Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Two

Q Bureau

Tuesday, December 16, 1997

10:20 AM

"Come on, Francine, you've got to be kidding me!" Lee said
incredulously. " PAMS? Those people are a joke-no one takes them
seriously."

"As of this moment, we do, Scarecrow," Francine said, handing both Lee
and Amanda file folders. "In fact, I contacted Billy last night-he's
made it Priority One." Since Dr. Smyth's demise this last year, Billy
had been promoted to Agency head and Francine had taken over as
Section Chief.

"PAMS?" Amanda said. "Aren't those the people who go around the
country protesting?"

"Pretty much," Francine said. " People for A Moral Society' was
founded in 1978 by the Reverend Liam McIlvaney and his wife Grainne
after they were thrown out of their Baptist church for being too
fanatical and calling for violence against unbelievers. Most of the
members are actually relatives. They protest against television shows,
movies, certain books in public libraries, against public schools,
against women wearing pants or working outside the home-you name it.
Their current campaign is against dancing, apparently."

"That still doesn't explain why this is Priority One," Lee said.

"We heard rumors about a year ago that McIlvaney was planning some
sort of biological terrorism," Francine said. "It took some doing, but
we were able to plant Special Agent Laurie Mitford inside the group
under deep cover. Last night she managed to contact us from a pay
phone. She told us that PAMS members acquired a viral toxin from a
mole within the CDC."

"VEE?" Amanda said, as she read from the file folder. "What is that?"

"It stands for Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis,

" Francine said. "The
virus is usually spread by mosquitoes. It's very rare in the US, but
the doctors at the CDC told me that there have been epidemics in other
parts of the world. Also, this particular strain is highly infectious
and resistant to most treatments. "

"How would it be spread?" Amanda said.

"Next to mosquitoes, contaminating the food would be the fastest
route," Francine said. "This is pretty nasty stuff. Even if the
victims manage to survive the illness, they usually end up with
permanent damage."

"So we need to find this stuff before they have a chance to use it,"
Lee said. "It doesn't say anything in here about who the target will
be."

"That's because we don't know," Francine said, her expression
turning grim. "All that Mitford was able to tell us was that she
thought that it had something to do with dancing and that children
would be involved."

"Children?" Amanda repeated. Lee could hear the fear in his wife's
voice, and he gently squeezed her hand. Francine nodded.

"Children would be the most vulnerable to the effects," Francine said.
"She also mentioned another mole planted within the target
organization- a person known as Nimrod. At that point we lost contact."

"Nimrod sounds familiar," Lee said.

"It's a biblical reference from Genesis," Francine said. "Nimrod was a
hunter-I suppose that's apt in this case."

"Sounds like the agent's cover might have been blown," Amanda said.

"What we need to do is get inside and find out what happened to her
and what the groups' plans are." Lee said.

"That's easier said than done," Francine said. "PAMS is an extremely
secretive group. They change locations and their protests are so
frequent that the media doesn't even bother to cover them anymore."

"Children and dance," Amanda said. "Some kind of children's dance
performance, probably."

"We thought that too. But do you have any idea how many of those are
going on this time of year?" Francine said. "There are at least a few
hundred in the DC area alone. Without any more to go on we're just
stumbling around in the dark."

"Yeah, even Jenna's performing in the-" Lee's voice broke off as he
thought back to the conversation he'd had with Jenna last night and
what she'd said about the group across the street. He felt suddenly
cold as he looked up at Francine and Amanda.

"I think I know where they are," Lee said. "I might even know who
their target organization will be."

Lee just hoped to God that he was wrong.

5:30 PM

"This is what Jenna was talking about on the phone?" Lee said. "The
big secret? She wants us to volunteer in The Nutcracker'? "

"Yes," Amanda said. "The Community Center used to be able to hire
people, but Lisa's mother told me that the budget was cut in half this
year, so-" she shrugged. "They need people to help out with finishing
the sets, costumes, lighting-basically anything that needs doing."

"Doesn't sound too hard," Lee said, "Is there anything else?"

"You'll also need to appear in the party scene with the other parents
and a little dancing could be involved." Amanda said. "Lee I'm sorry
I didn't ask you earlier. Jenna wanted to ask you right away, but I
told her to wait."

"Amanda, it's fine," Lee said, keeping his eyes on the road as he
merged onto the I-66 heading for Arlington. "It's perfect, actually.
PAMS would be suspicious of two new members at this point. But two
more parent volunteers for The Nutcracker' wouldn't attract any
attention at all."

