- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Babylon 5 and its characters belong to JMS and Warner Brothers. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks: Lynda, Alleycat and Ashley for all of your help and guidance. Ya’ll are the best.
Heart to Heart

February l4, 226l

Captain John Sheridan sat at his desk looking over tons of paperwork and reports that had accumulated in the last weeks of the war with the shadows. He glanced down at the report in his hand, wishing it were the bottom of the pile, but he had only made a small dent in what needed to be done. He leaned back in his chair, stretching his long body to get the kinks out of his back. He reflected on the peace that had befallen the station with their victory in the war. It was only the first step; they still had to deal with President Clark back on Earth. The last few days had been quiet; if things worked out they would stay that way for a little while longer.

More than anything, he wanted to spend more time with his fiancée, Delenn. Even though she was busy with her ambassadorial duties, they still managed to find the time to be together, but it was never enough for him. In fact, they had a date later tonight. Delenn had invited him to dinner in her quarters. One of the first questions he asked her was if Lennier, her attaché, was preparing the meal. He remembered the last time he had dinner in her quarters. He didn’t want to spend another evening in a long ritual. His face had broken into a huge grin when she told him she would be cooking dinner. Glancing at the work still left to be completed, he sighed. It was only 0900. He had ten hours before he was to meet Delenn at l900.

Pulling his seat back underneath his desk, he scanned the data crystal before him. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, he picked up the last flimsy. Completing and signing his name, he tossed it down. He picked up his copy of Universe Today that he had purchased in the Zocalo before coming to his office. He leaned back in his chair and put his feet up on his desk to relax. Wanting to find the latest baseball statistics, he started to peruse the paper. He had been elated when the baseball leagues wanted to play year round. There were so many teams now; it only made sense to play all the time. His eyes suddenly shifted to the top of the page where he noticed the date. Reality hit him head on, ‘Oh, shit, February l4th, Valentine’s Day. I don’t have a gift for Delenn. I’d better get my butt in gear,’ he thought to himself as he threw the paper onto his desk and stood up. He quickly exited his office, to make his way to the Zocalo.

Earlier that day, Delenn had also been shopping in the Zocalo, purchasing foods to prepare for dinner that evening. She found all the ingredients for flarn and several other dishes and was having them delivered to her quarters. She was now searching for fresh fruits. Spying a Brakiri vendor with a stall filled with fruits not far from where she was, she made her way to him through the crowd of shoppers, aliens and Humans. Taking her time, she finally selected oranges and strawberries from Earth and le’orchi from Minbar. John loved le’orchi, the first time he had eaten one he said they tasted like cherries and grapes all in one fruit. Paying the vendor she turned to leave when she saw a store run by an Earther. Humans were crowding its entrance. Walking toward the store she tried to figure out what the commotion was all about, when she literally bumped into Susan Ivanova.

“Oh, Susan, I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you.” Delenn told her apologizing for bumping into her.

“Don’t worry about it Delenn. It’s a madhouse here right now. Everyone wants to buy their Valentine’s Day gifts.” Susan said pointing to the throng of shoppers.

Delenn stood there for a moment, a perplexed look on her face, “Valentine’s Day. What is this? Valentine’s Day? Is it a holy day?” She asked not understanding.

Hearing Delenn’s questions, Susan could not imagine that John had not told her about the holiday. ‘Where was the captain’s sense of romance,’ Susan wondered to herself. “Delenn, John hasn’t told you about Valentine’s Day? I can’t believe he wouldn’t tell you about one of the most romantic days of the year. Come with me. Lets go sit down.” Taking Delenn by the arm, she guided her to a seat at an outdoor café. “Delenn, I’m going to tell you all about valentines and how we celebrate this day.”

Delenn smiled in return, “There is so much I still need to learn about human customs. Sometimes it seems like I will never learn them all. John says the same about Minbari rituals. I told him we would learn them together. Thank you for helping me, Susan.”

Susan sat down at the table across from Delenn, “My pleasure.” A waiter came to take their order and they each ordered tea. “I’m not sure where I should start in explaining all of this to you.” Susan stated as the waiter quickly delivered their order.

“I think at the beginning would be most helpful. Don’t you?” Delenn replied as she sipped her tea.

Susan laughed, “Absolutely correct. To start with Valentine’s Day is a day for lovers. When two people are in love, they buy each other gifts, flowers, candy, cards and other trinkets to say how much they love the other person in their lives. Just to say I love you. Sometimes the couple goes out for a romantic dinner and dancing, or one or the other makes them a special meal.” Susan explained to her as she drank her tea.

