- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclosure: I do not own "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" , "Alice" or their characters. I am not making any money from this writing. I am only doing this for fun and enjoyment. I hope you enjoy it, too:)
"Aaahh-choo!" Dottie West reached for the large box of tissues on the endtable next to the sofa. She grabbed three sheets, just in time for the next wave of her sneezing attack, "Aa-choo, aa-choo. . .AH-CHOO!!"

"Mother, are you all right?" Amanda King ran down the stairs to sit next to her mother. With a worried look, she placed her hand on her mother's forehead. "Mother, your burning up! What are you doing down stairs? You should be in bed and taking it easy."

"Oh, Amanda, I can't do that I promised the boys I would take them to their Trailblazer's meeting while you went on that . . .that . . . what exactly was it you said you were doing tonight, dear?"

Amanda's eyes widen as she quickly searched her thoughts for the last explanation she had given to cover her whereabouts. "Oh! Well, I . . . was going to house-sit some very rare, and very wild tropical plants from the rainforest." Amanda smiled, hopeful to get by with the off the cuff answer.

"Plants?" Dottie questioned, with watery eyes.

"Plants." Amanda repeated.

"Plants," Dottie said again and nodded her head up and down with the thought," my daughter is looking after plants."

"Wild and dangerous plants." Amanda emphasized.

"Oh! Well, I guess that . . . th- . . . ah . . .Aah-choo! Wild and dangerous? Now, the plants are dangerous?!" Looking at her daughter with skepticism, she asked her next question. "Amanda, how exactly are these plants dangerous? If they are poisonous, then I don't think you should be near them. I heard once if you even breathe the same air . . ."

"No, no, mother. They are not poisonous, they're just carnivores ", she answered simply.

Again, Dottie's eyes widen. "C c c - Carnivores? You mean they eat . . . eat other . . .", nodding her head forward to seeming pull further explanation from Amanda, Dottie finish with, ". . plants? Or, are they like Cynthia Reem and her little protege', eating the innocent. I tell you, Amanda, some people just shouldn't be allowed to self appoint themselves as, quote un-quote . . . "

"No, no, no, Mother. . . but I guess they could be like that, but then that would make them cannibals, but I think I have heard of plants that eat other plants, but that wouldn't be these plants. You see, these plants eat insects and very small animals. And, I have to feed them while the owner's away. You know like grasshoppers, earthworms, and whatever's lying around." Stopping to catch a breath, Amanda changed tactics. "Why don't I call Marsha Krisp to take Philip and Jamie tonight. She lives right down the street and she will be taking her son, Steven, to the same meeting. That way I can still take care of you. I will run out to the drug store for you and then stop off to feed the plants and be back in time to watch your favorite shows with you."

"Amanda, I appreciate the gesture and your concern, but didn't you tell me this person with the wild plants lives an hour away. Really, dear, I'll be fine. Although, I will take your offer to call Marsha. I really don't feel well enough to be driving like this. I'll just go upstairs and take a nap."

"A nap sounds like a wonderful idea, Mother. Why don't you go up right now, and I will bring up some hot tea for you." Amanda said, as she walked her mother to the stairs.

Dottie started to get up and walk up the stairs. She turned as another thought hit her. "Amanda, what are these plants called?"

"What are they called? Well, it is something in Latin, and you know I was never really good in Latin. I'm sure I will remember later." Pausing to pick up her purse from the kitchen counter, she continued, "Mother, I will be back tonight, I don't want you to over do it" Amanda ended.

"Well, if you insist. And, if you make it in time, we can watch "Alice" together." Dottie smiled.

"Is there a new episode today or are they still doing repeats?" Amanda asked.

"This is a rerun, but it is the first one where Flo says, ‘Kiss my grits.’ You know, Amanda, we really should invest in one of those VCR things. I think Philip would get a good laugh at seeing some of those older ‘Alice’ episodes." Dottie started to laugh as she continued, "Remember when he was three and all he would say was ‘Kiss my grits?’ I think Joe was a little afraid that those would be Jamie's first words."

Amanda had to stop and laugh at the thought. With a little bit of sadness she spoke her next words, "The boys are growing up so fast." She then looked directly at her mother, "And, you and I never get to do much together anymore."

"Oh, it's okay, Sweetheart. You still have a lot of time with the boys." Dottie walked back into the room to hug her daughter, but stopped in her tracks as she thought better of it. "Amanda, you are doing the best you can. Look at you. You are supporting the boys and me with this side business that you thought of. You are somehow making ends might. The boys and I are grateful for that. So go and do your plant sitting job and don't worry."

"Oh, Mother, thank you. But I have already decided that I want to be with you tonight, otherwise I will just worry. I can take the boys to the meeting myself." Not letting a little cold get in the way, Amanda hugged her mother.

Then Dottie added with a smile, " Just don't let me hear you have been eaten by a man eating plant, I wouldn't know how to explain that to anyone."

The phone rang at that moment. Watching her mother walk upstairs, Amanda picked up the phone, "Hello, King residence?"

