- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's my response for this week's challenge. Another idea based on a childhood antic of mine. So enjoy!
"I can't believe you broke it!" Jamie exclaimed as he stared at the dining room window, which now sported a baseball-sized hole. "I told you playing ball in the house was a bad idea. Mom is going to kill us."

"Would you just shut up for a second, worm brain, so I can think?" Philip asked in frustration.

"Think! What's there to think about?? The window's broken, and we're gonna be in big trouble `cause we can't fix it." Jamie lamented.

"No, but maybe we can hide it for a while or something. With the curtain closed, I bet mom and grandma won't even notice the hole." Philip suggested.

"Close the curtain...oh, that's your brilliant idea." Jamie replied in utter disbelief.

"Yeah and it'll work. We'll be at dad's place this weekend, and with the curtain closed mom won't find it `til she does the cleaning on Saturday. We'll be gone, so she can't blame us. It'll work, trust
me." Philip explained as he quickly closed the curtains.

"I'm telling you it's not going to work!" Jamie argued.

"Well, unless you have a better idea, this is our only chance. So just keep your mouth shut, dorkus!" Philip warned.

"My idea is to be honest and just tell mom what happened, but I don't want to lose my allowance for the next month. So let's hope this works…I'm not holding my breath, though. Let's at least go upstairs so we're away from the scene of the crime" Jamie suggested.

"Boys in the kitchen…NOW!" they heard Amanda yell before they had even reached the foot of the stairs.

"Oh man, we're in for it now." Philip complained as they ran into the kitchen.

"I found your baseball lying in the driveway when I got home. It was next to the broken glass from the dining room window. Philip, I can't believe you really thought I wouldn't notice it if you just closed the curtain. And don't call your brother a worm brain!" Amanda said in an irritated tone.

"You heard us? What are you a spy or something?" Philip asked, realizing that his plan was a bust from the start.

"Nope, just a mom who knows you boys too well. Now, start cleaning up that glass while I call the repairman. Oh and Jamie was right about you guys losing your allowance for a month." Amanda replied, as she laughed to herself over Philip's comment about her being spy. 'If he only knew…' she thought.

End