Delenn nodded, but she was still a little confused. What kinds of gifts are purchased for this ritual? John is already coming to my quarters for dinner tonight, I believe I can arrange a romantic setting.”

“I wouldn’t call it a ritual, Delenn. Wait; yes you could call it a ritual. I have an idea, why don’t I take you into the store and help you select some things for the captain?”

“I would greatly appreciate all the help you could provide me, Susan. Thank you.”

They both finished drinking their drinks. “Why don’t we save the thanks until later, after we’ve made your purchases.” Susan said as she pushed back her chair and stood up.

They made their way to the store entrance. Upon entering, Delenn was overwhelmed by the people crowding the aisles of the small store and the massive displays. Everywhere she turned to look she saw something different. Susan guided Delenn to a rack of cards, “These are cards I was telling you about that you give to your loved one. You look through them and pick out the one that expresses your feelings.” Susan said as she pointed to the display.

Delenn picked up a card to look at, not satisfied; she replaced it on the rack. She was amazed at the vast selection. “There are so many to choose from.” After what seemed like an eternity, she finally located the perfect card. She looked up at Susan smiling, “I’ve found the one I wish to give to John. Is there anything else that I need to purchase?”

Susan could not suppress a giggle, “Delenn we haven’t even started shopping yet.” Two hours later, they left the crowded store and made their way to the transport tube.

“Susan, I want you to know, I appreciate everything you have done for me today. If I had not run into you, I would have had no idea how special this day could be.”

“Have a fantastic time tonight. That’s all the thanks I need.” Susan said as they parted, each turning in different directions.

When Delenn returned to her quarters, she only had to wait a short time before her purchases were delivered. Joyfully, she unpacked all of the bags and boxes, putting the food in the kitchen. Susan had explained to her how to decorate; she went over to the cabinet where she kept her candles, picking out appropriate scents to set the atmosphere. She placed two on the center of the dinner table and others all around the room.

She prepared dinner; it was a simple one, which did not require a lot of time. Except for the flarn, which she prepared first. She washed and cut up the fruit, placing it in a bowl on the center of the table. Looking around, to make sure everything was ready, she went to shower and change her clothes. After taking a shower and drying her hair, she put on a white Minbari robe trimmed with gold. Sitting at the bar, she lovingly wrapped his gift with paper designed with red hearts all over it and signed his card.

It was l800 when John Sheridan finally made his way back to his quarters to prepare for his dinner with Delenn. He had spent the last three hours desperately trying to find a dozen, real, red roses. It seemed every flower stall he inquired at was sold out, unless you wanted fake, synthetic roses. He was about ready to give up his search entirely, when he happened by chance on the last vendor. He breathed a sigh of relief leaving the flower stall. Success. Finally he had the last dozen real roses on the station in his possession. Putting the flowers down on the table, he tenderly touched his other purchase with his fingertips. He closed and placed the small box next to the flowers; he didn’t want to lose it.

John walked into his bedroom and selected a pair of pants and shirt to wear from his closet. Tonight he would wear casual attire, no uniforms. He was officially off duty until the morning. He had told Susan earlier in the day, under penalty of spacing, he was not to be disturbed tonight for any reason. Taking off his link, he pulled a clean pair of boxers from his dresser drawer. He went into the bathroom for a shower and shave. Pulling on his pants and buttoning the last buttons on his shirt he noticed the time. He had l0 minutes to be at Delenn’s quarters in Green 2. Replacing his link on his right hand, he grabbed the roses and pocketed the small box. Departing in a hurry, he ran down the hallways of the station.

Delenn was also noticing the time. She hurriedly lit the candles and selected a station on the Babcom unit to play soft, romantic music. Back in the kitchen area, she put the finishing touches to their meal. After placing the silverware on the table, she heard her door chime. “Enter,” she said knowing it would be John.

John Sheridan entered Delenn’s quarters, trying to hide the roses behind his back. He stopped after taking a couple of long strides into the room. The room was aglow in candlelight and soft music was playing in the background. He cast his eyes upon his fiancée; she was dressed in one of the most dazzling robes he had ever seen. “Delenn, you’re beautiful,” he told her as his eyes scanned the length of her body.

“Thank you.” Delenn replied as she noticed John trying to hide something behind him. What are you attempting to hide behind your back?” She asked him trying to reach and to look around him to see what he was carrying.

