- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: My Christmas wish would be to own the characters and better yet the leading man… J Since I don’t see that happening I’ll have to give recognition to Shoot the Moon and Warner Brothers for the characters. For Bruce well, since no one exactly owns him I wonder if he can be bought?

Disclaimer 2: Although this gives away a little bit of my story, I do not own E.T., the Washington Redskins, or the game Twister. Whoever owns them is way richer than I am.

Time Frame: After the 4th Season. Marriage still secret
“Boys, if you don’t hurry up and get down here, we’ll never make it to the store and then we’re going to have to delay decorating the house even longer.” Amanda called up the stairs.

The bedroom door slammed shut behind them, as they shouted in unison, “Coming Mom!”

Amanda shook her head. This was one of her favorite times of year, but if the boys didn’t calm down soon she was going to have a headache. They’d been going all morning, “I want this for Christmas, I want that for Christmas.” If she heard it one more time she was going to scream. It was the second week of December; they had lots of time left for shopping. Today wasn’t about shopping it was about continuing a time honored family tradition.

It had all started when Amanda was born. Every year each member of the family either made or bought a special ornament; therefore, each one on the tree was special, not just some little round ball. It was something Amanda loved and continued with her children. Over the years they’d acquired a wide assortment of ornaments, ranging from little snowmen to the latest cartoon character. She couldn’t wait to see what they found this year.

“We’ll, be back in a little while, Mother,” Amanda called out as the boys piled into the Jeep, eager to start the family Christmas tradition.

“Now, you’ll each have five dollars from me to spend on your ornament, if you go over you’ll have to use your allowance. When we get into the bazaar, you can both go your own way. We’ll meet back at the front in forty-five minutes. Any questions?” Amanda queried as she pulled into the parking lot.

The lot to the Christmas Bazaar was already packed, and few spots were left open. Amanda snagged one toward the end of the last row and turned to the boys handing each of them a five-dollar bill. “Here’s your money and remember meet me in forty-five minutes, do not leave the building without me.” Amanda reminded them.

The boys nodded their heads vigorously agreeing to their mother’s terms.

As soon as family stepped inside, the boys vanished. Shaking her head, Amanda made her way over to grab a shopping cart to hold all the stuff on her list.

Last year she’d seen a special ornament for newlyweds, and hoped it was available. She was going to buy it for her and Lee since this was their first Christmas together as man and wife, even if no one knew.

A half-hour later Amanda spotted the boys in line to pay for their items. Making her final selection Amanda took her place in a line a couple of lanes down from her sons.

A half-hour after checking out, and forty dollars poorer, Amanda walked into the living room. “Mother, we’re home,” she called out.

“I can’t wait to see what you guys bought,” Dotty exclaimed as she came down the stairs. She had gone yesterday and picked out her ornament while the store was less crowded.

Amanda walked over to the tree and set the bags beside it. Making sure no one was looking she took the newlywed ornament and pushed it under the tinsel, hiding it from view. She made a mental note to retrieve it while no one was watching. Finally, locating the one she bought to share with everyone, Amanda walked back to the couch. “So let’s see what everyone bought. Who wants to go first?”

Phillip couldn’t wait to show off his and quickly pulled it from the sack, “I’ll go first.”

“Okay, what did you get Phillip?” Dotty asked smiling at her oldest grandson.

Grinning broadly, he turned the box around, inside was a football helmet with the Washington Redskins logo on it. “Isn’t it cool!”

Amanda grinned, “It’s nice. I know how much you love the Redskins, Phillip. Who’s next?”

No one said anything for a moment, and then Dotty leaned over and grabbed hers, “Here’s mine.” Holding it out for all to see, she ran her finger over the smooth edge of the egg surrounding a nativity scene.

“Mother, it’s beautiful.”

“Wow grandma, that’s really nice.” Jamie replied, as he pulled his from the bag. “May I go next?”

