- Text Size +
Billy’s Case Files

By Ermintrude

See part 1 for disclaimers

Part 20

Over the Limit October 7, 1985

Billy sat at his desk and surveyed the stack of files before him. Spring Cleaning—even though it was not spring—it was that time of year for his people to go out and investigate all the fringe groups in the DC area. There were so many—and you never knew what they were about unless you sent someone to see them in action. So Billy would divide up the files, and send his agents out to check out all the new—and old—groups. He knew everyone hated this duty—but it was a necessary task—and so he assigned his people to do it—or ordered as the case may be.

This year—maybe Amanda could help out. She's been around a while, and she could start taking on some of the more routine duties of the other field agents—even though she was still only a civilian auxiliary. Her people skills would also come in handy. She was pleasant and personable and could befriend a rock given enough time. Her friendly approach would get more information than her partner's reluctant interrogations would. He'd send them together, and maybe they could get things done more quickly—and with fewer complaints from the groups being investigated.

After Over the Limit October 7, 1985

Billy closed the file on the Save the Bay case. The bombing of a senator was a big deal—and Amanda had almost gotten killed herself. The bomb blast in the park at the rally was something he preferred to avoid. Their ultimate job was to protect civilians from that sort of activity. If they did their jobs properly there would not be such incidents. Ever.

Billy thought back to Leatherneck’s report on Amanda’s session on the firing range. The all-time low-ball score. It was a source of highly amused gossip among the other personnel—but to Billy it was a strong worry. OK, she shot the pulley and got the bad guy that way. But she should be able to shoot at a person if the situation demanded it. She was in the line of fire more often now—she had been from the start—and she needed every skill she could develop to protect herself, her partner and the Agency’s interests. And that meant being able to use a gun effectively—to shoot at a person if the occasion demanded it.

Most agents never killed a person in their entire careers. But she was partnered with the Agency’s top agent—and Scarecrow was more than a bit of a hot-shot—which meant he used his weapon more often than most agents. Oddly—she seemed comfortable with the idea of her partner shooting at and possibly killing people. But she couldn’t do it herself. Billy doubted a session or two with Pfaff would help any. She’d go—but her strongly ingrained moral code wasn’t going to be ‘psyched’ away.

He thought a bit. Maybe Leatherneck would have some ideas about how to get her less intractable about it. She was willing to try—she didn’t like it—but she was reluctantly compliant when Billy ordered her to the range. He thought back—it was almost the only thing she’d balked at since she started. That had to be some sort of record. But unfortunately—it was a key element in being an agent—and she had to learn how to use a weapon effectively. There was no getting around that one. So he’d take Leatherneck out to lunch and maybe they would be able to devise some way to present the test so Amanda King would finally learn to effectively use a weapon. Because sooner or later—it would mean her or her partner’s life. And Billy needed both of them alive and healthy.

Before Tail of the Dancing Weasel October 14, 1985

Billy sat at his desk and reviewed the file on Larry Crawford. ‘I gave the man six months to clean up his act—and he hasn’t. He claimed he was on to some double agent—but he’s produced no concrete evidence—or even a name. Yet this case has been taking up most all his time since August.’

He shook his head. ‘I hate to do it—but I need productive agents—not goofs who sit around playing spy and not clearing cases or even doing their own paperwork. He had a civilian auxiliary helping out over the summer—but she said she didn’t have the clearance for some of what he wanted her to do and I won’t spare another agent to pick up after the man. So that’s it. I’ve got to scooch him. I hate to do it—but he had a chance to clean up his act. Six months of chance—and he blew it. Maybe I can promote someone from within to fill his spot. Because I can’t be down an agent for long. Maybe we can hold another Station One Class ahead of schedule.’

‘Now the question is—who will take over the Q Bureau? I need someone who’s NOT like Crawford. Someone who’s a self-starter. Someone who won’t lay down on the job. Someone with a lot better contacts than Crawford. Someone who’s sharp and capable—a team player but also a lone wolf—lone wolf! Scarecrow. Though he’s really no longer a lone wolf—he has his amazing partner, Amanda—she’s not an official agent. And she can help him keep up with the paperwork and filing. Plus it will allow her to be around and help him out with cases as he needs her. And he’s using her skills on his own—he even admits they are partners. Sure took a long time, though. She does have the clearance to do the filing—she’s the highest clearance civilian auxiliary we have. I’d up it—but regs. limit the clearance levels for non-agents. I had to pull a few strings to get her the clearance she has. And if she needs higher, Francine or I can always authorize it on a case-by-case basis.’

‘Yes, I think Scarecrow is due for something new—something other than his partner. He gets restless if things stay the same for too long. He’s finally used to Amanda—they are a good team and have a fantastic solve rate. I bet they’d be great with the Q Bureau. And they’d still be available for regular assignments if I need them. Scarecrow is a self-starter and Amanda will keep him on track. She’s one of the most conscientious people I know. She volunteered to return the $50,000 that Margaret Brock placed in her savings account. We would have gotten around to it eventually—but most people would have let it stay there and drawn off the interest. Not Amanda.’

