- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Vacation-Part Four

 

Thursday, August 29, 2002

 

Hard Rock Cafe

 

7:00 PM

 

 

“Who would’ve guessed that tonight would be biker night?”  Lee said, keeping a tight hold of Jenna’s hand as they maneuvered their way through the leather-jacketed crowd. He had to raise his voice to be heard over the noise of the people and the music.  The table where the waitress had seated them was close to the bar—a nearby video screen showed what looked like a robot , walking through snow.

 

“Oh it’s all right,” Amanda said. “Just a little noisy, that’s all.” 

 

“Anything to drink?”  the waitress asked, handing them each a menu which said ‘Eats’ on the cover.

 

“Well I’ll have a glass of water,” Amanda said. “Jenna?” 

 

“I’ll have a Sprite,” Jenna said. 

 

“And I’ll have some coffee,” Lee said, looking at the menu. “Also I think we’ll have some potato skins to start with.” 

 

“I’ll get those for you straight away, sir.” the waitress said.

 

“We were lucky to get this table,” Amanda said, looking around. 

 

“We’ll be even luckier if our eardrums survive the night,” Lee joked. He noticed that Jenna’s eyes were closed, her forehead resting against one hand. “You okay, munchkin?”  

 

“I’m fine,” Jenna said, looking up.  “Just a little tired I guess. It’s been a long day.” 

 

“Did you have fun, sweetheart?” Amanda asked. 

 

“Jenna nodded. “I liked the London Eye the best. I thought I’d be scared of the heights, but it was fun. The Aquarium was cool too—we did so much stuff that I’m not sure I’ll remember it all.”

 

“Well that’s why we took all those photos.”  Lee took the coffee that the waitress handed him. 

 

“Your potato skins will be out in one moment,” the waitress said.

 

Lee looked over at Jenna, who was sipping her Sprite from the straw, her eyes fastened to the video screen in the far corner.  Lee recognized the song now—it was Badly Drawn Boy’s ‘Silent Sigh’—a song that Jenna liked to listen to on her CD player at home.

 

“Jenna, maybe you want to take it easy tomorrow,” he said.  “You know, stay around the house. I’m sure there’s a lot to do without going out.” 

 

“Lee,” Amanda gave him a warning glance. 

 

“No—I’ll be okay as long as I get some sleep,” Jenna said. “Just as long as—”

 

“As long as what?”  Lee asked. His daughter looked at him, biting down hard on her lower lip. 

 

“I just—” Jenna said.  “I don’t want to do anything that’ll make you upset at me. I mean, if going out with Geoff and his friends is going to bother you then I don’t have to go.” 

 

“Oh Jenna,” Lee said. “I’m not going to be upset with you. I think that you going out with friends is great.” 

 

 “But you don’t like Geoffrey though,” Jenna said.  “Do you?” 

 

“Well I—” Lee struggled to find the right words. “It’s not so much that I don’t like him. Just that I don’t know him.” 

 

“Sweetheart if your dad is a little bit overprotective it’s only because he loves you,” Amanda said. “He wants you to be safe.” 

 

“I know,” Jenna said. “And because boys have urges.” 

 

“Urges?”  Amanda looked at Lee, raising her eyebrows.

 

“I—ah—” Luckily Lee was saved from having to explain any further when the waitress returned to their table with the potato skins.

 

Friday, August 30, 2002

 

Farnsworth Manor, Hampstead Heath

 

10:30 AM

 

“Absolutely not.”  

 

“Francine, come on—it’s just a little favor. What harm could it do just to run his name through The Agency’s computer?” 

 

“I am not going to run a background check on a teenage boy, Lee. The whole idea is ridiculous.” 

 

“What’s so ridiculous about it?” 

 

“Well in the first place there won’t be anything in a fourteen-year-old’s background to justify it,” Francine said. “And secondly, Jenna would be mortified if she ever found out. You wouldn’t understand, but I remember what it’s like to be a teenage girl.” 

 

“And I remember what it’s like to be a teenage boy,”   Lee picked up his coffee from the kitchen counter, taking a small sip of the bitter liquid.  “That’s exactly why I’d like this guy to be checked out before I allow Jenna within a hundred yards of him.”  

