- Text Size +
Billy’s Case Files

By Ermintrude

See part 1 for disclaimers

Part 35

Do You Take This Spy? February 13, 1987

Billy was back at his desk after wrapping up the Nick Grant case. He shook his head. ‘This must be some sort of cosmic payback—Nick Grant finally falls in love for real, and she plays him for a sucker. Well, Felicia McMasters will be spending quite a bit of time in prison.’

Billy’s mind shifted gears. ‘Lee and Amanda seemed awfully eager to start their ‘trips’ today. They even left before finishing the paperwork—though Amanda had finished everything as far as she could before they left in the limo.’ He glanced down at the partially finished report and notes Amanda had left on his desk before they had dressed and made their way to McMasters’ estate earlier in the afternoon.

‘They left together. Fast.’ He recalled her words to her partner. “Quarter of—you think we can make it?” ‘Obviously they had some pressing appointment they had to make in time. But what—and where? I could trace the limo—but that would be invading their privacy. I wonder if they are actually taking the plunge? On Friday the thirteenth?’ He shrugged. ‘Considering what they’ve been through in the past couple of months—I guess they don’t care about anything except finally getting away together.’

He smiled and mentally raised a toast to his favorite team. ‘Congratulations you two. I hope you have a wonderful vacation—together!’



Mission of Gold February 20, 1987

Monday early afternoon, Billy was in his office with Francine, his assistant. They had been working out the duty roster for the next few weeks. It was a difficult week with both Lee and Amanda gone on their trips. So Billy and Francine were strategizing on filling the gap in their manpower the absence of his best team caused.

The phone rang—and it was Lee. The conversation was brief and extremely disturbing. Amanda had been shot—in California. Lee had been contacted by Dotty and was now on scene. Her condition was critical and it was touch and go. Dotty was coming out ASAP. Billy promised Lee he’d get whatever resources the Agency could muster and told his top agent to keep them in the loop.

Once Francine left—Billy started thinking. ‘He says Dotty contacted him—but how did Dotty know to get ahold of him? I just wonder…’ Billy called a friend at the phone company—the same friend who had ‘loaned’ him the pole truck when he was watching Cyclops.

“Hey Clyde.” Billy started his investigation.

“Hey Billy—what’s up?”

“Clyde—I need a bit of quick and quiet trace on calls to and from a number in Arlington—the past 12 hours.” He gave Clyde Amanda’s home number.

Billy heard a bit of tapping and a few musical tones on the line. “Got it. What are you looking for?”

“I want to know if there were any calls from California.”

“From California—yes. At 12:32 pm local time—that’s 9:32 am California time. From a small seaside community—Las Palmas. You want the local number? It was from a pay phone—located in the hospital.” He gave Billy the number.

‘A pay phone? That’s interesting.’ Billy thought. He then asked his contact. “What was the next call?”

“The next call was to an airline. It lasted approximately 20 minutes. Then another call to a local number—a business—the Emergency Aid Organization.”

“I see. Any others?”

“Yeah a few—all local calls. Residential.”

“I see. Any calls before that one from California?” Billy wanted to be sure.

“Not today. There were a couple last night—you want those?”

“No thanks—so the call from the pay phone in the hospital in Las Palmas was the first call today?”

“Yes. And the rest have all been outgoing since that first call.”

“Thank you Clyde, I really appreciate this. I owe you one.” Billy hung up and mused. ‘Someone called the house from a pay phone in Las Palmas’ hospital. And then Dotty called the airline—presumably to make a reservation—and then Joe to watch the boys while she’s out of town. I’m guessing it was Lee that contacted Dotty—and not the other way around. I knew they were going on vacation together—and that’s great—except somehow Amanda ended up shot and in critical condition in a California hospital. But Amanda’s not the type to go off on vacation with anyone—not the type of vacation Scarecrow takes—unless they were married. And now I’ve got to track that down—because if something does happen to her—God forbid—I have to have all my ducks in a row to deal with the consequences. I had hoped they would come to me and tell me what they were planning—and maybe they were going to after they got back. But I need to know now.’

Billy called down to research. “I need to trace any charges on Lee Stetson’s credit cards since Thursday. Top priority—but keep it quiet.”

“One moment sir.” Billy heard himself being put on hold by the woman who had answered. He busied himself with paperwork until the line clicked again. “I have charges for a room and meals at the Crystal Springs Inn in Marion County Virginia. Then a rental car at LAX.”

“Thank you—send me the particulars and I’ll sign off on the log on this one. Keep this ‘eyes only’ and notify me if anyone else makes a similar request—got it?”

“Yes sir. ‘Eyes only’—and nobody knows but us two.”

“Thanks.” He hung up and immediately dialed another number.

“T Percival Aquinas, at your service.”

“Hello, TP, It’s Billy Melrose.”

“Well Hello! I’m guessing this isn’t a social call.”

“No it isn’t. I need someone to do a bit of legwork—but unofficially, if you get my meaning.”

“I see. Would you like to share a late lunch?”

“Yes—as soon as possible.”

