- Text Size +
“Sure, guys

“Sure, guys.  Whatever you want.  If you’ll excuse me, I’m not feeling so well.  Goodnight.”  They both stood as she got up from the table.

She was near the front entrance when she felt someone grasp her elbow.  “Amanda?  Where are you going?  Is something wrong?”

She looked up, but avoided eye contact.  “Yes, I need to leave.”

“What happened?  Let me take you home.”  He looked around, evidently searching for a place to set the two glasses of champagne, and then motioned to a waiter.

Using his momentary distraction to her advantage, she dashed out the door.  But he found her at the bottom of the stairs, trying to hail a taxi.

 “Amanda?”

She made the mistake of meeting his eyes and quickly looked away, not wanting him to see the tears in her eyes.  Taking a firm grip on her emotions, she blinked back her tears.

He moved in front of her, lifted her chin, and gazed into her eyes.  “What happened?  I was only gone for a few minutes?  Did I do something wrong?  Please talk to me.”

He actually seems sincere.  He’s in the wrong business.  He should move to California and take up acting.  She was filled with so much emotion she could barely speak.  “Why don’t you ask your buddies in there, I BET they could fill you in.”    With that, she waved her arm for the passing taxi and hopped in, leaving Lee with his mouth hanging open.

Leaning her head back against the seat, she finally released her tears.    Why did things have to end this way?  She really was starting to fall for him.  He made her feel so special, so wanted.  They even worked well together.  Sure, they punched each other’s buttons, but that was part of the excitement.  She had never felt this way about anyone, not even Joe.  Obviously, it was early in the relationship, but she remembered how she’d felt when she and Joe had first started seeing each other.  It didn’t compare with how she felt when she was with Lee; it was almost like a dream.  And apparently, that’s all it was.  She slammed her hand on her thigh in frustration.  She heard the driver’s voice.  “I’m sorry?”

“I said, where to?”

“Oh, um…4247 Maplewood Drive, Arlington.  No, wait!  The Tidal Basin, please.”  She needed to clear her head and home would not give her that luxury.  The driver nodded into the rear view mirror.  He seemed to sense her troubles and left her to her thoughts.  She attempted to smile her thanks.

dddddddddddddddddd

She’d wandered around the Tidal Basin for what seemed like forever, but was in actuality less than an hour.  Amanda sat on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial, trying to comprehend what had happened to her over the past two weeks.  She couldn’t understand the two, obviously very different, sides of Lee Stetson.  Her first impression of him at the bar had been that of a womanizer, only out for a good time.  Later that evening, those thoughts dissolved when she glimpsed what she thought was the real man, only to be brought back to reality when the sun rose.

The following week, she’d talk with him in-depth, and she felt she was truly getting to know whom he really was.  And then there was tonight’s revelation, sending her into a downward spiral.  Why had she fought her instincts?  She was usually a pretty good judge of character.  If she’d only listened to that voice inside her head telling her she was not what he was looking for.  If only.

Amanda felt, rather than heard, someone sit down beside her.  Even before she turned, she smelled his aftershave.  She looked down at his shoes, not sure if she was ready to meet his eyes.  What was it about this man--this spy--that intrigued her so?

“Hi.”

His voice was barely above a whisper.  Was that remorse she heard in his voice?  She shook that thought from her head.  No.  He was not going to trick her again.  This time, she would go in with both eyes wide open.

“How did you find me?”  She kept all emotion out of her voice.

“I’m a spy, remember?”    His smile faded when he looked into her face.  “Sorry.  I called the cab company and threatened to have their license revoked if they didn’t tell me where their driver dropped you off.”

Her mouth formed in the shape of an “O” as she looked at him.

“After you left, I went back inside and talked with the guys and Francine.  They told me what they said to you.  Amanda, I don’t know where to start.”  He shook his head.

“Why don’t you start with the truth?”

“The night we met, I was with Fred and Mark.  We were having a few beers, and they were razzing me about not being able to commit.  They made some crack about me not being able to last a month in a relationship.  I, of course, denied it.  Anyway, I stupidly agreed to the bet that I could last an entire thirty days in a relationship with one woman.”

“Enter Amanda.”  She laughed sarcastically.

“Right.  At first, I thought it was great timing for the bet.  But that night when we stayed up till the wee hours of the morning talking and then falling asleep in each other’s arms…Amanda, I’ve never felt so safe.  Like I could be myself.  Not Lee Stetson, the agent, just me…the man.  Then when we started talking on the phone, it only cemented what I was already realizing.  You are a wonderful woman, who I want to know everything about.  I swear to you, I forgot all about the stupid bet, until you left the party earlier.  Had I remembered, I would have told the guys the bet was over long ago.  You have to believe me, Amanda!”

“Lee, how can I trust you now?  You lied to me from the very start.  About your job, about why you wanted to date me.  What am I supposed to believe?”  She bit her lower lip in consternation.

He shook his head.  “I just don’t know.  I guess I’ll have to prove it to you, one day at a time.”  He took her hand and held it between his two larger ones.  “Please say you’ll give me another chance.  Please?”  He looked into her eyes, and she forced herself to meet his gaze.  She only saw sincerity staring back at her.  Amanda squeezed his hand and stood up, pulling him with her.

“One more chance.  And remember, this isn’t baseball.  Two strikes and you’re out, big fella!”

“I’ll try and remember that.”  He laughed, pulling her toward him and kissing her softly on the lips.  “So, looking for a job?”

“I thought you didn’t work with partners?”  She smiled up at him.

“Yeah, well, I know a good thing when I see it.”

She pulled his head down for a more intense kiss, and they walked down the steps of the memorial, hand in hand.

The End.