- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. Promise to return them when I'm done.

Author's Notes: I would like to thank my beta's Ashley for helping me out in a big way, and Cheryl and Pam for helping also.

Summery: This is set in July of 1987 Lee & Amanda are married and about to welcome a new addition to their family. They still live in Amadn's house in Arlington with the boy's. Dottie lives with her new husband Captian Kurt
Having My Baby

PART 1 July 1987

Lee smiled proudly as he thought of what his wife had just told him. ‘Wow, we’re going to have a baby’ he thought as he hugged her tightly. “I love you so much.” Pulling slightly out of the embrace, he leaned in, kissing her lips with all the love he had for this woman, his wife, the mother of his child.’ Breaking the kiss, he asked “Hey how far along are we and when is he or she due?”

“ Well, I figure about two months, but I don’t know for sure. We will just have to wait and see what my ob says. When do you want to tell everyone?”

“NOW!” Lee shouted picking her up off the ground then spinning her around.

“Lee,” she squealed, “put me down, you’re making me dizzy and sick.”

“Sorry, Sweetheart. I’m just so happy. Me, a daddy. Who would have thought? The boys, let’s call the boys.” Lee picked up the receiver and started dialing. Waiting for someone to pick up, he looked over at Amanda, giving her a boyish grin.

Amanda stood there, leaning on the island in the kitchen, watching her husband on the phone.’ Gosh, look at him. He’s about to bust.’

“Hello!” Phillip answered.

“Phillip, it’s Lee. Is Jamie around? I need to talk to both of you.” Lee replied.

“Yeah, is there something wrong?” Phillip asked with concern in his voice.

Chuckling, “No, nothing’s wrong Chief. Your mom and I have some news to tell you, and we wanted you two to be the first to know. So, could you have your brother get on the other phone, so, we could tell you both at the same time?”

“Sure, JAMIE, PHONE, LEE AND MOM NEED TO TALK TO US NOW!” Phillip yelled. “He’s coming.”

Moving the phone away from his ear, “Thanks, but next time, move the receiver away from your mouth when you yell. My ears are ringing.” Lee said

“Sorry, dude. He’s up stair’s blasting that stupid song he plays all the time,” Phillip replied.

“Lee, what’s going on. Is there something wrong? Is Mom ok? Are you ok? Are we in danger?” Jamie rambled.

Lee chuckled ‘just like his mom,’ “No, Sport, nothing wrong. Your mom and I have some news and we wanted you and your brother to be the first to know,” pausing, “boys, we’re going to have a baby,” Lee said with excitement in his voice.

“Woohoo!” both boys shouted. “Dude, that is sooo cool. My friend’s mom had a baby not too long ago. When Justin takes his little brother out he gets all these chicks hanging around him, wanting to see the baby.” Phillip said.

“Yeah, that’s really cool.” Jamie said.

“Hey, Chief, you are not using your little brother or sister to pick up chicks.” Lee chuckled. “Well fella’s I’ll let you go, but we will continue this when you two come home, okay.

“Okay, bye,” Phillip said

“Sure, tell mom congratulations and I love her.”

“Will do, Sport, talk to you both later, bye,” he said, hanging up the receiver.

“How did they take it?” Amanda asked.

“They both thought is was cool and Phillip wants to use the baby as a chick magnet,” ‘Lee said walking around the island. He stepped behind her, sliding is arms around her waist resting his hand on her stomach.’ Lee gave her a peck on the check “I can’t believe we are going to have a baby.”

“Well believe it, because in a few months, he or she, will be here,” Amanda said smiling.

“I can’t wait, honey. So, who should we call next, since we took today off? Let’s see, we. . . could call Billy and Francine, and once we tell Francine, we won’t have to say a word to anyone. she’ll have it spread all over the agency faster than fire can spread in a dry field on a hot day.” Lee chuckled. “How about your mom?”

“Oh my gosh, Mother. I need to call her.”

PART 2 September 1987

Amanda jumped as the thunder roared above her. Lee was at the agency, interrogating a suspect. The boy’s were at Joe’s and her mother was living 30 minutes away with her new husband Captain Kurt. So, that left her home by herself. High wind’s and down pour rain warnings were out everywhere and Lee still hadn’t called her. She looked over at the clock on the nightstand; 12:30 am. Climbing out of bed, Amanda reached for her robe, she headed out of the bedroom towards the stairs. Making her way to the den, she sat down on the couch and shivered. She hadn’t turned on any lights or started a fire, so it was totally black and cold in the house. She covered her head as lightning hit a tree outside of her window, ‘oh Lee, please hurry home.’

