- Text Size +
Wednesday, Day Three—Little Rock, AR to Amarillo, TX

Everyone was up at 6 again, and after breakfast they were ready to leave—except the ride for Nelson and Griggs hadn’t materialized. After calls to the brass a car finally appeared to transport the soldiers back to the base. Finally—shortly before 9—the convoy pulled out of Little Rock.

In the Vigilant, Lee and Amanda were alone again.

“Tomorrow I get to drive, Amanda,” Lee was not even trying to persuade her to let him drive today.

“If your leg is up to it, Lee. You shouldn’t push yourself if you aren’t totally healed. You’re just buying trouble down the road.” Amanda was being sensible.

Lee wasn’t having any of it, “It’s just a flesh wound—no broken bones, no torn ligaments. Piece of cake. I’d drive today but you’d make such a fuss—it isn’t worth the aggravation.”

“Well, Mr. Melrose ordered you to rest for three days. So you’d be disobeying a direct order.”

“And you’d snitch on me, right?” Lee taunted.

“Lee! I wouldn’t snitch on you. But if he directly asked me… Well, I don’t like to lie. And I could lose this job if I lied to the boss and he found out…”

“This isn’t a regular job for you, Amanda. You should try to get something more steady. More normal.”

“Last time I went on an interview you blew it for me.” Amanda said wryly.

“That was a fluke—won’t happen again,” Lee shot back immediately.

“So you say now. But here I am—driving an RV to Arizona. That’s a full week of work. I’ll even be able to get the boys an Atari for Christmas. They really want one, and with this week’s pay, I can afford it.”

“You really do all you can for your kids.” Lee was admiring.

“They’re only young once. Childhood is the basis for the rest of their lives. Eventually they’ll move out to live on their own—so I have to make the most of it while they’re at home.”

“That’s what makes you a great mother.”

She smiled at him, “Thank you, Lee. Could you please get me a cup of coffee?”

They spent the morning alternately in companionable silence and small talk about the trip. Lee studied the equipment manuals and read passages to Amanda—partly to explain the vehicle to her and partly to help him learn the workings better. It was all he could do short of actually trying it out—which was out of the question on the interstate.

Lunch was in Shawnee, OK. They found a small diner and Taylor got his fry bread. And Indian Tacos. Everyone tried the new and different cuisine.

The diner was run by a Native American Tribe and as they ate, Taylor told them all how he would get fry bread at home on the Rez in South Dakota.

“My grandmother made it best,” he told them. “At pow-wows she would sell it and that would help the family out in hard times. This is as good as hers.”

Amanda asked, “How could your grandmother’s recipe end up in Oklahoma?”

Taylor smiled and shook his head. “Fry bread started after we were kicked off our lands and put in reservations—the Rez. Originally the Navajos developed it—all the government gave them for rations was flour and lard—so the women invented fry bread. Indian Tacos came later when more and better rations were available. The recipe spread and now it’s sort of the universal Indian food. Fry bread and Indian Tacos are sold at all pow-wows. It’s amazing, there are so many different tribes but we all eat fry bread and Indian Tacos at pow-wows. No matter where you are in the US or Canada—at any pow-wow you can get fry bread.” It was the most any of them had heard Taylor say at any one time.

“Thank you for explaining that to us, “Amanda said. “I just wish my boys were here, too. They’d love these Indian Tacos.”

“Yeah, they’re pretty good, Taylor,” Unwin said. “I thought you were just pulling our legs—but these’re good food.”

The waitress came to their table. “You folks got the RV?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Lee answered warily.

“Better be careful. Bad weather’s coming—storms, big winds. You going east or west?” She looked around the group.

“West,” Amanda answered.

She shook her head. “It’s coming from the south. But it’s a big storm. So you drive careful. Pull off if the wind gets too strong and park under an overpass. RV’s can tip in big winds. You don’t want that.”