He stood there, gazing at the beauty in front of him. Realization dawned upon him that he hadn’t told her what today was and he needed to rectify the situation immediately. He brought the flowers he held in his hand in front of him, “Delenn, today is a special day among Humans. A day for lovers to celebrate,” he informed her as he handed her the roses.

“John these are gorgeous. Thank you. Yes. I’ve already been told today is a special day,” she said as she inhaled their fragrance and caressed a petal with her fingers. She pricked her finger on a thorn and brought her fingertip to her lips to lick the small droplet of blood away. “John, these are real. You should not have spent so many credits on me.”

“Only real roses for the one I love, their price is not important.” He told her as he put his arm around her waist and brought his lips to hers in a gentle kiss. “Now, when did you find out today was a holiday? More importantly, how did you know the roses were real?”

“A little animal told me all about Valentine’s Day today,” she said as she turned and went to the kitchen to retrieve a vase for the roses.

John stood silently a moment trying to figure out what Delenn had said. Suddenly, it dawned on him what phrase she was trying to say. “A little bird. You mean a little bird told you. Does this little bird happen to have a name? No. Don’t tell me. I can guess. Susan Ivanova. Right?” He said with a chuckle in his voice, knowing that some human phrases she still had a little trouble getting correct.

Delenn ran water from the faucet filling the vase, “Yes, Susan told me all about today’s ritual. We also saw some roses and she explained the difference to me between real ones and synthetic ones.” She told him as she arranged the flowers.

John let out a groan of annoyance, “Ritual? Did she tell you it was a ritual?” Thinking to himself he may need a new second in command soon because he just may kill Ivanova.

Delenn moved the bowl of fruit aside and placed the flowers in the center of the table. “Not exactly. She did tell me it was a day for lovers to exchange gifts.”

John let out a sigh of relief; having been a little leery of what Susan may have told her. His stomach rumbled with hunger, he had not eaten lunch and was starving. “Dinner smells delicious. When do we eat?”

“Right now, if you wish. Sit down and I will serve you your dinner.”

John sat down on one the pillows arranged around the low table as Delenn placed a plate of food in front of him. He picked up his fork with his right hand, recalling the last time he had eaten in her quarters. They quickly ate dinner and afterwards he helped Delenn with cleaning up. He put the last dish away and took her hand in his and led her to the couch to sit down. “I have another gift for you,” he told her as he put his hand in his pants pocket and pulled out the small box.

“John. I don’t need anything else. You have already given me enough.”

“Yes. I do.” He told her as he sat down next to her and opened the box, extracting a necklace from its resting place. It was a gold, heart shaped, diamond necklace.

Delenn took it in her hands, and held it up, admiring the glint of the diamonds in the candlelight. “It’s a...?” She asked looking confused.

John saw the questioning look in her eyes and heard the confusion in her voice. He remembered when he gave her the engagement ring; she had the same confused expression. “It’s a necklace, you wear it around your neck,” he told her as he opened the clasp. “Turn around and hold your hair up so I can put it around your neck.”

Delenn shifted on the couch and held her hair up as John had instructed. He placed the necklace around her neck and closed the clasp lightly caressing her soft skin. He couldn’t resist the softness, as his lips moved over the area his fingers had caressed. She felt the soft touch of his lips as he kissed the nape of her neck. She turned around to face him and put her hand on his check caressing the side of his face. “Thank you.”

John picked the heart up, lovingly holding it between his fingers and looked deeply into her eyes. He let the necklace fall back gently to rest on her chest, “Now, my heart will always be next to yours,” he said as he brought his lips to hers in a passionate kiss.

As their lips parted, Delenn stood up to retrieve the package she had wrapped earlier. “It is your turn for gifts,” she told him as she handed him the box and sat back down next to him.

“You didn’t have to get me anything, Delenn.”

She caressed his lips with her fingertips, “Yes. I did. Susan said both partners give each other gifts. I would not want to go against tradition.”

John sat back and opened the card that was on top. He read the tender words and his heart swelled with the love he felt for Delenn. “I love you,” he told her as he gently touched her lips with his and placed the card down on the table. He unwrapped the box and pushed the paper aside. Nestled inside he found a pair of black, silk boxers with red hearts on it. He pulled them out of the box, held them up and looked at them. “You picked this out?” he questioned.

“I have to admit Susan aided me in their purchase. But I picked the card out by myself.” Delenn rose from the couch and stood in front of John. “Plus, there is a matching piece of clothing that goes with yours.” She told him as she unclasped her robe and let it fall to the floor.

