Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors. A special thanks to all the gutter girls who gave me creative ideas for the story.

This story is also in answer to the Christmas Challenge.
Operation: North Pole

Friday, November 10, 1989

“Okay, people. I’ve called this meeting to let you know it’s the Agency’s turn to organize and perform in the annual Christmas Charity Extravaganza.”

Billy heard a lot of groans from the attendees. They were a bunch of scrooges. Lee wouldn’t even look up from the table. He just stared at his hands. Well, this year he’d make sure everyone participated, including Mr. Scrooge himself.

“For those who were hired after the last benefit, let me tell you about the Christmas Charity Extravaganza. Several years ago, some agents with the FBI, CIA, Secret Service, and the Agency came up with an idea to help collect money for two very worthwhile charities. The first is Birchwood, which is the retirement home for many governmental employees. The other is the fund for spouses and children of those lost in the line of duty.”

Billy noticed a raised hand. “If you’ll wait a few minutes, I’ll open the floor for your questions. I have a few other things I need to tell you. As always, the general public will be allowed to attend the event. The more money we can raise for both causes, the better. I’d also like to tell you that this year the Agency, in the guise of its alter ego, IFF, will film the event for a documentary on charities. Only agents in full costume will be filmed so that their covers will not be compromised. Now, any questions?”

Several hands raised, and Billy pointed to Agent Baker.

“Can my husband participate?”

“Yes, all family members who would like to join in helping us make this year the largest grossing event ever will be more than welcome. Next question.”

“What kinds of jobs would we be doing?”

A girl from the steno pool, who’d been hired recently, had asked the question. Now what was her name . . . It finally came to him. Jan.

“If you want to dress up and be one of the actors, that’s fine, Jan. Or if you’d rather be behind the scenes in another capacity, you can do that also. There will be a lot of things that need to be accomplished--from helping with set decorations to sewing costumes. Next.” Billy pointed to a woman in the back row.

“When will the Christmas Charity Extravaganza be held?”

“Friday, December fifteenth through Sunday, December seventeenth. Thank you, Monica, I should’ve stated that at the beginning of the meeting.”

Billy couldn’t wait to see one particular agent’s face when he made the next announcement. “Now I’d like to introduce the agent in charge of what we’re calling ‘Operation: North POLE.’ Amanda Stetson.”

The room filled with the roar of clapping. Billy watched Lee’s face as Amanda rose from her seat to come to the front of the room. His expressions ran the gambit, from surprise to shock. Like every other year, he’d found one way or another to get out of participating. Billy silently chuckled. Scarecrow would be on the front lines this Christmas, so to speak.

Amanda placed several clipboards on the table in front of the podium. “Thank you, sir. With everyone’s help, we’re going to make this year’s benefit the most successful charity event ever. When you leave the room, please sign one of the clipboards. One is for working behind the scenes; the other is for the actors that will be stationed throughout the benefit. Also, if you have family members that would like to help, I need to know by Monday morning. We have almost four weeks to make dreams come true.”

Thursday, December 14, 1989

The North Pole

Amanda stood at the entrance, staring in amazement. What was once a huge empty warehouse had been transformed into The North Pole, home to Santa Claus’s Village, a winter wonderland for adults and children. It had been a stroke of luck that she’d found this space. The owners of the company had planned a total renovation after the New Year and had moved their entire inventory to a temporary location. Graciously, they’d donated the space for the Christmas benefit.

She’d worked hard this past month, making sure everything would be perfect and coming up with ideas that would generate money for the charities, in addition to the money collected at the entrance.

Thankfully, Billy had seen to it that their caseload had been almost nonexistent. Lee, of course, grumbled at first that they were needed in the field. After some careful persuasion on her part, which she didn’t mind in the least, he had soon become caught up in the magic of the holiday.

She glanced at her list of actors. Even some of the Agency’s retired employees had volunteered to participate. Especially since their home would be one of the beneficiaries.

But first she needed to make sure each exhibit was ready for tomorrow evening’s grand opening.

A large sign with huge snow-topped letters proclaimed: You Are Now Entering the North Pole, Home to Santa Claus’s Village. Large candy canes dotted the path that led through the village. White lights twinkled from the rafters of the black ceiling, giving it a starry night effect.

The workers had done a marvelous job transforming each area into the specific rooms she and her planning staff had envisioned. Temporary walls had been built to make each room. Admittance to the separate rooms would be part of the admission price. The only extra expense would be photographs. And whatever the visitors wanted to purchase in the arts and crafts area.

