- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Eight

Friday, December 19, 1997

Thomas Jefferson Community Center

7:30 PM

Amanda was beginning to think that no one would ever find her. It felt
like she'd been banging on this door forever, resting her legs
whenever they began to ache too much. Part of her was tempted to just
give up, but thoughts of Jenna and the other children and what might
happen kept her going.

No pain, no gain Amanda, she told herself firmly, raising her now
trembling legs to thump them against the door once more. Suddenly the
closet door opened, and Amanda looked up with relief at her husband's
concerned face.

"Amanda."  Dropping to his knees beside her, Lee pulled off the
tape that covered her mouth.

"I knew you'd come," Amanda said, glad that she could finally speak
again. Lee bent down for a moment, his lips softly brushing her own
in a quick but passionate kiss.

"Are you all right?" Lee asked as he quickly untied her ankles, then
her wrists. "Oh Amanda-your wrists-"

Amanda knew without looking that they were rubbed raw and bloody.

"Lee, I'm fine." Amanda slowly stood with her husband's help.
"It was Mr. Hunter who grabbed me-he was Nimrod."

"I know," Lee said. "He murdered Lillian Jager and had some sort of
breakdown."

Amanda's eyes widened. "I hope the children didn't-"

"Don't worry, none of the children saw anything and we didn't tell
them what happened," Lee said as they walked down the corridor towards
the stairs. "The problem is that we don't think Hunter was working
alone."

"He wasn't-that's what I need to tell you," Amanda said. "It's Mr.
Townley-that's the man that Hunter was working for."

"The janitor?"

"The janitor is actually Reverend McIlvaney," Amanda said. "He's put
the toxin into some sugarplums that are going to be in the children's
goody-bags."

"Amanda, the dress rehearsal's been cancelled-the children are being
asked to leave," Lee told her. Amanda clutched his arm.

"We can't let the children leave with those bags if they have them."

"I know," Lee said, taking his cell phone out of his pocket and
dialing a number. "Francine?" He said. "It's Scarecrow. Amanda's
here with me-she says the toxin's in the sugarplums in the kids' goody
bags. The Reverend McIlvaney planted it-he's disguised as the janitor
Mr. Townley." There was a pause, and Amanda could hear the faint
sound of Francine's voice as she spoke to Lee.

"Francine, have the children left yet?" Lee closed his eyes briefly,
an expression of relief on his features. "Thank God. Just make sure
that they don't take those bags and that no one's eaten anything. What
was that?" Lee's face paled suddenly and he clutched for Amanda's
hand. "She what?" He said. "No, it's not her fault. We'll be right
there."

"Lee, what is it?" Amanda asked, feeling her own fear rise as she
looked at her husband's face. "What's wrong?"

"It's McIlvaney," Lee said. "He has Jenna."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Amanda!" Her mother's face was pale, her eyes brimming with tears as
Lee and Amanda approached. "Darling, I'm sorry-I never would have let
Jenna go with that man if I'd known -"

"I know." Amanda hugged her mother. "We didn't know ourselves
until just a little while ago." Inwardly she was surprised to hear
how calm her own voice sounded. "It really isn't your fault." She
looked over at Francine and Billy. "Is there any news?"

"Yes," Billy said. "The good news is that we collected all of the bags
and none of the children had a chance to eat anything. The bad news is
that McIlvaney's holding Jenna hostage in the auditorium-he's
threatened to kill her if anyone gets too close and he refuses to
speak with the negotiators."

"Oh my gosh," Amanda whispered. She felt Lee's hand resting on her
back, comforting her. "Why is he doing this? What does he want?"

Lee's cell phone rang. He looked down at the number and Amanda could
see a muscle in his jaw clenching.

"I think we're just about to find out." Lee flipped open his
cell phone. "Stetson here."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"So nice to speak to you, Mr. Stetson," McIlvaney's voice sounded
irritatingly smug. "I acquired your number from a friend of mine-I
hope that doesn't bother you. How is that lovely wife of yours? Doing
well, I trust."

"No thanks to you," Lee said. "I think you ought to know that your
little plan with the sugarplums failed."

"Failed, yes," McIlvaney said. "And it seems that Nimrod has outlived
his usefulness. But the ultimate victory will be mine-it is foretold."

"Just what do you want, McIlvaney?" Lee snapped.

"Well, what I want is you, Mr. Stetson." McIlvaney said. "I'm afraid
that your daughter isn't very good company at the moment. Perhaps
you'd like to do the noble thing and trade yourself for dear little
Jenna."

"If you've done anything to her I swear you'll pay for it," Lee said.