* * *

Agency

“Billy, I have to leave. Amanda gets a little scared during storms when nobody’s home. Her hormones are acting up.” Lee paced back and forth.

“Go on, we’re done for now, anyway,” Billy smiled

“Thanks.” Lee ran out of the Agency and headed for his car. Yanking open the door, he stepped into the car, grabbing the phone out of the cradle and dialing home.

“Hello?” Amanda cried into the phone with hopes of it being Lee.

“Hey, honey, are you ok?” Lee could tell she was crying.

“Yea, I think so, just come home when it‘s safe, the rain is really bad out, Lee.”

“No, Honey, I’m leaving now. Expect me in about 30 minutes, or so, okay?” Lee, was already in his car and was driving down the street.

“No! Stay there! It’s too dangerous, they said the roads are flooding. I’ll be okay.”

Lee wouldn’t take no for an answer and just laughed, “You know I can’t do that, Manda.”

Nodding her head, as if he could see her, “Okay Lee, but you better be careful?”

Lee laughed and pulled onto the interstate, “Okay, Sweetie, love you.”

“Love you, too, bye.”

Lee said bye and punched, End, on his phone. Two hours later, Lee sat in traffic, only fifteen minutes from home. ‘She’s going to think I’m dead, or something:’ Lee stated angrily. “I can’t believe this,” he yelled, slamming his hand against the steering wheel.

Finally, traffic moved and he was in the driveway in no time at all. She opened the door and started to run to him. As he walked up the driveway, a tree started to fall.

“LEE! Look out!” She screamed as the tree crashed to the ground and a huge branch hit him in the head, knocking him out. “NOOOOOO!” Amanda screamed as she immediately rushed to his side and got the branch off of him. “Lee, can you hear me?” God, don't take him! Please, no. She put his arm around her neck and she started to drag him into the house, she finally made it in and put him down on the couch. God, please let him be alright, please she begged with tears in her eyes. Amanda ran her fingers over his cheek lightly and kissed his lips softly, “I love you, Lee. I’m going to go call an ambulance, Sweetheart.” Amanda said, starting to pull herself up off the floor next to the couch.

“No! Don’t I’ll be all right,” Lee whispered grabbing her hand and pulling her back down beside him.

No words were spoken between the pair, she laid her head down on his chest and fell asleep having nightmares of only the worst of what could possibly happened to Lee.

Amanda slowly opened her eyes looking around and trying to get her bearings back. She laid there for a few minutes, trying to remember what had happened last night. “Oh my gosh,” she said out loud. Bolting from the couch, “LEE!” she yelled.

“Right here, Honey,” Lee said from the kitchen table where he sat drinking his coffee and reading the newspaper.

Amanda walked into the kitchen, taking a cup off the counter, pouring herself a cup of much needed decaffeinated coffee, then walking over to the table to join Lee. “How’s your head?” Amanda asked as she kissed his forehead.

“Sore,” Lee touched the bandage on his head and winced, “Ya know, this has got to be an eyesore, this, this, thing, on my head.”

Amanda laughed and nodded “It is.”

He frowned, “Gee, Miss Compassion.”

Standing up, Amanda took the paper out of his hands, depositing it on the table flopping herself down in his lap giving him a light kiss on the lips. “It is an eyesore, but I love you anyway, Amanda giggled.”

Lee smiled, “That’s a nice thing to know.”

PART 3 September 1987

Morning sickness, which hit at any time of the day or night for the first three-to-four months, kept Amanda home most of the time. Around 20 weeks, her ob said she would like to have an ultrasound done. So here she sat in a cold exam room with a paper gown to cover her watching Lee pace back and forth. Reaching out her hand, she grabbed his arm when he passed back by for the hundredth time, “Lee please sit your making me nauseous with you’re pacing.”

“Sorry, Manda. You know how I am about doctors,” he smiled, leaning towards her kissing her lips gently. Lee jumped slightly when he heard a knock on the door.