As she walked along what she called CANDY CANE Lane, she came upon the mural that had been painted on one of the walls. Mrs. Marston had spearheaded the project. Unlike her questionable skill with a machine gun, she had proven to be a marvelous artist. Also, several agents and clerical staff had revealed previously hidden artistic talents. They’d painted Santa’s reindeer flying through a starlit sky, a full moon beaming down on them as they crossed over rooftops.

What truly fascinated her was how they’d incorporated a real SLEIGH into the picture. At one end of the mural sat Santa’s sleigh, black and shiny, with bright-red cushions and a huge green sack brimming with colorfully wrapped presents. The reindeer appeared to be pulling the sleigh. A sign invited visitors to “Come Take a RIDE in Santa’s Sleigh.” Children and their families could sit in it and have their pictures taken, making it look as though they were flying through the air delivering presents.

In the center of the warehouse was the place every child wanted to go first. Santa’s House. There they would sit on his lap and tell him what they wanted for Christmas. If they brought along their Christmas lists, he had a special bag to hold them. Then he’d give the children a candy cane and wish them a Merry Christmas. This, of course, would be the second area where photographs could be purchased.

After checking all the public areas, Amanda went to the costume room to make sure all the costumes created by the various employees who had volunteered for sewing duties had been delivered. She checked off the last item on her list.

Everything was ready.

She hoped all the “actors” were, too.

Friday, December 15, 1989

“Operation: North Pole” was in full swing. Parents and children filled the warehouse the moment they opened the doors. Now, several hours later, Amanda checked each area and the volunteers. They worked in shifts, but sometimes Mother Nature called, and she filled in for them until their return.

Christmas carolers, garbed in Victorian dress, strolled the North Pole. They stopped periodically, and everyone joined them in singing a carol.

The “Elf Shoppe” was the first stop on Amanda’s rounds. Inside, children watched in wonder as ELVES made toys for Santa. Crossing behind the crowd, she made eye contact with one of the elves. She arched her eyebrow and mouthed, “Is everything okay?” When he nodded, she smiled and stayed to watch the demonstration for a few minutes. Several agents were expert whittlers, and they were showing how to make different toys out of wood. The Agency held a wealth of untold talent.

Her next stop was the “ORNAMENT Emporium.” Jeannie Melrose and her daughters were helping children make stars to hang on their Christmas trees. They had shiny gold, silver, red, and green paper cut in the shape of stars, and they helped each child write his or her name on the star in GLITTER. Seeing that everything ran smoothly, she left the Emporium.

As she passed the Christmas tree lot, she noticed some NEEDLES had fallen under one of the trees. Amanda made a note on her clipboard to have them swept up later. She was glad she’d decided to have live trees. A local department store had offered to donate fake trees, but she’d just accepted their offer of ornaments. Luckily, she’d found a tree farm willing to donate live trees. She inhaled deeply. Only the scent of pine could make it truly feel like Christmas.

Eight trees were trimmed in different themes: Angels, Santas, snowmen, The Nutcracker Ballet, a Victorian Christmas, a tropical one with ornaments made out of seashells, Christmas all over the world with decorations from various countries. And one adorned in burgundy and gold ornaments, which were the Redskins team colors. Several of the decorations even bore their logo. The men had decorated that particular tree. She circled each one, making sure nothing had fallen off.

Children scurried from place to place. With the entire event held inside, parents didn’t have to worry about lost kids. And if the weather took a turn for the worse, it didn’t matter. Also, what the attendees didn’t see were the security cameras that were strategically placed to record every nook and cranny. Ernie the Camera manned the command center that they’d installed next to the dressing room. He and several of his assistants monitored them in shifts. Just in case any bad guys decided to make an appearance. No one was going to spoil the event on Amanda’s watch.

Amanda followed the path and stopped to look in the window of the “Christmas Enchantment Nest.” In reality, it was a reading room. A big, comfy chair sat in front of a fake fireplace, with pillows on the floor for the children to sit on. She saw Emily reading from one of the books she’d checked out from the library. She’d gotten an assortment of stories: ‘The Night Before Christmas,’ ‘The Polar Express,’ ‘The Little Match Girl,’ ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas,’ ‘The Mitten,’ ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas,’ along with a variety of other books. From the corner of the room, Rupert waved at her, and she waved back. He and Emily, along with several others from Birchwood, took turns reading to the children.

