- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The characters from Scarecrow and Mrs. King belong to Warner Bros and Shoot The Moon Productions. The rest are mine. I make no money off of this story just a lot of enjoyment.
Amanda was determined that Lee would have a normal Christmas this year.
This would be their first Christmas as a normal married couple and while he was
getting better about some things, he still was too uptight when it came to
items concerning the season.

He had actually seemed to enjoy shopping this year, especially after Amanda
had given him two pointers--make a list of everything before you go and do
your shopping early. It was a week before the actual day and he had everything
bought and wrapped.

Next on her list were Christmas movies. She was determined to shows him the
joys and delights of some of the best holidays stories in the world. It had
been quite a search but she finally had all the "important" ones on VHS and
she knew for a fact that How the Grinch Stole Christmas was on tonight at
8:00 and she was ready. Today would be movie day and he would enjoy it, or
else!

"Good morning glory." he kissed her as he sat down at the kitchen table
beside her. "What's on the agenda for today?"

"Well the boys are with their other grandmother. " she ticked off on her
finger, and mother has ordered me not to come near the house as she's in
consolation with Santa Clause and so I thought that maybe you and I could spend some
quality time together."

"That sounds good. What did you have in mind and does it involve me that
huge claw foot bathtub and a bottle of lemon oil?" he winked.

"Well, maybe later. " she laughed. "But I was thinking that this would be a
perfect day to break in the living room couch. Now that we have this
wonderful new house and that awfully cozy sofa, we should do something to make us
feel at home."

"Well, I wouldn't put want the lemon oil to get on the leather." he began
but she shook her head, shutting him up with a kiss.

"I'm talking about us spending the day watching Christmas movies. You
yourself said, you haven't seen most of them and I have collected quite an
impressive assortment if I do say so myself. So, what would you like to start
with-It's a Wonderful Life or White Christmas?"

"Um, you know Amanda." he felt the words tumble out of his mouth, not being
able to stop them. "I just remembered that I'm supposed to go Birchwood this
morning. I can't disappoint Rupert and Glynis and the gang. They would be so
disappointed." He looked at his watch and shook his head. "Look at the time.
I should have left 20 minutes ago."

"You just remembered now, this minute that you are supposed to be at
Birchwood today?" she looked at him straight in the eyes, her gaze so intense it was
only his agent training that kept him from looking elsewhere.

"Yes." he nodded. "I'm really sorry Amanda, and I'll make it up to you but I
really, really need to get going. So let's say goodbye Amanda."

"Good-bye Amanda." she sighed. "When will you be back do you think?"

"Oh, I can't really put a limit on it."

"While you're out could you stop by Francine's and drop this recipe off for
her and oh yes Mother has some presents she wants us to go ahead and bring
here. And you might as well, drop this box off at Billy's"

"All right." he sighed. "I could do that. I need to stop by the office
too." he added.

"See you when you get back." she waved.

"That was almost too easy." he thought as he headed towards his Corvette.

Amanda stood in the doorway, watching as he drove away, then quickly made
her way to the phone and picked up the receiver.

Lee loved coming to Birchwood, even more so now that he had a family. He
liked to think of after many more years of him and Amanda settling into one of
the cozy bungalows, spending their last years in each other's company and
with those that had experienced many of the same things they had.

He headed for the community room, knowing that most of the residents would
be there for their weekly exercise class. Opening the door, Glynis spotted
him first and made a beeline to his side."It's so good to see you, Lee." she
patted his hand like he was a child. "We were hoping you would stop by today."

Lois came over, grabbing his other hand, the two women pulling him into the
room. "We have some things for you." they said together.

"Where is that charming wife of yours?" Rupert came from around the corner.

"She had some things to take care off." Lee explained to the old man. "But
she sends her love."

The woman of Briarcliff filled up him with goodies, while the men inquired
about his wife and how things were going at the "farm" these days. Lee loved
talking to these people, hearing their stories of days gone by and finding
out tidbits on former leaders, hearing about Billy in his early days.

"I really need to get going," he finally said, getting up from the now empty
plate that he had been given laden with every kind of Christmas cookie
imaginable. "I didn't mean to interrupt your exercise class."

"Oh we weren't going to exercise today." Lois chirped brightly. "We were
actually getting ready to watch a movie and since you are here, you can join
us."

"Oh, no." Lee shook his head. "I don't want to interfere on your recreation
time and I do have some other errands, today, but thank you for the cookies
and I know Amanda and the boys will love these Christmas baskets you made for
them."

"Interfere? Please." Glynis snorted. "You must join us for the movie, Lee.
It will make it even that more special. Now you come and sit down here
beside me and Lois you sit down on the other side so he can't get away and Simon,
would you put in the movie?" she asked one of the other residents.

"Sure will." the white-haired former agent beamed. "It's just not Christmas
without Jimmy Stewart and that sexy Donna Reed." and he put the VHS tape in
the recently acquired player.

