Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

What Lies Beneath-Chapter Four

4247 Maplewood Dr.

Tuesday, September 3, 2002

8:30 PM

"A Dissociative episode." Lee sat on the edge of the bed, his forearms
resting on his knees. "That's what Dr. Pfaff called it."

"All right," Amanda said. "And what does that mean, exactly?"

"That the shock of being grabbed from behind so suddenly caused her to
flashback, panic and basically have a mental blackout."

"Is there anything that we can do about it?"

"Yes." Lee ran his hand over his face. "He said that if we give her
the tools for coping with the situation she'll be less likely to
blackout in the future."

"Well that's good, isn't it? We were planning on teaching her more
self –defense skills anyway." Lee was silent and Amanda touched his
arm. "Lee—tell me what's wrong."

"Jenna let me stay in the room while she talked to Pfaff. She told
him that while she was in England she'd had a bad nightmare."

"About Rudolpho?"

Lee shook his head. "No, this one was about Gary Johnston. Jenna told
him that she woke up and talked to Emily about it--after that she was
fine."

"She never told me," Amanda said.

"She didn't tell me either, Amanda—when Pfaff asked her why she said
that she didn't want to make us worry." Lee took a deep breath and let it out in a whoosh. . "It just makes me wonder."

"Wonder about what?"

"About how much of Jenna's recovery is real—whether she's really
getting better or just pretending for us because she's afraid of being
a burden."

"I really don't think that's what she's doing," Amanda said "I mean we
know that she has your habit of trying to solve her problems by
herself but she has improved—we've seen it ourselves."

"How much has she improved when she's still having nightmares about
Johnston?" Lee's fist clenched. "That bastard was the start of all
of this, Amanda—instead of behind bars he ought to be six feet under
with the rest of his lousy family."

"I know how you feel," Amanda said. "And believe me, if I could go
back in time and stop him—stop any of this from happening-- I would. But I
can't."

"I had just hoped the vacation would—"

"What? Fix everything? The vacation was a start, Lee. It wasn't going
to make everything all right—we knew this was going to be a long road
back."

"I understand--it just feels to me that for every three steps forward
we're taking two steps back."

Amanda's hand slipped inside his. "That's still one step ahead," she
reminded him. "We're going to get there—we'll do it together."

Lee squeezed his wife's hand and then pulled her against him, her head
resting against his chest. "Together."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

4300 Maplewood Dr.

8:45 PM

"I know you're hiding something. Just tell me what it is!"

Christy lay on her stomach on the bed, staring at the first question
in the AP Biology textbook. There it was--the words in black and
white, but her brain simply refused to give her the answer:

1. Explain the transport of water and nutrients through plants.

Maybe, Christy thought, maybe if she just stared at the words hard
enough everything else would go away.

"Do you have to question me all the time?" her father said. "Christ,
Kathryn—would it be too much to ask for a little trust from you? Huh?"

"And would it be too much for me to expect you to tell me the truth?"
her mother's voice shook. "I stuck with you through all of this,
Peter. Remember that--a lot of women wouldn't have."

"Why did you stick by me, anyway? So you could hold this
self-righteous martyr crap over my head for the rest of our lives?"

"Just tell me what's in the briefcase and I'll leave you alone."

"It doesn't concern you."

"Shut up, shut up, shut up." Christy whispered the words to herself
like a magic charm, trying to make everything go away. It didn't work.

"Fine—if you don't tell me what's in the briefcase then I'll just have
a look for myself."

"Don't."

His tone made Christy shiver—she'd never heard her dad sound that
cold or angry before.

"I'm going to, Peter—you can't stop me this time."

"I'm warning you—"

The thud caused the whole house to shake. Christy's hand started to
shake too—the pen she'd been holding fell to her bedspread.

Nothing. No sounds, no voices. The silence was almost as bad as the
noise. Images of what might have happened went through Christy's head.

Enough imagining—she should go downstairs and see for herself.

Why wouldn't her legs move?

"I'm so sorry." Dad's voice. "You've got to believe me, I never meant—"

More silence. Christy picked up her pen again but now her fingers
were numb.

"I love you," Dad was saying. "And I promise I'll explain all of
this—just not now." More voices, the tones muffled now but less
angry-sounding. Christy let her body relax. Parents had fights, she
reasoned.

Maybe after this everything would be okay.

Footsteps came up the stairs, slow and measured. Christy watched as a
shadow moved along the hallway. Her mother's shadow.

"Sweetheart?"

She stood in the doorway. Her clothes were disheveled and one hand
cupped the side of her face protectively.

"Are you all right?" her mother asked.

Christy paused. "Sure," she managed to say. "I'm okay."

Her mother smiled and entered the room, sitting on the edge of
Christy's bed. "What are you doing?"

"Homework."

"On the first night?"

"Mrs. Kramer says that more should be expected from AP students."
Christy told her.

Her mother rolled her eyes and grinned. "Yeah, I remember teachers
like that," she said. "Christy, your father and I are fine—we were just
having a discussion. I hope we didn't frighten you."

"You didn't," Christy said. "I mean, I guess I was a little worried,
but everything's okay now—right?"

"Right." Mom kissed her forehead. "Now finish your homework and get
to bed, huh? I don't want you to stay up too late."

"I won't," Christy said. "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, sweetheart."

When Mom had left Christy closed her eyes briefly.

Everything is okay, she told herself. Everything is fine.

Would there ever come a point when she'd start to believe that it really was?

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Yorktown High School

Wednesday, September 4, 2002

8:00 AM

“Dad you didn’t have to take me to school this morning,” Jenna said as they pulled up in front of the building. “I could’ve walked with somebody.”