“Hello! Amanda, Lee” Dr. Evens greeted the pair with a smile.

“Hi, Dr. Evens.” They both said.

She looked at the chart before setting it down on the counter. “Well everything seems to be going smoothly,” Dr. Evens smiled.

Lee helped her straighten the paper sheet to cover her bottom half before lying down on the exam table. After covering her, Lee stood at the head of the table, bending down, so his face was next to Amanda’s. Lee watched Dr. Evens lift the gown up exposing her curved stomach. Lee slid his eyes from her stomach to the black and white screen that was now showing the both of them their child.

Dr. Evens slid the scan around Amanda’s stomach, “everything looks great,” she said smiling, while pointing to the screen. “Here’s the head, there’s the eye’s, nose, and mouth.” Running the scan down a little “here’s the arms,” she said pointing to the arms, “finger’s.”

“Oh, look Lee, the baby’s sucking his thumb.” Amanda said glancing up at him with tears in her eyes.

“It sure is honey. But I think he’s sucking more then his thumb. It looks like it’s trying to shove his whole fist in there.” He chuckled.

Dr. Evens slid the scan down further, “here’s the legs and feet. Would you like to know the sex of the baby?” She asked looking at both of them.

“YES!” They both shouted. Lee and Amanda both grinned at each other, “sorry about that Doc.” Lee said.

“Okay, then let’s see here,” she paused, “you are having a boy.” Dr. Evens said.

“Did you hear that, honey? A boy,” Lee whispered. “A boy,” he whispered again, kissing her lips.

“Yeah!” Amanda said, returning his kiss.

“All right, then, we are done here. Amanda you can get dressed and I will see you next month.” Dr. Evens said smiling at the happy couple. She made her way over to the door, but paused before opening it and turned slightly back to the couple, “Oh Amanda, I almost forgot, but your due date is January 1st.”

“Thanks so much, Doctor.” Amanda said, while sitting up.

“Yeah, thanks for everything Doc,” Lee spoke.

“That’s what I’m here for,” she said as she made her way out of the room.

Amanda finished getting dressed, and then she went to the reception desk to make her next appointment. After making her appointment, they both walked hand and hand out of the office. “Wow, Lee, a boy. I can’t believe it.”

“I know what you mean,” Lee paused for a second, “are you okay with another boy?” He asked.

“Yes, I mean after having two boy’s and don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t change a thing, I love my boys, but I sort of wanted a girl. I have always wanted a girl, to dress up in those little cute dresses and do her hair up. It’s not the same with boys. You can dress them the way you want to until a certain age and then you know what I’m talking about. Another boy, though is fine with me, as long as he looks like you,” She smiled.

Stopping at the car, Lee took Amanda into his arms, giving her a hug, “yes I know what you mean, and who knows maybe if you’re up to it, we could try again for a girl,” he said, pulling back to look her in the eyes.

“We will see about that. Are you okay with the baby being a boy, Lee?”

“Why would you ask that, Honey? Sure I’m ok with the baby being a boy. That little boy inside you,” he said putting his right hand on her stomach, “is our little boy. He is you and me, and He is going to be a handsome little boy. So, no, I’m not disappointed in the least,” he whispered leaning towards her giving her a kiss on the lips. Breaking the kiss, he said. “Let’s get you home.” He opened the door for her

Putting her hand on his cheek, she ran her thumb over his lips, “Thank you,” Amanda said before sitting into the passenger’s seat.

PART 4 October 1987

“Hey, wake up sleeping beauty,” Lee whispered. Getting no response, he lightly shook Amanda. She stirred and turned over, falling asleep again. Lee thought for a moment and then leaned over and kissed her lips, softly. Nothing, “I see the sleeping beauty story was a crock,” he chuckled. He got up out of bed and went into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him. After a few minutes, he stepped back out seeing Amanda had sat up and patted the place next to her.

“What time is it, Sweetheart?” pulling the covers back for him to slide in beside her, couldn’t sleep.

“It’s a little after 5:00, and I heard Bucks, cat‘s fighting again” Lee smiled. 'God she is so beautiful in the mornings.'

Amanda nodded and yawned, resting her head on Lee’s chest, while Lee ran his fingers through her hair. She sat up and looked at him with wide eyes, “Today’s my birthday!” She tugged on his hand and pulled him out of bed. “Come on, Lee!”

