- Text Size +
Billy’s Case Files part 9

by Ermintrude

See part one for disclaimers

After Fearless Dotty April 5, 1984
Billy was once again reviewing reports. It sure felt good nailing Karlo. The man was scum, pure and simple. Though how Amanda – correction – Amanda's mother managed to get mixed up in the whole thing... Genetics. It must run in the family.

The hair salon was a major expense. But thankfully nobody was hurt—which was a miracle considering the place was full of civilians. And Lee was being more considerate of Amanda. What he went through to get that Captain Galaxy for Amanda's son. He pulled in a lot of favors and even asked his uncle the Colonel for help with the Air Force transport. But it arrived in time. And the book also. Of course Billy was happy to help; he had daughters and understood how important birthdays were. But the thought of Lee Stetson going all out for a child's birthday present! It was just something Billy would have never envisioned six months ago. Even for one of his girlfriends – though heaven knows Lee never dated any woman with children. He's certainly not dating Amanda King – but he is partnered with her.

Just six short months, what a turnaround for Scarecrow! From heavily stressed out and practically suicidal back to top agent and also partner and mentor to a suburban housewife with two young boys. And the partnership works! Sometimes we all wonder how – but it works. Their solve rate is still amazing. Scarecrow had been shot a couple of times, knifed; Amanda was in a car crash, mugged, kidnapped a few times – OK they had not escaped totally unscathed, but there was nothing fatal or permanently debilitating. As section chief, Billy knew injury was a price most agents paid. Hell, a year without at least one death was rare. It was a dangerous business they all were in. And still Amanda King stuck with it. With Scarecrow. Billy had no illusions – it was Lee Stetson that kept Mrs. King coming back. I wonder if Lee knows how lucky he is to have handed her that package back last October. Lee's still on the dating circuit – the steno pool still talks about his exploits. But he seems to confine his activities mostly to weekends these days. There have been fewer late mornings, showing up looking much the worse for wear. Granted, the man would never win awards for morning punctuality, but he was taking better care of himself and definitely indulged in fewer all-nighters, burning the candle at both ends. ‘I wonder where he spends his evenings these days? Scarecrow isn't the stay at home and watch TV type. He does some of the parties and bars, but fewer than before. Where is he on his 'off' nights? He's toned it down a notch. That's good, he's 34 and he can't keep up that playboy pace forever.’ Scarecrow would never settle down in domestic bliss, but just to see him toning it down was a big relief to Billy. Too many chances to get himself killed being with a different woman every night. Not to mention the potential security risks.

Mrs. King was another dynamic entirely. As long as she stayed unmarried, Billy could count on her working with Lee. But if she married again... She could possibly still work at the Agency, but Billy knew her field days would be over. Unless she got used to field work on her own. Maybe he could give her a few low-level assignments, give her the confidence that she could do the work without Lee. Billy would watch out for something that might suit a solo Amanda King. ‘Have to make sure my best team stays together.’

At the start of Weekend April 23, 1984
Billy and Lee were in the Agency, staring at a screen full of unavailable female agents’ names. Francine had just left with a toothache, and they were pondering finding a replacement to accompany Lee to the Cumberland.

“Y’know Billy, I don’t need a special agent for this. I just need somebody with the right security clearance.” Lee turned to his boss with a knowing look.

Billy met his look. ‘Is Lee suggesting who I think he is? On his own?’ Billy didn’t let his thoughts show as he answered. “Yes, that’s right.” He waited for his best agent to make the suggestion himself.

“Well, Amanda has the requisite clearance.”

“That’s true.”

“And she’s someone I can call on at short notice.”

Billy checked his watch. “Well you’d better get going, then. You need to be there by 5 o’clock.”

Back in his office, Billy pondered what had just transpired. ‘Lee Stetson volunteered to take Amanda with him on a weekend assignment at the Cumberland. Will wonders never cease?’ He shook his head in disbelief. ‘I knew he was getting more comfortable working with her. He used her to help catch Viktor and Benson. But I helped by pushing her at him on that one. This time he suggested her on his own. Without an argument. I do believe our Scarecrow is finally becoming accustomed to working with his partner.’

Billy smiled. ‘I wonder how Amanda will take it when she learns they are going in as newlyweds? And if Scarecrow will end up regretting it? Some days I wish I was doing surveillance on them. Then I’d get the whole story, and not just what they put in their reports. But this way, I can try to figure it out by myself. It keeps my observation skills sharp.’

‘For a top agent, Scarecrow is remarkably dense about himself. Does Lee realize what he just did? Probably not—he’s fixated on getting the job done. And he’ll probably tell her it was my idea anyhow. He may not even realize what he just did.’ Billy chuckled and sat back in his chair with a smug look. ‘But I do. Melrose, some days things just work out right. And that day at the train station was one of those days for you, Scarecrow, Mrs. King and the Agency.’

And Billy closed his eyes, stretched his hands behind his head and smiled in sheer satisfaction. ‘Some days, I sure do love my job!’

After Waiting For Godorsky May 7, 1984
Billy placed the paper commendations signed by Princess Valoskaya into Scarecrow’s and Mrs. King’s personal files. ‘It may not be official, but things like this always look good in an agent’s file. And especially in the file of a civilian auxiliary.’

Amanda King’s file was pretty thick—thicker than any other civilian auxiliary—and she’d been with the Agency less than a year. Yes, but what a year! From unknowing unsuccessful mule to partner with his top agent and half of his best team. ‘She is some woman. Scarecrow certainly knows how to pick ‘em.’

Only this woman hadn’t been chosen by Scarecrow for his usual purposes. Billy was certain he hadn’t slept with her—or more properly that she hadn’t slept with him. He thought back to the previous September when he had despaired for his top agent. He remembered the prayer he had made for a new partner for Scarecrow—‘someone none of us would ever expect’. Well his prayer had been answered, and Billy and the Agency had gotten more than he had hoped for. Not only had Amanda King managed to make Scarecrow a better, more cautious agent, she was a valuable asset in and of herself. Her secretarial skills were amazing. Her ability to get more out of a simple surveillance tape than most anyone else was a godsend. And even Scarecrow admitted she was a whiz at the paperwork, and the rest of the administration had breathed a sigh of relief when she had taken over his reports and expense sheets.

‘Yes, our Scarecrow picked her out of the crowd—but I was the one who helped and encouraged the unconventional partnership. Hopefully, it will last long into the future.’ Billy raised his coffee cup—‘To you, Amanda. I hope you’re getting as much out of this as the rest of us are. Because this place would certainly be less without you. Thank you for sticking with it—with him.’