- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: None of the SMK characters belong to me, and I have in no way harmed them during this writing. Any similarities to any person or incident, real or fictitious, are coincidental.
Amanda sat back, relaxing with her book and hot chocolate on the cold November night. The boys were in bed. Her mother had been out on a date with Captain Kurt since seven, and it was ten now. The house was quiet.

Amanda hoped she’d hear that knock on the kitchen door or on the window. She and Lee had their feelings out in the open. He knew she couldn’t be out with him tonight, but if he’d only just stop by…that’s just what she needed on a night like this. Amanda smiled to herself. She needed him all right. There was this ache inside that only he could soothe.

Lee knocked on the window as she finished her thought. She set her half-empty mug on the coffee table and put down her book on the couch. She opened the French doors and engulfed him in a bear hug.

"Hi to you too," Lee smiled down at her.

"I can’t tell you how much I hoped you’d come over tonight," Amanda smiled back, shivering a little in the cold.

"I’m glad I could make you happy so easily," Lee said, "Should we go inside, or do you want to cuddle up outside for a while?"

"The boys are sleeping and Mother’s out, come in," Amanda said, excited.

Lee entered and took off his coat, laying it over a chair. He didn’t fail to notice the house was very clean, and very quiet. He sat on the couch and Amanda snuggled into him.

"Something on your mind?" Amanda asked.

"No, I’ve just never been here when it was so quiet. There’s always something going on," Lee commented.

"That’s true. With the boys asleep and Mother out, I thought I was resigned to my book for the rest of the night."

"In that case I’m glad I stopped by," Lee said.

"Why DID you stop by?" Amanda asked.

"It’s Friday night. That was typically either a stakeout night or a date night for me. I sort of don’t know what to do with myself, if you can believe that," Lee confessed.

"Aww, sure I can. You’ve been so busy with the Agency and…other distractions for years. Now it’s all changing," Amanda sympathized.

"Well, it’s not all bad. After moping around the apartment, I thought I’d drive by, as I’ve done more times than you’d think over the years, and here I am," Lee said.

"I’m glad you’re here," Amanda said.

The two were content to sit in the quiet, holding each other. Amanda laid her head on Lee’s chest, listening to his heartbeat, his breathing. Feeling his arms around her made her feel safe and happy. Realizing that he was sitting on her couch in her house—it seemed so natural.

Lee breathed in Amanda’s perfume, and held her a little tighter. He’d never really done that before with a woman. It felt good. He’d been pacing his apartment since he got off work. With no case to work, something was missing. And now, being here, in Amanda’s house felt so right.

Like clockwork, Dotty returned to the house a few minutes later. Amanda and Lee went to opposite ends of the couch, like two opposite charged magnets.

"Amanda, you’re still up…and you have company," Dotty said loudly.

Lee stood up to greet her, "Hello, Mrs. West. I was just telling Amanda that we had an emergency…we need a final cut by the morning."
"Really?" Dotty said, "Well, Amanda, you haven’t even got your shoes on. I hope you don’t have to go and get all dressed up for work."

"No, she can come as she is," Lee said, eyeing Amanda who by then was just waiting to see how Lee’s idea turned out.

"Well, Captain Kurt and I had a great time dear, so I’m going to bed. You go and help Mr. Stetson, and we’ll see you in the morning?" Dotty asked Lee.

"Definitely by morning," he confirmed.

Amanda wasted no time in getting her shoes, coat and purse together. They left through the front door Lee ushered her to his car.

"I didn’t have to say a word," Amanda said.

"Yeah, it was amazing," Lee joked. For the implied insult he received a light jab in his arm.

"What now?" Amanda asked.

"Well, how about if we go to the movies?" Lee asked.

"Sure."

"Okay, which movie?" Lee volleyed back to her as he started the Corvette.

"I don’t care, really. It’s been so long, I don’t even know what’s out," Amanda said.

"I know this theater that is re showing ‘Never Say Never Again’. It came out a few years ago. You’ll like it," Lee promised.

"Isn’t that a movie about a British spy?" Amanda asked.

"Well, yes," Lee admitted as he drove.

Amanda laughed.

"Why is that funny?"

"Well, look at us, we’re agents going to see a film about…agents?" Amanda couldn’t stop grinning.

"I like action films," Lee said quietly. Amanda laughed some more. She rubbed his arm soothingly.

"Lee, it’s okay. I think it’s cute," Amanda said.

"Really?" Lee asked, stealing a glance at her.

"Yeah," Amanda said.

They made the eleven o’clock show. Amanda normally would have been in bed then, or at least tired, but she was too exhilarated, to be out on a date with Lee…all by herself. They sat with their arms entwined for the whole movie, and when Amanda thought she couldn’t watch something, Lee’s shoulder was ready and available for her to duck her head on till it was over. They munched on popcorn and candy and drank soda and enjoyed themselves.

At 3 a. m., Lee was dropping Amanda at home again. He’d tried to talk her into a meal somewhere, but she was too tired by then, and the candy and popcorn had been more than enough. She really needed sleep.

"So, want to do it again tomorrow?" Lee asked hopefully.

"I really can’t tomorrow," Amanda said, "I’ve got a million errands to run and Phillip and Jamie have a ball game and then that night we have to finish their projects for school on Monday. I’ll be too tired, I know it."

"If you get a chance, you can call me," Lee shrugged, " I know I’ll probably be home."

Amanda felt sorry for him, but there wasn’t much she could do, "I’ll fit you in."

"It’d make my day," Lee smiled again and then kissed her tenderly on the lips.

"I had a good time," Amanda said when they broke the kiss, "That’s just what I needed on a night like this one."

"Me too," Lee agreed, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Lee," Amanda said as she went inside the house. Her mother had left the kitchen light on for her. Lee smiled as he drove away. Even if she forgot to call, or couldn’t find time, it was already the best weekend he’d had in a long time.

The End


That’s just what I need on a night like this

A long walk in the dark

Someone I can’t resist

A little rendezvous,

A little mystery

Yeah, when I look at you I think that’s just what I need.