- Text Size +
Amanda Stetson turned to her husband and partner. "Lee, the NPS Rangers are
off duty, and who knows if the Park Police will do a random security check
inside during the night."

"Amanda, it looks like we will have to take the stairs."

Amanda looked her husband over from head to toe. He had been a little
roughed up in a fight with a Russian man. "Are you sure? It's a long way down."

"It will only take us a matter of minutes. Believe me. I'm not letting that
bozo get too far away from us. There will be hell to pay when we catch him."

"Okay, Sweetheart, we'll get him. Let's concentrate on getting out of here."

"Move away, Amanda. I'm going to shoot the lock off of this door."

Amanda moved away. This predicament had put them in a unique position
professionally and physically. As she walked, she observed the White House to
the north, the National Mall to the east, the Jefferson Memorial to the south, and
the Arlington National Cemetery to the west. After she heard the gunshots
which gave them access to the stairwell, Amanda returned to her husband. She
grasped his hand and moved toward the stairs.

She hoped that this would be the last time for a while that a romantic
midnight rendevous on the mall would be interrupted by chasing a known
terrorist into the Washington Monument.