“Sure you can sweetheart,” Amanda turned to look at Jamie as he presented his ornament.

Jamie’s box was flatter than the other’s had been. “It took me forever to find something that I wanted; I saw this one right before we had to meet back at the front.” Turning it around the family saw E.T. sitting in the basket of a bike.

“That’s really sweet Jamie; I love how they actually have a wheel on the bottom,” Amanda smiled, “Looks like I’m going last.”

“That’s so cool, I wish I’d seen it but, we can only get one, and I really wanted the football one,” Phillip said as he held out his hand, “Can I look at it?”

“Sure you can. So what did you get, Mom?” Jamie asked while handing over his ornament to Philip.

Amanda lifted her ornament from the tissue paper, “They had a whole stand of stained glass ornaments and this one caught my eye.” Amanda held the small dove up for all to see.

“Ohhs, and Ahh’s,” were heard in the living room as they passed the ornaments around the group for closer inspection.

Amanda addressed her family, “Okay everyone, let’s get this tree and house decorated. Mother, why don’t you go ahead and order the pizza, since your box of ornaments is already out and we’ll go upstairs to get the rest?” Amanda started and grabbed the trash, as the boys took their two bags and set off for the stairs. “What’s in the bags, fellas?” she asked.

Jamie stopped and looked at his mother, “Just something we wanted to get. We used our own money, promise.”

Unsure of what they were up to, Amanda raised a single eyebrow in question. Receiving no response from the boys, she sent them on their way and went back to cleaning. Once the rest of the family had quit the room she grabbed her newlywed ornament to take upstairs with her.

The day and decorating passed quickly as the King home was transformed into a wonderland of Christmas cheer. An exhausted Amanda and Dotty sat down to rest and to admire their hard work. The boys disappeared into their room to do who-knew-what, which suited Amanda just fine, as long as they were quiet. Amanda smiled to herself; she’d give Lee the newlywed ornament tonight after dinner at the apartment. Who knows? She might even talk him into a little bit of decorating.

Dinner with Lee that night was a pleasant affair. Afterward, they retired to the living room to cuddle on the sofa, listen to music and talk. Not much discussion was accomplished as they indulged in dessert instead and quickly made their way to the bedroom.

A couple of hours later, Amanda finally remembered the ornament she had tucked in her purse. Exiting her husband’s warm embrace, Amanda wrapped up in her robe and went into the living room to retrieve the item from her purse. After returning to the room she sat on the side of the bed next to Lee, “When the boys and I went shopping for our ornaments today I found this one and bought it for us. Since no one ever comes here except us do you think we could put up a small tree and hang this ornament on it? It’s a family tradition to buy or make an ornament each year for the tree.” She asked as she handed over the small package.

Looking down at the object in his hand Lee smiled broadly, “I think that would be a wonderful idea, Mrs. Stetson, and just think this will be the only ornament on it.”

“Of course, we will have to get more ornaments to go on the tree, Lee.” Amanda shook her head and slipped her robe off so she could crawl back under the covers.

“We don’t need more, I thought the tradition was to get one ornament every year and that was it. So we can’t break tradition. This will be our ornament and every year we will continue to get more ornaments together and separately,” Lee, stated matter-of-factly.

Amanda just grinned as she cuddled into his embrace, thrilled that he had agreed to do some decorating, if nothing else.

The Week Before Christmas:

The weeks before Christmas passed quickly as they always seem to do, it was Monday and Amanda had taken the day off work to finish last-minute Christmas shopping with the boys. Now the shopping was finished and she was standing at the stove and putting the finishing touches on dinner as she waited for Lee to arrive. Their weekend hours together were few, as Lee had been working on an important case and Amanda prepared for the upcoming holiday. She couldn’t wait to spend some quiet time with him this evening. As she tried to figure out a way to find an hour of alone time with her husband, she felt two strong arms wrap around her waist and shrieked. Then her husband’s lips assaulted her neck as she leaned back into his embrace.

