- Text Size +
Epilogue:

Epilogue:

 

June 18, 1995

 

Lee waited until the waiter removed everyone’s dinner from the table before lifting his iced-tea glass.  “Thank you, everyone!  This has been the best Father’s Day I’ve ever had.”

 

“You haven’t even gotten your present yet, Lee.”

 

“I don’t need anything else, Jamie.  I’ve got my entire family with me to share in this wonderful day.”  He beamed with love and pride as he looked at the faces surrounding him--his loving wife and his four beautiful children.  “What more could one man ask for?” he murmured.

 

“What more indeed,” replied the waiter, carrying a chocolate cake.  The lit candle wavered to the left as he sat the cake in front of Lee. 

 

Lee looked up into the man’s eyes, expecting to see their waiter from earlier.  But to his surprise, it was the man from his dreams.  Or what he thought were dreams.  Without thinking, he spoke the man’s name.  “Marcus?” 

 

“How ya doin’, Lee?  I see you found what you were looking for.”  His smile was wide and telling as he looked around the large table. 

 

“It wasn’t a dream?”  It wasn’t just déjà vu.  All those times he knew what was coming-- what was going to be said and what Jenny and Matty would look like?  It was real.

 

“Lee?”  Amanda called to him.  “Sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

 

Lee looked over to his wife and then to Marcus.  “Nothing.”  He shook his head in wonder. 

 

“No good deed goes un-rewarded, my friend,” Marcus said barely above a whisper, before he turned and disappeared into the kitchen.  Lee smiled at the man’s words and then felt his daughter tug on his hand. 

 

“Daddy, who was that man?” 

 

“A very good friend who helped Daddy see the error in his ways a long, long time ago, honey.”  Looking at Amanda, he smiled broadly.  “Now who’s gonna help me eat this cake?”

 

 

The End!