- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The series takes place after the end of the television series.

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters nor have I received money for writing about them. This is strictly for entertainment purposes, my own and my readers. My hats off to all the writers and actors who brought these characters to life.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the first chapter in the series "Chronicles of a Normal Life" that takes place in the SMK universe.
When You Least Expect It

By M.C.Hart

Chelbingo@Yahoo.com

Hearing the familiar roar of the corvette's engine pulling into the driveway Amanda hurried to the front window and glanced outside in time to see her husband drawing his long form from the small sports car. Feeling the butterflies that had been present in her stomach all afternoon, flutter roughly, she took a deep breath fighting down the surge of excitement that nearly overtook her.

'Okay Amanda, just calm down,' she thought excitedly. 'You have this all planned out, don't blow the news by acting silly in front of him. You know how Lee is. He can spot it when I'm trying to hide something.' Wrapping her arms around herself, she rubbed her biceps quickly, trying to wipe away the foolish smile that had formed just thinking about his reaction.

'He's going to be so tickled!' Seeing him sidetracked by the boys on his way up the front walk, she silently thanked them for allowing her a few extra moments to compose herself. From her vantage point, it looked as if Jamie was still having a problem with his scooter that his brother couldn't seem to lick. She knew they'd been out front, under the shade of the big oak tree of their Rockville home, since the moment they came home from school. The motor, and its many parts, were scattered upon a blanket between them.

Jamie had been having problems with the thing all week, complaining that it wouldn't start half the time and when it did, all it would do was sputter sickly. They'd torn it apart last night in hopes of it being a quick fix, but thus far, the master mechanic had yet to correct the malfunction. Seeing her husband squat down beside them, it was clear that they were bringing out the big guns in asking for Lee's input.

It was a common known fact that if it was mechanical her oldest son could fix it. Among his friends, Phillip was known as the 'miracle worker'. She lost count of all the nights he holed up in the garage working on this or that. Phillip was incredible with his hands and she couldn't have been happier when he confessed wanting to go into computers after High School.

They had purchased a system last summer and it sat snuggly in the corner of their family room. That was where Phillip spent a majority of his nights, when he wasn't in the garage. Her loving husband avoided the computer like the plague, despite her older sons attempt to get him interested. She wasn't sure if he even knew how to turn it on. He was more than willing to purchase it when Phillip confessed its need, and she knew he enjoyed watching the boy, but to actually interact with it, that was a completely different story.

Smiling at her thoughts, Amanda took another breath and moved away from the window and back towards the kitchen where she'd been preparing supper before hearing Lee pull up. 'Let him spend time with the boys for a little while, he'll be in shortly for his afternoon kiss,' she thought softly. 'This way I'll have a little more time to compose myself.'

Moving back to the sink, she proceeded to finish washing the vegetables she'd left half-complete in her excitement, thinking back to the little white lie she'd told him this morning in the Q-Bureau when she'd left. She'd informed him she'd had a few errands to run and little more.

To her surprise, he didn't press the issue as he normally did when she prepared to leave early. He loved to tease her about meeting an old boyfriend while he was stuck at the office slaving away, but today, he'd been preoccupied with a case follow-up Billy had demanded immediately. He had simply nodded, raising up long enough to kiss her and tell her to be careful before immersing himself back into the paperwork.

'If he only knew where I was really going,' she mused feeling that silly smile forming again. 'He wouldn't have let me out of there without him at my side!' Thinking about the small gift hidden away in their bedroom caused her to complete the happy expression. She had picked it up on her way home, more of a spur of the moment thing than anything else, but she knew he would love it.

Hearing the front door open, and the deep rumble of his voice echoing through the house, drew her up short. "Manda, I'm home."

'Be calm and act normal!' she commanded herself fumbling for the dishtowel as she wiped at her hands quickly. "I'm in the kitchen Lee," she called, taking a deep breath.

"Hi beautiful," he greeted her stepping through the archway. "Miss me?"

"Always," she purred melting into his embrace. Their kiss was short, but powerful, sending a shiver of excitement throughout her body as he pulled back smiling into her eyes. She couldn't help the response, it happened every time he kissed her, regardless of the situation. "Did you finish up with Billy's little project?" she asked, caressing his jaw with her fingertips.