Before she could scold him for scaring her like that, Lee twisted her around and captured her lips, “I’ve missed you,” Lee whispered against her mouth. Placing one last small kiss, he stepped back knowing the family could walk in at any time. “So what’s for dinner?”

Not quite ready to be out of her husband’s arms, she leaned into him. Bestowing a short but passionate kiss on his lips, she cuddled against him making sure to keep an eye on the door to the kitchen. “I knew shopping with the boys would take a while, so I put a roast in before we left this morning. All I had to do when we got home was finish it up. Where are those two children of mine? Whenever you come over they always seem to be under foot from the moment you walk in.” Stepping out of the circle of his arms she called the boys down for supper.

“I’d barely gotten in the door and said hello when they told me you were in here and disappeared upstairs. I figured you had given them a chore and they had to go finish it.” Lee replied as he turned and looked at the stove, “So what do I need to take in for you, my love?”

Amanda handed him the platter of sliced roast and a bowl of, “If you’ll take this, then I can grab the gravy and mashed potatoes. That should be it except for dessert and I’ll get that after dinner.”

Dotty and the boys were already seated around the table when the couple appeared in the dining room with the food. Depositing the serving dishes on the table Amanda took her seat next to Dotty, while Lee sat on her right next to Phillip. Looking over at her children, Amanda’s smile turned into a questioning glance. The longer she looked at them the more Phillip’s shoulders shook and Jamie’s trying-to-be-innocent expression grew. Noticing Lee’s apparent confusion to the situation, she turned to her mother and she raised her eyebrow in silent question.

Shaking her head, a grin appeared at her daughter and Lee’s confusion, “You may want to look up.”

Simultaneously, they raised their eyes to the ceiling above their chairs. Lee laughed as he turned to look at a red Amanda. Leaning over he bestowed a gentle kiss on her lips.

Above each of their chairs was a sprig of mistletoe.

“You have to kiss him too, Mom.” Phillip called out thoroughly enjoying his mother’s embarrassment.

Amanda looked over at her eldest child and smiled. Turning to Lee, she made the mistake of looking him in the eye. Those hazel eyes were twinkling with amusement, love, and no small amount of desire. Touching her lips to his, she gave him a small chaste kiss.

Dinner progressed smoothly after that and soon all the plates and silverware were cleared. Amanda and Lee did dishes while the boys decided what activity would occupy them for the remainder of the evening, before they had to say goodnight.

When the dishes were finished; Lee stepped into the living room shocked to see the furniture rearranged and a large plastic mat lying on the floor with the word TWISTER in bright, red letters at the top.

With a wry look on his face, Lee asked, “Amanda, what is Twister?”

Amanda stepped into the living room beside her husband and looked around the room. Dotty was sitting in a chair with a small TV tray in front of her, the spinner waiting to be spun to start the game. The boys were standing next to the mat with their shoes off. Before she could reply to his question, the boys were pointing yet again to a spot above their heads.

A quick glance up confirmed Lee’s suspicions that more mistletoe had been placed and they were once again under it. Wrapping his arm around his wife he pulled her close and turned his back towards the children. A finger went below her chin to tip it up to his lips. The first kiss landed on her forehead before his lips captured hers. Wanting a little more than the last two kisses had offered, he quickly slid his tongue along the seam of her lips. Amanda opened for him and allowed a small amount of caressing before breaking off the kiss.

Although slightly breathless, Amanda managed to tell him the rules of the game in a normal voice. “Twister is a game of coordination, balance, and luck. Basically, the referee spins the spinner and will tell you what color you have to place either your hand or foot on. You have to maintain your balance and stay touching all sections while the others playing have to do the same, at the same time, on the same mat as you. If the same extremity is called you have to move it to another square that isn’t already taken. You can’t lie down on the mat,” pleased with her explanation she looked at him.

