran one hand lightly up and down his arm. "Sounds like a plan
to me, Stetson," she said. "But we need to get going soon or else
we'll be late."

"We have plenty of time," Lee bent his head down, his lips meeting her
own.

A tap on the bedroom door startled them and Lee stepped backwards,
upsetting the scooter, which fell on his foot. Lee put his hand over
his mouth, muffling his cry of pain.

"Mom? Dad?" Jenna's voice. "Grandma told me to tell you that she has
Dad's dress shirt ironed and ready."

"Thank you, sweetheart," Amanda called out as Lee hopped over to the
bed and sat down, massaging his foot. "We'll be right down."

"Is everything okay?" Jenna asked. "I thought I heard something fall."

Lee finally managed to speak. "Everything's fine, munchkin. Really. Go
tell Grandma that I'll be right down."

Jenna's voice sounded doubtful. "All right. Oh, and I'm making sugar
COOKIES in case you want one later."

"That would be great, sweetheart," Amanda said.

Lee listened for Jenna's footsteps going down the hall and down the
stairs before he spoke, pointing at the scooter. "I'd swear that
machine's got it in for me."

"Listen," Amanda said. "When we get back here we'll finish assembling
it together—it'll be fine. Just picture Jenna's face when she goes to
UNWRAP it Christmas morning."

"She'll love it." Lee's hand brushed the side of Amanda's neck. "And
then after we finish that tonight do I get to unwrap my present?"

"Definitely, big fella."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

D.C. Community Center

6:58 PM

"Mr. and Mrs. Stetson, welcome," said the woman at the table near the
door. She wrote each of their names on tags which were shaped like a
CANDY CANE and festooned with plastic MISTLETOE, handing one to each
of them.

"The children colored these themselves," the woman explained. "It's
something we let them do every year—and if you look at the tree in
corner of the hall you will see that they each made a special ORNAMENT
as well."

"They're beautiful, thank you," Amanda removed her coat and pinned the
nametag to her dress, helping Lee to fasten his to his jacket lapel.

"Would you like to join the raffle?" the woman asked them. "It's only
two dollars apiece and all the money goes to benefit the women's
shelter."

"Here," Lee pulled out a five. The woman handed them two tickets and
gave Lee back a dollar.

"Thank you very much," she said.

The hall was very festive, decorated with tinsel and tiny winkling
lights. In the center of the banquet table stood a candelabra
festooned with electric candles. The tree that the woman had been
talking about sat in the corner. Amanda was about to step forward for
a closer look when a familiar voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stetson," Augie came towards them, holding a plate
filled with food. "So glad to see you here."

"I'm surprised to see you here, Augie," Lee said. "A charity benefit?"

"Hey, domestic and child abuse is a very important cause, Lee." A
flush crept up Augie's neck. "Also my restaurant provided a portion
of the food as well as the CHOCOLATE fountain over there. Everything's
tax deductible, remember."

"Yeah I get it." Lee nodded. "So, do you have something for us?"

"Oh it's not me," Augie pointed. "It's that woman over there—she came
to me but she's a little nervous. It might be best if just one of you
approached her. She doesn't exactly trust people, if you know what I'm
saying."

"Yeah I know what you're saying," Lee said. "Come on, Augie—Amanda
I'll be right back, okay?"

"Okay," Amanda said. Lee and Augie left and Amanda went over to the
tree, studying the tiny and brightly colored paper ornaments, each one
marked with a child's name. She loved these homemade ornaments—over
the years she'd managed to save the ones that Phillip and Jamie had
made, along with Jenna's. She was so lost in her thoughts that she
didn't even notice the soft footsteps from behind.

"Can I get you some EGG NOG?" a man's voice asked.

Startled, Amanda turned around to see a tall man, wearing a suit. The
man had dark brown hair and eyes which were a startling blue color—for
some strange reason she found herself thinking of icicles. The man
smiled.

"Sorry if I startled you." He extended his hand. "My name's Gary
Johnston—councilman Gary Johnston if you want to get formal about it."

"I'm Amanda Stetson." She shook his hand.

"If you don't like egg nog there's always RUM PUNCH." Gary said.

"No, I'm fine, thank you."

"So, are you here alone?"

"No, my husband's just over there." Amanda pointed.

"My wife wanted to come," Gary said. "Unfortunately she's not feeling
too well at the moment. But we have an eleven-year-old daughter, so
this is a cause near to both our hearts."

"I understand," Amanda said. "I have an eleven-year-old daughter too."

Taking his wallet out, Gary showed Amanda a photo of a red headed girl
with big brown eyes. "That's our Marcie—she had it taken this October."

Amanda opened her purse and took out her wallet. "This is Jenna—it was
from her recital this year."

"Good photo." Before Amanda could say anything Gary took the wallet
from her hand. He said nothing for a few moments as he studied the
photo closely.

"She's a beautiful child," he said as he returned the wallet.

"Thank you." Amanda put her wallet back in her purse.

"It's so hard, isn't it?" Gary said. "To imagine that someone could
hurt a child like that? And yet it happens every day."

For some reason the words sent a chill through Amanda. "Yes," she
said quietly, "it is very hard to believe."

"What's up?" Lee put a hand on his wife's shoulder.

"This is councilman Gary Johnston," Amanda said. "We were just
sharing pictures of our children—he has a daughter Jenna's age."

"Nice to meet you," Lee told the man. To Amanda he said. "We should
go—I need to check something out before going home—at work."

"So soon?" Gary said. "Well I guess it can't be helped.

"It can't," Lee said.

"It was nice meeting you, Mr. Johnston," Amanda said.

"Gary, please." The man took her hand again—she was struck by how
cold his fingers were. "Perhaps we'll meet again, Mrs. Stetson—someday."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

4247 Maplewood Dr

9:00 PM

Amanda stood in the doorway, just looking at her daughter.

Jenna lay on her bed, in her pajamas, engrossed in a book. Her blond
hair curtained over her face and she swung her feet back and forth as
she turned the pages.

`To imagine that someone could hurt a child like that'

The councilman's words came back to her, causing Amanda to shiver
involuntarily. Something about him was—but maybe she was imagining it.

"Mom?" Amanda saw that her daughter was now staring at her. "Was
there something you wanted?"

"Not really," Amanda said. "I just wanted to say good night—you are
going to bed soon, right?"

Jenna grinned. "Yeah, after I finish this chapter. Did you have a nice
time? At the party?"

"It was pretty nice, yeah." Amanda sat on the edge of her bed.
"Looking forward to Christmas?"

Jenna nodded. "Always." She yawned, rubbing her hand across her face.
"I can't wait to give you and dad the presents I bought."

"And get your presents, don't forget."

Jenna grinned. "Yeah, that too."

"Amanda!" Dad called. "I could use some help."

"Sounds like Dad needs you."

"Believe me, he does. Well I should let you get to bed, sweetheart,"
Amanda smoothed her daughter's hair. "Good night."

Jenna hugged her. "Good night, Mom—I love you."

Amanda hugged Jenna tightly. "I love you too, sweetheart."

The End