- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
Part Four

November 6, 2001

9:25 AM

"Amanda not in yet?" Francine asked, as she walked through the door of
the Q Bureau.

"Not yet, no," Lee said. "I've tried her cell phone, but she doesn't
answer."

Francine looked at her watch. "It's possible that she's stuck in
traffic. It doesn't necessarily mean anything bad."

"That's true," Lee said. "Amanda doesn't believe in using her cell
phone while she's driving." He heard his voice saying the words, but
he wasn't really sure that he believed them. Since the note and the
photographs, Lee's anxiety level had reached an all-time high.

"Well look, if she doesn't arrive within the next ten minutes we'll
start to worry," Francine said. "In the meantime, here's that
background profile on Gary Johnston you wanted. It's very thorough."

"That was quick." Lee flipped through the thick sheaf of papers.

"Well we actually started compiling it back in January," Francine
said. "But the computer turned up more recent information so we
included that as well. One thing we know for sure is that he didn't write the letters. All ingoing and outgoing mail from the prison is strictly monitored."

"Still I'm willing to bet he's involved somehow."

"So would I," Francine agreed. "That's why I'm sending someone over to
question him. And before you ask, that someone is not you, Scarecrow.
Billy and I both agreed that you're way too close on this. "

"What about the gifts?" Lee said. "Any prints or DNA?"

Francine shook her head. "Nothing," she said. "We even ran a test on
the candy corn and it's clean-no substances or anything."

Lee sighed. "So what you're telling me is that we have nothing?"

"Not exactly," Francine said. "The letter was another matter-the
handwriting and the wording are very similar to a letter to the editor
that was written to the Washington Times two weeks after the
sentencing hearing-one that we intercepted before publication." She
handed Lee a sheet of paper that was encased in plastic. "See for
yourself."

Lee read out loud. "Those who have conspired to bring down Gary
Johnston will pay the ultimate price, the girl and her family will
suffer for their lies" his face darkened. "It's just signed Rache--the German word for revenge.'"

"I know." Francine 's blue eyes clouded over. "At the time we thought it was just some crackpot-maybe if we'd looked into it more deeply this wouldn't be happening now."

"It's okay, Francine," Lee said. "You couldn't have known. I would've
thought the same thing."

"How was Jenna this morning?" Francine asked.

"Not too great." Lee opened the Johnston file. "She had a
night terror last night. I thought we'd come so far since the
kidnapping, but now it feels like we're back at square one."

"Lee, she's a strong girl," Francine said. "And she has all of us to
support her."

"I guess," Lee said, rifling through the papers furiously. "It's just
that everything was back to normal and now-hey." he looked up
at Francine "I didn't know that Johnston had a younger brother."

"Not just a brother, he had a little sister too," Francine said. "Had
being the operative word. Dennis, Katie and Gary Johnston were sent to
separate foster homes over thirty years ago."

"Do they keep in touch?"

"Hard to say," Francine said. "We haven't managed to locate them as of
yet. Katie probably married and changed her name. Dennis is the one
who seems to have dropped off the map. He could be anywhere."

"Living under a completely new identity," Lee said. "Has anyone tried
to find out?"

"Like I said, we're working on it."

Just then Lee's cell phone rang. "Amanda?" Lee said as he flipped open
his phone. "Sorry, it's just that I was expecting a call from my
wife-she has? Is she hurt?" Lee's voice grew louder and his expression
became one of frantic worry. "I'll be there," he said, flipping the
phone closed. Lee stood, putting on his jacket.

"I have to get to the hospital," he told  Francine. "It's
Amanda-she's been in a car accident."

12:00 PM

Lee sat in the hospital waiting room, shifting in his chair, which was
upholstered in slippery orange plastic. Did they always have to make
these things so damned uncomfortable? There was a television set
mounted on the far wall. Lee tried to force himself to concentrate on
some inane talk show about paternity tests, but it did very little to
alleviate his anxiety. He wondered if he should go to the nurses'
station for the sixth time but decided against it. With his luck those
nurses would probably call security and have him thrown out.