‘And another advantage with giving Scarecrow the Q Bureau is that it will give the two of them a bit of privacy. That way they can have their arguments away from the rest of the unit. I realize they need to be able to clear the air—and that’s how they communicate—but their arguments are disruptive. People stop working to watch and bet on the outcome. I’m not supposed to know about it, but I do. And I would rather my people were working than making side bets about whether Scarecrow will finally win an argument. They have fewer arguments than they did in the beginning, and they are getting along better lately—but they still argue from time to time, and I’m tired of hearing about it endlessly. You would think these people would have enough else to do without poking their noses into the lives of their co-workers. So if I move Scarecrow upstairs—into his own private office—I keep him out of the bullpen. It isn’t his fault he’s a bit larger-than-life. But I need a quiet and productive work environment—so that’s settled. Scarecrow gets the Q Bureau after I—no better—we scooch Larry Crawford. Let Scarecrow in on the downside of the job as well as the perks.’

After Tail of the Dancing Weasel October 14, 1985

Harry V. Thornton stood as Billy Melrose came to his table at an elegant but discreet restaurant. “Glad you could make it, Lancer.” They shook hands and sat.

“I’m just glad you’re free to have lunch with me. It was a near thing. If Amanda hadn’t found that letter in time, you might be in custody right now.”

“Scarecrow has faith in the woman, and I have faith in Scarecrow. And now Amanda, too.”

“He sure can pick ‘em.” Billy admitted ruefully.

“She’s not one of his stable of women—she’s something unique.”

“You can say that again. She managed to turn him around within six months of their working together. I was almost despairing of the man before that. After Eric was killed…”
Harry shook his head. “Our boy takes that sort of thing too hard.”

“Losing a partner is always hard—you know that, Harry.”

“Yes it is—as is losing an agent or contact. But it happens. That’s the nature of the business. Scarecrow was in Vietnam, and he’s never gotten over the survivor’s guilt from that. I guess we can’t understand—that was a different war from our wars.”

“You can say that again. Every one of the men who came back from that place was changed—every one of them has some sort of quirk. Some can live with it better than others—but too many never were able to adjust to civilian life. Too many are still back there—in their minds and souls—poor bastards.”

Both men sat in brooding silence—for a war that had torn the country apart and for the poor lost souls who had been irreparably damaged by it.

Billy decided to change the mood. “So you’ve finally met Amanda King—what do you think of her?”

Harry smiled. “She’s everything Lee has said—and so much more. At first he complained about her. Said she was a nuisance and an albatross that you had saddled him with.”

“An albatross!” Billy laughed. “That’s harsh, even for Scarecrow.”

“He talked to me less than a month after he had handed her that package. He was still smarting that she had managed to break the case and save his butt. Though to hear him tell it, they nearly died dozens of times while she was trying to fly that helicopter.”

“It was a hair-raising flight. But they got the bad guys and landed safely—so it all turned out OK.”

“And you decided to keep her on, and partner her with him.” Harry said knowingly.

“I had to do something. The woman managed to keep up with him, and she stood up to him from the start. Even Eric had a bit of adjustment there. She put him in his place from the very beginning. I wasn’t about to pass that sort of ability up. Plus she has amazing instincts—she’s a natural.”

“Lee says he’d trust her to lead him blind through a blizzard at midnight.”

Billy was surprised. “I knew he trusted the woman—I’m just surprised he’d admit it to you.”

“So was I. Obviously, there’s more than meets the eye to their partnership. I had wondered if they were involved—but after talking to her—getting to know her—I don’t think so. She’s not that type of woman.”

“No she isn’t. And that’s one reason I think they’re such a good team. But he’s very jealous of her attentions. Any other male who gets within 10 feet of her is risking a bruising if he tries to make a move on her.”

“Does he realize what that says about the two of them?”

“He’s oblivious about it. He’s oblivious about a lot of things about her.”

“That could be dangerous for our boy.”

“He’s gotten into trouble on her behalf more than once. He even committed treason to trade back for her…”

“I heard about that one. But they managed to get Rostov back and get a few more as well.”

Billy smiled. “They have a fantastic solve rate. That’s why she stays on.”

“That—and she saved your life.”

Billy looked sheepish. “You know about that one—what am I saying?—of course you do. You keep pretty close tabs on us all—even now.”

“I like to keep informed—I still have my clearances. And I’m glad I do. That Amanda is some woman, and Scarecrow’s lucky to have her. He even seems to be appreciating her. That’s good. He’s a better agent for it—though I’d appreciate it if you didn’t pass that one along.”

“Don’t worry—nobody knows about our lunches. It’s need to know, and nobody else needs to know.”

“I trained you well, Lancer. You’ve still got it.”

“Yes I do. And hopefully I’ll still have it for a few more years.”