my mom had surgery, so that's what I used :) Hope you enjoy.

Rating-PG-13 for violence

Part Seven

Wednesday, November 7, 2001

8:30 PM

One of the things Dennis liked about hospitals was the fact that
almost no one noticed you. You could wander around the corridors forever

and as long as you weren't there after hours and didn't call
attention to yourself people just took you for granted. He'd told the
old bat in the downstairs lounge that he was going to visit a friend
in room 430-she hadn't even made any calls to double-check. All she'd
done was write the information on a sticker and slap it onto Dennis'
chest. What could be easier?  All that remained for him
now was to find out where Jenna was.

Dennis honed in on the nurse at the front desk who was busy typing
what looked like a report into her computer. Her eyes were practically
glazed over. As if on cue the nurse yawned, covering her mouth with
her hand. A discarded bouquet of lilies lay on top of the garbage can.
On impulse Dennis picked them up.

"Excuse me," he said to the nurse, running a hand through his hair and
trying to look suitably worried. "But I heard they brought my niece in
here-Jenna Stetson? I just want to know her condition. I even brought
her some flowers, see?"

"I'll check," the nurse said with a reluctant sigh. She went over to
another terminal. "You said Jenna Stetson?"

"That's right," Dennis said smoothly. "She was shot in the leg, I
believe. Only twelve years old."

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry." the nurse's fingers danced over
the keyboard. "Let me just check for you, sir, it won't take a
moment-now that's funny."

"What?" Dennis said.

"There's no one by that name here," the nurse said. "In fact, the
records show that there weren't any gunshot victims in the ER tonight."

"Well, maybe she went to another hospital," Dennis said, his mind
racing because he was almost certain that they were here. He wondered
what kind of strings the Stetsons would've had to pull to keep Jenna's
patient information off the computer.

"Maybe." The nurse frowned. "The thing is, I remember a gunshot victim
being brought in tonight- a young girl, blond hair-there must be some
sort of computer error."

"That certainly sounds like my niece Jenna," Dennis said. "Where would
they have taken her-into surgery?"

"Yeah, to surgery and then straight on to recovery-down that way, I
believe." The nurse pointed distractedly as she frowned at the
computer screen. "But no one's allowed back there without authorization."

"Thank you so much," Gary murmured. "I'll be seeing you." As he
headed towards Surgery and Recovery, his hand patted his pocket,
making sure that everything he needed was still in there. The nurse
was calling after him, but he ignored her.

9:00 PM

Lee and Amanda were sitting at a table in the Pediatric Surgery
Waiting Room of Galilee General. Lee had his head in his hands and
Amanda was vainly trying to concentrate on the Washington Times
crossword puzzle.

"What time is it?" Lee asked.

"9:00," Amanda said. "About five minutes later since the last time you
asked. Lee, what's a four-letter word for a culture medium?"

"A what?" Lee looked at his wife in shock until he realized what she
was doing. "I really don't know," he told her.

"Well how about an artificial oyster bed?'" Amanda said.

"Sorry, no idea."

In a fit of uncharacteristic anger Amanda threw the puzzle and her
pencil across the room, the pencil bouncing off the wall. Lee was
astonished-usually he was the one to have these kind of outbursts-not
Amanda. "It doesn't matter," she said. "Why do I even care about
culture mediums, oyster beds, or any of these things when my baby's in
surgery?" Tears were glistening in her dark eyes.

Lee took her into his arms-his own eyes weren't so dry either. "It'll
be all right," he said, rubbing the small of Amanda's back in soothing
circles with the palm of his hand. "She was only shot in the leg and
the bleeding didn't look all that heavy." He was trying to convince
himself with his words as well as Amanda-Lee knew from personal
experience that even the most minor gunshot wounds could turn out to
be very serious indeed. Seeing Jenna lying on a gurney once again,
with tubes in her arms and her small face covered by an oxygen mask
had just about wrenched his heart from his chest. "She's strong,
Amanda." Lee said. "She'll make it."

"It's been one heck of a year for our daughter, hasn't it?" Amanda
said. "Kidnapping, being terrorized and now she's been shot."

"I know," Lee said. "If Jenna survives to adolescence someone should
give her a medal."

There was a squeaking sound as the door swung open. Both Lee and
Amanda looked up to see Billy.

"How is Jenna?" Billy asked. He sat down in one of the chairs
opposite.

"We don't know," Lee said. "The N.E.S.T team swept her right into
surgery the moment we arrived and we haven't heard a thing since."

"How about you?" Billy indicated Lee's bandaged arm.