Your wife has been in a car accident, Mr. Stetson.' That was what
the voice on his cell phone had said and so far that was all that Lee
knew. No one would tell him any details about the accident, how badly
Amanda was hurt-nothing at all. With a hiss of frustration Lee hit a
nearby wall with his fist. An older man reading a magazine glanced up
sharply, but as he met Lee's gaze his attention returned abruptly to
his magazine.

"Did that help?" a female voice inquired.

"What's it to-" Lee's voice faded away as he looked up at a woman
wearing a white coat bearing a badge with the name of Dr. Morrison.

"I'm sorry Doctor," Lee said. "I guess I'm just a little on edge."

Dr. Morrison smiled. "You must be Lee Stetson," she said. Lee nodded.
"Your wife described you very well."

"Amanda?" Lee's hopes rose. She must be okay if she was able
to talk to the doctor. "How is she?"

"She sustained a slight concussion when her head struck the steering
wheel and had a momentary loss of consciousness," Dr. Morrison said.
"It's not serious, but we would like to keep her here overnight for
observation."

"Can I see her?" Lee asked.

"Of course," Dr. Morrison said, and Lee followed her to one of the
curtained cubicle. As he came closer could hear Amanda's voice.

"No I don't want to stay here overnight," she was saying. "I'll be
just fine at home. If you'll just give me the release forms and tell
me where my clothes are I'll be on my way."

"I'm sorry ma'am," a halting male voice explained, "but I'm not
authorized to make that decision."

"Well then let me talk to someone who his," Amanda said. Dr. Morrison
pushed the curtain aside and Amanda and the intern both looked up with
startled expressions on their faces. Amanda's expression turned to one
of relief as she saw her husband.

"Lee!" she said happily. Lee crossed the room and enveloped his wife
in a gentle hug, followed by a kiss which only ended when Dr. Morrison
cleared her throat and reminded them that they weren't alone.

"How are you feeling?" Lee asked Amanda, his hand running gently
across her cheekbone. He could see the beginnings of what would be a
nasty bruise on her forehead.

"Fine," Amanda said. "Well, maybe not fine-my head hurts and I have
the feeling I'll probably be really sore tomorrow."

"What happened?"

"Well the last thing I remember was being at the red light," Amanda
said. "Then there were these really bright headlights and something
rammed into me. I guess I must have hit my head on the steering wheel
because I blacked out for a few seconds and the next thing I know the
paramedics were there. What I don't understand is why the airbag
didn't work-that was one of the reasons why we bought the Taurus."

Lee didn't know either, but his mind was forming some nasty
suspicions. "What about the other car?" He said.

"The witnesses said it left the scene before the paramedics came,"
Amanda said. "All anyone knows is that it was a red pickup. Lee do you
think this is connected to-" her voice broke off as they looked up at
Dr. Morrison.

"It's a possibility," Lee said, keeping his voice low. "I want to have
the Taurus checked out by Gino, Amanda. He'll be able to tell if it's
been tampered with and why the airbag didn't work. There are other
things I need to fill you in on later."

"Later at home, right?" Amanda said. "I really don't want to stay here."

"Amanda, if Dr. Morrison thinks it's best maybe you should stay," Lee
said. "A head injury can be a serious thing. Remember Jenna?"

"This is nothing like Jenna," Amanda said, lowering her voice to a
whisper. "I'm not confused and I only lost consciousness for a minute
or two. If this accident is connected to Jenna's situation I don't
want her to find out about it." Lee tried to say something, but Amanda
talked right over him in typical fashion. "Jenna's worried enough as
it is and I don't want her to see me in a hospital bed."

"I understand," Lee said. "I'll see what I can do."

6:30 PM

"Mom, can I get you anything else to eat?" Jenna asked.

"Oh sweetheart I think I'm full," Amanda said, putting her spoon in
the bowl. She was lying on the family room sofa, an afghan over her
legs and a cold pack on her head. "This was really good soup. Beef and
vegetable?"

"Yeah it was. Dad made the soup, mostly," Jenna said, "But I made the
wraps in the toaster oven."

"Well the wraps were really good too."

"I'm glad," Jenna said. She was smiling, but Amanda could see the
apprehension in her daughter's eyes.