McIlvaney laughed. "You really are such an interesting conundrum," he
said. "My research on you tells me that you and your wife make
documentary films for IFF, but my instincts tell me there's more to
the story than that."

"You're delusional," Lee said.

McIlvaney laughed. "Could be, Mr. Stetson," he said. "But I'm going to
relish the challenge of seeing what more I can find out about you. Now
do we have a deal or not?"

"Let me talk to Jenna first."

"I'm afraid that's impossible," McIlvaney said. "She's- indisposed at
the moment. Is it a deal or not?"

Lee clenched his fist tightly. He could feel his nails cutting into
his palms as he tried not to think about what 'indisposed' could mean.
"Yes," he said. "We have a deal."

"Don't keep me waiting," McIlvaney said. "And come alone. It wouldn't
be a wise move to try any tricks, Mr. Stetson. For all you know I
might have some of that toxin left to use on your daughter." With
those words the phone went dead.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Amanda no," Lee said.

"Lee you're going to need backup," Amanda argued. "You don't know what
this man's planning to do."

"You heard what he said-if he thinks that I'm trying any tricks he'll
hurt Jenna."

"He might do that anyway, "Amanda said. "She's my daughter too,
Lee-there's no way I'm letting you go into this alone."

Lee sighed. "Francine, can't you talk some sense into her?"

"Actually, I agree with her," Francine said. "Providing that she can
get into the auditorium without being seen."

"I know a way," Amanda said. "But I'll need Francine's help."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

The auditorium was almost completely dark as Lee entered; the only
illumination came from a single light on the stage. His footfalls
made almost no sound on the carpet, and despite the cold December
weather the air in here felt very hot and close.

"I'm here, McIlvaney," Lee called out as he walked down the aisle
towards the stage. "Where are you?"

"Glad to see you decided to join me, Mr. Stetson," McIlvaney's voice
rang out as his figure appeared on the stage.

"You didn't exactly give me much of a choice." Lee walked
up the steps to the stage to face the other man.

McIlvaney smiled. "No, I didn't," he said. The smile abruptly
vanished. "If you have any weapons, I suggest you drop them now.
Remember, the safety of your daughter is at stake."

Lee shook his head. "Not until I see Jenna."

"You really are a stubborn man, aren't you Stetson?"

"Take it or leave it,"

"Fine," McIlvaney said shortly. "Follow me, please." Lee followed the
man into the wings and then into the backstage area. The light was
slightly dimmer here, but Lee could make out the still form of his
daughter, lying prone on the floor. Lee looked at the Reverend
McIlvaney, barely-controlled rage filling his voice as he spoke.

"What did you do?" Lee asked.

"Relax," McIlvaney said. "She's only been drugged." Lee knelt beside
Jenna, quickly checking her over. Other than the fact that she was
unconscious, she seemed to be unhurt.

"If you play your cards right, Mr. Stetson, and let me take you as my
hostage, Jenna will wake up with a little headache and no memory of
what happened." McIlvaney said.

"And if I don't?" Lee stood, not taking his eyes from the
man's face.

"If you don't--" McIlvaney took the small vial from his pocket and
carefully unscrewed it, moving closer to Jenna's still form as he did
so. "I'll have a chance to try this toxin on a live subject. Seeing
how you and your wife ruined my plans, it would be only fitting for
Jenna to be my guinea pig." He paused. "Your weapon, please."

Lee thought briefly about knocking the vial from the man's hand, but
he didn't want to risk anything else happening to Jenna. Slowly he
took his gun from the holster.

"Drop it," McIlvaney said. "Kick it over there." Lee did. The
Reverend's smile widened. He closed and pocketed the vial, dropping it
into his pocket. Reaching into the waistband of his pants, McIlvaney,
pulled out a pistol.

"I really can't be trusted, you know." McIlvaney cocked the
pistol and pointed it at Lee. "First you," he said. "Then your child."

"I don't think so." A very dusty Amanda appeared behind McIlvaney,
followed by an equally bedraggled Francine. Amanda was also holding a
pistol, which she had trained on McIlvaney.

"You're going to let them both go," Amanda said.

McIlvaney laughed. "You won't shoot me, Mrs. Stetson," he said.

Amanda raised her eyebrows. "Oh won't I?" She said, stepping closer,
the expression on her face resolute. "You took my child and tried to
kill my husband –I think you'll find that I'd do just about anything
to protect them." McIlvaney backed away from Amanda slowly.

"Now," Amanda said, "Drop your gun and let them both go."