"What? It was just a graze," Lee said, impatience creeping into his
voice. "Do you have any news?"

"Well the good news is that we caught the shooter," Billy said.
"Formerly Katie Johnston, she now goes by Katie Roberts."

"Roberts?" Amanda's eyes widened. "She's the one who runs the Dance
Team at Kenmore."

Billy nodded grimly. "It ties in with Whitaker's murder perfectly, and
she was probably the one who turned off the lights and locked the
locker room."

"What's the bad news?" Amanda asked.

"The bad news is that we don't think she was working alone." Billy said.

"You mean Dennis," Lee said. "You said earlier that Francine was close
to finding information on him?"

Billy took a deep breath, taking a piece of paper out of his jacket
pocket. "After 1979, Dennis Johnston became Dennis Johnson, followed
by Kenneth Mckendrick , Stephen Patrick and most recently Nolan
Robertson. New ID's and Social Security numbers for each one."

"It's really that easy to do?" Amanda's eyes were wide.

"Anything's easy if you're willing to pay the money for it,
unfortunately," Billy said.

"Any idea what name he could be using now?" Amanda asked.

"Francine's working on that," Billy said. "This man drifts from state
to state, Amanda. He's had some- run-ins with the law, but he's never
been indicted or convicted of anything stronger than a speeding ticket."

"What kind of run-ins with the law did he have, exactly?" Lee said,
knowing that Billy wasn't giving him the entire story. "Billy please,
I need to know."

"You're not going to like it, Lee," Billy said. "Some children went
missing when he was around. Four children, to be exact. All female,
all between the ages of 9 and 13, in four different states. In each
case Dennis was always questioned, but since there was never any
evidence against him and the children were never found they had to let
him go."

"Oh my god it just gets worse." Lee ran one hand over his
face, thinking again about what he had found in the locker room, what

might have happened. He felt Amanda's hand slip into his

and he knew she was thinking about the same thing. "We

have to find him."

"Well Francine is interrogating Katie Roberts now," Billy said. "But
so far she hasn't been very forthcoming. We're also looking into the
backgrounds of all the teachers who started working at Kenmore this
year-that could take some time."

"Do you have a list of all those teachers?" Amanda said. "If I could
look at it something might jump out at me."

"Here," Billy said, fishing a folded piece of paper from his jacket
pocket and handing it to Amanda.

"Has anyone spoken to Gary?" Lee asked. "He's tied up in this mess
somehow, Billy. Does he have anything to say?"

"Not much," Billy said. "He's in the infirmary after inmates beat him
up again- this is his third hospitalization since he started his
sentence."

"Well considering what he did to Jenna, you'll forgive me if I don't
feel much sympathy," Lee said. "Did he tell you anything?"

"Nothing," Billy sighed. "Doctors allowed our agents ten minutes with
Gary Johnston and all he did was smile and say that things were being
taken care of."

"Give me ten minutes with the guy and that wouldn't be a problem," Lee
muttered. Amanda squeezed his hand gently.

"What about Jenna?" Amanda said. "Once she gets out of surgery we'll
need to keep her safe."

"I know, Amanda. Once she's out we'll station a guard
outside the recovery room. We're also providing you with a private
hospital suite," Billy said. "No one will be able to get in or out of
that room without you or Lee's permission."

"And Philip and Jamie?" Lee asked.

"We're still watching them, but at this moment we don't believe
they're in any real danger," Billy said. "Chances are that if Dennis
Johnston is going to try anything, he'll try it here. Anything on that
list jump out at you?" he asked Amanda.

Amanda pursed her lips. "Not really." she ran her finger
down the list. "But this woman, the History teacher Mrs. Bryson, isn't
there anymore. She had to have emergency surgery and the school hired
a semester replacement and he's a Mr.- I can't remember what his name
is, but he's Jenna's favorite teacher now-she talks about him all the
time."

"Well, when she's feeling better ask her and call me," Billy said.
"I've got to go now-oh I almost forgot." He pulled out a small
stuffed bear and a book out of his pocket, handing the things to Lee.
"The stuffed animal is from Jeannie and I and the book is from
Francine-she said that Jenna really wanted that book."

Lee looked at the cover of Stormbreaker, then turned it over to read
the back cover. The words spy' and MI-6' leaped out a him. "Spy
fiction?" he said in disbelief. "When did she start getting into that?"

Billy's only response  was laughter.

9:45 PM

"Look," Francine said, leaning across the table and glaring at the
woman who was sitting across from her. "Sooner or later you're going
to have to talk-you can save us both a lot of trouble if you just tell
me where he is."

