- Text Size +
Story Notes:
DISCLAIMER: The characters belong to Warner Brothers and Shoot The Moon Productions. I’m just borrowing the wonderful characters for a Christmas story and a little
romance.
PART I

The Holiday Christmas Gala was held every three years at the Hilton, sponsored
by the Agency, the FBI,
and the CIA. Always an instant success, the festive occasion featured a
popular band, catered dining and beautiful decorations. Everyone always had a
wonderful time.

Francine Desmond made it her priority to brag about the designer original that
she would be wearing and
of course, her date was always rich and prominent. This time it was the chief
lawyer for a number of
senators, Eric Black. She made sure that Amanda knew how gorgeous she would
look.

Graciously, Amanda acknowledged the deliberate put-down explaining to her that
she was certain Francine
would have a good time, thus adding nothing more to their conversation.

Lee had witnessed the whole scene and wanted to protect Amanda from the barbs
of the Agency “witch”,
but he dare not approach his partner to comfort her without the
backyard “gossip” fence having a field day.
At least, not right now.

“Who are you going with, Amanda?” queried Francine, oozing with fabricated
charm.

“Ross Howard asked me to attend a while back, Francine. You remember him, he’s
a C. I. A. operative I
met on a previous case.”

“Oh, yes, very handsome. Are you two hitting it off well, my dear?” echoed the
broomstick buffoon.

“Very well indeed.” Amanda added to the fun. “We’ve been dating about a month
now,” she replied, in a
stuffy tone, imitating you know who. ‘It’s not going to hurt to stretch the
truth a little in her case,’ thought
Amanda, posing with her nose in the air. Mrs. King then resumed her regular
duties.

‘Good for you, sweetheart,’ Lee thought to himself. He was so proud of Amanda
for showing Francine up.

She caught his gaze and smiled longingly for a brief moment.

Lee held her stare, wishing he were the one escorting her to the Christmas
dance. Then she turned away
quickly losing the momentary sweetness between them. He had come down from the
Q Bureau to gather some material which would be used on a current case for
processing.

Lee suddenly had a brilliant idea. “Amanda, it’s almost time for lunch. Would
you like to go to Ned’s
with me?”

She became excited for a brief time, her eyes sparkling with anticipation, but
her stiffness returned as
she remembered a previous commitment.

“I’m sorry, Lee, but I can’t today. I have other plans, maybe some other
time,” she apologized.

Scarecrow’s anger rose immediately and he didn’t care who knew it. “Very well,
how about tomorrow?”

he voiced in a biting tone.

“I can’t make it tomorrow either, I’m going Christmas shopping,” she answered
cautiously.

Now, Lee was really upset. “Mrs. King, may I see you upstairs for a minute
privately?” he responded,
ranting.

“Alright,” she nodded, as they headed up to the Q Bureau.

After they entered the Q, Lee closed and locked the door for privacy. He
turned to his partner, trying to
calm his nerves reiterated, “Amanda, we are still working on the Patterson
case. When I need you for discussion concerning the processing of details, I
expect you to be available to me. If this happens to
come within a lunch break, so be it,” He tried to control his emotions.

“The only reason you would “need” me, Lee Stetson is because you are aware I’ll
be dining with Ross.
Your jealousy is overpowering your rational judgment, Scarecrow,” she replied
angrily.

Holding on to the last remnants of his self-control, Lee seethed, “Mrs. King,
will you please call Mr. Howard and cancel your engagement. We need to
concentrate on solving this case. I need all the details
relevant to the location of the warehouse where the stolen formulas were kept
and in what specific room,
etc.,” he demanded.

“Mr. Stetson, all that information was given to you right before I left
yesterday. It should be on your desk within all that clutter. I will not
break my luncheon over specifications that were already handed to you. It’s
not my problem if you can’t find them,” she was fuming at this point.

“Damn it, go to lunch with Howard, but don’t bother coming back up here. I
won’t be here. I’ll be out
in the field, doing my job!” Lee was so angry he was shaking.

“Are you telling me that if I chose to attend a previously planned engagement
against your wishes which
is not part of my job, that I needn’t bother working with you anymore today?”

“You got the message, I believe,” he managed to finish.

Amanda couldn’t believe what she was hearing. He would actually order her to
change her plans.
She vehemently called Ross. “Ross, I can’t make our date today, some
unexpected work has come up.
No, it has nothing to do with Lee,” she raved…”Well, you can think what you
want. I’ll see you at
seven tonight, then. Okay?” Ross, I’m sorry, but it can’t be helped.”

By now, she was shaking, her emotions hard to keep in check, but she wouldn’t
let Scarecrow see he cry.

The rest of the day was loaded with stress and curt remarks while winding down
the case. Asking if they
were finished for the day, Amanda received a sarcastic “yes” back.