"Sure did. I had it sitting on his desk by five and was sliding out of the parking lot by five-o-five." He grinned tightening his grip around her waist. "I'm all yours for the rest of the weekend. Two and a half days without the agency breathing down our necks… are we even going to know how to act?" he muttered, shaking his head. "I've been on call for so long I think I've forgot what it means to be a free man."

"Hopefully I can rectify that situation," she offered giving him a sweet smile, leaning up to give him a teasing nibble along his neck.

"Hmmm… I like the way you think," he growled, turning slightly as he scooped her up into his arms. Amanda giggled, being caught off guard by his actions, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Let's go get started…"

"Lee, it's in the middle of the day. Put me down big fella," she laughed, kicking her legs lightly.

"No better time than the present," he grinned back.

"I'm trying to cook supper and the boys are outside…"

"Ah… shot down in my youth," he groaned, gently placing her back on her feet. "I guess after three years of marriage the spontaneity is finally gone," he pouted, trying to give her his best puppy dog eyes he could manage without laughing.

She did laugh, running her fingers through his hair. "You're horrible. Get over here and help me finish up." Grabbing his hand, she pulled him toward the sink and the waiting vegetables. "You finish cleaning these and I'll check on the roast. The sooner supper's out of the way, the sooner we can get back to your suggestion."

"In that case I'll help out with anything you need," he grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. Sliding his suit jacket off he handed it over and proceeded to unbutton his sleeves, pulling them up out of the way. "Did you get all your errands run today?" he asked as she stepped down the hallway and draped his jacket across the bed.

"Yeah, I'm finished," she returned smiling broadly, and glancing toward her side of the bed where the small package was discreetly hidden under the edge.

"That's good, does that mean you're free for tomorrow?" he questioned from the kitchen.

"I suppose so. Do we have plans I should be aware of?" she inquired stepping back into the room.

"Well, nothing firm, but I was able to obtain four tickets for the Trade Fair being held downtown this weekend. I knew Jamie and Phillip wanted to go. After making a couple of calls this morning, it wasn't all that hard to snag 'em. I thought we could all go and just spend the day together," he admitted looking over his shoulder toward her. "If you don't want to go I could take the guys down for a while, or even drop them off. I'm sure they can find a couple of friends for the other two tickets."

She smiled at his consideration. Lee tried his best to make every weekend count when it came to the boys. Over the last three years she'd noticed a major change in the boys as well as Lee when it came to their interactivity. Shortly after their marriage came out in the open, Lee tried his best to show the boys as much attention as they'd allow, but she could tell he was hesitant and almost shy toward his attempts. The boys were in similar situation, none really knowing what to expect from the other, but all willing to take the steps necessary toward their eventual bond.

Now after a mere short three years, to her delight, all involved had been transformed into a loving, well-adjusted family group. The boys respected Lee as not only a parental figure but their friend, which was more than she could say for Joe who was still came and went sporadically throughout their lives. At least with Lee, the boys were learning about commitments and taking responsibility, something she knew as teenagers they would benefit from.

"I don't think a few hot dogs and nice leisurely walk would hurt," she returned stepping up behind him. "I'd like to spend the day with my guys. Thank you for getting the tickets," she whispered kissing his neck. "I know the boys will love going."

He gave her a big smile, turning his attention back to the sink as she stepped away. "So what's wrong with Jamie's scooter?" she asked opening the oven. She knew if she didn't keep talking to him about something she was going to breakdown and share the news. Thus far, Lee seemed oblivious to her concealed excitement. She was apparently hiding it better than she thought. Normally he could read her body language like a book.

As those thoughts crossed her mind, she instantly realized where her left hand had migrated and quickly jerked it away from her stomach, shooting a look toward her husband to see if he'd caught her slip. Thankfully, he wasn't looking in her direction as he spoke and she shook herself to concentrate on what he was saying. 'That was close.'

"… ruled out the fuel pump. Phillip's tearing it apart now," he continued unaware of her distraction.

"Hmmm… hopefully it isn't going to cost much to fix," she muttered, having no idea what she'd missed.

"Nah, we'll get him back up and running without much fuss. It's just going to be time consuming. Phillip said he'd be back in business by the end of the weekend. We're going to take it into the garage tonight and check it over good."

"Tonight?" she repeated quickly.