Lee had an uneasy feeling as he sat down, squeezed between his two friends.
Wasn't this one of the movies that Amanda had suggested to him right before
he left? It had to be a coincidence. He had to admit when it was all over
and done that it wasn't the worst way to spend 131 minutes but he wasn't sure
how people could watch it over and over like they did. After the movie was
over, his adoring fans did allow him to go, thanking him for sharing in their
day and wishing him a Merry Christmas.

He went out to the Corvette feeling quite proud of himself actually. It had
been good for him to do that, he thought. Glancing at his watch, he saw it
was almost 2:00, he better get on over to Francine's before she decided to go
out. At least he wouldn't have to worry about being bombarded with any thing
there.

Francine's new townhouse looked a little pretentious to him, but he knew
she was enjoying it. Built in a stately Georgian design it boasted columns and
cornices and she did look like she belonged there. He pushed the button on
her security phone and waited for her to allow him to come in. He noticed
the lobby was decorated with a tree that was so white it was blinding and he
thought that he preferred the one they had at home with the boy's homemade
decorations and multi-colored lights. He was becoming so domesticated--and he
loved every minute of it.

"Lee!" Francine almost came running out of her front door as he stepped
into her entry from the elevator. I'm so glad you're here!"

"This must be a good recipe." he returned her hug, laughing as she grabbed
his hand and pulled him into her flat. He wondered what had put her in such a
good mood, it was highly doubtful she was drunk.

"It is, but that's not what I'm excited about. " She picked up a bag that
said The Movie Store on it and pulled out a VHS tape, touching it like it was
pure gold. "Guess what I found today. I still can't believe it. It's amazing
what technology comes up with." She handed the tape to him, her eyes
sparkling as though she had just given him a million dollars.

"It's a reindeer," he said, turning the case over to make sure he wasn't
missing anything.

"Not just a reindeer silly, it's Rudolph. The Red-Nosed Reindeer. And I
can't believe you can buy it on tape--to watch anytime you want. And it wasn't
just Rudolph, they also had The Little Drummer Boy and Santa Clause is
Coming to Town, but Rudolph is my favorite! I remember the first time I saw it,
I was 14 and it was just so cute, and Santa was so grumpy and I love it when
Cornelius says ’ bumbles bounce‘." she was going on like a girl who had
just received a date to the homecoming dance with the most popular boy in
school. "You will watch it with me, won't you?"

"I wouldn't want to intrude on your special time." he told her, " and I have
to stop by IFF and pick up a few things. But thanks for asking me."

"Oh no Lee Stetson, you are not giving me the brush off on this. Now sit
down and let's watch Rudolph. I'll even let you have a glass of wine and some
of the caviar fingers I made for my party tonight."

It was cute he had to admit. And the animation or whatever it was, was not
half bad. And the songs, the songs were very catchy--not that he would
admit that to anyone.

As they sat watching it, he looked over at Francine who was singing along
with it and thought that as well as he knew her, apparently not as well as he
had thought. If anyone had told him even yesterday that he would be watching
a children's cartoon with Francine and they both would enjoy it, well he
just wouldn't have believed them.

"There, wasn't that good?" she asked him and he had to agree.

"Just don't let it get around."

It was almost 4:00 when he left her house, heading for the Agency. He tried
not to think that both of those movie viewings had been part of a conspiracy.
Amanda wouldn't do that--or would she? Not his sweet innocent wife.

IFF was practically deserted except for the agents that had to be there.
The world was in fairly good shape right now and it was nice to think that his
Christmas Eve they might actually get to stay at home like normal people. He
was getting used to normal and found he liked it. So why had he balked at
the Christmas movies? Not that it had done him any good.

He went up to the Q-Bureau looking around for something, anything that he
could say was the reason he had come here. Frankly, it had a been a good
excuse to get out of the house and he knew he would be safe from the Christmas
movies that seemed to follow him everywhere. He sat down at his desk, cleaned
out all the drawers, dusted everything carefully, threw out the bad milk in
the frig, fed the fish and watered the plant. It was just about 5:30. He could
stop at Nedlingers for a drink, stop by Dotty's and be home before 9:00.
Once he got home he would suggest a game of Monopoly--perfect.

He stopped on the way out to say hello to a couple of the "guys" on duty,
walking by the office of Ernie the Camera who was sitting in front of all of
his television screens, completely fixated on something.

"Ernie?" he went up and tapped him on the shoulder. "What are you doing?"

"Oh hello Scarecrow." the young man smiled at him. "Watching my favorite
Christmas movie of all time."

Lee looked up at the screens but none of them seemed to match but some of
them contained some fairly interesting looking characters, including one with
a man all in chains.

"And what would it be?"

"Are you serious? You can't tell. It's A Christmas Carol."

"All of them?"

"Yes, they best versions. On the top if the one with Reginald Owen and
underneath it is the one with Alistair Sim. And in the middle is George C. Scott.
Next to him is a local production put on by St. Anthony's and the one over
there is one of the first versions made--1925 I believe.

"How can you watch them all the same time?"

"Not hard at all. Pull up a seat and watch with me for a while. I'll even
share my popcorn."

