- Text Size +
Jamie slept peacefully in his playpen surrounded by his toys, and for a little while, she'd be able to give her undivided attention to Philip.

Amanda lifted the drapes aside and peeked out the window. She watched as her son stepped off the school bus and raced down the block toward home. Her heart clutched a bit as she thought how fast he grew from baby, to toddler,
to little boy. Soon, she'd loose him to girls, college, and a life of his own making. But for now, he was still her little boy.

Philip barged in the front door, slamming it closed behind him. He dumped his BACKPACK on the step and ran straight into her waiting arms. The cold, winter wind turned his CHEEKS RED. She nuzzled her cheeks against his,
wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him hello.

She picked him up and carried him into the kitchen depositing him on the counter. He sat still as a statue while she worked off his snow boots. He giggled when she tickled his foot after pulling each boot off. Philip
loved to tromp through the piles of snow, no doubt, his SOCKS would be wet, too. She tugged them off and warmed first one foot then the other in her hands. She couldn't resist playing one game of this little piggy when to market. Philip squealed when she reached his baby toe and wiggled it saying, "Wee, wee, wee, all the way home."

Setting him on his feet again, he climbed onto a kitchen chair and munched on the cookies she'd left out for his after school snack. She sat next to him and shared his snack asking him about his day in school.

Philip's eye lit up like Christmas Trees as he told her the teacher helped them to write a letter to Santa Claus. He jumped out of his chair and sped back to the steps.

Tearing open the backpack, he retrieved his Astronaut folder and ran back to the kitchen. "See Mom," he proudly handed her his paper. "I asked Santa to bring me that giant SPACESTATION I saw on television."

"It's a beautiful letter, sweetheart. I bet Santa will try his very best to bring it to you. But, maybe Santa may think of a better present for you."

"Yeah, maybe. But this is what I really want."

She hoped Joe's child support check arrived in time or else Philip would be very disappointed on Christmas morning.

End