- Text Size +
Billy’s Case Files

By Ermintrude

See part 1 for disclaimers

Part 34

Bad Timing February 6, 1987

Billy had just arrived at his office. He opened the door to see Amanda sitting in front of his desk.

“Good morning, sir.” She greeted him with a smile.

“Good morning, Amanda—to what do I owe this early morning visit from you?”

“Well sir—I need to get Lee into Doc Kelford first thing.”

“Why is that?”

“He was mugged on the way home last night. He wouldn’t let me take him to a hospital—but he needs to be checked out. He got a big bump on his head.”

“I see. Lee has the Counter-Intelligence conference this morning.”

“I know. But he really needs to get checked out. I just have a feeling about it…” She wrung her hands and looked worried.

Billy smiled reassuringly. “I’ll postpone the meeting for an hour. Once he arrives, you get him in to see the doctor. That should be enough time for him to check Lee out.”

Amanda smiled in relief. “Thank you sir. It’s just that he won’t go in on his own, and if you help—well—then he has to go in to see the doctor.”

“I can make it an order if you’d like.”

“Hopefully that won’t be necessary—but I’ll call you if it is.” Amanda smiled and left.

Billy sat at his desk. ‘It must be pretty bad for Amanda to insist like that and have me postpone the meeting. Her hunches have paid off in the past—so I’ll go along with this one. At the very least—the man gets checked out and we lose an hour.’ He turned to the morning reports and put Scarecrow out of his mind.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Late in the afternoon, Dr. Kelford called Billy down to his lab.

“Doc Kelford—what do you have?” Billy was wary—this couldn’t be good.

“I examined Scarecrow this morning first thing. His partner brought him in and insisted he get checked out.”

Billy nodded. “She came to me and told me she was planning on that.”

“Good thing she did. I found a needle mark on his right thigh. I tested his blood and it seems he’s been injected with PD2—it’s a Russian germ warfare bug. A variant on pneumonic plague. It’s a nasty one. Per standard procedure, I’ve called in Dr. McJohn—in the germ warfare unit. He’s qualified to deal with this. I’m not.”

“What’s the prognosis?” Billy’s heart sank as he asked.

“I’m not sure—but I think it’s 100% fatal unless an antidote is administered. And so far as I know—we don’t have the antidote. But McJohn will tell you more. He’s coming here to debrief you. Time is of the essence in this.”

Billy nodded slowly. “Thank you for your help. At least we know what we’re dealing with now.”

“Please let Scarecrow know—I’m sorry.”

Billy nodded his acknowledgment as he left. ‘PD2. 100% fatal without an antidote. My best agent—half of my best team and he is a walking dead man. How do I break it to him? I’ll have to make the arrangements for Mrs. McMurty’s. Maybe I can let Amanda be there with him. Some comfort that will be. But if he’s going to die—at least she can be with him in his last few hours.’

Billy went to his office and checked—McJohn would be by in a couple of hours. ‘I have to tell Lee about this and get him in for this meeting.’ He picked up the phone—then put it back down.

‘This sort of news shouldn’t come over the phone. I’ll give it to him in person—and drive him back to the Agency. He’ll have to go into quarantine immediately afterward.’ Billy bowed his head. ‘They’re planning on getting married—I know it. Why does this have to happen now? She may end up a widow before they’ve had the chance to tie the knot.’

He sighed heavily, and holstered his weapon. ‘I’ll stop by his place, but he won’t be there. So I’ll drive over to Amanda’s and get Lee back here. Her family is out of town for the weekend—and he’ll be at her place. I don’t even have to call to check. They aren’t bothering to hide it anymore.’ He got up and made his way out to pick up his best agent—possibly for the last time.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

After Lee had left Billy’s office to tell Amanda waiting up in the Q Bureau, Billy got on the phone. First he made the arrangements for Lee to be quarantined at Mrs. McMurty’s. There was no problem allowing Amanda to be with him until he became contagious. Then he would have to be isolated. Once that was arranged, he rousted Edna DiAngelo in personnel with a phone call to her home.

“Edna—it’s Billy Melrose. I need a big favor—and time is of the essence.”

“What has happened?” She sounded a bit fuzzy—he had awakened her—but she was willing to listen.

“I can’t give you any of the details—it’s need-to-know.”

“When isn’t it need-to-know? What do you want me to do?”