He pulled her back in bed and laid her down next to him. He grinned, actually, “I had other plans for your birthday,” and he reached over and turned out the light.

Lee smiled at her sleeping figure. He shook her awake, she stirred and smiled. “Now you may go jump around. I’ve had my fun,” Lee pulled the covers up and rolled over.

Amanda frowned and started to get up and head out the door. She looked down and crossed her arms over her chest, “I think I need clothes first,” she giggled like a schoolgirl.

Lee snickered, “Why? I prefer the naked look, it’s you.”

Amanda’s eyes got wide and she covered herself, “Cover your eyes, Stetson! You bad boy. Just for that you don’t get any birthday cake.”

Lee chuckled, “you think me and the boys went to the store and got you a birthday cake? You’re crazy, babe.”

Amanda huffed and put her clothes on. Walking down the stairs, she screamed when she reached the bottom. “Lee! Hurry! Santa Claus left me puppy.”

Lee walked down the stairs and shook his head. “I believe Santa Claus is Christmas, time, dear.”

She smiled and shrugged her shoulders. “So! If you play Santa Claus for my birthday, I’ll play the playboy girl of your choice, for yours,” she smiled.

He chuckled, “Ok, that’s a deal. Now when I say HO HO HO, you turn into a HO and then I’ll play Santa Claus, K?

“NOOOO! That’s not how you play, you hand me all of these different presents!

He nodded and leaned down and gave her a kiss, “Happy Birthday, honey.”

She smiled and gave him a kiss back, “thank you, for my puppy.”

He shook his head, “that was from the boys, not me, mine comes later.”

Phillip and Jamie came running into the den “Happy Birthday, Mom,” both boy's said.

“Hey, fella’s come here,” Amanda said opening her arms out for them.

Phillip hugged her first, then Jamie, “do you like the present Mom?” Jamie asked.

“Yes, Sweetheart, I do,” she smiled, but, “I think this is more of a present for all of us.” Amanda said looking at three of her guys.

All three chuckled. “Hey, what do you want to call him, mom?” Phillip asked.

“Let’s see here,” she said picking up the little puppy that laid in the box at her feet. Holding the puppy up to her face, to get a good look at him. “How about Jack.”

“Hershey!” Phillip and Jamie both shouted. “Get it, Mom Hershey bar,” Jamie snickered.

“Yes, Sweetheart, I get it, but no. I like Jack, how do you like that name Jack.” Amanda asked the puppy. The puppy cocked his head to the side then started licking her cheek, as if to give his approval.

Lee chuckled, “Well, then Jack, it is,” reaching over, petted the puppy on the head.

They all jumped slightly upon hearing the front door slam. “Amanda dear,” Dotty yelled

“Where are you?”

“In here mother.”

Dotty crossed the landing and headed into the den, “Oh, good I caught you before you left. I wanted to take you out to lunch for your birthday and then do some shopping for the baby.” She said putting her hands on her daughter’s shoulder.

Amanda glanced up over her shoulder, “um, I don’t know mother, I was thinking of staying in today and spending it with my guys here,” glancing at all three of them.

“NO!” Lee shot back, clearing his throat, “I mean, go on, have fun with your mother. It will be good for you, a mother-daughter day.”

“Yeah, Mom it’s fine with us. Go on, have fun, we’ll do something later, when you get back.” Phillip said

“Yeah!” said Jamie.

Amanda looked at all four of them wondering what was up. “Okay, give me a minute to finish getting ready, then we can go.” She said handing the puppy to Jamie.

Lee watched Amanda struggle to get up, “here let me help you,” he said holding out his hand for her to take.

“Thanks, Sweetheart. You sure you don’t mind me going with Mother?”

“Nope!” Lee said giving her that smile she loved so much, “have a good time,” he said giving her a quick kiss on the lips, then shoving her towards the stairs.

“Fine, fine I’m going,” she giggled while waddling away.

Lee waited until she was up the stairs before speaking. “Okay coast is clear, “thank you, so much, Mom, for agreeing to take Amanda shopping so we can get everything ready.”

“Your welcome, Darling, I’m glad to do it. I don’t get to spend much time with her like I used to.” Dotty said with a smile. “What time shall I have her back?”