TP suggested his favorite ice cream parlor and Billy met him about 30 minutes later. TP was enjoying some sort of multi-hued sundae with a generous amount of whipped cream on top.

“Hello TP.”

“Hello Billy—are you interested in a sundae? They are amazingly inspirational.”

“No thanks—my wife would kill me. I’m supposed to be on a diet.” He patted his stomach. He slipped TP a manila envelope. “I need you to go to Marion County and check out the Crystal Springs Inn—and also anyone who might have performed a wedding there—on Friday or over the weekend.”

TP opened the envelope and peeked inside. He saw a picture of Lee and Amanda. He closed the envelope and nodded to Billy. “I can see why you might want to keep this unofficial.”

“My home number is in there. I should be home after 6 or so.”

“I’ll get right on this—I had hoped something might be brewing—but our boy keeps things so close to the vest. Why are you checking now?”

Billy sighed. There was no good way to break the news. “There’s been a shooting—out in California. Amanda was shot and she’s in the hospital. It’s touch and go.”

“Mrs. King—ah well I suppose it’s still Mrs. King until we know officially—she was shot? In California? Were they on a case?—of course if I have no need to know…” He looked concerned.

“They weren’t on a case. Scarecrow told me Amanda’s mother contacted him—but in reality he called her. They went out there together—on vacation.” Billy’s heart contracted at the implications—they were on their honeymoon and Amanda had been shot. This was not looking good for Lee.

“Oh dear. That’s most unfortunate.” TP looked grave.

“Anything you can do to keep this under wraps would be greatly appreciated.”

“I owe them both a lot—after clearing me of the murder charges for Ramon Peralta. I’ll leave right away and call you this evening with whatever I find. I’ll get you proof—if there is any. And I’ll do whatever it takes to keep this quiet—short of expunging the records. However you never know—official records can so often be mis-filed in these small towns…” TP smiled a small sneaky smile.

“Just don’t let anyone know what you’re doing.”

“Melrose, I am the soul of discretion. And I’ll say a prayer or two for Mrs. King’s recovery. She doesn’t deserve this.”

“Neither of them do. I’ll await your call. Thanks, TP.”

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Late that evening, Billy answered the phone at his home.

“Melrose here.”

“Ah, Billy. I have had a delightful evening here in rural Virginia. Magistrate Tagsworth was a charming dinner companion. He related a tale of a couple—not young—in their 30’s who were his last wedding on Friday. They were late—but not too late. They managed to make it in time and he married them Friday afternoon—about 5:45pm. I have copies of the paperwork to confirm. I also managed to allow him to give me access to the county records tomorrow. I’m researching Civil War era genealogies—and it seems this was one of the few courthouses that was spared during the war.”

“I see. Send me all the receipts for your little excursion—I’ll be happy to cover any expenses you’ve incurred.”

“Yes—shall we meet again—say Thursday? For lunch?”

“Right. Thursday it is. Melrose out.”

Billy sat back and thought long and hard. ‘Well congratulations to you Amanda! You managed to make an honest man out of our Scarecrow. Good for you! And I’ll still back them to the hilt as my best team. I won’t let Smyth or anyone break them up as long as they want to stay partners. The guardian angel that brought them together has to keep her alive, if there is a God. I just hope and pray that she can recover fully and be back in the field with him as soon as she’s able. She will recover—their luck has held for over three years—so it will hold now. I have to believe that.’

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Tuesday and Wednesday were tense—everyone in the unit was seemingly awaiting news of Amanda’s condition. No change was the continual report.

Francine had coordinated information with the hospital’s billing office, and made a friend who was filling her in on the latest information as it came down. She told Billy and he let the rest of his unit know.

When Amanda coded late Wednesday everyone was tense. Then they heard—she had been revived and was alive—though still in critical condition. Billy noticed people from all over the Agency were casually dropping by the bullpen, asking about Amanda’s condition. ‘She is certainly a popular person here. She makes friends with everyone she meets. She’s got to pull through this. Because if she dies—I lose two agents. And that just isn’t right. So she has to pull through—please God—let her pull through.’

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Early Thursday Lee got a break in the case. He managed to tie Amanda’s shooting to a phony doubloon scam that was a cover for the Harper’s Ferry gold heist from the Federal Reserve a couple years back. Scott had been suspected then—but the gold had never surfaced. Now it had—in the form of gold doubloons supposedly found off the coast of California. He managed to nail Scott and get him behind bars.

Billy thought back to Scarecrow’s call earlier in the day. “It’s always been Amanda and me. She’s got enough to do right now.” Lee had sounded tired but determined. ‘He’s managing to hold it together. Working this case is probably the best thing for him. He’s not the type to be able to sit and wait in a hospital. And Dotty is there to be with Amanda.’ Billy shook his head. ‘What a change—‘It’s always been Amanda and me.’ No it hasn’t ‘always been Amanda and me’—it wasn’t that long ago he’d have screamed to high heaven if anyone characterized it as ‘always Amanda and him.’ He used to be the consummate loner. And now look at the man—he’s newly married and going all out to catch the man who shot his new bride. I just hope his new bride survives. She’s still alive—her doctor said she’s a fighter—and a fighting spirit is often what makes the difference in these cases. Keep fighting, Amanda. You will make it. You have to make it. For Lee’s sake—for all our sakes.’

