- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Vacation Part Eight

Farnsworth Manor

Saturday, August 31, 2002

9:30 AM

“So, you’re not mad at me, then?” Geoff said.

“No—Actually I was more worried that you were mad at me,” Jenna looked over at him as they walked across the back garden. “Yesterday I kind of overreacted.”

“Well you had every right,” Geoff said. “I was being an idiot—I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too,” Jenna said. Geoff smiled at her and she looked down at her feet, feeling heat flooding her cheeks—even spreading to the tips of her ears.

“I’m surprised your dad even let me talk to you,” Geoff said. “When I brought you home last night he looked like he wanted to tear my head off.”

“Yeah, well he’s a little overprotective,” Jenna said.

“A little overprotective?” Geoff’s tone was incredulous. Jenna laughed.

“Okay, a lot overprotective,” she said. “But when I explained what happened he cooled down.”

“I understand,” Geoff said. “My dad’s the same way with my big sister—no one’s ever good enough for his princess. When she went on her first proper date my mum had to stop him from following her.”

“Yeah,” Jenna said. “I think my dad will probably be the same way.”

“I was wondering if you wanted to go out with us today,” Geoff said. “The whole crowd really loved meeting you— and Simon’s been barred.”

“Good to hear,” Jenna said. “I can’t today, though—we’re all going shopping and then out to tea at Claridges.”

Geoff whistled. “Posh— but I guess when Emily is your family—is that why you’re all dressed up?”

“Pretty much,” Jenna said.

“Well you look very smart—that means nicely dressed.”

“Thanks.” Jenna was quite confident that if she stared any harder at her shoes they were probably going to catch fire.

“Is tomorrow all right, then?”

She looked up at him. “All right for what?”

“You can go out with us tomorrow, yeah?” Geoff said. “I mean, if you don’t have other plans.”

“Sure,” Jenna said. “I mean I’ll let you know if I do have any other plans—I don’t think that I do but I’ll let you know.”

‘Stop babbling, Jenna’, she told herself sternly.

Geoff grinned. “Brill,” he said. “Catch you tomorrow then.”

“Catch you tomorrow,” Jenna repeated.

TopShop

Oxford Street

11:45 AM

“Personally, I like it,” Emily said. “But the decision is yours, Jenna. What do you think?”

Jenna looked at the silky sky blue top, biting her lip. “I don’t know.” It was different than anything else she owned or had bought in here so far—not exactly racy or anything, just fancier and more sophisticated somehow. “Mom?”

“I agree with Emily,” Mom said. “And it would look very nice with jeans or slacks—even a skirt. It’s your decision, though. ”

“Dad?”

Dad was sitting in a nearby chair—he looked up from the paper he’d been reading. For a moment or two he just stared, not saying anything.

“I think it’s a very nice top.” He said finally.

“You’re just saying that,” Jenna said.

“Munchkin, I’m not just saying that,” Dad said. “It’s— well it’s a little bit older—but it is a nice top. Do you want it?”

Jenna held the hanger at arm’s length as she studied the top. She nodded. Dad smiled.

“Well then I think that you should get it.”

Jenna looked at the price tag. “It is kind of expensive, though.”

“Well you let me worry about that,” Emily said as she plucked the blouse from Jenna’s hands. “It’s not very often that I get a chance to spoil my favorite niece.”

As they took the purchases up to the register Jenna noticed a tall man in a brown jacket, peering through the window. His eyes fell on her briefly—the expression on his face was strange—almost like he knew her. Jenna shivered.

“I’ll take care of this,” Emily handed the man behind the register her credit card. The man at the front window seemed to be frozen, watching intently.

“Jenna?” Her mom touched her shoulder. Jenna looked up to see her parents, their faces filled with concern.

“Are you okay, munchkin?” Dad asked.

“What?” Jenna looked back over at the window. The man was gone now.

“I’m fine,” she said. “Just my imagination running away with me, I guess.”

“You sure?” Dad said.

Jenna made herself smile. “I’m sure.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

“Thanks, Dad,” Jenna said as they left the shop, their arms full of bags. She didn’t see that man in the brown coat anywhere around—it really must have been all in her head. Emily lifted her arm to hail a cab.

“What am I being thanked for?” Dad asked.

“For doing all of this today,” Jenna said. “I know that shopping and tea probably isn’t your favorite thing.”

“I get to spend the day in the company of my three favorite ladies,” Dad told her. He smiled at Emily and took Mom’s hand in his. “Trust me, Jenna—that is my favorite thing.”

