- Text Size +
Here is my second challenge response for the week. For this one, I
revived another of my previous challenge responses (the "What a pile
of..." challenge) and expanded it to incorporate this week's
challenge line. I really hope you all enjoy it!

Julie T

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: Characters mentioned in this fanfic from the TV show
Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot the Moon
and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for some fun.
I do not intend to profit in anyway from this story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lee and Amanda were speeding down the beltway when traffic suddenly
began coming to a stop. "Leeeeee, I told you NOT to take the
beltway!!!" Amanda admonished.

"Honey, I thought it would be the fastest way--I'm sorry!" Lee
replied. "Damn it, what a pile of cars ahead of us...," Lee lamented
seeing car upon car stacked in front of them in the stop and go,
mostly stop, traffic.

Amanda exclaimed, "Lee this baby is coming--hurry up!!!!"

"NOOOOO, Amanda NOT in the 'Vette!!" Lee said forcefully. To which
Amanda sarcastically replied, "Well, Lee, I can't very well stop it,
so what do you want me to do? Get out and have her in the middle of
the road???"

Lee seemed to contemplate that idea for a moment, and Amanda scolded
him for it, "Now really, Lee, you don't want your daughter born in
the middle of the beltway do you?"

Lee stared at her like a deer in headlights, then jerked the 'Vette
over onto the shoulder of the beltway and floored it. "Hold on,
Amanda, we'll make it. I know we will--we HAVE to!" Lee yelled as he
sped towards the next exit.

They flew up the shoulder of the beltway as fast as Lee dared to go.
He had to watch that someone else didn't pull over in front of him.

That's all we need—to get in an accident with Amanda in labor, he
contemplated. Suddenly, a loud wailing siren broke his train of
thought. He looked in the rearview mirror and noticed a police car
right on his tail with its blue lights flashing.

"Damn it, what else is going to happen?" he asked as he began to slow
down.

"Lee, why are you slowing down? We have to get to the hospital—NOW!"
Amanda exclaimed.

"I am being pulled over by a cop, Amanda," he said in an irritated
tone as the officer approached the driver's side of the `Vette. "I
guess he didn't take too kindly to my use of the shoulder of the
road." Lee rolled his window down as soon as the officer appeared.

"Sir, I have pulled you over for using the shoulder of the road in an
unlawful and reckless manner. May I see you driver's license and
registration, please?"

"Officer, I can explain…," Lee began as Amanda yelped in pain from
the passenger seat. Lee patted her arm and told her, "Hold on,
Manda."

The officer ducked down to see what was going on with the passenger
and was surprised to see a very pregnant woman who looked to be in a
lot of pain. "Is she ok, sir?"

"My wife is about to give birth to our first child, and I am trying
to get her to the hospital as quickly as possible. With this stop
and go traffic, I decided that using the shoulder of the road was our
only option if we are going to make it in time," Lee quickly
explained.

"Oh, I see, sir. I'll pull my cruiser in front of your vehicle and
give you an escort to the hospital so that you and your wife get
there in one piece!" the officer shouted over his shoulder as he
hurried back to his cruiser.

About an hour later at Galilee General Hospital, Amanda and Lee
became the proud parents of a beautiful, healthy baby girl.