Lee nodded giving her a look as he heard the tone of her voice. "Yeah, after supper. I told them I'd help. Do we have plans I forgot about?" he asked. "I thought we were just going to hang out here tonight."

"No, no plans. That's fine honey," she returned, busying herself in the cabinets to keep him from seeing the expression on her face. 'Of all the nights why did they have to decide to tear into his motor tonight?' she wondered slightly frustrated that her well-laid plans were going to be postponed until later tonight. 'How am I ever going to be able to keep this to myself that long?'

"Something wrong Manda?" Lee asked, wiping his hands on the dishtowel as he moved toward her. "I can help them tomorrow night if you'd rather I stay inside with you," he offered gently, laying his hands lightly on her waist.

"No sweetheart, I'm fine," she reassured him, flashing him a smile as she reached down covered his hand, giving it a small squeeze. "I just didn't expect them to be taking it completely apart is all. Go out and help the boys. I know they enjoy being with you as much as I do."

"I'll be back in by nine," he breathed, leaning against her back as his mouth nibbled along her neck. "Then we can spend the rest of the night together," he whispered seductively. "You promised to remind me what it feels like to be free again, remember?"

She sighed beneath his lips, laying her head against his. "I remember. I'm looking forward to that."

"Hmmm… me too," he growled tenderly, tightening his hold on her slim waist.

* * *

Sitting back on their bed, Amanda ran a nervous hand along the blankets, glancing back toward the bathroom door yet again. Lee would be coming out soon and then she was going to spring the little surprise she had in store for him. It was nearly ten, the boys were cleaning up as well and heading to bed, leaving them finally to have time alone. Now she just had to wait out the last few minutes of his shower.

Normally she would have joined him, but after seeing the way he and the boys looked, covered in grease from the tips of their fingers to their elbows, she had decided she wasn't going anywhere near him until he was clean. Lee had laughed, holding out his hands, asking her to come closer so he could give her a big hug and kiss as she backed away. The boys got a big kick out her retreat, teasing back that a little grease wouldn't do any harm.

With the house now silence other than the spray of water from the other room, Amanda had time to contemplate her news and the exact way she was going to present it to him. Regardless of her delivery, she knew he was going to be thrilled when he found out the truth. They had been working on this situation for nearly a year, trying for a long time with no results, and finally deciding to let nature take its course when they both became frustrated.

The truth of the matter was, until a month ago, she hadn't even considered the possibility until she started seeing the telltale signs. She had wanted to share her suspicions with him then, but didn't want to disappoint him again if the results came up negative.

With a broad smile on her face, she took a deep breath and looked down, rubbing her abdomen tenderly. 'This isn't false alarm, this is real. I'm carrying Lee's child! We're finally going to have a baby!'

Registering the water shutting down, she quickly smoothed at the skimpy material of the white teddy covering her form. She knew how much her husband enjoyed this particular piece of lingerie; it seemed to be the perfect thing to wear when sharing the news that quite probably started with her wearing this very outfit.

'He's going to make such a wonderful father. I can't wait to see him playing with the baby…'

"All clean now," Lee commented as he opened the door and stepped into the bedroom clad only in a pair of boxers. He grinned, seeing her attire, rubbing his chest quickly. "Wow, that's my favorite," he breathed, stepping toward the bed. "You still look as delicious tonight as you did when you wore it for the first time two years ago in my apartment."

"Thank you," she whispered as he eased down into her arms, pressing his body across hers. "Hmm… you're still wet," she giggled, pulling back from his kiss when her hands felt the clinging water along his back muscles. "Didn't you dry off?"

"Mostly, I kept thinking about you waiting out here for me, and all I was concerned about was being in your arms. Come here," he growled, lowering his head for another kiss.

Smiling against his lips, she nestled down in the bed feeling his body engulfing hers with it’s strength. Giving into the emotions his lips drew forth, she closed her eyes and inhaled the aroma of shampoo and soap floating around her. His hands were gentle, but demanding, caressing her shoulder and hair, drawing tiny shivers of excitement down her spine.

""Hmmm… I've been looking forward to this," he breathed, smiling into her eyes as he eased over and lay beside her on the bed. His hand slid to the shoulder strap of the teddy and tenderly began lowering it down her arm before she had enough sense to shake off the effects of his nearness, and realize that she hadn't told him what she had been waiting to. "Let's see that wonderful body this is hiding," he purred, concentrating on his attempt to undress her.