“No we don’t. Thank you for the warning. We appreciate the advise.” Amanda was genuinely grateful. The RV handled well—for an RV. But it was still a large and sometimes unwieldy vehicle.

“Let’s get moving, people.” Sikes said. “We still have a long way to go today.” He was tense after the “weather report”.

Back on the road, the clouds were building off in the south.

“Gee Lee, It looks like a storm’s building.”

“Amanda—it’s a long way off yet. Just keep driving. The farther we get, the better it will be.” He scanned the skies—he was worried—but he didn’t want Amanda to know. The Vigilant was very top-heavy with all that armament in the roof. A strong wind would tip it over. Hopefully the storm would go east or hold off until they reached Amarillo. He tried a diversion. “So, what do you like in film noir?” He asked brightly.

They chatted more about movies. As the afternoon wore on the clouds moved closer and the wind picked up. As the wind picked up, the RV became more difficult to handle. Both Lee and Amanda watched the skies as they chatted.

Suddenly the sky opened up and the rain started. The wind had picked up further and the RV was swaying.

“Lee, this is getting really bad.” Amanda was fighting to keep control with the wind and rain. “I’m gonna pull off under the next overpass.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea.” He radioed their plans to Sikes. Lee was watching the sky—it was dark, and boiling. There was a low line of clouds—seemingly barreling straight for them. And beneath that line was a portion that was lowering menacingly. “Amanda, you might want to find that overpass really soon.” Lee said.

“I’m trying but I don’t see one yet.” She replied as she fought to keep the RV on the road.

The lowering clouds had started to rotate. They seemed a ways off, but they were coming closer. Suddenly the rain stopped and the wind shifted.

Amanda drove holding the steering wheel with all her strength. The winds moved the RV back and forth on the road. An overpass came up a mile or so down the road. She slowed in preparation to stop.

The lowering clouds were rotating faster and a finger of grey appeared below them—a tornado. When the rain had stopped the wind had kicked up dust and debris which were being blown across the road. This made driving the RV very difficult. With the wind gusts the vehicle was pushed back and forth across the road and it rocked from side to side. Amanda was fighting the wind and trying to keep the RV on the road and not run into the ditch or the median. The dust and debris limited visibility ahead, but that was a minor problem. Amanda had to slow the RV’s speed considerably to keep control and not go off the road.

Lee looked to the south—the tornado had touched down in a plowed field. Dust swirled around the funnel which seemed to be aiming straight for them.

“Amanda, we need to get to that underpass really soon. Speed it up, will ya?”

“Lee, I’m trying to keep us from crashing or running off the road or blowing over. I’m doing the best I can.” She sounded somewhat exasperated.

“Well, hurry up—look, it’s just up there!” He pointed to the slowly approaching overpass.

“Lee, if you keep bugging me I’ll lose my concentration.” Amanda was watching the road and driving the RV. She hadn’t noticed the fast approaching tornado.

“Park under the overpass. Then we’ll get out of the RV.” Lee sounded tense—he was worried.

“What? Why?” She looked at Lee as she slowed and made for the side of the road.

“Just do it, OK?”

She pulled the RV to a stop under the overpass. She shut off the engine and Lee grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the door—they climbed up under the road into the gap where the bridge and ground met.

There was a roar like a freight train. The winds howled and swirled around and around. Lee and Amanda huddled in the gap and clung to each other. Then suddenly Taylor and Young were there also. The four of them sat tight as the tornado roared past.

In less than 15 minutes it was all over. The RV was still upright. The car Taylor and Young had been driving was parked behind it. The back window was smashed with a large board sticking out of it.

“We keep losing escort vehicles,” Young said in a tired tone.

“The Vigilant looks OK,” Amanda said optimistically.

“Not a scratch,” Lee said dryly.

They climbed down to the road. They could hear the radio in the escort car.

Young opened the car door and answered the radio. “We’re here, Captain.”

“Where the hell were you? I’ve been calling for over 15 minutes!” Sikes sounded upset.

