- Text Size +

Retreat

I awoke with the dawn, hope burgeoning in my breast; I was alive. I’d dreamed of her cradling me in her arms as I slept.

I dragged my aching body through the still deserted streets and alleyways. Every agonizing step took me closer to home. Resting from time to time to gather my wits and catch my breath, I calculated I would reach our front lines before mid-morning, if they had advanced as much as I hoped.

I started to hear sporadic gunfire and took cover. I didn’t need to be brought down by friendly fire so close to safety.