 

“Yeah—I can just picture you as a teenager,” Francine sounded faintly amused. “No wonder you’re so worried about Jenna.” 

 

“So you’ll do it then?” 

 

“Afraid not,”   Francine said.  “You’ll just have to do what every father has done since the beginning of time—sit at home, worry and trust that you’ve taught Jenna the right things. Goodbye, Scarecrow.” 

 

“Francine!”  But all Lee heard was a click and a dial tone. With a hiss of frustration Lee hung up the phone.

 

A part of the kitchen wall suddenly opened and Jenna appeared.

 

“Hey dad,” she said. “Mom was just wondering where you were. Were you on the phone just now?  I thought I heard voices.” 

 

“Tell Mom I’ll be there in a second,” Lee said, neatly sidestepping the question. “Jenna how did you—”

 

“It’s a secret passage,” Jenna said. “Lord Farnsworth—I mean Uncle Charles—he was showing some of them to me early this morning. He said they might’ve even been used for spies a long time ago. Isn’t that cool?” 

 

“It’s very cool,” Lee agreed, looking at his daughter.  Jenna was dressed in a pale pink shirt with tan capri pants and sandals.  Delicate silver earrings, the ones that she’d gotten from Francine on her twelfth birthday, swung from her ears. And her face—

 

“Do I look all right?”  Jenna asked, pushing her hair back behind her ears. 

 

“You look fine,” Lee said. “I’m just not sure that makeup is necessary.” 

 

“It’s just some lip-gloss and a little blush,” Jenna said. “Mom helped me put it on. I mean, I know he’s not going to be here to pick me up until 12:30 but I just wanted to be ready in advance.” 

 

“I understand,” Lee said. “And you do look very nice, it’s just—” he tried to think of the right words to say as he looked at her. It wasn’t just the makeup—he realized—for the first time in weeks Jenna actually looked happy.  The last thing Lee wanted to do was take that away from her.  

 

 

“Dad?”  Jenna said. “Is something wrong?”  

 

 

“It’s nothing,” Lee said. “Just promise me that you’ll be careful.” 

 

Jenna gave him a hug. “I promise,” she said. “Are you coming with me? Everybody’s in the conservatory.” 

 

“I’ll be there in a minute, munchkin,” Lee said. “I just have something to take care of first.” 

 

“Okay.” 

 

Jenna pressed a tile, causing a door to swing open. It silently closed behind her as she disappeared into the secret passage. 

 

 

Trust that you’ve taught Jenna the right things—that was what Francine had told him, Lee thought.  The trouble was, Jenna wasn’t the one that Lee had a problem trusting.

 

12:30 PM

 

“Hello there.” 

 

The man’s voice startled Geoff.  He turned around to see Mr. Stetson, Jenna’s father. The older man was standing near the front door, looking at him, a little smile on his face. 

 

“Have you come to pick up Jenna?”  Mr. Stetson said. 

 

“That’s right,” Geoff said. The man walked slowly closer. There was nothing overtly frightening about Jenna’s dad, Geoff thought,  but he could feel his heart beating faster and his mouth felt like a desert. Mr. Stetson’s smile widened.

 

“Where were you two planning on going?”

 

“Just—uh— just to the Trocadero,” Geoff stammered. “Me and a few mates.” 

 

“And when will you be back?” 

 

“Around six o’clock or so.” 

 

“If I were you I’d make it six exactly.”  Mr. Stetson crossed his arms. “How many mates are we talking about?” 

 

“Probably four others.” 

 

“Boys and girls?” 

 

“Two of each. They’ll be waiting for us at the tube station—I should—”   Geoff tried to go in through the front door but Mr. Stetson blocked his path. 

 

“Jenna is very special to her mother and me,”   Mr. Stetson said. “So if you don’t get her back on time or she’s unhappy or upset about anything at all I’m not going to be very happy. Is that understood, Geoffrey?” 

 

“Perfectly,” Geoff nodded, flinching a little as Mr. Stetson clapped him on the shoulder.

 

“I’m glad we had this little talk,” he said.

 

TBC