He tried to watch them all but found it gave him a headache, so he decided
to concentrate on the one closest to him, a black and white version. He knew
all about Scrooge of course but as he sat watching he felt he really hadn't
paid attention before. He began to draw parallels between Scrooge and Mr.
Potter from the first movie had seen that day, thinking that Scrooge was much
nicer. At the end of the movie when the old man repented and started enjoying
Christmas, Lee was actually happy for him. But no, he refused to think that
he was kind of like that. He liked Christmas, he did. He just didn't celebrate it much.

So it was closer to 7:15 when he finally left IFF and thought that maybe he
should stop by Billy and Jeannie's first and then maybe head for that drink.
The drive to Alexandria wasn't bad and he got there in good time. Jeannie
came running out when she heard the car pull into the driveway, giving him a
big hug and asking him if he were hungry.

"I don't want to intrude on your family time." he shook his head.” Amanda
asked me to drop this off." he handed her the well wrapped box.

"You wouldn't be intruding. " she insisted. "And I just made lasagna, hot
and fresh from the oven."

Billy came out just then, the two friends shaking hands.

"Tell him he has to stay for supper." Jeannie Melrose told her husband. "He
has to listen to you."

"Yes, come in. There is lots to eat and Kari is here. When was the last
time you saw her?" he asked about his oldest daughter. "And she has the baby
with her."

"Kari isn't old enough to have a baby." Lee smiled. "She was just a little
thing when I first met her."

"Old enough to have a baby and a three year old. Come in. We are getting
ready to watch the Grinch."

"The Grinch?" Lee had a feeling he had been had.

"Yeah, you know How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It's always reminded me of
you somehow." Billy slapped him on the back. "It's Kari's favorite and I know
she will enjoy watching it with her Uncle Lee."

He was sure he could get out of it, but Jeannie brought him food, Kari made
room for him on the couch beside her and before he knew it, he was watching
the Grinch.

"What do you mean it reminds you of me?" he teased Billy after it was over
and everyone indulged in Jeanne's cookies. "I have never had green skin or a
dog named Max."

It was around 9:30 when he left and he was sure it would be safe to go on
home but then remembered that he was supposed to go to Dotty's. Well this time
of night he shouldn't be subjected to another movie and if he was really
lucky she might not even be home, it was a Saturday night for heaven's sake.

She was at home he noticed as he pulled into the driveway of 4247 Maplewood
Drive and assured him she wasn't planning on going out. "Are you hungry?" she
asked him. "I just made a pot of chili and my favorite Christmas movie is
getting ready to come on. Why don't you join me?"

He had learned long ago, it was really hard to say no to his mother in law
and even though he was full, he ate a huge bowl of chili loaded with Fritos
and sour crčam, had a cold beer and watched Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney
dance and fight in Connecticut. But it wasn't as boring as he thought it
might be and he even got a little worried, NOT that he would admit it when
Rosemary's character left for New York and he had no idea that she had ever been
thin and beautiful. And before he knew it the movie was over and he had
watched it and lived to tell about it.

Gathering the things he was supposed to get from Dotty and giving her what
he had been given for her, he got in the car and headed for the Beltway and
home. The radio was glaring some kind of noise they called music and he turned
to switch it off but then a new flash came on, saying there was a huge
traffic jam on 395 and they were suggesting alternate routes. He had an even
better idea and turned the car around, heading for Nedlingers and hopefully a
glimpse of one game or another.

The bar was quiet and he took his favorite seat, ordering a beer and helping
himself to the bowl of pretzels. He wasn't hungry at all, but things like
peanuts and pretzels filled in the cracks very well and made the beer taste
better.

"Is there a game on, Ned?" he asked the bartender as he took a drink from
his mug. "Or even highlights?"

"Let's see. " the man picked up the remote and started sorting through the
channels. A picture of a man and a well-dressed woman came up on the screen
and then went past, then suddenly came back to it. "I haven't seen this movie
in years!" the older man got excited. "I can't believe it's on." and he laid
the remote down and started waiting on other customers. He ended up
watching the whole thing, actually finding himself interested in the story but
trying to pretend he didn't care. During the courtroom scene he almost cheered,
only the couple sitting beside him talking saved him from making a fool of
himself. He caught the name of it as the credits rolled, Miracle on 34th Street.

Finally leaving the bar, he had the road to himself. He had only had the
two beers and the glass of wine and knew he was safe to drive and he was
actually enjoying the ride. He turned on the radio for a bit of Christmas
music, finding himself suddenly in the mood.

The house was dark when he got home and his watch told him it was well after
midnight. The fire in the den was starting to flicker and he went over to
add some more wood. The tv was on and he saw that Amanda's newly acquired
tape of a Charlie Brown Christmas was starting over. She was asleep on the
couch and he sat down beside her, taking her feet in his lap.

He couldn't believe that he had been gone all day but it had gotten him out of watching the movies she had had planned for him. Or had it? Every movie that he had seen today was stacked up in a pile near the television. Surely it was a coincidence. Wasn't it?