- Text Size +

Sacrifice

Hunkered down behind the crumbling wall, I realized this was the single most important thing I’d ever do in uniform. My target was hiding in the burned out building across the battered square.

The slight weight of the envelope holding her lock of hair weighed heavily on my heart. Removing it from my breast pocket, I stared into my past.

The faint residue of perfume remained with me as I walked away from a future I knew I’d never have. Stepping out from cover, I went to do my job. Risking my life but saving countless others in the process.