- Text Size +
Delenn lay on the pallet in Medlab watching her husband, John Sheridan, through a large plate glass window. He was conversing with Dr. Franklin, most likely about the reason she lay there. Delenn had just awakened and she wished they’d tell her what was

 

Summary: This story is after Delenn faints, and just what she and John said to each other that we couldn’t hear.

 

Timeframe: Season 5

 

Title:  You’re pregnant?

 

Author: Lynda Mayfield

 

Delenn lay on the pallet in Medlab watching her husband, John Sheridan, through a large plate glass window.  He was conversing with Dr. Franklin, most likely about the reason she lay there.  Delenn had just awakened and she wished they’d tell her what was going on so she could return to her ambassadorial and Ranger duties.

                                                                                                    Knowing she could not speed things, she just watched.  John smiled briefly at her, then, judging by the expression on his face, asked the doctor a question.  After the reply, John smiled again.

                                                                                                    Delenn thought to herself that she felt fine.  The last thing she could recall was fainting.  Before that she had been raging about the Narns.  Actually using some of John’s epithets.  She smiled as she thought how foolish she must have seemed to John and Dr.Franklin.

                                                                                                    Still, she could not explain why she fainted.  She had not been fasting and was under little more stress than in the past five years.  Weary of waiting for the explanation, she drifted off to sleep again, this time of her own will.

 

A kiss on the forehead, lightly, barely there.  A second, more intense on her lips.  Delenn opened her eyes to find John’s gray ones gazing back.

                                                                                                    “Hi there,” John said softly.

                                                                                                    “Hello,” she said, sitting up, ”What did Steven have to say?  Can I leave?”

                                                                                                    “He said he would discharge you.  And he said you’re. . . pregnant,” John said, grinning irrepressibly.

                                                                                                    Delenn stared at him, stunned.  Her expression changed to one of deep thought, and she smiled, too.  She thought then it would be some time before she could fully grasp the situation.  For now, she had only vague questions, ”But why did I pass out?”

                                                                                                    John repeated his Q and A session with Dr. Franklin for her.  He explained how and why she would have to take things slower.  The doctor soon joined them.

                                                                                                    “Feeling well enough to go home?” the doctor asked.

                                                                                                    “Yes,” she said, ”I feel fine. . . happy,” she smiled up at John.

                                                                                                    “Then I can find no reason for you to remain here taking up room on a bed someone else could be using.  You’re free to go,” the doctor said, ”On the condition you’ll contact me if anything out of the ordinary occurs.”

                                                                                                    “Of course,” Delenn said, ”I will also contact my personal physicians on Minbar to discuss what course of care they advise.”

                                                                                                    “Perfect,” Franklin agreed.  Delenn sat up, feeling herself again.

                                                                                                    “Shall we go?” John asked, motioning his wife out of the medlab.

 

                                                                                                    John escorted Delenn to her quarters in the Minbari sector.  It was her turn to share quarters tonight.  The couple walked the corridors quietly, nodding at acquaintances as they walked along, arm in arm.

                                                                                                    As they walked, Delenn considered her condition.  Delenn had conversed with John several times before and after their marriage about eventually having a child if she could.  He was always behind it, and seemed convinced from the first idea they’d have a boy.  Delenn did not care, boy or girl, as long as she could have a healthy child.

                                                                                                    She had not expected to become pregnant so soon, based on what Dr. Franklin had previously told her of the probability.  She was, in the end, glad to be pregnant.  This child would bring her even closer to her husband, and Delenn could find no fault with that.

                                                                                                    After settling into her quarters, Delenn cooked for them both, as John readily admitted his skills were lacking.  She usually cooked regardless of where they spent the night.

                                                                                                    “I don’t think it’d be wise to tell anyone about the baby before we reach Minbar,” John said, digging in, ”Delicious.”

                                                                                                    “Thank you.  You’re right, of course.  Too many unknowns here.”

                                                                                                    “Yes,” John said, “And knowing B5, word will leak out on its own, anyway.  I’ll bet they’ve already heard in Brown sector.”

                                                                                                    Delenn smiled at the thought of how Babylon 5 gossip did tend to take on a life of its own.  She added, ”Yes, but they’ll probably make it sound as if I’ve already given birth and to a 3-headed monster.

                                                                                                    John could not help laughing.

                                                                                                    Hours later, just after she slid into bed with him, he leaned over to her ear and whispered, ”I love you.  I will forever.”

                                                                                                    She leaned into him and whispered back confidently, ”I know.”

                                                                                                    They lay in each other’s arms and slept.