“We were out of the vehicle, sir.” Young replied.

“And why were you out of the vehicle? Do you have the Vigilant in visual range? I can’t raise Stetson at all.”

“We’re here, Captain,” Lee answered.

“What are you doing in the escort vehicle?” Sikes seemed more upset now.

Young replied, “There was a tornado, sir. We had to abandon the vehicles and seek cover.”

“A tornado?” Sikes sounded disbelieving.

“Yes sir.”

“Where are you?” Sikes sounded more matter-of-fact now.

“Under an overpass, sir. Shortly after mile 56,” Young replied.

“Everyone OK?” Sikes asked.

Young looked at the group, they all nodded. “Yes sir.”

“Has the storm passed?”

They looked around—it had started raining again, and was still windy, but it was nowhere as bad as before the tornado had hit. “Not totally, sir—but the worst seems to be over,” Taylor replied.

“Well, get back on the road. We have a ways to go yet.”

“There’s a problem, sir.” Taylor replied calmly.

“Now what, Young?” Sikes sounded exasperated.

“Our vehicle is out of commission, sir. Back window is smashed out. Debris, sir.”

There was a brief silence. “How is the Vigilant?” Sikes asked in a flat tone.

“It seems OK, sir.”

“Right. You two transfer your gear to the Vigilant and ride with Stetson and Mrs. King. We’ll get another escort vehicle in Amarillo.”

“Yes, sir.” Young replied.

“Radio me from the Vigilant once you are on the road.”

“Will do, sir.”

“Over and out.” Sikes signed off.

They opened the door to the Vigilant. Coffee was spilled and the manuals Lee had been studying were on the floor—some soaked with coffee. Amanda grabbed the paper towels and started to clean up. Taylor grabbed the roll after her and helped.

“Looks like the RV was shaken up a bit.” She said.

“Could be worse. It was a small tornado,” Taylor replied.

“You call that small?” Amanda was incredulous.

“They get lots bigger, ma’am.” Taylor said quietly.

It took a few minutes to clean up the Vigilant, get the gear transferred and plan out how they would be seated. In the end, Taylor and Young sat in the back—Young in the chair and Taylor on the floor, resting on their bags.

They got back to driving toward Amarillo. Lee shifted uncomfortably in his seat. His leg was hurting after the run up the embankment, pulling Amanda behind him. After an hour of driving Lee chided Amanda, “Could you drive a bit faster? We want to get there before Christmas.”

“I’m doing my best here. Look, we’re going up over 3000 feet today.” She replied.

“What? No way!” Lee exclaimed.

“Oh yes—we looked it up on the maps on Sunday.” Amanda spoke with authority.

“What? Who?” Lee was lost with the change of subject.

“In the family room. We got out the maps and traced the route from DC to Phoenix. We all were really surprised to see Amarillo was at 3600 feet. Little Rock is at 350 feet.”

“So what’s the big deal?” Lee was derisive.

“Lee—elevation affects vehicles and an RV is big and heavy—this thing wallows like a pig. With all the armor and weapons its super-heavy. I’m surprised we don’t need to weigh in like a truck.”

“Amanda, that would sort of blow our cover here.” Lee sounded tired.

“I know, but I don’t want a ticket for driving over weight.”

Lee pinched his nose and shook his head. “The Army has taken care of all of that.” He said it as if explaining it to a small child.

“Well, tomorrow it’s your problem. But anyhow—we’re going up over 3000 feet today—most of it between Oklahoma City and Amarillo, and its 2000 feet after we cross into Texas. This thing just doesn’t like to climb hills. So it slows down. I’m sorry if we’re behind schedule, but I’d like to remind you I’m doing all the driving here. You’re just a passenger.” Amanda’s tone was tart.

“Yeah, well I’d drive if I could,” Lee was petulant.

“Well, you can’t. Mr. Melrose ordered you to take it easy for three days. So just relax and enjoy the ride,” she shot back at him.