"Are you ready yet?" an anxious male voice said from the other end.

"Hello, to you too, Mr. Stetson." Amanda replied as she rolled her eyes.

"Amanda, an agent doesn't have time for small talk, they must always be ready for anything." Lee Stetson answered dryly.

"Really? Well, in the time it took to say all of that you could have already said ‘Hello’ to me. And, another thing… wouldn't it be a bad idea to use the word 'Agent' over the phone. I mean, what if my phone was bugged or something, wouldn't that give you away or be considered a security risk or something?" Amanda went on, "And, if so . . ."

"Amanda!" Exasperated, Lee continued, "Amanda, who would bug your phone? Besides, don't try and change the subject. We have an assignment tonight and . . ."

"I can't make it." Amanda quickly interrupted and squeezed her eyes shut to waited for the explosion of anger that was sure to follow Lee Stetson's next words.

"You what!" Lee shouted.

"I can't make it. Mother is really sick and she has been tired all week and I really think I should stay home and take care of her. I also have to get Philip and Jamie to their Trailblazer's meeting. They can't miss that, because they are both going for their 'Perfect Attendance' badges and I should be the one taking them. I mean, I am their mother. Though at the moment only my mother seems to thinks so, well the boys too, but . . ."

"Amanda!" said a voice from upstairs.

"What is it, Mother?" Amanda turned and covered the phone receiver with her hand.

"I thought you may have left and forgot to tell me." Dottie sniffled

"Oh, I-ah, wanted to call make other arrangements with the plant owner. Save your voice Mother, I will bring up some tea up in a moment before I go to the drug store."

"Oh. All right, then. Could you make a cup of that peppermint tea I bought a last week." Dottie said from the upstairs landing.

"Of course, Mother. I'll be right up."

"Thank you, darling." Dottie said as she returned to her room.

"Lee, are you still there?" Amanda whispered

"Yes, I'm here. Amanda, you have to show up tonight!"

"Lee, you are not painting a very good picture of the intelligence community if so much depends on a civilian just making an appearance. Why can't Francine do it?"

"Francine, isn't the only female that works at the Agency."

"There you go again!"

"What!"

"Saying things like the Agency over the telephone again. Wouldn't it be a very bad idea to do that? And, if Francine isn't the only female there, why can't someone else do it?

"Because you are the only one that doesn't have anything important to do, that can't be canceled!" Even as the words lift his mouth he immediately wish he could take them back.

"What!?" A shocked Amanda tried to again processed what Lee said.

"Amanda, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that whatever you do isn't important or that…" but Amanda didn't let him finish.

"Whatever I do!? Lee Stetson, you . . . you . . . you . . .'kiss my grits'!" And with that, Amanda hung up the phone. She then went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea. After taking it to her mother, she grabbed her purse and went out the door.

*********

Later that evening . . .

Not giving the Agency or Lee Stetson a second thought, Amanda was surprised to see a silver Porsche parked up the street from her house, when she returned from the drug store.

Walking into her house she checked on her Mother. After taking her temperature and administrating the over the counter medicine, Amanda checked on her sons.

"Boys! Be ready to leave here in thirty minutes. That means downstairs, dressed and Trailblazer materials in hand. You got it?"

"Got it, Mom!" "Okay, Mom!" Philip and Jamie called back.

Running back down to the kitchen, Amanda looked behind her to make sure everyone was upstairs. She walked to the back door and walked out. Looking around her yard, she called out.

"Lee, I know you're out here." She looked to another direction, then turned back to gasp as who should appear but, "Lee!"

"Hi", was his light greeting.

"Lee, I really wish you wouldn't do that." Amanda said pressing her hand to her chest.

"You said you knew I was here."

"Yes, but you don't have to…" Amanda sighed, "What are you doing here? I told you I couldn't go."

"I know, I just . . .how's your mother?" he asked.

"How's my Mother? Lee, what's going on? You told me there was a very important assignment tonight, so why are you here?" Amanda said, her confusion evident.

"I just was concerned. That's all. Can't I be concerned?" Lee said, looking a little indignant. "And, besides, I lied. The assignment wasn't that important."

Amanda's eyebrows disappeared under her bangs. "You lied? Why would you lie?" suddenly worried, "Lee, is something wrong?"

"No, nothing like that. It's a long story. Can I tell you about it tomorrow at lunch when I make it up to you for tonight?" Lee gave her a lopsided smile.

"Lunch? Why, Scarecrow, are you feeling a little guilty about something?" Amanda inquired now matching Lee's smile with one of her own.

Knowing that all was forgiven, Lee safely broadened his smile. "Now, there you go using code names in public places like your backyard. What if you picnic table was bugged or something?"

Amanda picked up on the game, "Who would bug my picnic table?"

They both laughed and finished making plans with for the following day. As Amanda turned to go back inside, she looked over her shoulder and said, "Your explanation for tonight better be good."

Lee laughed, "Don't worry it is, but then you will have to explain 'kiss my grits' to me, too. Goodnight, Amanda."

"Goodnight, Lee."

End