- Text Size +
"Five miles? You want me to run five miles?"

"Sure, why not?" David inquired, smiling up at his father. The
family sat around the intimate, family dining table, munching on
dessert. Cream puffs sat on a tray, waiting to be dipped in melted
chocolate.

"Your dad isn't as young as he used to be." John demurred.

"Young?" the boy looked to Delenn with a quirked eyebrow.

"I think what your father means is that he is not as fit as he used
to be." The Entil'zha put emphasis on the word `fit' and eyed her
husband.

John had been munching a cream puff and swallowed, "Now, wait just a
minute! I'm plenty fit, and I will run those five miles in no time,
flat!"

"Really, you will?" The seven-year-old's voice went up a happy
octave.

"Abso-fraggin-lutely!"

"Great, I am gonna go tell my friends!" David ran off, leaving his
father holding the assignment sheet.

John looked more closely at the paper. His mouth then gaped open,
it wasn't an assignment, it was a class challenge for all the
fathers. John looked down the list and cringed.

"What is it?" Delenn asked as she watched her husband's expression
change multiple times. She borrowed the paper from him and began to
chuckle.

"This is not funny," John gave her a piercing stare but she only
laughed harder.

"Are you...going to...give up...before you get there?" Delenn
managed to ask him.

"Of course not, but, some of the fathers are...well, one's a Minbari
and one's a Drazi. It's not exactly a fair race."

"John, you can do this. You don't want to let down your son, do
you?"

"Of course not." He took another cream puff and was going to dip it
when Delenn took it away.

"No more of these. The race is in two weeks, you better head to the
gym. Perhaps, hold meetings there. You can listen and run at the
same time, can you not?"

"Delenn, I have a far better idea than the gym," he leaned in and
gave her a kiss to see if he could turn her to his plans.

"That will be fine, too. After the gym." She stood and sashayed
from the room. He could only enjoy watching her go. John Sheridan
had learned a long time ago not to truly argue with his wife.

The End