"Jenna, I'm fine," Amanda said. "Really. It was just an accident at work."

"Are you sure?" Jenna asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," Amanda said. "We were out on the photo shoot and I
banged my head on a camera. It's just a bump. The company doctor told
me to take it easy."

Jenna sat down beside Amanda on the couch. "I'm sorry Mom," she said.
"I just worry, that's all. I don't want anything to happen to you
because of-because of all this."

Amanda pulled Jenna into a tight hug, thinking back to the time when
Jenna was just a baby and small enough to snuggle in her arms. "I know
you do," she said. "We all worry about the people we love." Looking
over Jenna's shoulder Amanda could see Lee, standing in the kitchen
doorway.

"Jenna, I cleared most of the dishes away," Lee said. "Do you want to
load the dishwasher?"

"Sure Dad," Jenna said, standing up and grabbing the bowl, spoon and
plate from the tray table next to the sofa and going into the kitchen.
Just like Jenna, Lee sat beside Amanda on the sofa.

"You really sure you're okay?" he asked.

Amanda sighed. "I'm only saying this one more time, Lee. Yes, I'm
okay. Jenna is the one that I'm really worried about. Are we any
closer to catching the person who's doing this?"

"Not really," From the kitchen they could hear the noise of Jenna
rinsing off the plates and putting them into the washing machine. Lee
lowered his voice slightly. "There are two possible leads-a brother
and sister, but so far there's been no luck in locating them. All that
we can do now is wait."

"Wait for him to make the next move," Amanda said. The thought of what
that next move might be made her shiver and Lee pulled her into his
warm embrace.

Wednesday,
November 7, 2001
2:00 AM

The sound of the buzzer woke Suzanne out of a deep sleep and into the
cold harsh reality as she sat up, looking around at her dingy
apartment. She'd been dreaming that everything was back to normal,
that Marcie was alive and that Gary was the sweet and wonderful man
that Suzanne had always known he could've been. Slowly she brushed a
tear from her eye. The remains of her dinner still lay in front of her
on the coffee table-Suzanne no longer had the energy to clean
anything. She didn't seem to have any energy at all, actually.

The buzzer rang again. Before Suzanne could get over there to open it
there was a loud bang and the door flew inwards, knocking some of the
hinges loose. A man stepped through, and smiled at her thinly.

"Hello, Suzanne," Dennis said. "Nice to meet you again."

"What are you-" Suzanne began, her voice trembling as she spoke.. That
was when she saw the knife that he was holding. Soon after that, she
began screaming.

2:30 AM

The figure in black was holding Jenna tightly, pressing a knife
against her throat. Jenna's face was pale and tearstained as she
looked into her father's eyes.

"Let her go," Lee said. "Please-take me instead."

"No chance, Stetson," the voice said, and before Lee had a chance to
react the blade was drawn across his daughter's throat and she fell…
"No!" Lee shouted.

His heart was pounding as he sat up in bed. It took a moment to
reorient himself and realize that it had all been a dream. Amanda was
still sleeping beside him-thank God he hadn't woken her. Lee could hear the faint sound of music--coming from downstairs. He stood and
pulled on his robe, sliding his feet into the slippers that Amanda had
bought him for his last birthday. As he went downstairs the sound
became louder-it was coming from the family-room television. On the
couch lay Jenna, sound asleep. One arm held the remote and hung limply
over the side of the sofa. Lee turned off the television set, pried
the remote out of Jenna's fingers and lifted his daughter into his
arms-something he hadn't done since she was six.

Jenna's eyes opened slightly. "Dad?" She whispered. "What-"

"I'm just taking you back to your bed," Lee said. "Did you have a bad
dream?"

"Trying not to have one," Jenna said, her voice slightly slurry from
fatigue. "I thought that if I stayed up until I was too tired…"

"Not a good idea, munchkin," Lee said, but his daughter's eyes were
closed and he wasn't so sure if she'd heard him. Lee tucked Jenna into
her bed and turned to leave.

"Nightlight?"

"Already on,"

"G'nite," Jenna said. Lee stood in the doorway, watching her
and making sure that she was really asleep before he left.

TBC