- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Usual disclaimer applies. Don’t own them; don’t make money off of them.

Thanks A LOT (tongue in cheek) to Sue, who suggested Lee experiencing Déjà vu the first time he climbed the Agency stairs. Dang her! 2nd Challenge response. And thanks to Jennifer, too. Whatever would I do without you?
Echoes from the Past

Lee Stetson parked his 1963 Porsche 9350 in front of 1565 Constitution Avenue NW. Noticing the gold-colored plaque out front that read International Film Fed, he knew he had the correct place. Climbing out of his car, he walked down the pathway, opened the door and entered the large brick building.

Entering the foyer the first thing he noticed was a middle-aged woman, wearing glasses and her hair up in a bun, sitting at a desk in the center of the room. “Good morning,” she said. “May I help you?”

“Yes, my name is Lee Stetson. I have an appointment with Harry Thornton this morning.”

“Just a moment Mr. Stetson. I will inform Mr. Thornton you are here. Please have a seat.”

Lee sat down in a wooden chair leaning against the far wall. He glanced around the sparse office, running his hand through his hair. On the wall were various paintings; George Washington crossing the Delaware, a painting of the Washington Monument and even a portrait of President Richard Nixon. In the corner was a fake fichus plant while white lace curtains covered the windows. A moment later a stout well-dressed man with a touch of gray in his hair came out of what Lee had thought was the coat closet. Lee raised his eyebrows.

The man walked over to Lee, extending his hand. “Mr. Stetson. Harry V. Thornton. So glad you could make it. Shall we go upstairs?”

“Yes, sir.” Lee said, still confused by what was going on.

Harry went up the stairs. Lee followed behind him. Lee’s shoes clicked on the hardwood steps. Halfway up the stairs Lee looked over at the banister stopping suddenly. “I know what you are thinking son, and the answer is no. I don’t think that banister is sturdy enough for you to slide down.” Lee could hear the voice echoing in his mind.

“I’m sorry, sir. Did you say something?” Lee asked.

Harry turned around. “No Lee, I didn’t say anything. But if I was 30 years younger I bet that banister would be great to slide down.”

“What did you say?”

“I said I bet that would be a great banister to slide down.”

“I guess,” said Lee, shaking the cobwebs out of his head.

They walked down the hallway past a room labeled Film Library and entered the following room on the left.

Inside the room was a small conference table and four chairs. “Please take a seat, Lee.”

“Thank you, sir,” Lee said, sitting down. “I’m sorry sir, but you seem familiar to me. Have we met?”

“Please Lee, it’s Harry. No need to stand on formalities here.”

“Okay, sir, I mean Harry.”

“We’ve been observing you for some time, Lee.”

Lee looked over at Harry, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable.

Harry opened the dossier, scanning the information inside. “I see your father was Military Intelligence.”

“That is correct, sir.”

“Raised by your Uncle, who is now a Lieutenant Colonel for the U.S. Air Force. Spent some time in Cherbourg, Guam and the Sahara and I understand you’re fluent in French, too.”

Lee nodded his head.

“Several impressive colleges here, Lee. I see you finally graduated from George Washington. Majored in Political Science. Good.”

Lee nodded again.

“Two tours of duty in Vietnam. You earned the distinguished Medal of Honor. Yes, quite impressive service record.”

“I’m sorry, sir, but I really don’t like talking about my past. I did my duty for god and my country and I like to keep the past behind me where it belongs. This interview will continue when hell freezes over,” Lee said, agitated, standing up, getting ready to leave.

“Lee, give me a minute. I will answer all your questions. Please sit down.”

Lee stood at the edge of the table. “No, first I would like to know how the hell you know all of this about me if you are just a film company, which I’m beginning to doubt you really are.”

“You are correct, Lee. You have good observation skills. This is not a film company. I.F.F. is a front for what we really do. To the general public we make documentary films, but in reality we are a counter-intelligence organization known as the Agency.”

Lee’s eyes grew large, as he sat back down. “Are you telling me you are a spy?”

“We don’t use the word spy, we prefer intelligence operative. And yes, we gather intelligence for the purpose of national security and defense. The Cold War continues to build tension between the NATO and the Eastern block countries until one day it will all reach a shattering climax. We are the eyes and ears of the intelligence community and I would like you to be a part of my team. I want the…”

“…best of the best,” Lee said, finishing the sentence.

“Yes. I believe you have the skills necessary to become a good agent. You are hard working, patriotic, intelligent and I believe you would be a great asset to our organization. So what kind of weapon are you carrying today, Lee?”

“Bang! - Tombstone Fanner,” Lee thought, confused. “What the hell? Why did that come to my mind?” He shook his head again.

“Ah, my… I carry a Beretta, sir. I have a permit for it.”

“Good gun, quite the weapon.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Well, Lee. I think I know everything I need to know about you and I like what I see. Do you have any questions for me?”

“Would I be working here in D.C.?” he asked.

“Yes, most of your assignments will revolve around the greater D.C. Metro area, but you could be called on an assignment overseas occasionally.”

Lee nodded. “Yes, sir, Harry.”

“Good. Then the next step is special training at Station One, which I have no doubt you will pass with flying colors. There are courses in hand-to hand combat, physical endurance, weapons training, driving skills and then finally Dodge City. I would like you to report to Station One next Monday. Welcome aboard, son,” Harry said, shaking Lee’s hand.

Lee stood up and walked out the door.

Watching Lee leave through the Georgetown entrance, Harry was reminded of the last time he had seen Lee, in the arms of his father. “You would be proud of him Matt. He turned out to be a fine man,” Harry thought smiling. “I have a feeling he’s going to be a hell of a good agent. Yes, a hell of a good agent.”