"Very well," McIlvaney sighed. He threw his gun to the floor. Without
warning he whirled around, hitting Amanda's wrist and knocking her gun
to the floor as well. As McIlvaney lunged for Amanda, Lee kicked the
man in the side, sending him sprawling down onto the stage floor.

"Amanda, you and Francine get Jenna out of here," Lee said. McIlvaney
staggered to his feet, grabbing one of the wooden swords from the prop
table. Lee ducked and rolled as McIlvaney swung the sword. There was a
second sword on the prop table and Lee grabbed it just in time to
block a second blow from the other man. The two men fought,
McIlvaney's larger girth belying his agility.

"Give it up, Stetson," McIlvaney said, his voice slightly breathless
from exertion. "Right always wins in the end, you know."

"Yeah?" Lee said. "That's what I'm counting on." Lee's shoe caught
on a crack on the floorboards and he stumbled backwards. McIlvaney's
sword caught the side of his head in a glancing blow. Lee fell,
feeling dazed. There was pain on the side of his head and he felt
something wet running down his face. The blurry figure of McIlvaney
smiled; as Lee watched, the other man raised the wooden sword high
over his head.

"It's over," McIlvaney said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Jenna opened her eyes. Her head hurt a little, but mostly she had a
strange floaty feeling –as though she were outside of her body
watching the events that were going on. Was she dreaming? Somehow she
didn't think so. Jenna tried to get up, but a hand pushed her back down.

"Take it easy," a familiar woman's voice said. Francine? Two very
blurry figures seemed to be floating over her. Something icy, maybe a
hand, pressed against Jenna's forehead.

"-awfully hot, Amanda," Francine's voice said, fading in and out.
Something icy on her forehead again. Jenna tried to brush it away, but
her hand didn't seem to want to obey.

"-all right sweetheart-be safe," her mother's voice said. "-here
Francine-have to help Lee."

In the distance Jenna could hear a clicking noise. She lifted her
head, not prepared for the sharp pain that shot its way through her
skull.

"Jenna?" Francine's voice seemed to be calling her name over and
over. Jenna ignored the voice as she watched the scene that was
playing in front of her:

The Nutcracker was fighting with the Rat King. Everything was mostly
dark , illuminated only by the candles that adorned the huge Christmas
tree. Jenna could hear the music playing as the two fought-she
wondered why the armies weren't out there too. Maybe this was a new
version? One thing she knew for sure was that the Rat King looked
like he was going to win this time. The Nutcracker was on the floor,
helpless as the Rat King lifted his sword.

"Clara!" Jenna tried to say, knowing what was going to happen next.
Her mouth didn't seem to want to form the words. Where was Clara?
Without her, Jenna knew that the Nutcracker would lose.

Clara ran onto the stage, wearing jeans and a blue Georgetown
sweatshirt instead of her nightgown but it didn't matter. In her hand
she had a shoe. "Lee!" She called.

The shoe that Clara threw struck the Rat King in the back and the Rat
King turned around, looking for the source of the distraction. That
was all the Nutcracker needed. He stood up and hit the Rat over the
head with the handle of the wooden sword. Jenna watched in relief as
The Rat King crumpled to the floor and lay there. Clara ran forward,
and the Nutcracker held her tightly –

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Breathing hard, Lee stood over the unconscious form of McIlvaney as
Amanda approached.

"I seem to recall asking you to get out of here," Lee said.

"Aren't you glad I didn't?" Amanda asked.

Lee wrapped his arms around his wife. "You could say that, yeah," he
said. "How did you and Francine get in?"

"One of the trap doors under the stage," Amanda said. "There's an
entrance from the outside hallway. It needs two people to open it but
hasn't been used for a while- I'm afraid we both got a little dusty."

"I can see that." Lee grinned. "Why did you throw a shoe at him?"

Amanda shrugged. "It was the nearest thing that I could pick up on
the props table," she said. "Clara's supposed to throw it at the Rat
King in the ballet-to save the Nutcracker's life."

"Well it sure saved mine," Lee said.

"Lee, you're bleeding." Amanda reached up to touch her husband's
forehead.

"It's nothing." Lee pushed her hand away. "How's Jenna? Is she
all right?" Amanda's sudden silence frightened him. "What's wrong?"
he asked. "Amanda, please answer me."

"It's not good." Amanda's face was pale. "She's running a fever."

For a moment Lee was unable to speak as he stared at Amanda. "I
thought she felt a little warm, but it was hot in here anyway." He
said. "Amanda, you don't think she- I mean, how could it have happened?"

"I don't know," Amanda said. "But I think we should need to get her to
the hospital-and fast."

TBC