Katie Robert's slender wrists were handcuffed to the chair where she
was sitting-her face was without expression as she stared at Francine.

"Where who is?" Katie said.

"Don't play dumb, Mrs. Roberts. I want to know where your brother
Dennis is and what name he's using."

"Well, right at the moment I have know idea where Dennis is," Katie
said acidly. "I've been here in this chair for at least three hours,
haven't I? As to what name he's using, let's just say that's
privileged information."

Francine resisted the urge to strangle the woman right here and wipe
that smug smile from Katie Robert's face. "You realize that we can
make you talk. There are drugs-this is the easy way, Mrs.
Roberts. Would you really prefer the hard way?"

Mrs. Roberts' blue eyes looked into Francine's. Without warning she
began to laugh, the sound sending chills down Francine's spine. "You
know you won't do that-you don't have the time. Soon Dennis will have
Jenna, and our brother Gary will be avenged. Incidentally, how is poor
little Jenna doing?"

Francine's expression hardened. "Like you said, that's privileged
information," she said, putting the contempt she felt for Mrs. Roberts
into each syllable. Francine leaned further forward. "Lee Stetson is
very well-liked around this agency, and so is his family. So I pretty
much have a green light to do whatever I want with you to find out the
information I need. Do we understand one another?"

For the first time since the interrogation began, Francine noticed a
look of apprehension in the other woman's eyes.

11:30 PM

"Jenna got out of surgery fifteen minutes ago." the man'sbadge identified him as Dr. Harry Jameson, N.E.S.T. surgeon. "We were
able to remove the bullet completely. The tibia, the main bone in the
lower right leg, was broken in three places, so we repaired the bone
with plates and screws."

"Are there any other problems?" Lee asked. "What about infection,
stuff like that?"

"Well it was an open fracture so we'll have her on antibiotics to
ward off any infection." Dr. Jameson said. "We cleaned and irrigated
the gunshot wound before we closed it, but as you know there's always
a risk."

Lee nodded. Lord knew he'd been shot himself often enough.

"Does she have a cast?" Amanda asked.

"She'll have a long fiberglass cast for about four to six weeks."
Dr. Jameson said. "If everything works out after that we can get Jenna
in a walking cast and onto some physical therapy. In the meantime I
don't want her to put any weight on that leg-she should keep it
elevated and iced." The Doctor's pager bleeped, and he looked at it.
"They're moving her to the recovery room right now-if you'd like to
follow me-we need to get you suited up first."

11:45 PM

Jenna's leg hurt. More than hurt, actually-the pain made it feel as
though it were on fire, and when Jenna tried to move it she found that
she couldn't. Her face felt so hot, but her body was shivering and
she didn't know why. What had happened? All Jenna could remember were
noises and something hitting her leg. A bullet? Shooting. Someone had
been shooting at them, Dad had been shooting back and then? If
anything came after that Jenna couldn't recall.

"Wakey, wakey, Jenna," a man's voice said. "I can tell that you're
conscious. Please open your eyes."

Dad? Jenna thought. No, this wasn't Dad. Dad's voice was
kind-something about the tone of this man's voice frightened her.
Jenna she couldn't shake the awful feeling that she'd heard the voice
somewhere before.

Icy fingers brushed against her cheek, going up and down very gently
and then-Jenna cried out in sudden pain as her hair was roughly
grabbed and pulled, causing her neck to jerk painfully backwards.

"Do I have your attention?" Jenna could feel his breath on her cheek. "Now open your eyes."

Jenna opened her eyes.  The small motion sent nausea racing through
her stomach. She realized that she wasn't lying down but sitting up
instead. Suddenly Jenna retched, a rush of bitter liquid rising
up through her throat and out of her mouth, splashing her lap.

"My my. Someone sure made a mess of
themselves, didn't they?"

Everything was blurry, but Jenna could make out a dark figure in front
of her.

"Hello, Jenna," the man said. "I've been waiting for some time alone
with you-pity it had to be like this." Her vision began to clear slowly.

"No," Jenna whispered in horror as she saw the person who was standing
there.

11:50 PM

Getting suited up', as Lee and Amanda discovered, involved scrubbing
up and donning caps, gowns, gloves and even face masks. It was very
important for germs and infections to be kept out of the recovery
room, Dr. Jameson explained as he led them down the corridor. Just
then the surgeon's pager beeped. He looked down at it and his face
paled slightly.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stetson, If you'll excuse me," he said. "Something's
just come up."

"Is something wrong?" Amanda asked.

