- Text Size +
Thursday, Day Four—Amarillo, TX to Flagstaff, AZ

At 6am they all awoke and after breakfast the replacement vehicle arrived, with escort back for the soldiers.

“For once the Army is efficient,” Lee commented.

“Yeah, better not get used to it, Stetson,” Captain Sikes replied dryly. “You might have to change your opinion of the Army.”

“Don’t worry, that’ll never happen,” Lee retorted.

Once on the road Lee was in a good mood—finally he got to drive after three days of frustrating inactivity. Amanda had offered to show him the console and explain the Vigilant’s idiosyncrasies—but he declined. ‘I don’t need a housewife instructing me about driving.’ He thought. ‘Though she’s just being nice, as usual.’ he temporized to himself.

Lee drove and Amanda kept him well supplied with coffee and snacks.

As the morning wore on, Lee realized the RV was not exactly easy to drive. It did indeed “wallow like a pig” at times, had little pickup from about 30 to freeway speeds, and had a tendency to slow markedly when going uphill. Plus there were rather large blind spots on either side—which he discovered when he nearly ran Sikes off the road as he changed lanes.

The radio crackled to life. “Sikes to Vigilant. What the hell you doin’ Stetson? I thought you were some sort of expert driver?”

“Hello Captain,” Amanda brightly replied. “Lee’s just adjusting to the RV. He’s sorry.”

“A—man—da!” Lee exclaimed as she clicked the microphone off.

“Lee, I tried to warn you. It’s awfully big and there are blind spots. You just have to keep track of what cars are around you, that’s all.”

“Oh yeah—that’s all.”

“So, you want to talk?” she asked tentatively.

“Not right now—maybe later.” He sounded tense.

“OK Lee, just let me know.” she replied.

They stopped for lunch and then got back on the road. Lee’s leg was aching and his shoulders were tight from the need to control the RV on the more winding mountainous road.

By the afternoon rest stop, Lee was limping visibly. He hadn’t realized how difficult the RV was to drive. He began to have more respect for Amanda. It couldn’t have been easy for her—especially with the winds the previous day.

Amanda had surreptitiously watched Lee all day. They hadn’t talked much—and she suspected he was finding the RV more of a handful than he had anticipated. Her shoulders and arms ached from fighting the winds on the previous day and she was glad he was driving today. ‘Finally, I can just relax and watch the scenery,’ she thought to herself. ‘I love the Appalachians—all round and green. The Rocky Mountains are more brown, yellow and russet and not rounded at all. I wish we could stop at some of these interesting places. The petrified forest and meteor crater sound like the best. I’m glad I was able to get some nice rocks for the boys at lunch in Albuquerque. Petrified wood is so colorful. They’ll like that. I got myself a book of postcards, too. Maybe someday we can take a vacation and see those places in person.’ She sighed.

‘This trip has been interesting and frustrating, too. Watching Lee bluff at cards the other night was very interesting. He has certainly learned to control his face—and most everything else, but he still gives it away in little ways. He’d have more fun if he wasn’t so impatient and stubborn. I know his leg is hurting. He was limping at lunch but trying to hide it. He’s overdoing it with that bullet would—but his stubborn male ego won’t let him admit it. So he is just hurting himself some more.’ She shook her head. ‘If he doesn’t start taking better care of himself he could end up dead. Of course, I can’t tell him that. I guess I’ll just have to try to do it for him. Tomorrow is the test at the proving grounds. I’ll suggest that I drive since we’ll drive directly to the test. He can maybe sit in the back and check out the controls.’

‘Flagstaff to Phoenix is a scenic road—but it will be tough in the RV. Still, it isn’t that long—but we go down over 6000 feet. I hope the brakes are in good shape. I can use low gear, too. I’ll manage—I always do somehow.’

They arrived in Flagstaff on time after the day’s driving. Lee was very glad the day was over. His wound was hurting again and he looked forward to taking some pain pills with dinner. His shoulders ached from wrestling the RV on the more winding mountain roads.

At dinner, Valentiner tried to arrange another poker game. Lee begged off. He planned to take a long hot shower, and then read or watch TV.