“But I don’t mind taking you,” Dad said. “And besides, this car is still considered cool, right?”

“Yes, it’s still considered cool. Even if it is ancient—I mean classic,” she said hastily as she saw the expression on her father’s face. “Classic is what I meant to say.”

Dad smiled. “Classic is better, yeah,” he said. “Did you have a good night last night?”

“Yes.”

“No nightmares or anything?”

“No nightmares,” Jenna said. “Really—I’m okay.”

“I know you are.” Dad pulled her into a hug, kissing her briefly on the forehead.

“I love you munchkin—have a great day.”

“I will—love you too, Dad.” Jenna hugged him back and then got out of the car, throwing her backpack over one shoulder.

“Don’t forget I’m picking you up after school too, right?”

“I won’t forget.”

“And just remember that if you need me or your mom—”

“You’re only a phone call away—I know.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

“I don’t think your dad’s ever going to let you walk home again,” Lisa shut her locker.

“He just worries, that’s all.” Jenna opened her locker, putting all but her English book inside.

Lisa raised an eyebrow. Overprotective much?”

“It’s really not that bad, Lisa. What happened yesterday scared him, that’s all.”

“What exactly did happen?” Lisa asked. “I tried to call Christy on her cell last night to get the dirt but she wasn’t in the mood for talking.”

“Family problems?”

“Has to be. You know Christy—she’s usually all talk, all the time. Now enough changing the subject, Jenna—spill the beans.”

“Okay. But it’s not very exciting.”

“That’s not what I’ve heard.”

“Look, all I basically did was step off the curb to look for my dad’s car in the line and Brad grabbed me before a car ran me over.”

“Wait a minute—Brad?” Lisa’s eyes were wide. “The cute guy we met yesterday—Terri’s Brad?” Jenna nodded. “So what happened next?”

“I don’t remember exactly,” Jenna told her.

“Christy and Brad said that I zoned out—that I was in some kind of shock and wouldn’t talk to them for a couple of minutes.”

“Wow—like that soap opera we saw where that girl went all cataplexic?”

“You mean catatonic.”

“Yeah that—you know on second thought I don’t really blame your dad for freaking out. Was he really upset?”

“A little. I mean, when he saw me on the ground with Brad standing over me—he misunderstood and nearly got in a fight with him until I explained about what Brad did.”

“You lead an exciting life, Jenna Stetson. I wish I had cute guys coming to rescue me.”

“Come on, it wasn’t really like that.”

“Oh yeah? Try telling that to her.” Lisa motioned across the hall to where Terri stood, hands on hips, her blue eyes glaring daggers in Jenna’s direction.

“I’m not bothered by her.” Jenna said.

“You really did get brave over the summer.”

Before Jenna could reply Christy pushed past them, heading straight towards her locker.“You okay, Christy?” Jenna asked. “You were nearly late.”

“Sorry about that.” Christy mumbled. She dialed her combination.

“Everything okay?” Lisa asked.

“Fine—I’m just tired.” Christy’s voice was barely audible as she grabbed the books she needed and slammed her locker shut. From this angle Jenna could see that her friend’s face was pale, with dark hollows under her eyes.

“If there’s anything we can do to help just let us know, okay?” Jenna told her.

“Thanks,” Christy said, “but you can’t do anything. See you later, all right?”

Jenna and Lisa stood, watching as their friend disappeared down the hallway.

“I wish there was some way that we could help,” Jenna said.

Lisa sighed. “You and me both.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Q-Bureau 2:15 PM

Amanda shrieked as she felt the shock of icy metal at the nape of her neck. Turning around, she looked directly into the smiling face of her husband.

“I know, you hate it when I do that.” Lee handed her a white cardboard carton and a soda can. “Here—I picked up a late lunch for both of us.”

“Thanks.” Absently she placed the container and the can beside her on the desk, her dark eyes still fastened on the computer screen.

“How are the background checks coming along? Any luck?”

Amanda sighed. “Yes, unfortunately.”

“How do you mean unfortunately?”

“Well right now everything points to one man—he was the one who spent the most time with Maskhadov—they were even
cellmates at one point. He’s the most likely person to have received the information. Want to guess who that is?”

“Peter Blakeney?”

“I wish it wasn’t,” Amanda said. “Lee, this is going to destroy that family. Mrs. Blakeney is a friend of mine—we’re on
the PTA together and Christy and Jenna have played together since they were toddlers. Have you thought about what we’ll be doing to them?”

“Amanda if this man is actually Gambit he’s destroying his own family—we’re not doing it.”

“I guess you’re right. I know you’re right—I just wish it didn’t have to be someone we know.”

“I understand,” Lee said. “So—now that we have a prime suspect it’s standard procedure. Right?”

Amanda nodded wearily. “Francine will place Peter and his family under 24-hour surveillance and we’ll issue a
wiretap—if anyone tries to make contact with him we’ll catch it.”

“And I meant what I said earlier—Jenna doesn’t come within a hundred yards of that man or that house.”

“But how are we going to keep her away? What do we tell her?”

Lee ran his hand back through his hair. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “We’ll think of something, because she’s not going to become a pawn in one of Gambit’s games. That man is ruthless—there’s nothing that he wouldn’t stoop to in order to achieve his ends.”

Ruthless. At her husband’s words a slight chill went through Amanda’s body. She shivered.

“Cold?” Lee asked her.

“Remember that bad feeling you said you had earlier?”

“Yeah.”

“Well now I think I have it too.”

“Don’t worry.” Lee’s hand rested on her shoulder. “We’ll get him this time, Amanda—I promise you.”

TBC