"Just a minor irregularity," Dr. Jameson said. "Nothing for you to be
concerned about. You'll find the recovery room down that corridor-" he
pointed "-the second set of double doors to your left."

Lee and Amanda walked down the corridor he'd indicated. The sign on
the top of the door read "Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit."

"This must be it," Amanda said. "But shouldn't there be a guard at the
door?"

"Maybe he's inside," Lee suggested, his voice muffled by the mask.
Something about this was starting to make him feel vaguely uneasy-he
wasn't quite sure why. Lee pushed open the swinging doors, Amanda
following closely behind. No guard here either. Just a doctor in green
scrubs and a parrot on his head. The doctor was going through the ward
from bed to bed, dancing to "Cheeseburger in Paradise," the Jimmy
Buffet song which was blaring from a nearby boom-box. He was even
wearing a parrot on his head, Lee noticed. Fluorescent lighting gave
the scene a vaguely surreal appearance and only added to his uneasiness.

"Amanda, is that guy nuts?" Lee hissed. "It's late at night and these
children are ill-the last thing they need is to listen to that racket."

"Well, they do say that sometimes music in the recovery room helps the
children feel better," Amanda said as they walked around, looking for

their daughter. "I volunteered in her quite a few times, you

know."

"You didn't play Jimmy Buffet, did you?" Lee said.

"Well no," Amanda said. "We played soft music to help the children
relax and sleep."

"At least that makes sense," Lee murmured, watching as the doctor
whirled around like a dervish. "I sure hope that guy's not looking
after Jenna. I don't trust a doctor who dances and wears a foam parrot
on his head."

"You just don't trust any doctors, period." Amanda said. "And most of
them are actually good people, you know-what?" She said as Lee
suddenly clutched her upper arm.

"Amanda, we've walked all around the ward," Lee said. His uneasiness
was fast becoming full-blown panic. "There are twenty beds here and
we haven't seen Jenna."

Amanda turned around. "Lee, don't be silly. She's probably still
asleep. We must have just missed-" her voice faded away. "Oh my
gosh," she whispered.

"There was no guard out there.We should've known
something was wrong."

"Maybe they took Jenna to a private room."

"So soon after surgery?"

"No you're right," Amanda said. "But then where could she-"

"I don't know," Lee said, his mind racing with the possibilities, each
one more frightening than the last. It felt as though his heart was
going to beat right through his chest cavity. Lee felt Amanda's
trembling hand in his and he gave it a gentle squeeze. "With any luck
she hasn't been taken out of the hospital. Let's see if that doctor
knows anything, okay?"

"Okay," Amanda said. Cheeseburger in Paradise' had started playing
from the beginning once again, as if the song were on a loop. But the
doctor wasn't dancing now. He was standing in the middle of the floor,
watching as they approached.

"Excuse me, Dr. --Amis." Amanda read the name off the tag on
the man's shirt. "But my daughter just got out of surgery. She's
supposed to be in this room, only we can't find her. Can you help us?"

The Doctor smiled, bright blue eyes peering out from behind a pair of
glasses. "Help you?Of course I can help you, Mrs.
Stetson." Reaching into the pocket of his scrubs, he pulled out a
gun, pointing it at her. Amanda took a step back and Lee stepped in
front of his wife, protecting her.

"Dennis," Lee said, remembering the faces in the black and white
photograph. He was older and greyer, but undoubtedly the same man.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Stetson," Dennis Johnston said. "You must
have a good eye for faces." He cocked the gun. "Now, hand over your
weapon, please. I know you're armed. If you don't, I may have to shoot
you along some of these lovely children. Are you prepared to risk
their lives as well?"

In the background Lee could hear panicked gasps, children crying, and
the nurses calling security. Slowly he removed the gun from his
holster and handed it to Dennis, who slipped it into the pocket of the
scrubs.

"Thank you," Dennis said.

"Where's the real Dr. Amis?" Amanda said.

"Taking a permanent nap in the supply closet," Dennis said. "Along
with the security guard who didn't feel like cooperating."

"You mean you killed them," Lee said.

"Well I asked nicely at first, but some people have to learn the hard
way," Dennis said.

"What about Jenna?" Lee said.

"Well she's alive," Dennis said. "For now, anyway. Such a pretty
girl, isn't she? Even in a hospital gown."

Lee spoke between gritted teeth, his fists clenched. "If she's hurt at
all, in any way, I'll-"

Dennis laughed. "You'll what? I'm the one holding the gun, Mr.
Stetson, and I'd like you to come with me. I think that Jenna would
enjoy your company. Don't you?"

TBC