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Thursday at lunch, Billy met with TP. TP passed him a manila envelope. Billy peeked inside and saw an official copy of a marriage license. Lee Hamilton Stetson and Amanda West King were the names listed. He didn’t need to see any more.

“I managed to get a lot of research done on some of the Civil War era families in the area. Are you aware that a family named Stetson had holdings in the area?”

“Really?” Billy was surprised. He knew Lee’s father had been from an old family with roots to the Civil War and beyond. But in the Marion area?

“It seems to have been a cadet branch.” TP answered Billy’s unasked question. “At any rate—a certain document may have been placed with those records. It has been officially filed—so the marriage is legal—but anyone looking for proof will have to do a whole lot of digging to find it. And the photograph at the Magistrate’s office has mysteriously disappeared along with the negative.” TP tapped the manila envelope to indicate where those items had ended up.

“That’s good work. I presume your receipts are also in there?”

“What receipts? I had a delightful few days—I did some valuable research and had a pleasant drive down and back. Think of all this as a wedding gift to the happy couple.” He smiled. Then his demeanor turned serious. “How is Mrs. King? Any change in her condition?”

Billy sighed. “She’s still alive and holding her own. She coded yesterday but she was revived and is no worse.”

“But no better either, it would seem. I’ll keep praying for her. They have an amazing amount of luck—so I am confident she’ll pull through.” TP tried to put the best face on the situation.

“Yes—she’ll pull through.” Billy hoped he sounded more confident than he felt.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Late Thursday evening Billy received a call at his home. It was Lee.

“Billy—she’s regained consciousness. She’s going to be OK.” He sounded like a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

“That’s great. How is her mother doing?” ‘Your new mother-in-law.’ Billy thought with great amusement.

“Dotty’s all full of plans to get Amanda up and back on her feet.”

“That’s good. What’s her prognosis?”

Lee sighed. “It will take time. She’s got to stay here for a few weeks at least—she can’t take a plane trip just yet. Dotty will stay out here—I guess Joe and a couple of Amanda’s aunts are all lined up to take care of the boys until Dotty can return to DC. Hopefully with Amanda. After that—it will be a while before she’s back to full strength. But she will recover—it will just take some time.” He sounded determinedly hopeful.

“That’s good. Maybe I can send some of the written class material out there for her to study while she convalesces. She’s almost done with her training.”

“Yeah—that might be nice—but we’ll have to hide it from Dotty.”

“I’ll see what I can do about that. Oh, and don’t worry about the insurance—Francine’s made all the arrangements—there will be no out-of-pocket costs for Amanda.”

“Gee, tell her thanks—I hadn’t thought about any of that.”

“You had other things to think about.”

“Yeah.” He paused for a moment. “Billy—I’ll admit—I was scared. What if I had lost her…”

“We can’t play ‘what if’, Scarecrow. She’s fine, and that’s what you have to concentrate on now. Helping her get well again.” Billy sounded matter-of-fact—but he realized Lee needed that sort of reassurance. Not playing to his fears.

“Yeah. You’re right there. Say—about my vacation time…”

“You’re due back in the office on Monday.”

“Is there any way I can stretch my vacation out another week at least?” Lee pleaded.

Billy smiled and thought—‘how times have changed.’ He replied. “I guess under the circumstances I can grant you some more time. How long you’ll get—I can’t make any promises. I’ll let you know. Oh—and Amanda’s on medical leave as of last Monday—so she still has that week of vacation she had planned on taking.”

“Thanks, Billy. She’ll probably want to take it later sometime…”

“Probably.” He replied dryly. ‘They’ll want to have some sort of honeymoon after she’s recovered. They only had the weekend before she was shot.’

“Look, I’ve gotta go. I’ll say goodnight to Amanda for you before going back to Barney’s. Dotty is staying in the local motel. It’s right by the hospital. I’ll call tomorrow and give you any more information I can get.”

“Keep me apprised. And tell Amanda we were all pulling for her. I imagine the flowers and cards will start coming fast and furious now that she’s out of the woods.”

“Tell everyone thanks—for both of us.”

“Will do.” They hung up.

Billy breathed a deep sigh of relief. ‘She’s going to recover. Thank God for that. Lee will be gone another week—more changes in the duty roster—and Amanda will probably be out at least two months. Then light duties until she’s finally cleared for active status. But my best team will be back to duty soon enough. I can keep Lee on light solo work until she returns. And I’d better plan on him being in California every weekend until she returns home. Maybe I can see to giving him a few light assignments out there. Our LA bureau could use a lookover—and he’d be a good one to size up the operation out there. Do an informal assessment of that office. Maybe I can still get some useful work out of him while she’s there. Because his heart will be out in California until she returns home.’

Billy bowed his head and breathed a fervent prayer of thanks that Amanda would recover.