Looking at his watch, “um, its 11:00 now how about 3:00? Everyone is arriving around two or so.”

“Okay, then, three it is. What the heck,” Dotty said looking down at her feet. “A dog? Lee really,” she said shaking her head.

“Ahhh, grandma, he likes you,” Jamie said picking the puppy up off the floor holding him towards her.

“Jamie get that thing away from me,” Dotty pointed her finger at him. With her finger still pointing at Jamie, the puppy licked her finger. “Ohhh, look at you,” she reached over patting the puppy on the head. “You are a cute little thing.”

“See grandma I told you, he likes you,” Jamie said again with a smile.

“Yes he does,” Jamie.

A few minutes later Amanda came down the stairs dressed, walking into the den, “Okay Mother, I’m ready.”

Handing the puppy back to Jamie, “see you later Sweetheart.” Turning to Lee, she smiled, “we will see you later come on dear let’s go shopping.” Dotty, said grabbing Amanda’s, hand dragging her out the door.

Amanda yelled over her shoulder, “you boy’s be good for Lee, I love you.”

“Bye” Both boy’s yelled.

Lee, followed Dotty and Amanda, to the front door. Helping Amanda, put on her jacket, “have fun ladies and I will see you all later,” he smiled giving Amanda quick kiss on the lips.

“Bye Sweetheart.” Amanda said.

Lee shut the door after giving Amanda another kiss goodbye. He spun around while yelling, “she’s gone.”

Both Jamie and Phillip were standing at the top of the landing giggling, “we see that.” Phillip spoke first. “Now, what do you want us to do?”

Lee stood there for a second thinking, “um, okay, the decorations are in the hall closet.” He walked over and opened the door, pulling out the brown paper bag. Handing the bag to Jamie. “Here, put the decorations up in the dining room, den and living room. Hell, just put them on anything that stands still,” he chuckled.

Jamie just shrugged his shoulder’s taking the bag from Lee.

“Hey, what about me,” Phillip asked.

“Help your brother, but first clean the kitchen a little bit for me please.” Lee asked with a smile.

“Sure. . . kitchen duty, what a dream,” Phillip groaned. “Hey dude, what are you going to be doing while me and Jamie are doing all of this.”

“I’m getting the cake and stuff to eat.” Lee walked past both boys heading into the kitchen in search of his keys. Forgetting where he had put them, he looked around and spotted them on the key rack Amanda had put up for him by the back door. Smiling, he snatched his keys off the rack as he opened the door. He looked over at the boys going through the bag on the sofa. “Hey boys, I’ll be back to help as soon as I get done, but knowing your mom, she won’t stay out too long so hurry up and get that stuff up, okay? Bye.” He said before walking through the door.

About an hour later, Lee came home with his hands full. “Hey, guys, I’m home and I need your help.” He yelled.

Both boys jumped up, running out the door to get the rest of the stuff. “Hey, nice cake you have here, Lee.” Jamie said walking in the back door.

“Thanks, champ. Glad you approve.”

*** The Party

Everyone had arrived and was mingling around the house. Lee was in the kitchen pouring some drinks when someone slapped him on the back making him jump and spill some of the drinks on the floor. “What the hell,” he spun around to face the person who smacked him. He came face to face with a smiling Amanda, with her hands on her hips.

“What are you trying to pull, Stetson?” Amanda smiled.

“Oh, um, nothing.” ‘Uh-oh. She snuck in on her own party. Shit, she’s getting better by the day. I didn’t even hear her coming.’

“Well are you going to stand there all day or are you going to tell me what’s going on.”

“Surprise.” He smiled

Later on, after all the guests left, and Dotty went home the boys went upstairs for bed, Lee took Amanda by the hand, leading her to the couch. After setting her down, he settled in beside her. “How did you like the surprise party?” Lee asked.

“Oh, Sweetheart, it was very sweet of you to do that for me. I love you so much,” she whispered leaning over touching her lips with his.

Pulling his lips away from hers, he said “I have one more gift for you.” Getting up off the couch, he walked over to the bookshelf and pulled a square shaped, wrapped box out from behind a book. Walking back over to her, he handed her the box while sitting back down next her.