Delenn stood before him clad in a matching nighty of black silk with red hearts. John let out a breath that he had no idea he been holding. He stared at the vision in front of him, and dropped the boxers from his hand. He rose from the couch and placed his hands around her waist, drawing her body into his. His hands felt the soft texture of the silk under his fingertips. “I’ll have to remember to thank Susan in the morning.” He bent to kiss her lips when he became aware of her hand resting on his chest, stopping him.

“I would like to see you wearing your gift. You may use the bathroom to change.” Delenn said as she pointed in the direction of her bedchambers.

John sighed and let go of her waist. He reached down on the couch to pick up the silk boxers, “to please you, I would do anything.” He kissed her quickly and went into the bathroom. He removed his clothes and pulled the boxers on. The feel of the silk on his already aroused penis made him gulp a deep breath. Taking another breath, he slid the bathroom door open walked out. He stood in the threshold between her bedchamber and the living room. He saw Delenn standing in the middle of the room reflected in the candlelight.

Delenn heard John leave the bathroom; she looked up to see him in the doorway clad in nothing but the silk boxers. She was still in awe of his body and what his body could do to hers. They had only been intimate a few times and each time was a new experience in pleasure. As John stepped before her, she admired his smooth chest. She loved the feel of him under her fingertips. Placing her hands on his chest, she ran her fingers along his rib cage.

Since their first time making love, John wanted to be with Delenn all of the time. He had been celibate for so long. Once they became lovers, he never wanted to be without her in his bed, her body next to his, always. But he knew she wanted to finish the rituals of her people. Therefore, he was trying to be patient. Patience was lost at the particular moment. He could see her nipples hard and erect through the silky material of her nighty. Her hands on his chest were only making him grow harder. He grabbed her around the waist and crushed her body to his, letting her feel his hard arousal pressed against her stomach. His lips met hers in a fiery kiss, his tongue teasing, asking for entrance.

Delenn moaned as she felt his tongue tease her lower lip, requesting entrance. She opened her mouth to his and felt his tongue caress the inside. Minbari did not kiss the way Humans kiss. John taught her the pleasures of kissing and other things that the mouth and lips could be used for. Her hand moved between their bodies to caress his hardened manhood through the silk boxers.

John felt her hand rubbing him and moved his lips to her neck. He kissed along her neckline, gently alternating kisses and love bites. Kissing his way back up to her earlobe, he ran his tongue along the outside as his fingertips caressed her bone crest. He was amazed the first time he felt her bone crest. It was softer than he had imagined, the ridges an erogenous zone.

Delenn’s breathing became labored as she felt him caress her bone crest. She edged her hand under the waistband of his boxers, running her hand up and down his engorged penis.

John put his hand on Delenn’s arm, stopping her movements and looked into her eyes. He caressed her check with his hand, “I want you.” He tenderly kissed her shoulder, as he slipped the straps of the nighty down her arms, letting it fall to a puddle on the floor at her feet. He put his hands around the waistband of his boxers and slid them off, kicking them to the side. Leaning down, he took the pillows they had sat on for dinner and arranged them like a bed. He took her hands in his and gently lowered her to the floor, taking possession of her mouth in a tongue-dancing kiss.

Delenn grabbed his buttocks, squeezing each cheek with her fingers. She moved her hands up his back running her nails along his skin, until her hands were embedded in his hair.

John kissed his way down her neck to the valley between her breasts. He kneaded one breast with his hand as his lips captured the nipple of her other breast between his teeth. He playfully bit and sucked on the hard nubbin. He moved his lips to her other breast, going back and forth between them, giving equal attention to both. His other hand made its way between their bodies to her mound, where he teased the tiny hairs with his fingertips. The first time he had seen her naked, he noticed she barely had any hair on her body. Except for her luxurious head of hair, she was practically hairless. On her mound were soft, tiny hairs, hardly noticeable. He parted her outer lips and teased her swollen clit with his fingertip, before he plunged a finger deep into her hot, wet core.

Delenn gasped as she felt John’s finger enter her. She was already dripping wet, his finger dipped in and out of her easily. Delenn thrust her hips up to met his plunging finger, and felt him insert a second finger inside her core. His thumb teased her swollen pleasure nub, as he fingers penetrated her body. “John I want to feel your lips on me,” she told him, moaning.