“I need you to prepare as quickly as possible all the paperwork for Lee Stetson. He wants to assign a beneficiary for his life insurance policy—pension—all his financial holdings—the works.”

“How quickly are we talking here?”

“Hours—if this could be finished by noon—I would be very grateful.”

“Normally it would take days—but because he started the ball rolling a few months ago—I have everything right in my computer and up-to-date. I can come in early and print it all out. I’ll call you when everything is ready. From your tone—I’m guessing things aren’t looking good.”

“I can’t give you any details—but unofficially—no it isn’t good.”

She sighed. “I’m sorry to hear that. I’ll do all I can for him.”

“Thanks Edna—I owe you on this one.”

Billy hung up the phone. ‘This is a hell of a way to die. No way is good—but this is one of the worst. Poison, germ warfare, this stuff is the dirtiest. Facing an enemy—getting shot—at least you have a fighting chance there. But dying because of something in your body—something you can’t see or fight. I just hope Amanda won’t give up. She will have enough time to grieve after it’s all over—if he doesn’t survive. We still have a chance—but it doesn’t look good.’ He checked once again to make sure he had covered all the bases. Then he left to go up to the Q Bureau.

As he crossed the bullpen he was stopped by Francine.

“Billy—I have some information on Scarlet Rose.”

“What?”

“I called around—rattled some cages—and I managed to find out the head of the group is Anatoli Doneck. He took it over three years ago. He’s ramped up their research with an emphasis on developing pathogens that spread but break down after a few generations of transmission. Apparently he doesn’t want to start another world-wide epidemic. Still, they have managed to develop quite a few deadly bugs—most of which are passed from a carrier with no symptoms. Once the carrier gets sick—the damage has already been done and the germ has been passed around.”

“Lee tangled with Doneck a few years back.”

“Yes he did. We thought the man had been put out to pasture—but apparently he just moved over into germ warfare.”

“Good work, Francine. At least we now know who we’re fighting against. Get me any information about Doneck’s whereabouts and anything else you can find out about this PD2.”

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Back in his office, Billy called Francine back in.

“Francine, Lee said he saw someone who used a cane and ran with a limp when he was mugged. Check it out. It might be Doneck. If he’s here in DC he’s probably overseeing this field test of PD2. I want to know when he arrived, where he’s staying and what he’s having for breakfast.”

“Got it.” She left.

‘Amanda looked so forlorn. But she’s holding up well. After three years I expect no less. This has to be a massive blow to her. Planning a wedding—and now she’s contemplating a funeral. If Scarecrow dies—will she be able to carry on? Will she want to continue here at the Agency? She’s a good agent—even if she hasn’t graduated from the freshman classes yet. But Lee is her heart. They are so much in love—will she be able to continue if he dies? If it were Amanda looking at death—I know Scarecrow won’t survive another loss like this. His field days would be over for sure.’

‘Amanda is at the start of her career. Will she want to continue? She’s worked so hard to get where she is. All I can do is hope—hope that Lee survives—somehow. And if he doesn’t survive—I can still hope Amanda will want to stay with us. She’s an asset I don’t want to lose—even if we do lose her partner.’

Billy shook his head and got back on track. ‘I can’t think that way—I have to work with what I have—and right now we have to track Doneck—find out how we can get the antidote to PD2—and pray to God that we get a miracle and Lee Stetson comes out of this one alive.’

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Billy thought furiously as he drove to the meeting place Lee had designated. I should have checked the man before he left for Mrs. McMurty’s—frisked him and removed any gadgets he managed to squirrel away—I thought he’d stay there—especially with Amanda with him. Apparently she isn’t following the rules anymore—at least when it doesn’t suit her. She learned that from Scarecrow. Damn! He’s looking at another D1—unless I can manage to hold the dogs off a bit longer. He only has’—Billy looked at his watch—‘a little more than 13 hours left.’ He sighed. ‘I hope he’s managed to come up with something that will allow me to justify allowing him out in the world. Because otherwise I’ll have to bring him in myself—with a bullet if necessary. And I hate shooting my friends.’

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Billy drove back to the Agency after the meeting with Lee. ‘That dead man’s watch was a good idea. I’ll have to discipline Leatherneck for going behind my back once this is all over—if I remember. I’ll start a diversion with smoke and mirrors—and that should buy Lee the 12 hours he needs to try to get to Doneck. It’s probably a suicide mission—but he’s earned the right, I guess. I’ll keep Lee’s codes and clearances active—that way he can remotely access our computer network. That should give him a bit of an edge.’