The “Reindeer Café” was her next stop. She really could use a hot cup of coffee. Lois and Glynis Mendelson manned a small counter, dispersing hot chocolate or coffee to all, along with small bags of popcorn or roasted chestnuts.

“Could I have a coffee, please?”

“Why, of course, dear.” Lois handed her a cup.

“Amanda dear, this has been the most fun Lois and I have had in ages. I’m so happy you asked us to help.” Glynis grinned.

“Tell your handsome husband I have a hot cup waiting for him when he has his break.” Lois winked.

Come to think of it, Amanda hadn’t seen Lee since they’d arrived earlier that day. She hoped he was enjoying the part he played. “I will, as soon as I see him.” After one last sip of coffee, she threw the empty cup into the trash. “I’ll check on you again later.”

Closing the door behind her, she heard a man clear his throat. “Miss.”

“Yes, sir?”

“Could you tell us where the ‘Snow Cave’ is?”

“Yeah, I wanna make a snowman,” a little girl said, jumping up and down.

“I’ll do better than that. I’ll show you. Follow me.”

A few moments later, Amanda stood in front of a door. “Now remember it’s cold inside, so you have to button your coat.”

A blast of cold air hit her as she opened the door. Inside, real SNOW fell from the ceiling intermittently. In the center of the room, several children were making a small snowman. They were aided by two figures dressed as Frosty the Snowman.

“I guess I’d better help my daughter.” The man pulled a pair of gloves out of his pocket and put them on.

“Hi, Mom,” one Frosty said.

“Are you and Phillip having a good time playing with the kids?”

“Yeah! We’re having a blast!” Jamie exclaimed.

“Make sure you don’t get cold.”

“Mom, we’re covered head to foot in these crazy costumes.” Phillip placed his hands on his hips.

He was right. They wore more clothing than they would if they were dressed for the outside world. “Have fun.”

Upon leaving her sons playing in the snow with the children, Amanda went to the next checkpoint on her list. “Mrs. Claus’ Kitchen.” Inside the kitchen, she found T.P. taking a sheet of fresh-baked COOKIES out of the oven. Her mouth watered as the scent of gingerbread wafted over the room.

“Why, hello there, Mrs. Stetson. Could I interest you in a hot cookie and a glass of EGGNOG? Non-alcoholic, of course.”

“I’ll pass on the drink, but I’d love a cookie. They smell delicious.”

“How ’bout a little RUM PUNCH.” He winked.

“Don’t let him fool you, Amanda.” Her mother handed a CHOCOLATE chip cookie to a little boy. “The punch doesn’t have any alcohol either.”

“Tut, tut, Mrs. West. I have a secret recipe just for special friends hidden behind the counter.”

“I think we better wait to taste that after everyone goes home and we’re alone.”

“Never fear. I have enough for all.” The oven timer sounded. “More gingerbread men are ready for their debut.” T.P. rubbed his hands together, before opening the oven door and extracting a cookie sheet.

Amanda couldn’t resist the temptation of a gingerbread man. She picked up one from the cooling rack and took a bite, closing her eyes as the cookie titillated her taste buds.

“Have you seen Phillip and Jamie?” Mother poured eggnog into plastic cups.

“They’re having a blast, to quote Jamie.”

“I knew they would.”

The door to the kitchen opened, and several families swarmed inside. The parents took cups of eggnog, while the children surrounded her mother as she passed out cookies.

“I’ll see you both later,” Amanda called out.

She followed the path to the gazebo. The carolers congregated there every hour and sang for ten minutes, before strolling on their way. Boxes of instruments sat in one corner. A small band joined the singers during some of the performances. Christmas lights and garlands were entwined around the railing. One strand was blinking. This normally wouldn’t be a problem, but these lights weren’t supposed to blink. Hopefully, it was just a loose connection. She found the strand and wiggled the wire. The lights blazed forth. Jiggling the blue wire always worked. Okay, in this case the wire wasn’t blue. But jiggling still worked. She was about to leave when she heard a sneeze.

The gazebo wasn’t huge. How had she missed the figure crouched behind the instruments?

“Francine! What are you doing in here?”

“Amanda, please, you have to help me. He won’t leave me alone. He thinks I look sexy. How anyone could think someone dressed up as an elf was sexy is beyond me.” She shook her head in obvious disgust.