Amanda noticed Lee was visibly limping and how quiet and subdued he was. She also saw the pain pills he surreptitiously took with his dinner. ‘He’s hurting pretty bad. Maybe I should offer to rub his neck and shoulders. Or would that be too forward? I never know how he’ll react. Better not, and be safe.’

They went back to their motel. Lee took a long hot shower and tried to work the kinks out of his neck and shoulders. The pain pills were finally kicking in and he was more relaxed. He put on sweats and a robe—got out a book and turned on the TV.

After she had made her nightly call home, Amanda heard the TV go on in Lee’s room and decided to go on over. Lee opened his door and invited her inside.

“How are you doing?” Amanda asked him, “I noticed you took a couple of your pain pills at dinner.”

“You noticed that, huh?” Lee wasn’t really surprised. He had come to realize that Amanda was very observant in a quiet unobtrusive way. “I took a long hot shower, and the pills finally kicked in, so I feel a lot better.”

“That’s good.” She moved to the chair and picked up Lee’s book. “So what are you reading? Andersonville. Didn’t that win the Pulitzer?”

“Yeah. It’s pretty gruesome, but it was a gruesome reality in the prison camp.”

“You a Civil War buff?” she asked.

“Oh yeah. I try to visit the battlefields when I have the time.”

“I’ve taken the boys to a few myself.”

Lee pointed to the TV and the ad which was on “Hey, Stagecoach will be on in a few minutes.”

“That’s a good one.” Amanda replied.

“Wanna stay and watch it with me?” he invited.

“Sure—should I get us some snacks?”

“That would be great!”

Amanda got sodas and snacks from the motel vending machines. They watched the movie together, Lee sitting on the bed with the pillows behind him and Amanda in the comfy chair. They commented during the commercials and had a pleasant evening.

While Lee and Amanda were watching their movie, the soldiers were playing poker. Sikes was in the Vigilant for the night.

“Last day on this assignment tomorrow,” Young said.

Taylor replied, “I’ll be glad to get something with some action.”

“Yeah” Unwin said, “but I’ll miss Mrs. King. She’s a real nice lady.” He thought wistfully of the cookies, and Amanda’s trim figure.

Wyatt chimed in, “Yeah, those cookies were great. She sure seems to put up with a lot from Stetson.”

“Stetson’s a jerk,” Young said.

“He plays poker well,” Valentiner interjected.

The others all looked at him.

“But yeah, he’s a jerk,” Valentiner added.

“Are all spooks jerks like him?” Wyatt asked.

“He’s the first spook I’ve met,” Young said.

“That you know of,” Taylor added.

“So, is Mrs. King a spook? Because she’s not a jerk at all. She’s nice,” Unwin said.

“You got a thing for her, Unwin?” Young chided him.

Unwin blushed. “She’s just really nice, OK?”

“But she’s really pretty, too,” Valentiner added. “Great legs. Wouldn’t mind getting to know her a bit better.”

“Well, well, well—Valentiner has noticed something besides the cards.” Young teased.

“Oh I notice—I just don’t talk about it all the time.” Valentiner was not fazed.

“One person who doesn’t notice is Stetson,” Taylor said.

“What’s with that guy, anyhow?” Wyatt asked.

“He’s a hotshot. He’s used to being in charge or working solo,” Young observed.

“But Cap’n Sikes said they’re partners,” Unwin added.

“Except she said they aren’t partners—she just helps out from time to time.” Taylor said.

“Your radar ears pick that up?” Valentiner asked.

“She said it when Sikes came to her door. Nice house,” Taylor mused.

“So are they partners or not?” Wyatt asked.

“Let’s ask the Captain.” Valentiner cranked up the radio they had brought into the room. “Captain Sikes, you there sir?”

“Sikes here. What’s up Valentiner?”

“We’re wondering, sir. Are Stetson and Mrs. King partners or what?”

“You guys got nothing better to do?” Sikes was surprised.

“We’re just feeling sorry for Mrs. King—Stetson is a real jerk—and he isn’t very nice to her, sir.” Unwin explained.

“Unwin’s soft on her,” Young said.