"That's true," Amanda said.

"When do we start?" Lee said.

"Well the performance is scheduled for the twentieth and the dress
rehearsal is the night before," Amanda said. "The schools break for
the holidays the day after tomorrow so the Center's really going to be
rushing to put the last of the scenery together."

"So it's like an all-day sort of thing," Lee said.

"Pretty much," Amanda said. "You don't mind, do you?"

"Mind? Of course not," Lee said. "This way we'd be able to keep an
eye on PAMS and monitor everything that goes on at the Community
Center. I don't even mind participating onstage in the as long as
there are no tights involved." He sneaked a sidelong glance at his
wife. "There are no tights involved, right?"

"No tights at all, I promise," Amanda said.

"There's only one problem," Lee said, clenching his fist and knocking
it against the steering wheel. "And she happens to be our excuse for
being there."

"I know," Amanda's voice was quiet.

"I don't like the idea of Jenna being part of our cover, Amanda," Lee
said. "I don't like the idea of Jenna being there at all. You heard
what Francine said about this toxin. Jenna could be hurt."

"I don't want her involved either," Amanda said. Her hand was resting
on her husband's shoulder as he drove. "But what will we tell her?
Jenna adores The Nutcracker, you know that."

"She's been in it every year since kindergarten, " Lee said with a
faint smile. "Remember the first year when she did that little Chinese
dance?"

"Remember it?-We still have it on video." Amanda said. "Lee, if we
tell her she can't be in that ballet this year it'll break her heart.
What reason would we give?"

"We can't tell her the truth," Lee said. "She's still too young."

"It would just be another lie," Amanda said. "There are enough lies as
it is."

"We could shut the whole ballet down." Lee said.

"That really wouldn't change anything, would it?" Amanda said "The
group would still have the toxin-they'd just find another target."

"You're right," Lee said, falling silent for a moment. "Maybe we could
send her somewhere until this is over,"

"Where?" Amanda said.

"What about your Uncle Chester?" Lee said. "Jenna would love it in
Vermont, Amanda. All that snow-she could even go skiing. We could send
Dotty with her."

"Lee, my mother is not going to want to go to Vermont this close to
Christmas," Amanda said. "Also, Uncle Chester's health isn't so good
right now. I don't think he's going to want to cope with an eight-year
old."

"Yeah," Lee said. He pulled into the driveway right behind Dotty's
car, which had been last year's Christmas present after his
mother-in-law had learned to drive. "What are we going to tell her?"

"I don't know," Amanda said as they got out of the car and went down
the front walk. She pushed open the front door. "But we have to think
of something."

Before they even had time to remove their coats Jenna came flying down
the stairs.

"This is my costume for The Nutcracker," she said breathlessly, her
dark eyes shining. "Do you like it?"

"It's-" Lee looked at Jenna, wearing an ankle- length golden colored
dress over long pantaloons. Her ballet shoes were the same color as
the dress and her dark blond hair was tied back with a matching
ribbon. Someone had curled the back of Jenna's hair into long smooth
ringlets. But the thing Lee noticed most was his daughter's smile.
She was practically glowing, lit up brighter than the string of lights
that circled the banister. He looked over at Amanda and knew they
were both thinking the same thing.

How on earth could they tell her?

"Do you like it?" Jenna repeated.

"Sweetheart, it's beautiful," Amanda said. She and Lee took off their
gloves and coats, hanging them beside the door.

"I agree, munchkin," Lee said. "It's a beautiful dress."

"Jenna at least give them a chance to sit down first," Dotty chided
mildly as she came downstairs. "You can show them a little bit of
your dance in the family room in just a minute. Now go in there and
wait."

"Okay Grandma," Jenna said.

Turning to Lee and Amanda Dotty said. "I did her hair with the
curling iron and told her she could show everything off, but then it
has to go right back in the garment bag. Jenna loves that dress so
much she'd sleep in it if we let her."

They went into the family room. Lee and Amanda sat together on the
couch while Dotty sat in the armchair. Jenna was standing in front of
the Christmas tree.

"We're ready, sweetheart," Amanda said.

"Okay," Jenna said. "Well first we get our baby dolls and then we sit
on the floor and rock them-then we give the dolls back and the girls
make one circle and the boys make another-and the boys dance and bow
to us, and we curtsey and dance-" While she spoke, Jenna made skipping
motions with her feet and held her skirts out gracefully. "There are
some other things, but I don't think there's enough room to show you
right now. Our teacher says there's even going to be a maypole this
year."