She took the box from him, ripping the paper off. She opened the lid and gasped. “Oh, Sweetheart. This is so beautiful.” She wiped the tears from her eyes and smiled. “You’re so good to me.”

He smiled and looked at the necklace, “don’t cry, Honey.” She nodded and sniffled. “I don’t like it when you cry.” He wiped the remaining tears from her eyes and kissed her check.

“I love you.” She smiled.

“I love you, too.” He smiled back.

PART 5 January 1987

Amanda sat in Dr. Evens exam room watching her husband pace. “Lee will you please stop pacing you’re making me dizzy.”

“Sorry, I just wish she would hurry up. I want to know if something is wrong. Our baby should have come out by now.”

“Oh, Sweetheart I’m only two day’s late. Nothing to worry about.” She smiled while rubbing her very large tummy. “I want him out just as much as you do. He's getting very heavy.”

A knock on the door made them both jump. “Amanda, how are you today?” Dr. Evens asked walking into the room. “Lee, nice to see you again.”

“Fine, other then fat and I feel like I could pop at any minute.” Amanda groaned

“Well let’s check you and see if there is anything going on.” She smiled.

After examining her and letting Amanda sit back up and get comfortable. “Okay you’re only at 2 centimeters, but almost 100 percent effaced. I want to induce your labor. Let me go check my calendar and see when I can get you into the hospital.” Dr. Evens said before exiting the exam room.

Lee looked at his wife for a second before speaking. “Are you okay with this, will the baby be okay.”

“Yeah.” She sighed. “If this means getting this little boy out of me then I’m all for it. Don’t get me wrong, I love our little boy, but he is killing my back. I’m tired of going to the bathroom every five minutes.”

Dr. Evens came back into the room, “okay I have everything set up. Wednesday, be at the hospital at 7 a.m. at the materity ward. All you have to do is give them your name and they will take care of the rest. I’ll start inducing at 8:00 so hopefully you will have your baby sometime after that.” She smiled

“Thanks, Doc.” Lee said.

“Okay then. I’ll see you day after tomorrow, then.” She said while walking out of the room.

Part 6 January 5, 1987

Amanda and Lee arrived at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. the next morning because Amanda couldn't sleep. She was immediately started on Pitocin and stuck in bed. It wasn't long before the contractions started, preventing Amanda from any hope of getting extra sleep. There weren't even any false contractions. By eight, the contractions were getting stronger, but they were still bearable. Soon, she felt a warm gush, and she realized it was her water breaking.

After that, the contractions came hard and fast. By ten, the contractions had become quite painful, but she was only at 3 centimeters. Amanda was offered something for the pain, but ultimately decided on waiting for an epidural.

At 12 p.m., the contractions were about five minutes apart, but they were lasting two to three minutes, so there was no rest for Amanda in between. She tried to use the breathing techniques her and Lee had learned at Lamaze class, but it was no use. The contractions were so painful, Lee had to remind her just to breathe at all.

'He can kiss my you know what, if he thinks we're going to do this again.' She thought to herself. "It will be a long time before he touches me again," she said, under her breath.

"What did you say, Honey?" Lee asked.

Amanda temporarily lost her patience as another contraction hit. "I *said*, it will be a cold day in HELL, before you touch me again."

Lee chuckled and kissed her forehead. "I love you, too."

Finally, around 1:15 p.m., the nurses announced that Amanda was 3-4 centimeters and the baby had moved down so they started the epidural. After all the research, preparation and the fear of having an epidural, she found it was well worth it. When the time came, relief of pain was the only thing on Amanda's mind. The epidural began to take affect after only 5 minutes, and though there was still pain and discomfort, the difference was amazing. Amanda even managed to get a wink of sleep or two.

During the time they waited, Lee slipped out for a minute to call Billy and Francine, and let them know what was going on.

Lee came back into the room and took a seat next to Amanda on the bed. "Billy and Francine said they were on their way over. How are you feeling?" He asked taking her hands in his.

"Much better since I got that epidural. Gosh, I wish I had this when Philip and Jamie were born, this is great. I think I'm going to try and rest for a bit while I can."

"Okay," Lee smiled, "you go on and rest. I'll sit here and watch a little TV or read, okay?"