He fingered the key Lee had given him. ‘I hold half of his life in my hand. Amanda has the other half. Really she should have both keys. If anyone has earned the right to give him a reprieve—it’s Amanda. If I get the chance—I’ll give her my key. She’ll be with him and there’s no guarantee I’ll be anywhere around when 11:30 comes. She knows if he becomes contagious it’s all over. She wouldn’t risk anyone else by letting him live. And it’s probably better if he goes quickly with the cyanide. Pneumonic plague is an ugly death. Damn—the rotten choices we have to make. But it’s the nature of the business—and we take the bad with the good. Only this time—it looks all bad. But he has another 12 hours—so I hope to God he manages to work a miracle and get that antidote in time.’

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Billy and Amanda were in his car as he drove her back to her house after his second meeting with Lee.

“Thank you for your help, Billy. I know Lee appreciates it—and I do too.”

“I owe Lee—and you—a lot. This is just a down payment.”

“We have to hope he can get the antidote in time. That’s about all that’s keeping me going right about now.”

Billy looked over at Amanda. She was staring out the window—but she wasn’t seeing anything on the road. “He has us helping him. He knows what he needs to get the job done. And our support will make all the difference here.”

“I know. But he wants to do this by himself. I don’t think it will turn out so well if he goes in there alone.” She looked at him with wide scared eyes.

“I hear you.” He took a breath. “I think I’ll put myself on that team. Two have a better chance than one.”

“Yeah.” She took a deep breath and spoke. “You’ve been a good friend to Lee—to both of us. I know everything you’ve done trying to keep us together all these years. I really appreciate it. Thank you, sir.”

Billy smiled. ‘Even in the face of losing him—she’s still gracious. But I have to let her know the reality—even if it’s hard.’ “Amanda—you know if he becomes contagious it’s all over.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Pneumonic plague is an ugly death.”

She just nodded.

“The dead man’s watch is probably his best choice—it’s quick and clean. He’d rather go that way than in an isolation ward—fighting for each breath until the end.”

“I know.” She drew a shaky breath. Then she went on sounding much calmer. “But I still think we have a chance—if the three of us can manage to somehow get that antidote—you have Dr. McJohn standing by, right?”

“He has three teams working around the clock—if we get the formula he should be able to put something together within minutes.”

“Then we have a chance. When do you think you will have what Lee has requested?”

“I plan to be at your place by 6.”

“OK, I’ll tell him. Thank you again, sir. No matter what happens—I appreciate all you’ve done for Lee—for us both.” She leaned over and kissed Billy’s cheek as she got out of the car. “See you at 6.”

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Billy returned to the Agency—preparing for his 4pm conference call with Dr. Smyth. His leg still hurt—he’d be a while healing—but all in all it was well worth it. ‘We managed to get to Doneck and we now have the antidote to PD2. After this fiasco—Doneck will be thoroughly discredited. And I still have my best team—both of them—alive and healthy.’

‘I told them they were turning into a very effective team. They are my best team—they have been for a couple of years now. And they have some guardian angels watching out for them. This is a close as it has come for them. We almost lost Lee. Thank God Amanda thought to come into the embassy to remove the watch. Now they can get married—whenever they have the time.’

‘They have put in for vacation the week after next. Most partners take vacations at the same time. But I wonder if this vacation won’t be something a bit special for them. Could they finally be getting married? I’m not going to ask or pry—they deserve their privacy. Still—I can hope.’

‘Smyth will chew my butt for a while—he has to get his pound of flesh. But we got the antidote—we discredited Doneck—Scarecrow’s alive and well—my best partnership is intact. Yeah I got shot—but it’ll heal cleanly. And the Soviets can’t officially squawk about their embassy—after all they were the ones who were testing their germ warfare agents on our people in the first place. So it’s stalemate there. All-in-all we’ve come out of this with a lot more than we had before. Smyth’ll rant for a while—then tell me to pass on a ‘well done—don’t ever do that again.’ The man is so predictable. Now my biggest worry is to keep their marriage—whenever it happens—off the radar. I may have paid some of my debt to those two back—but there’s a lot more I still owe them. So I’ll keep covering for them—it’s the least I can do.’