"Lee… wait a second. There's something I want to give you…" she protested, holding a hand on his chest.

He grinned, leaning forward to kiss her exposed collarbone with his warm lips. "There's something I want to give you too," he teased, trailing his tongue over the outline of her bone beneath her creamy skin.

She laughed, pushing him back slightly. "Seriously, wait just a minute."

With a sigh, he leaned back, regarding her steadily. "You meet me on the bed, dressed like that and you want me to wait?" he questioned with a smile, his fingers absently rubbing along the curve of her breast. "May I please ask Mrs. Stetson, what could possible be more important than having you in my arms, right here and now?"

Shifting around, she twisted her body, and reached under the bed to pull out the small box she had concealed. Lee watched her with an arched eyebrow, not saying a word until she presented it to him, smiling broadly. "This is."

Sitting up, he took the offered box, giving her another look. "Manda what is this? Did I forget a special day again?" he questioned with a look of panic in his eyes.

She laughed, rubbing his thigh in reassurance. She knew perfectly well what his comment was referring to. She had made a big deal over the date of their first kiss three years ago after they'd gotten married. She had fixed a wonderful dinner at his place, candle lights, wine, the works, and had a card and a bracelet engraved for him, wrapped up and waiting on his plate when he came home.

He had felt confused and then guilty when he'd realized he'd forgotten. He had promised her that it wouldn't happen again, and bless him he'd tried to document every little thing they did on his office calendar so that he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

"This isn't one you could forget because this is the first one we've had to celebrate," she returned happily.

He frowned, looking down at the box then back to his smiling wife. "I don't think I understand. What is this then?"

"Just open it sweetheart, I think it'll explain itself," she pressed, motioning to the box. "I've been wanting to give it to you all evening."

Still a bit confused at her behavior and the gift, Lee quietly did as she said, turning the box over and unwrapping the bright paper quickly. With one last glance toward his waiting wife, he flipped it in his hands and pulled the box apart, staring at the contents.

"You bought me a shirt?" he muttered, completely lost at this point. Lifting it up, he realized it was a tee shirt as he unfolded it and turned it in his hands. As he shook it out a folded piece of paper filtered down into his lap then his eyes caught the printed caption on the front.

WORLDS GREATEST DAD

Without a word, he lay the shirt down, and picked up the pink paper, unfolding it as well. Amanda watched silently, biting her bottom lip as his eyes read the blood test results the doctor had copied for her.

"Oh my God…" he whispered looking toward the shirt then her quickly. "Is this true?" he squeaked, in a very un-scarecrow tone.

She nodded slowly, seeing his eyes widen in astonishment. "It's true. I found out this afternoon…"

"We're pregnant… we're going to have a baby," he finished, starting to grin. "We're going to have a baby!"

Before she could respond, he grabbed her into his arms, and laid her back on the covers, kissing her with a strength that nearly took her breath away. By the time he pulled back, her entire body was quivering with desire. "Oh my God, Manda… we're going to have a baby…" he repeated, grinning wildly. "I'm going to be a father!"

"Yes you are," she managed, taking a deep breath as she returned his expression.

Sliding his hand downward, he tenderly caressed her abdomen, his eyes never leaving hers. "A baby… a real live breathing baby… our baby… you're going to have my baby…"

"I knew you'd be pleased," she whispered, running her fingers through his hair.

"I'm ecstatic, I'm… I'm damn near speechless," he blurted out, starting to laugh. "I never expected… I mean when you told me… a baby was the last thing… I can't believe it," he finally finished, kissing her again firmly on the lips. "Oh thank you Manda, you've made me the happiest man alive!" he returned exhilarated. "I can't believe the boys didn't spill the beans tonight…"

"They don't know yet," she corrected shaking her head. "I wanted you to be the first to know. Mother doesn't even know."

"They don't know?" Lee repeated, his eyes twinkling with delight. She shook her head. "We've got to tell them!" Before she could say or do anything, he jumped out the bed and grabbed his robe, shouldering into it as he threw open the bedroom door and bolted out the room. "Jamie, Phillip! Guess what I just found out?" she heard him yell down the hall as he disappeared. Laughing she fell back into the bed, closing her eyes.

* * *

End