Things seemed to go slow after that. By three, Amanda was only 5-6 centimeters. It took until nearly five for her to reach ten. Dr. Evens came in and told Amanda she could start pushing and then left to go finish with another patient, assuring she would back soon to check on her.

After that, the nurses prepared Amanda. A nurse stood to one side of Amanda and her mother stood at the other side, while Lee stayed by her head. She pushed three times during the first contraction and Amanda could feel the baby's head moving down. During the second contraction she continued to push and Amanda could feel the head crowning. By the third contraction, she was starting to feel nauseated and on the second push she vomited all over her mother, Lee and, of course, herself. Luckily, it was only cranberry juice.

The nurses could see the baby's head, so they informed Amanda not to push on the next contraction and one left to get the doctor.

A few minutes later, the nurse came back, but without the doctor and acting a little nervous. Of course, this didn't help Lee at all, he was already aggravated because the doctor was not there yet.

As the next contraction started, Amanda tried to keep from pushing, but the baby's head came out with no effort at all from Amanda. With one more push, the baby was out and the nurse was cleaning him off and hollering for someone to get a doctor. Finally, a doctor came in, helped Lee cut the cord and handed Amanda her baby boy.

It was about that time that Dr. Evens walked in. She examined the baby, and examined Amanda, informing her she only had one little tear that wouldn't need stitches. "Good job," she said.

"Thanks," Amanda said, "wish you could've been here." Luckily, Lee was very engrossed with the baby. If not for that, he might've has his own words for Dr. Evens.

Matthew William Stetson weighed 8 pounds, 15 ounces and was 21 inches long. He had blondish, brown hair and Amanda was sure his eyes would turn out to be the same as his fathers.

"Oh, Amanda. He is just beautiful." Lee smiled, leaning down to give her a quick kiss on the lips.

"Would you like to hold your son, Daddy?"

"Oh, I don't know," he said with a shaky voice. "I might drop him or hurt him. I've never really held a baby before."

"Well, get used to it because you're helping out, Buster. I carried him for nine months. It's your turn." She handed him their son.

Dotty walked up to Lee, helping place the baby into his arms and showing him how to support the head. "Amanda, you sure make wonderful babies. I'll leave you two alone for a few minutes and go let the rest of the family know the baby has arrived."

"Thank you, Mother, for helping out in here," Amanda said.

"You're welcome, Dear. It's been a long time since I have seen a birth and to be part of my grandson's birth...it just thrills me to no end." She gave Amanda and Lee both a kiss on the cheek before she left. "Fatherhood agrees with you, Son." She took another quick peek at the baby and smiled, "He sure looks a lot like you did, Amanda, when you were born, and he has your looks too, Lee. Well, I'm off."

Five minutes later, there was a knock at the door and Philip peeked his head in, "Can we come in?"

"Sure," Amanda said.

The door swung open with Philip, Jamie, Dotty, Francine, Billy and Leatherneck. Everyone was eager to see the new addition to the Stetson-King family.

Francine went over to Amanda. "So what did you name him?"

"Matthew William," she said with a smile.

"Oh, that's nice, Amanda. William...did you name him after Billy?"

"Yes, since Billy is the one who pushed us together in the first place," Amanda said as she smiled at Billy.

The next half an hour was spent passing the baby around so everyone had a chance to hold him. The nurse came in soon after and asked everyone to leave because visiting hours were almost up and the patient needed her rest. After they all said their goodbyes, they left the happy couple alone with their son.

Lee placed Matthew back in his bassinet and then he walked over to Amanda. Sitting on the edge of her bed, he took her hand in his and brought it up to his lips kissing it gently. "Thank you, Amanda, for our son."

"No, Lee. There is nothing to thank me for. We did this together. He's perfect. We are going to have a wonderful life with our three sons." Suddenly, she yawned. "Oh, excuse me."

"You’re tired?" he asked.

"Yes, I think I'm going to try and rest for awhile, while Mattie is sleeping, okay?" she asked.

"Sure, you go right ahead. I'll just sit here and watch both of you sleep."

"You're tired, too, Lee." She scooted over a little in bed. "Lay with me."

Lee slipped his shoes off and climbed in the bed with her. "I love you so much, Manda," he said giving her a kiss on the cheek before he drifted off to sleep.

"I love you, too, Lee," she mumbled as she also drifted off to sleep.

The End