- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters used in this story belong to Shoot the Moon and Warner Brothers et als. I don't own 'em, don't want to, just want to borrow them for some fun!

Timeline: This is a short sequel to my recent Christmas fanfic, "The Very Best Gift".

The Nursery Rhyme used in the work of fiction was not written by me, but is a "Mother Goose" nursery rhyme. I do not own the rights to it, nor do I intend to profit from its use.
A wise old owl

Just after their Christmas Eve wedding and awesome tropical
honeymoon, Lee was talking with Billy in the Q Bureau catching up on
what had been going on while Lee and Amanda had been on their
vacation. Lee was telling Billy of their run-in with Dr. Smyth after
the wedding.

"Billy, I gotta tell you, when Smyth showed up uninvited right after
our wedding ceremony, spouting his stupid nursery rhymes and
practically threatening us, if it hadn't been for Amanda, I'd have
punched him into next year!" Lee said as he paced around his desk.

"Well, thank goodness Amanda held you in check. That is all we need—
for you to beat up Dr. Smyth." Billy said while silently thanking
Amanda for keeping Lee under control. He'd have to remember to tell
her so as soon as he saw her.

"Yeah, and he came bearing gifts." Lee said holding up the gift
certificate Dr. Smyth had given them. "Told us to `pick up a bauble'
on him. The nerve…" Lee said with venom. "I plan on returning this
gift certificate to him today."

"Lee, perhaps you should let me handle it for you. I don't need you
going up to Smyth's office, throwing a fit and doing something we
will all regret." Billy told him, as the door to the office suddenly
swung open. There was Smyth puffing away on his cigarette and
staring the both of them down.

Smyth, looking directly at Lee, lyrically stated, "'A wise old owl
sat in an oak, The more he heard, the less he spoke; The less he
spoke, the more he heard; Why aren't we all like that wise old
bird?' Yes, Stetson, why indeed? You'd do well to take the advice
of this wise old owl and keep your mouth shut, especially when you
don't know who might be listening in. Remember when I told you I'd
have my eyes and ears on you and your little housewife? You are not
above the rules. You can be replaced, you know." Smith spat as he
turned and left the office, slamming the door almost hard enough to
break out the glass.

"I'd better get down there and smooth out his ruffled feathers."
Billy said with dread. "Do me a favor; keep a low profile for the
next several days, will you?" He asked Lee giving him that fatherly
look as only Billy could.

"Yeah, sorry Billy, I'll get Amanda in here ASAP to help me with that
assignment!" Lee said grinning sheepishly. And with that, Billy
exited leaving Lee to catch up on the messages and paperwork that had
accumulated on his desk while he and Amanda had been gone.