She hurried out of the Q Bureau office. Ross was to pick her up at 7:00 p.m.
The Gala started at 8:00 p.m.
to whenever. Dinner was not on their agenda, there was plenty of food at the
dance. Amanda hoped she
could pull off the pretense of enjoying herself. The truth was she was using
Ross. The guilt was treading
heavily on her conscience. She decided that their relationship would have to
end. Basically, Amanda was
an honest, caring person and couldn’t continue to string him along when she
cared so much for someone else.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As Lee watched her slam the door behind her, he knew Amanda was right. He was
so jealous of Ross
Howard he was about to burst and he had no right to be. ‘Damn this holiday,’ he
thought. It brings nothing but pain and distress.’ Oh, yeah, Stetson, right,
and you’re the one who caused it!

“Well, I have to pick up Sandy at seven p.m.” he sighed heavily. ‘I wish it
were Amanda,’ his subconscious
added. As walked out the door and locked up for the weekend, he mumbled, “I
hate Christmas. The only
“present” I really want is my partner.”

Putting the finishing touches on her hair and make-up, Amanda scurried to be
ready for her date on time.
She wore her hair up with cascading ringlets framing the sides of he face. Her
dress was deep red, low enough in the front to entice, but still preserve her
modesty. The designer original (she had purchased the
gown from a wholesale discount boutique) fit her perfectly. The St. Laurent
original displayed all her attributes and the color enhanced her beauty even
more. She looked like a goddess. Amanda was ready
when Ross arrived. Her mother and the boys had already left for Vermont to the
Maple Tree Inn, home
of her Aunt Hattie and Uncle Henry. She was to join them in a few days.

The doorbell rang abruptly. “Hi, Ross, come on in,” she smiled, upon
answering. “I’m ready to go.”

“Amanda, you look terrific,” his admiring glance viewed her up and down.

“Thank you, Ross, I’m glad you approve. Shall we go?” He helped her with her
wrap.

“Are you okay, Amanda? You seem too quiet tonight.” He noticed her somewhat
somber demeanor.

“I’m fine, Ross, just a little preoccupied, that’s all.” She paused and then
added, “I’m really sorry about
lunch today, it couldn’t be helped,” she apologized again.

“I believe that subject would be best left alone,” he replied, definitely
irritated. “So, your mother and the
boys enjoying themselves?” he asked to change the subject.

“Yes, they’re having a great time. The Inn is such a fun place. Ice skating,
horse-drawn sleigh rides, skiing; the Inn offers all these fun activities and
more. There always seems to be snow, too. It’s great fun.”

PART II

The Hilton was decorated in all the finery of the Christmas season.

The main ballroom has been set aside for the Christmas Gala. Ross led
his date into the festive room and checked her wrap for her.

"Let's get a table near the dance floor, if possible," he suggested.
Ross guided her to a central table gaily adorned with poinsettias and
holly.

"Would you like something to eat and drink?" asked Ross, smiling indulgently.

"Yes, that would be wonderful?" Amanda replied. "I didn't eat dinner and I'm
starving."

"Amanda, what king of drink would you like?"

"A pina colada will be fine, Ross, thanks."

They relaxed and enjoyed their meal and drinks. Ross knew something was
bothering Amanda and the subject matter had to be Lee Stetson.

"Let's dance, Amanda," Ross suggested, taking her hand and leading her to the
dance floor.

The couple moved smoothly to a few sets of slow Christmas classics exchanging
general conversation. During one of the faster tunes, Ross turned her rather
quickly and she wound up staring into two beautiful hazel eyes. Amanda stopped
short for a minute mesmerized by Lee's hypnotic glance. She swore those eyes
showed desire and longing for an instant. Then she saw the shadows of remorse
cloud her view, when he abrubtly turned away in another direction,

"Shall we continue?" asked an angry escort. A soft apology fell from her lips
at the conclusion of the dance, but was broken by an announcement over the
speaker system.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE WILL NOW CONDUCT OUR MISTLETOE CIRCLE DANCE. LADIES
MOVE AROUND IN A CIRCLE CLOCKWISE; GENTLEMEN, DO THE SAME, ONLY COUNTER
CLOCKWISE. WHEN THE MUSIC STOPS, WHOEVER IS UNDER A SPRIG OF MISTLETOE WILL
HAVE TO KISS EACH OTHER AND I DON'T MEAN JUST A PECK ON THE CHEEK. WHOMEVER
IS OUT WILL BE ELIMINATED UNTIL ONLY ONE COUPLE IS LEFT. WE WILL THEN PRESENT
THE GRAND PRIZE. MOVE SLOWLY AROUND IN THE CIRCLE, DO NOT LOOK AT THE
MISTLETOE. WHEN THE MUSIC STOPS, STAND PRECISELY WHERE YOU ARE. LET'S BEGIN."