“Beaman?”

“Who else? And what’s worse he’s carrying MISTLETOE, trying to catch me under it. I don’t know where to go. What to do.”

Amanda stifled a giggle. Beaman had been chasing after Francine for years and couldn’t take the hint that she wasn’t interested in him.

“Amanda, have you seen Francine?”

She looked up at the “Grinch Who Stole Christmas,” who held a sprig of mistletoe in his hand. “Isn’t she taking pictures of children sitting on Santa’s lap?”

“No. A bunch of hooligans surrounded and distracted me. When I turned around, she was gone.”

“Oh, look.” Amanda pointed toward the Christmas tree lot. “Isn’t that her?”

“Thanks.” The “Grinch Who Was Beaman” sprinted off after his prey.

“Okay, you’re safe for the moment.”

“Thanks, I owe you one. Now where can I go to keep him out of my hair?”

“I have an idea. Phillip and Jamie need to take their breaks. You can relieve them. First one, then the other. That way you’ll be totally in disguise as Frosty the Snowman.”

Francine’s forehead furrowed for a moment, and then she sighed. “You’re right. I just hope my hair doesn’t get too mussed up in the costume.”

“Think of the alternative.”

“You’re right. I can go to the hairdresser tomorrow. Is the coast clear?”

Amanda glanced at the green figure of the Grinch and saw him enter the Christmas tree lot. “Go. Now.” She waved her hand behind her.

“Thanks,” Francine whispered. She skulked off toward the Snow Cave, hiding behind anyone who happened to be taller than she was.

“BAH HUMBUG.”

Amanda closed her eyes and slowly counted to ten, then turned to face the head of the Agency. She almost burst out laughing at the sight of him, but she managed to control herself. Dr. Smyth stood before her, clad in a long dressing gown and cap. Ebenezer Scrooge lived.

“Bah. I’m off. I’ve had enough of this playacting. Time for me to toddle on out of this winter maze.”

Amanda opened her mouth to speak, but Smyth held up his hand. “Say nothing. I’ve done my part. You go check on the other worker bees. The king bee is going to find some nectar of the gods.” He turned and walked away.

She just shook her head. Why in the world had he even agreed to play the part of Scrooge in the first place? Although she wished she had a camera. Lee would love to have a picture of Smyth in his costume to use as BLACKMAIL material in the future.

Her journey led her next to several “stores” where items could be purchased, with fifty percent of the proceeds going to the charities. She entered the “TEDDY House.” Here children and adults could build their own teddy bears and dress them in whatever they wanted--from Santa Claus suits, ballerinas, and cowboys, to Christmas-themed BOXERS. Glancing over the heads of many children, she saw Leatherneck manning one of the three stuffing machines. She watched as he expertly stuffed a bear. Not wanting to disturb him or the other workers, she backed up and closed the door.

The “Candy Cane Store” was next. Inside, ladies from Birchwood handcrafted candy canes in various flavors. She watched in awe for several minutes, as they deftly rolled strips into a rope shape. Then they twisted two ropes together, making the hook on top. The completed canes were then placed on a cookie sheet to harden. Once they were set, plastic was wrapped around them and they were put in numerous bins, according to flavor.

Amanda couldn’t make up her mind which flavor she wanted. The traditional peppermint? Or maybe butterscotch? Or one of the fruit flavors? In the end, she decided on one of her childhood favorites. She picked up two spearmint canes, made her purchase, and pocketed them.

Her rounds were almost complete. Soon she’d be able to take a break, and she hoped to take it with her husband. The “Candle Shoppe” was the last store to check. The cinnamon candles filled the air with the aroma of a fresh-baked apple pie. There were only a few customers inside, and she didn’t have to wait long for them to leave.

“Are you all right now, sir?”

Billy scratched his nose. “Yeah, after I stopped burning that one candle called ‘Holiday,’ my sneezing went away. I must be allergic to something in it.”

“I’m glad you’re all right.” She checked her watch. “I’ve arranged for Mrs. Marston to relieve you in an hour, and you can work with Jeannie and your daughters in the Ornament Emporium.”

“Thanks, but I know my wife and I think I’d rather join the strolling carolers. But I’ll help her and the girls for a bit, then tell them Billy Blue Note is needed.”

Amanda laughed. The door opened, and a family entered. The children went immediately to the candles shaped like Santa, while the man and woman looked at candles shaped like trees.