"That's wonderful, Jenna," Lee said, clearing his throat. "But there
are some things that we need to talk about.

"What kind of things?" Jenna said.

"Just come and sit over here." Lee said, patting the sofa.

"Sure," Jenna said, sitting between her parents. "What is it?"

Lee looked into his daughter's face-her eyes and hopeful expression
reminded him so much of Amanda that he was speechless for a moment.
"Jenna," he began. "Your mother and I-well-something' s come up and we
won't-I mean, you can't-"

"What's come up?" Jenna said. "Is something wrong? Did something
happen?"

"Sort of," Lee said. "And because of that we're not sure if the
ballet-" Jenna's expression was growing more confused by the minute.

"What about the ballet?" Jenna said.

Lee looked over Jenna's head at Amanda, who quickly took over.

"Jenna, you know your father and I love you and we want you to be
safe, right?" Amanda said.

"Yes," Jenna said. "But I don't understand. Is there something wrong
with the ballet?"

"Not exactly," Amanda said. "We just think that it might be safer if
maybe you didn't-"

"If maybe I didn't what?" Jenna said. Her voice shook slightly. "Why
won't you tell me?"

"Just what is going on here?" Dotty said.

"We just want to say that-well-your Mom asked me and we'll both be
volunteering in the play," Lee said finally.

"You will?" Jenna said, surprised delight playing over her features.
She gave Lee a big hug. "That's great-I was really worried for a
second-thank you guys!"

Amanda looked at Lee and all he could do was shrug helplessly.

Dotty pulled herself out of the armchair. "Well, dinner's on the
table-we really should eat before it gets cold. Jenna, go and change
back into your regular clothes-the last thing you need to do is get
food on that nice dress."

"Alright, Grandma." Jenna ran upstairs. Dotty turned to look at Lee
and Amanda.

"Just what was all that about?" Dotty said. "Does this involve
Agency business? I'll understand if you can't give me any details,
just tell me."

"Yes it does, mother," Amanda said.

"Is Jenna in any danger?" Dotty asked.

"Not if everything goes the way it should," Lee said.

"You just make sure that it does," Dotty said quietly. "I don't want
anything to happen to my Granddaughter. "

"We feel the same way, Mother," Amanda said. Lee saw the look in his
wife's eyes as she shot him a glance, letting him know that they would
discuss this later.

8:15 PM

"Look, I know I should've told her," Lee said, running one hand
through his hair. "And I was going to. I just-I looked at her face and
I couldn't do it. "

"Believe me, I understand," Amanda said. "But this could be very
dangerous."

"I know that," Lee said.

"Do you?" Amanda said. "I used to volunteer in a hospital. I saw
children with encephalitis. There was one little girl who fell into a
coma and when she came out of it she had to relearn everything all
over again. I don't want to see Jenna in that position."

"You think I do?" Lee said. "Amanda, I feel the same way. But you saw
how happy she was. How do you think she would've taken it if we'd told
her that she couldn't be in the ballet without being able to tell her
why?"

"I know that," Amanda said. "And to be honest I couldn't bring myself
to do it either. But she's my baby, Lee. If anything ever happened to
her I-" she couldn't finish the sentence and Lee wrapped his arms
tightly around her.

"We know the people who have the vial and we have some idea of how
they plan on using it," Lee said. "If everything goes the way it's
supposed to they won't even get close to Jenna and the other children."

"Since when has anything ever gone the way it's supposed to in this
job?" Amanda said. "Just promise me two things, Lee. Jenna is not
going to eat or drink anything there except what we personally give
her-not even so much as a candy bar or soda from the vending machine-"

"I promise-" Lee began. But Amanda wasn't finished.

"-and if we don't find the mole, or if Jenna or another child gets a
headache, fever, or anything more serious than the sniffles we pull
the plug on the Ballet immediately. I don't care if it's opening night."

"Agreed, Mrs. Stetson," Lee said, bending down to kiss her softly.
"We'll also have some agents keeping surveillance outside in case
someone from PAMS tries to break in."

"I know you think I'm being silly," Amanda said.

"Hey, I don't think you're being silly," Lee said. "I think you're
being a concerned mother. We'll keep her safe, Amanda. Both of us will
be there to keep her safe."

Lee only wished that he felt as convinced as he sounded.

TBC