- Text Size +
Billy’s Case Files

By Ermintrude

See part one for disclaimers

Part 11

Second Season
Before To Catch A Mongoose October 1, 1984
Conrad Walter Barnhill—Arlington High School, class of 1969. Billy looked at the yearbook without the photo of Barnhill—and then he remembered. He knew someone else in the unit who had attended Arlington High School. He turned the pages—there it was Amanda West—Arlington High School Class of 1969. Her picture looked pretty good, too—even after all these years. He grinned and chuckled to himself. This was too good to be true. He picked up the phone.

"Hello."

"Good morning, Mrs. King. I trust I'm not disturbing you."

"Oh no, sir. I was just doing dishes after breakfast. Do you need me to come in today? I know Lee's out of the country, but I'm free if you need me for anything."

"Actually, I need to ask you about an old high school classmate. Conrad Walter Barnhill. Do you remember him?"

"Connie Barnhill? —yeah I remember him. He was kind of shy and backward—some of the other boys picked on him. I think he got stuffed into a locker a couple of times. Why are you asking about Connie?"

"Scarecrow is in London on a case, and it seems Barnhill is mixed up somehow. We don't have any photos of the man—and so I need someone who can identify him, and it seems you are that person."

"Me? Would I have to go to London? I mean, I'd love to go to London—but won't Lee be a bit peeved when I show up? Is he expecting me?"

"I'll make the arrangements. You pack, and come in to the Agency. Take a cab, and we'll get you to the airport. I'll call Lee and let him know what flight you'll be arriving on."

"Um, sir. I don't have a passport or anything. Doesn't it take time to get something like that?"

"Mrs. King, we applied for a passport for you once it became clear you were going to be working with the unit on a semi-regular basis. It's a shame you haven't had to use it before now, but everything is here, and ready for you."

"Oh. Thank you, sir. I guess I should have known you people would be prepared with that sort of thing. I'll pack and be in as soon as I can get there. London. I've never been to Europe before--it will be an adventure."

"Thank you, Mrs. King. We'll see you when you arrive here. Please hurry, we need that identification as soon as possible."

After To Catch a Mongoose October 1, 1984
Billy read the file from Scotland Yard on Scarecrow's—correction, Scarecrow and Mrs. King's latest case.

Catching the Mongoose, international thief and killer was definitely a coup for the Agency. Once again, Amanda's luck and instincts had helped turn the case.

Billy had been overjoyed when it turned out that Amanda had gone to high school with Barnhill, so she could ID him. She had gotten a passport shortly after it became clear to Billy she was Lee's new partner. It was surprising that it took almost a year for her to use it.

Scarecrow had not been happy when Amanda showed up in London. Up to now his overseas assignments had been strictly solo. He had told Billy they were like a vacation from Amanda King. But Billy was seeing through that. Lee had thought of using Amanda as his partner at the Cumberland Grand by himself. They were definitely more comfortable working together these days. Though their arguments...

Scotland Yard had observed them in action. Good cop-bad cop didn't work so Amanda just questioned Barnhill solo. And it worked! She got him to tell her everything. Even that he was in love with her. Billy could understand why.

"She has a style all her own." —That's what Lee had said and it was true.

Billy couldn't think of a more unlikely agent candidate—but Amanda had the drive, the smarts, the instincts and endless enthusiasm for the job. And an amazing ability to bounce back after things got tough. He suspected Lee had something to do with that. It's natural for partners to help each other over the rough spots—that's why agents tended to last longer when partnered.

Well, she had impressed Scotland Yard—they even thought she was an official agent. Scarecrow had an international rep, and now Amanda was gaining one of her own. She seemed shy about it. But Billy knew people worked better with praise for a job well done, so he would let Amanda know how she had impressed Scotland Yard—and him—when she returned. Maybe she could do some light overseas courier assignments. Billy would look out for any Amanda could manage. She would benefit from the experience.

Before The Times They Are a Changin’ October 8, 1984
Billy, Lee and Francine were in Billy’s office planning strategy for Hoddie Kemp’s return to the US. “OK people, we have an understanding with Kemp. He will allow us to contact him, and arrange for his return to the US in exchange for any information he can give us. But he has a few conditions.”

“I don’t see why we can’t manage to contact him ourselves.” Francine was businesslike.

Lee replied in a way that showed they had been over this point several times already. “He doesn’t want to deal with any agents. He says he’s watched constantly, and his associates would spot an agent in a minute.”

“That’s right.” Billy said, taking over the discussion. “And that’s why we plan to use a tourist on vacation as the contact.”

“OK, but what tourist? Who can we approach to do this for us?” Francine asked.

“I already have somebody in mind—in fact I’ve set the plans into motion. Right now, our people are at Amanda King’s market, and when she next buys coffee—which I’m told she will be doing today or tomorrow—she will buy a can with a winning ticket. She will win an expense-paid trip for four to Munich for five days and four nights. The catch is, that she has to take the trip in two weeks—so she will be in Munich at the time we’ve planned for Kemp’s return. Once she is there, we’ll have Scarecrow contact her and she will make the contact, and be our go-between. It will be easy and natural.”

“Billy, easy isn’t the word I’d use with Amanda—no matter what, things always end up coming out differently than planned.” Lee was less than thrilled at this aspect of the plan.

“And that’s why the three of us will be there to back her up. We’ll arrive the day before she does, to finalize the arrangements, and set everything up. All she will have to do is make contact, and talk to the man—relay our arrangements, and get whatever information he has. It will be a textbook operation.”

“What about her family? Will they be in the way?” Francine asked.

“She should be able to get away on her own a couple times. It won’t take long for her to make the contacts. And we can have one of our local people watching out for them, just to make sure they are safe while Amanda’s on assignment. They’ll be staying at the Hilton, where we already have several people stationed, so it won’t be any extra trouble.”

“What about school? Will the boys be able to miss classes?” Lee was trying to counter any argument Amanda might have.

“We have arranged with their schools so they will be able to miss the days and use it as an educational experience. There should be no trouble from that quarter.” Billy smiled at his planning—he had daughters so he understood about such things. He was surprised that Lee had thought of it. Apparently he was more understanding of Amanda’s family situation than he had been in the past. But he had gone all out to get the Captain Galaxy for Jamie last spring—so he was becoming more sensitive to her family.

“Children—just so they will stay out of our operation.” Francine sounded unhappy at the prospect.

“They should—all we need is for Amanda to contact Kemp three or four times—nothing more. He’ll keep to the tourist areas, so it should be no problem.” Billy smiled at his plan. “Since we’re all up to speed—that’s all. We’ll leave the morning before Amanda and her family—and that’s in two weeks. We’ll keep contact with Kemp in the meantime—but he hasn’t planned any further contacts between now and then—so we’ll get back to business as usual and leave for Munich to wrap up this operation. This is a big one—Kemp has been tied into the Euro-terror groups for over fifteen years, and what he knows will help us break up some of those groups.”