A shrug of the shoulders came as he started over to the couch to remove his shoes, “Doesn’t look that hard.”

Amanda smirked, as she sat down next to him to remove her shoes, “Who’s going first?”

Dotty grinned and said, “To help Lee figure out the game, Phillip can go first, then Lee, Jamie, and finally, Amanda. Therefore, Lee can see what Phillip does and then the other two can help if need be.”

“Spin the wheel, Grandma!” Phillip exclaimed as he looked at the mat.

“Okay, Phillip you get yellow circle, left foot.”

Phillip quickly positioned himself and then looked at Lee, “You’re next.”

“Lee, blue circle, right foot.”

Lee looked at the mat, “Any circle right?”

A chorus of “Yes’” resounded in the room as Lee placed his right foot on a blue circle at the opposite end from Phillip.

The rounds went by quickly. Lee found himself entangled with his stepsons and practically on top of his wife. Jamie had taken the liberty of weaving his body around Lee’s legs and Phillip had taken the top. Somehow Amanda had ended up with her back raised off the mat and under Lee. Lee shook his head at their current predicament as Dotty spun the spinner.

“Phillip, this says red circle and right foot.” Phillip had somehow managed to stay on the yellow and green circles most of the game. There was only one red circle left and it was in the middle of the mat.

“Oh boy, here I go.” Phillip took a deep breath and started inching his foot towards the last open circle. He was almost there when his foot slipped and he came crashing down on Lee’s arms. Lee was fighting to stay up when Jamie started laughing and consequently lost his balance falling on Lee’s legs. Seeing the look of surprise pass across her husband’s features as he realized that he was going to fall brought a huge smile to her face. Before she could say anything, she found herself flat on her back with Lee’s body pressing her gently into the floor. Laughter filled the room as the boys untangled themselves from the two adults.

Lee was pressed intimately against his wife, with the laughter causing pleasant caresses. The laughter faded from his eyes as he gave her a subtle press into the mat with his hip and then slowly rose off of her. A barely audible moan emitted from the back of her throat made Lee smile as he offered her his hand, “Would you like some help?”

Accepting his hand, she rose to her feet and looked at the clock, “Just enough time to answer a question for me then clean up before you head off for bed. Where did you get the mistletoe, fellas?”

Looking at his shoes, Phillip confessed, “When we were at the Christmas Bazaar, they had some by the check-out lane I was in. I thought it might be fun and asked Jamie if he wanted to help me buy some.”

With an amused shake of her head, Amanda hugged her boys, “Okay, let’s go ahead and get this place cleaned up.”

The teens groaned but did their Mother’s bidding. The room was quickly righted with everyone working together to make it happen. Dotty grabbed the box and told the family goodnight as she headed upstairs. The boys walked out after her.

Finally, alone with her husband, Amanda turned to Lee, “Well, that was fun. When do you need to leave?”

Lee grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the couch next to him. “I can’t think of any place I want or need to go. Since that isn't an option, I'll leave when you're ready to go to sleep, although the boys do seem to be in even more favor of having me around, after that little mistletoe scene.

Amanda snuggled into him, “I couldn’t believe they did that. I have been thinking that maybe it’s time for a change in our relationship. I don’t want you to leave tonight or any other night and I can’t leave with you. I still don’t understand how we’ve kept everything secret this long. We work, everyday, with people trained to find out other’s secrets; how they’ve missed ours I’m really not sure.”

“I’ve been thinking the same thing and I don’t like leaving you every night either. We’re always together so it’s easy for outsider’s to figure out how important we are to each other. Do you think Christmas would be a good time to announce our engagement?” Lee questioned.

“It sounds like a great idea. We’ll have time to figure out family safety before the wedding and have a talk with them,” Amanda concurred. “How about we get married on our anniversary?”

“I like that idea. For now though, let’s not talk about it anymore. We can have a small celebration instead.” Lee commented as he leaned over and claimed her lips in a heated kiss.

The End