A cab pulled up to the curb. It was funny—Jenna had always thought that all the London cabs were black, but this one was painted in rainbows. They got inside, putting their bags on the floor. Jenna sat on one side, Emily, Dad and Mom were on the other.

“Where to?” the cabbie asked.

“Claridges,” Emily said. The cab pulled away from the curb.

Looking briefly out the back window, Jenna saw another man get into a cab as well—a man in a brown coat. The same one? From this distance it was hard to tell.

‘I am getting so paranoid,’ Jenna thought.

“What did Geoff have to say?” Mom asked her.

“Mainly he just wanted to apologize,” Jenna said. “But he did ask me to go out with his friends tomorrow—Simon won’t be there this time.”

“Thank goodness for that,” Emily said. “What did you tell him?”

“Well I said yes,” Jenna said. “But now I’m not so sure—What if something goes wrong again?”

“Sweetheart you can’t think like that,” Mom said. “I think you should go, you’ll have a nice time.” Dad said nothing. Jenna watched as a muscle in his jaw twitched slightly.

“Won’t she, Lee?” Mom said.

“Yes,” Dad said. “I’m sure you’ll have a nice time.” Mom squeezed Dad’s hand. They were stopped in traffic again. Turning around in her seat she could see that the cab was still following them.

It was coincidence—it had to be. Just two cars going in the same direction, this was a popular street. Lots of cars were going in the same direction—that didn’t necessarily mean they were following anyone. But something about it gave Jenna a funny feeling in her stomach. She thought back to the look in that man’s face as he peered in through the shop window, the flash of recognition in his eyes—she turned suddenly back around in her seat, not wanting to look anymore. Jenna’s heart raced and her hands clenched into fists—her nails dug into her palms.

“Jenna?” Dad was sitting on one side of her and Mom on the other side—Jenna couldn’t even remember how they’d gotten there—hadn’t they been sitting across from her just a second ago? She couldn’t remember.

“Tell us what’s wrong.” Mom was rubbing Jenna’s back as she spoke.

“Nothing’s wrong,” Jenna said.

“Nothing?” Dad repeated. “We’ve been calling your name for the past three minutes and you didn’t even hear me. Something is going on—just tell us what it is.”

“There was a man,” Jenna said.

“What sort of a man?” Emily said.

“He was looking through the window when we were at TopShop,” Jenna said. “And I don’t know why exactly, but I got the feeling that he knew me.”

“Go on,” Dad said.

“Well I thought it was probably just my imagination,” Jenna said. “But after we got into a cab I thought I saw him get into a cab too.”

“You mean the cab right behind us?” Dad asked. “Are you sure it was the same man?”

“Maybe,” Jenna said. “I’m not completely sure though—that’s why I didn’t want to say anything.”

“I understand,” Dad said. “But I want you to understand that we’re here to help you.”

“Sweetheart, what your dad is saying is that you don’t ever have to deal with these fears all alone,” Mom told her. “Even if you think they might be silly. All right?”

“All right,” Jenna repeated. The cab came to a stop.

“Claridges,” The cabbie said. They got out of the car and stepped onto the pavement while Emily paid the cabbie. Jenna looked up at a red brick building—there was a little balcony with manicured bushes hanging over the door; the metal letters in the balcony read ‘Claridges’. Five flags hung down from the building above the balcony—Jenna recognized the French, British and even the American flag but not the other two. A doorman stood in the entranceway. His hands were behind his back. Jenna thought he looked sort of intimidating at first but when the doorman saw Emily he waved, his round face creasing into smiles.

“It’s been a long time Alistair,” Emily said as she stepped forward to greet the doorman. “How’s the missus?”

“Doing very well,” Alistair said. “How’s Charles?”

“He’s doing well,” Emily said. “He had some business to take care of at home. I’d like to introduce my family—this is Lee and Amanda Stetson, and their daughter Jenna.”

“Hello,” Jenna said.

“Pleasure to meet you,” Alistair shook her hand. “I have a daughter just your age. Have you ever been here before?” Jenna shook her head. “Well, you’re in for a real treat, miss. If you and your Mum and Dad will just step right this way—”

“Jenna Stetson?” A man’s voice called out her name. Without thinking Jenna turned around. The next thing she saw was a series of bright flashes, directly in her eyes—instinctively she threw up her hand to shield her face but by then it was too late.

TBC