Now she needed to check on the man himself. Santa. She began the journey that would lead her to the one man all children wanted to see. As she walked down the sparkling path, overhanging branches covered with fake snow and wrapped in twinkle lights added a magical touch.

A small line waited at the front door to the house. She walked around to the side door and entered. Inside, Mrs. Claus entertained the children until their turn to sit on her husband’s lap. Workers dressed as elves collected money for photographs and snapped the pictures.

“I’m having a wonderful time, Amanda.” Christina patted a little girl’s head. “Thank you for inviting Harry and me to participate. He’s having the time of his life.”

Amanda looked over at Santa. Harry Thornton boomed a hearty “Ho Ho Ho” as a little boy sat on his lap. His eyes sparkled with joy, and his cheeks were pleasantly pink. The fake white beard was expertly combed; his black boots highly shined. A perfect Santa.

A toy soldier stood at attention behind Harry’s chair. Another stood guarding the exit. Whenever anyone left, he saluted.

Another soldier entered from the employee entrance and marched over to the exit.

“Looks like it’s the changing of the guard.” Christina bent down and asked a little girl if she had her Christmas list.

“Perfect timing.” Amanda waited while the two soldiers executed a little ceremony of handing over the guard. They saluted each other, and the departing one handed his replacement a toy gun. “I’ll see you two later.” Amanda waved to Christina and caught Harry’s eye. He winked in return.

She followed the soldier out. They walked through an area designated “employee’s only” that led to the break and dressing rooms. “Having fun, Stetson?”

Lee took off the costume head. “Barrel of laughs. It’s hot in this thing. I’m glad I’m not on soldier duty anymore today. It’ll be a breeze wearing Victorian clothing and singing.”

Amanda felt in her pocket and pulled out one of the candy canes she’d bought earlier. “Here’s a present for all your hard work.”

“I’d rather UNWRAP you.”

“I know you would. You’ll have to wait till tonight.”

“But I don’t have to wait to do this.” His hands wrapped around her waist, and he drew her to him. His lips slowly descended to hers.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she whispered when their lips parted.

“Only what we’re supposed to do here.”

Amanda looked up and found they’d walked into the Mistletoe Grotto someone had set up. Mistletoe hung from everything it could be tied to. “More later.” She kissed the tip of his nose.

Monday, December 18, 1989

Amanda sat in one of the chairs in front of Billy’s desk. She’d waited all day to hear the final tally of the funds raised for the charities by “Operation: North Pole.” Billy would only tell her that they’d have it sometime this afternoon.

Her fingers danced along the arm of the chair. Butterflies flew in her stomach. Billy had called her to his office ten minutes ago. She reached out and grabbed Lee’s hand. “Where is he?”

“I’m sure he’ll be here soon. You’ve been anxious all day.”

“I know. It’s just that I’m the agent in charge, and I really want it to have been a success.”

“You got me dressed up as a toy soldier and singing Christmas carols. I think that in itself was a success.”

The door opened, and Billy walked in, holding a folder.

She bit her lower lip. “Is that the final total?”

Billy sat on the edge of his desk, frowned, and looked down at his hands.

Suddenly he looked up, and a huge smile crossed his face. “I can’t keep you in suspense. This year’s charity event has been the highest grossing one ever.”

“Oh My Gosh!” She felt a warm glow flow through her.

Lee stood and held out his hands to her.

She rose, and he enveloped her in his arms. “I told ya,” he whispered in her ear.

“You’ve put so much effort into making this one of the best events ever,” Billy went on, “and Dr. Smyth seems to be in such a good mood that he’s decided to give you the rest of the week off. I’m sure you can use the time to catch up on your own holiday activities.”

Usually, by this time she’d finished her shopping and had the presents wrapped. This year she only had half of what she needed. The time off would allow her to get back on track.

“In fact, I don’t want to see you until next year. The second day of January to be precise. And since Lee’s handled what little I’ve thrown the Q Bureau and done the reports needed and not let them gather dust during your absence, I also don’t want to see him until next year.”

“Billy, you mean us both?”

“Get out of here, Scarecrow. Take your wife home and enjoy your time together.”

“Merry Christmas, sir.” Amanda hugged Billy tightly and kissed him on the cheek.

“And Happy New Year,” Lee added, as he placed his hand on the small of Amanda’s back and guided her out of the office.

The End