“She’s a lady—he’s a jerk,” Sikes said.

“So are they partners? What’s the deal, sir?” Wyatt asked.

“Their boss, Mr. Melrose said he considers them partners but they’re still getting used to it. They haven’t worked together very long—since the start of the month. He said to expect a bit of resistance from Stetson, and to ignore it.” Sikes answered.

“She’s pretty patient with him. But she doesn’t put up with his crap, either, sir,” Wyatt said.

“She puts up with a hell of a lot more than I would,” Sikes said. “So you got your answer—anything else? Do I need to tuck you guys in—or maybe I should have Mrs. King do it.”

“I’d take you up on that, sir,” Valentiner replied, “but I don’t think Mrs. King would agree.”

“Sikes out.”

Valentiner stowed the radio. “So they’re partners, but they don’t know it? Sounds like that Melrose guy is trying to pull a fast one.”

“Yeah, on Stetson,” Taylor said with a smile.

They all chuckled.

“That poor Mrs. King—she’s in for a rough ride,” Unwin observed.

“So what do you want to do—marry her?” Young shot back.

“No—she’d never have a guy like me,” Unwin said sadly.

“She’s only got eyes for Stetson,” Taylor said.

“What?” Young asked.

“Open your eyes Young, instead of your mouth for once.” Taylor retorted.

“You’re playin’ inscrutable Indian again?” Young asked.

“Just keepin’ my eyes open, cowboy.” Taylor retorted.

“I agree with Taylor,” Wyatt said. “She wants to be around him most of the time.”

“Except when he’s being a jerk,” Young said.

“Sometimes then, too,” Taylor added quietly.

“Sounds like she’s sweet on him,” Unwin said sadly.

“I think it’s a lot more complicated than that,” Taylor said.

“Yeah,” Valentiner added. “He’s a goner—only he doesn’t know it yet.”

“Couldn’t happen to a better guy,” Taylor chuckled.

They all had a laugh at Lee’s expense.

“So are we gonna do something for Mrs. King?” Unwin asked.
“You wanna get her a present?” Young asked sarcastically.

“That’s a good idea—something pretty for her house,” Valentiner said.

“She was looking at some of the pottery at the restaurant yesterday,” Taylor said.

“Where do we get some, then?” Wyatt asked.

“You kiddin’?” Valentiner said. “It’s all over the place out here.”

“You volunteerin’?” Young asked.

“Sure, why not. Chip in, you guys.” Valentiner collected $25 and they decided he would pick up something nice for Amanda during their drive tomorrow.

“We’ll make sure I’m not with Sikes,” Valentiner said, “and we’ll get ahead—then stop somewhere and get her something nice.”

“Let’s give it to her at lunch,” Unwin said. “They’ll hit the proving grounds after that and our mission’s over then.”

“Yeah, but I bet the Captain will want to watch the test. He wants to see if Stetson is the big hotshot he claims to be,” Taylor said.

“I’d like to see that, too,” Wyatt said. “I heard about it from one of the guys chasing it on Sunday. He said it was pretty tough to beat—and they weren’t even using lethal force.”

“You just want to see the new armament,” Young said.

“Sure—what’s wrong with that?” Wyatt replied.

When the movie was over, Amanda cleaned up the remains of their movie snacks. “Are you feeling better?” she asked. “Will you be able to sleep?” She was still worried Lee had overexerted himself with the driving.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine,” he answered. “The pills sure help.” He paused a few seconds in thought. “Y’know, maybe—well—tomorrow is the last day—we drive to the proving grounds and complete the test—maybe you should drive. It’s only a short drive to the proving grounds anyhow.”

“You can spend the morning with the controls—planning what you will do during the mock attack,” Amanda added helpfully.

“Yeah—it’s pretty easy to operate—I found that out on Sunday—but I’d like to have more of a plan this time.”

“Do I need to plan? Y’know, like where to drive or what to avoid or stuff like that?” Amanda was somewhat nervous about the test.

“Let me think about it. We can talk about it tomorrow. We drive in the morning—have lunch and then go to the test.”

“OK. Sleep well, Lee. See you in the morning.”

“See you in the morning, Amanda.”