- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own these characters, just need to borrow them for my fanfic.

Timeline: Post Series--Marriage still as secret. Could be a tag scene...
Duty in the Shadows

Amanda made her way through the ever-bustling bullpen on her way back to the Q-Bureau. She had just finished reporting to Mr. Melrose that she had observed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary during her surveillance around the Washington MONUMENT.

Amanda had found it to be business as usual over there with tourists scattered about and a half-dozen or so D.C. METRO police officers on routine patrol. No evil Russian or German agents had been lurking around. The only thing that she could report was that she thought she was going to FREEZE to death in the thirty degree temperatures while she sat there waiting for absolutely nothing to happen.

Who were they kidding anyway? Did they think she hadn't caught on to the fact that she had only been assigned the busy WORK since her return to the field from light desk duty. It was getting old doing all the milk runs and useless surveillance jobs that no one else wanted to take on.

Not surprisingly, this had become a serious source of contention between her and Lee ever since she had come back to work after being shot while on their honeymoon. She was ready to go back to her old job working with Lee in the field and watching his back. It seemed to Amanda that he had conspired to keep her away from the field, other than the routine and boring assignments she had recently been doing.

As she rode the elevator to the Georgetown foyer, she contemplated her situation. It was like Lee thought she was some sort of rookie again. She definitely was not happy with the way he had just smothered her since the accident. The accident had not affected her performance in any way, and all her doctors had given her the clearance to return to the field. There was just no reason that she should be relegated to duties normally reserved for members of Beaman's class, which she had already completed with flying colors.

Amanda just stewed the whole elevator ride up. She wondered if Lee would still be in the Q waiting on her to return. She highly doubted it since they had one heck of a fight before she left for her "rookie" duty. Before she left for her assignment, she had confronted him about conspiring with Mr. Melrose to give her the practically useless, waste of time assignments. And of course, he had vehemently denied it. The CLIMAX of the argument had been her telling Lee that he needed to see Pfaff and walking out the door. She was sure that he had not taken that comment well, considering his opinion of "shrinks".

The elevator doors opened. Amanda stepped out, greeted Mrs. Marston with a less than enthusiastic greeting, and began to climb the stairs almost apprehensively. The older woman could sense that Mrs. King had not been happy since she had returned to work. She could only hope that things would turn around and be back to normal soon. Mrs. King had been so good for Scarecrow. He had been so much happier and more even-keeled since Mrs. King had become his partner. And Mrs. Marston was sure there was more to their relationship than the working partnership. You could just see it in the way they looked at one another.

As Amanda reached the door to the Q, she took a deep breath to steady herself just in case Lee was still there. As she opened the door, and stepped inside, Lee grabbed her from behind the open door and took her into his arms. Looking deeply into her eyes he said, "I am so sorry, Amanda. I am just afraid of losing you."

"You're not gonna lose me, Lee. You are stuck with me for good!" Amanda joked. Then in a more serious tone she said, "I just need you to understand that I am ready to return to the field as your partner. Can we work through this together?"

Reluctantly Lee nodded his head, knowing he was going to have to give into his wife's desire to return to full duty. "I love you, Mrs. Stetson," he said as he gave her a gentle kiss on the lips.

Fade to Black