- Text Size +
ddddddddddddddddd

ddddddddddddddddd

 

Day 10

 

“No, I mean it.  He was really impressed with you.”  He was careful to keep the rain off her, as he guided her down the street.   

 

“Ah, thanks, Lee.  Mr. Melrose seems like a really nice man.  His assistant, however…” 

 

“Yes, Francine can be a handful.  Don’t let her get to you.  You deserve all the recognition you received.  You were great up there.” 

 

“Really?  You looked a bit nervous.”                 

 

“Me?   Nah, I had all the faith in the world in you.”  They looked at each other and laughed.  “So are you going to accompany me to the British Embassy tonight?” 

 

“Yes, I’m looking forward to it.” 

 

“I think we’ve both earned a little rest and relaxation.  It’s been quite a week.”

 

“Yeah, it isn’t everyday you get entangled in international espionage.”

 

He shook his head and laughed.  “No, I guess not.”  When they arrived at her loner car, he opened the door for her.  “I’ll pick you up at seven?” 

 

“I’ll be waiting.”  She sat down, and he closed the door.  After looking around, he leaned down and placed a chaste kiss on her lips. 

 

“Till tonight.” 

 

ddddddddddddddddd

 

Francine couldn’t believe it.  Lee Stetson dating a wholesome mom from the suburbs?  Was this some kind of a joke?  What really stung was the fact that not too long ago, he had told her he wasn’t interested in a long-term commitment.  If that was the case, what was he doing with Amanda King?  That woman practically screamed ‘commitment.’  Besides, she’s hardly someone you’d bring to the British Embassy.  She weaved through the crowd to the bar and ordered a drink.  She heard Mark and Fred talking about the wonderful Mrs. King and rolled her eyes. 

 

“So, you think she’s all that, too, huh, guys?”

 

“She’s a great lady.  Seems really sweet.  I just feel bad Lee’s only using her to win a bet with us.”  Fred shook his head in apparent pity. 

 

Francine played along--one never knew when good bribery information would come in handy.  “Right, the bet.  Lee mentioned how much he wanted to beat you guys.  What were the stakes again?”

 

After Fred filled her in, Francine decided to throw a wrench in Scarecrow’s plan.  And, if it hurt Miss Goody Two Shoes in the process, then all the better.

 

“Uh, guys, you do know that Lee filled Amanda in on your little bet to ensure that he’d win.  Right?”

 

ddddddddddddddddd

 

“Listen…uh Amanda…” Fred Fielder began but seemed unable to finish. 

 

“Oh, hi.  It’s Fred, right?”  She smiled up at him and his friend. 

 

The two men looked at each other and then back to her.  “Do you mind if we sit down, Mrs. King?”  Mark pulled out a chair and sat down, without waiting for her response. 

 

“Uh, sure.”  She felt somehow uneasy.  The seemingly nervous grown men sitting in front of her reminded her of two small boys caught doing something they had no business doing.   What could they possibly want from her?  They had only just met.  “Is there something I can do for you, gentlemen?”   

 

Fred sighed, as if relieved by her question.  “We know you know about our bet with Scarecrow…uh, Lee, Mrs. King.”

 

“Your bet?”  She was at a complete loss, but listened intently, hoping it would become clear.  

 

“Uh, yeah.  It really had nothing to do with you; I mean, we made the bet before he even picked you.  We were teasing him that he couldn’t last a month in a committed relationship.”  Fred rushed on, while he twisted the linen napkin in his hand.  “Had we known he was going to pick such a nice lady…well, we just would have never made the bet in the first…” Fred tapered off when Mark glared at him. 

 

“Picked me?” she murmured.

 

“Look, Mrs. King, all we want is to get even with Lee for trying to pull one over on us.  What we’d like is for you to continue ‘dating’ Lee for the rest of the month, like he told you.  Then, just before he is about to win the five hundred dollars, break up with him.  That way, he thinks he’s going to make the thirty days, but, just before he does, you’ll pull the rug out from under him, and we’ll be there to collect.”  He looked at her expectantly, as if she was supposed to follow what he was asking and agree to do it. 

 

‘He just picked someone out of the bar to fall for him and stay in a relationship with him for a month, just for a stupid bet?  How could I have thought he was sincere?  How could he pretend to be so interested in getting to know me better, when he was only putting on an act?  For money, no less!  Oh, and bragging rights, of course.’  The men stared at her, and she felt her face burn with anger and embarrassment.  She had to do the only thing there was left to do.  Save face. 

 

To Be Continued…