John did not hesitate. He loved to taste her sweet essence. He took his lips from the nipple of her breast, giving it one last flick with his tongue. He kissed his way down her ribcage to the top of her mound. He flicked his tongue out teasing her clitoris, his fingers still thrusting into her, driving her mad with desire. John knew it would not take long for her to go over the edge. Delenn never could last long once he started teasing her center of pleasure with his tongue. He felt her inner muscles start to contract around his fingers with the onset of her orgasm. He sucked on her swollen pleasure bud harder and alternated teasing it with his tongue. Feeling her juices around his fingers, he moved his tongue to lap them up as she came in screaming ecstasy.

Delenn trembled with the aftermath of her orgasm. She loved what John did to her with his mouth. Minbari did not do such things. She had been hesitant at first, but the feelings that John elicited from her body were explosive. Her body turned to hot liquid every time and she had quickly learned the oral pleasures that both of them could provide the other. “I would like to return the pleasure,” Delenn told him.

John’s penis was throbbing; he wanted to feel her lips around his shaft. “I want to feel your mouth on me,” he told her as he hungrily kissed her and repositioned himself so that he was now lying underneath Delenn.

Delenn kissed him wildly, moving her lips along his neck to suck on his earlobe. Her fingers ran along his chest, tweaking his hardened nipples. Her lips soon followed the path of her hands, as she sucked on each nub. Her hand enclosed his throbbing penis. She ran her thumb along the tip, spreading the moisture that had escaped. She slowly ran her hand up and down the length of him. Delenn cupped his testicles with her hand, gently squeezing the sacs. She moved her hand up his pulsing member, pumping up and down his length. She watched, as his engorged shaft seemed to grow even larger and harder. It still awed her how huge his organ could become under her ministrations.

Suddenly, she felt his hand on hers. “Delenn. Stroke gently.”

“Oh, John. I am so sorry. I forget how strong I am sometimes.” She apologized as she loosened her grip slightly and moved her mouth to the tip of his penis to tease it with her tongue.

“No apologies,” John groaned as he felt her mouth on his pulsing erection. He felt her tongue flick out and tease the sides of his shaft. Then her mouth engulfed him, as she took him all in, moving up and down from the tip to the base. Delenn swirled her tongue around the head and continued pumping him with her hand, making him throb with ecstasy.

“Delenn. I’m going to cum if you don’t stop.” He barely managed to squeak out. He knew if she kept up the motions, it would be all over and quickly.

Delenn stopped for a moment, and looked up at John. She continued stroking him with her hand, “Is that not the objective? For you to, as you say, come?”

John was almost ready to lose himself to his orgasm, but by her removing her mouth from his penis he was able to bring himself slightly under control. “Yes. But I want to cum inside you.” He turned Delenn over onto her back and moved so that he was on top of her. He took one of the pillows and placed it under her hips. The pillow would angle her body so that he would be able to penetrate her deeply. His lips met hers in a fiery kiss, as he placed the tip of his penis to her entrance and slowly penetrated her.

Delenn moaned as she felt him enter her. She met his thrust and gasped as she felt him deep inside her. He would pull almost completely out, before embedding himself once again into her. Soon they found their rhythm, matching thrust for thrust, going deeper each time.

John was once again close to his orgasm; he had never been so deeply inside Delenn. The feeling was exhilarating. He wanted Delenn to experience another orgasm, so he shifted his body slightly on an upward stroke. When he thrust inward his penis slid over her swollen clit, rubbing the hardened nubbin. He thrust faster, harder and deeper with each stroke. John felt her vaginal muscles start to contract around him. He closed his eyes and with one last powerful thrust he released himself deep inside her, screaming her name.

Delenn felt John explode inside her; she raked her fingernails over his back, as another powerful orgasm overtook her.

They lay there cuddled together on the pillows on the living room floor, in the aftermath of their lovemaking. “Happy Valentine’s Day. I love you.” John said as he gently stroked her chin with his fingertip and kissed her lips.

Delenn returned his kiss, “I love you too. I do have one question. Why does this cupid want to shoot people with arrows? Is that not cruel to want to shoot someone?

John let out a hearty laugh, “I’ll tell you all about cupid in the morning. I think it’s time for you and I to rest and sleep.”

Delenn laid her head on his shoulder and put her hand on his chest. “Goodnight, My Love,” she said as she snuggled into his body.

During the night, as the two lovers slept, John bumped the table with his leg. The card that had been sitting atop of it, fell to the floor opening so that the words could be read.

You’re the one whose touch
I can’t get enough of, whose tenderness
I long for, whose embrace I live for
You’re the one who kisses me with a passion
I’ve never known before
Whose eyes see into the very depths of my soul
You make my days brighter
And my night’s dreams come true
You’re my one and only love

History awaits. I love you.