Amanda wanted more than anything to be off the floor and hoped she would be
eliminated quickly. The music stopped before she even had a chance to process
that thought.

ANNOUNCER AGAIN: "ALRIGHT, EVERYONE UNDER THE MISTLETOE, KISS, AND MAKE IT
HEARTFELT, PLEASE."

Looking up, Amanda realized she was directly under the festive Christmas
tradition. The gentleman beside her was none other than her partner, Lee.

"COME ON, PEOPLE, DON'T BE SO RELUCTANT."

"Well, partner, I guess we have no choice," said Lee quietly, drawing Amanda
to him and slowly leaning in to touch her lips to his. His eyes closed as
he brushed his lips against hers, savoring the brief sweetness that only
Amanda's kiss provided.

Intervening, the announcer egged all participants on: "COME ON EVERYONE,
YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT," he laughed heartily.

Amanda's emotional level was definitely down a notch.

"I'm so sorry, Amanda, for everything," Lee whispered as he leaned in for
another kiss.

"Lee," was all she could muster before the announcer broke in again.

"TOO LATE, PEOPLE, WE HAVE TO RESUME OUR PARADE," he rattled. "MAYBE NEXT
TIME AROUND."

"Jingle Bell Rock" reverberated through the Ballroom as the circle march
resumed.

PART III

By now, Ross had been ejected and he was fuming over the wcene that had taken
place between Amanda and Lee. The same scenario had taken place for Lee's date,
Sandy.

Lee hadn't paid attention to her at all, ignoring her while dancing and staring
incessantly at Amanda. So steamed was Sandy, that she stormed out of the
Hilton and Lee didn't even notice.

The music and Amanda was left under the mistletoe again. The gentleman who
had stopped with her moved closer to her.

The announcer chimed in: "SO THE CIRCLE RAPIDLY BECOMES SMALLER, LADIES AND
GENTLEMEN. USSE THE MISTLETOE QUICKLY, BEFORE THE MUSIC RESUMES."

Lee moved toward her again, encircling his arms around her waist. "Well, here
we are again, Mrs. King," he smiled, "sort of fate, huh."

"Twice under the mistletoe is unusual, Mr. Stetson. What are we going to do
about it?" she smiled up at him.

"This," he reciprocated as he leaned in once more to touch his lips to hers.

When their lips were just centimeters apart, our wonderful announcer interrupted
once more. "ALRIGHT FOLKS, ONCE AROUND AGAIN. REMEMBER TOO SLOW...NO GO."

"Jingle Bell Rock" started up one more time. By now, both agents were very
frustrated, but moved along slowly. There were only four people left.

The music stopped again. Third time is a charm was not to be. Lee was left
under the mistletoe with a ravishing redhead.

Our favorite announcer once more" "WELL, WELL. WE HAVE OUR WINNERS, NOW, FOR THE
GRAND PRIZE, BUT, FIRST, YOU TWO HAVE TO KISS"

The redhead blushed slightly, but found the hunk beside her irresistable.
"I'd kiss you anywhere," she voiced, as she leaned in and gave him a deep,
passionate kiss. The contact lasted less than a minute for Lee, who released
her quickly.

"I'm sorry, miss. That's it for me," he declared adamantly.

"Well, I never," she commented. "Just who do you think you are."

"Not one of your favorite people, I'm sure. But, I couldn't care less. You
keep the grand prize. All I want is a sprig of misteltoe to keep." Lee
reached for the last remnant of the plant and was determined to find Amanda.

Meanwhile, Ross came over to Amanda showing his ire. "Mrs. King, I believe
our time together is now terminated." he ranted.

"I don't blame you, Ross. I'm sorry for tonight and using you," she replied
contritely.

"Amanda, I think you'd better find a ride home," he moved toward the exit.

"I understand completely. Goodbye, Ross." By now, her emotions were raw.

Lee moved near her to comfort her. "Amanda," he whispered, "come out to
the patio with me, please," he insisted. He had to talk to her.

"Amanda," he said quietly, as he held the last piece of bedraggled mistletoe
above her head, "one more time, please."

She smiled up at him, her face radiant in the winter moonlight. Lee leaned
in to kiss her, showing all the love he felt for her. Theri lips touched
lightly, at first. Amanda deepened the kiss, playing with his lips, begging
him to open for her, which he did happily. Their tongues flirted and
intertwined, increasing the intensity twofold. He never wanted to let her go.

"Lee," she whispered. "I need you."

"I love you so much, Amanda," he confessed, kissing her again.

"I love you too," she managed between breaths.

"Merry Christmas, Amanda," he looked deeply into her eyes and saw all the love
he felt for her reflected back to him.

"Merry Christmas, Lee. It's magic with you in my arms."

"Christmas magic, Amanda."

The End