“Enjoy the ride?” Lee was incredulous. “I’ve studied those stupid manuals—which are really bad—they leave a lot out—for three days—and I’m bored. This is not my idea of fun, being stuck in this tin can for a week.”

“Well it’s your job this week—like its mine too and you could try to make the most of it.” Amanda was peeved.

“Oh, make the most of it—like you and Wyatt playing that stupid license plate game?” Lee was sarcastic.

“It helps pass the time, Lee. So does conversation,” She sounded tired now.

“Well excuuuse me if I’m not a chatty guy!” He replied a little too loudly.

Young piped up from the back “Hey you two—don’t make me come up there, now.”

Lee and Amanda exchanged surprised glances, and then Amanda laughed.

“OK, “dad”,” she replied in a light tone, “We’ll behave. Don’t put us out by the side of the road.” She chuckled. “Can we have ice cream if we’re good?”

“What the hell?” Lee was looking defensive and confused simultaneously.

“Chill, man,” Taylor spoke calmly. “You never take a car trip with the family?”

“Uh, no,” Lee seemed somewhat taken aback.

Amanda got a mischievous look on her face. “Are we there yet?” she whined.

“He touched me—keep away from me!” Young chimed in.

“I want ice cream—we never stop for ice cream!” Taylor added

“I’m bored, when do we get there?”

“He’s making faces at me!”

“Well he started it!”

Lee put his fingers in his mouth and whistled loudly. “Have you all gone insane?” He shouted.

The three others all laughed.

“Lee,” Amanda explained patiently, “that’s how it is with a family on a car trip. Eventually there comes a point when the kids are whining and cranky and the usual complaints come out and eventually one of the parents has to stop it. But it does clear the air.”

“More “normal people” stuff, huh?” Lee asked.

Young answered, “Yeah. All a part of normal American family life.”

“Well, spare me the lesson in American social family dynamics. Let’s just get there. I could use a hot shower and a soft bed right about now.” Lee sounded petulant again.

“We’re all tired and cranky, Lee. We’ll get there fairly soon. Just a couple more hours or so.” Amanda explained patiently.

They were all silent for a few minutes. Then Taylor spoke up. “Is he always like this, ma’am?”

“He’s just not used to being cooped up and still for so long. He’s more a man of action,” she explained to the soldiers.

“He is right here, Amanda,” Lee said tartly.

“He is being a pain in the butt—sir.” Taylor replied tartly.

“Snake eater,” Lee said quietly but loudly enough so it carried to the back.

“Jar-head spook,” Taylor immediately retorted in a similar tone.

“You tell ’im, Taylor,” Young chimed in.

“Hey fellas—just cool it, OK?” Amanda warned.

“Yes ma’am,” all three replied.

They drove in silence for the rest of the day.

With the late start and the tornado, they limped into Amarillo close to 8pm. Everyone was tired and cranky. They had a quick dinner and they went to their rooms.

Just as she was getting into bed with her book, there was a knock on Amanda’s door. She checked and saw it was Lee. She put on her robe and invited him into the room.

“Hi Amanda,” he greeted her. “You doing OK? That was a long day, today.” His tone was mollifying—his version of an apology.

“Yeah, I’m OK. Pretty tired, but with a good night’s sleep, I’ll be fine in the morning.” She smiled at him, in acceptance of his “apology”.

“I just wanted to say, that was some good driving. Was that your first tornado?”

“Yeah,” she nodded, “first and, I hope, last. You see the pictures on TV, but you don’t really appreciate how big and powerful it is until you’re in the middle of it.”

“Yeah,” he agreed, “I’d never been in a tornado either before today.”

“Wow! First time for both of us.” Amanda smiled at Lee. “You sure you want to drive tomorrow?”

“Hey, the storm has passed—should be a piece of cake.”

“Except we go up into the mountains.”

“I think I can handle it, Amanda,” he said in a quiet tone and smiled back. “You get some rest. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night, Lee. Thank you.”